Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

4pm Elite Checkout Guarantee (General Discussion)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 22, 2021, 11:32 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PTahCha
Policy: 4.3.c.v: 4 p.m. Late Checkout. Platinum Elite Members and above may check out as late as 4 p.m. local time of the Participating Property. Members can request late checkout when making a reservation through central reservations, at check-in, via the mobile app (where available) or at any time during their stay. At Apartments by Marriott Bonvoy, Platinum Elite Members and above are guaranteed a late checkout up until 2 p.m. local time and may request to check out as late as 4 p.m. local time based upon availability. This benefit is guaranteed at all Participating Properties, except at resort and convention hotels and Design Hotels, where it is based upon availability. Marriott Vacation Club, Marriott Grand Residence Club, Sheraton Vacation Club, Westin Vacation Club, The Phoenician Residences, a Luxury Collection Residence Club, Scottsdale, and Ritz-Carlton Reserve are excluded from this benefit.

Participating Property = any property that participates in the Marriott Bonvoy program, subject to the exclusions below.

Brands and hotels where "Based Upon Availability" apply: Resort and convention hotels, Design Hotels, Apartments by Marriott Bonvoy
Not Available: Marriott Vacation Club, Marriott Grand Residence Club, Sheraton Vacation Club, Westin Vacation Club, The Phoenician Residences, a Luxury Collection Residence Club, Scottsdale, and Ritz-Carlton Reserve

Marriott Convention and Resort Hotels.

hotelprof 's Google Doc list of resorts and convention hotels: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...Jek/edit#gid=0

Recommendations from Xero after an epic battle with Marriott/hotel.

Here is what I learnt if a hotel denies 4 PM checkout.

1) Call Marriott. Ask about the 4 PM checkout guarantee. If the phone agent claims it is based on availability, ask for a supervisor. If the supervisor also claims late checkout is based on availability, hang up and call again. Keep trying until you get an agent that acknowledges the 4 PM checkout guarantee.

2) When you get an agent that acknowledges the guarantee, ask for a case number. Then, let the agent know the hotel violating the policy. In addition, ask if the agent can call the hotel directly to explain the policy. They or their supervisor should have no issue calling the hotel to clarify policy with them.

3) If the agent is unable to get hold of the hotel or a hotel manager, call back tomorrow and follow up on the case number. When the phone agent picks up, immediately give them the case number. Again, have them call the hotel. By having a case number, you don't have to argue that the 4 PM checkout is "based on availability". The agent will immediately read the case and learn that the 4PM checkout is an actual guarantee.

4) (Optional) Keep the case number handy for future hotel reservations. If you get another hotel that denies you late checkout, call Marriott and give them the case number. The agent will realize that 4 PM checkout is a guarantee. Then state that another hotel is denying the benefit and the agent to call he hotel.

If the Marriott hotel you're staying at is in the US and isn't on this list, then you should be good to go for guaranteed 4 pm checkout - meaning if they deny you, they're in violation of the program.

Print Wikipost

4pm Elite Checkout Guarantee (General Discussion)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2021, 5:55 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Xero
Marriott should make its webpage more clear: https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/mem...ts/titanium.mi

It really should say "Guaranteed 4 p.m. late checkout, subject to availability at resort hotels, convention hotels and Marriott Executive Apartments."

There is just a lot of gotchas that are hidden in the terms that should be mentioned on the information pages.
They probably don't mention it in this section as they are probably trying to keep the listings here as succinct as possible and this benefits listing isn't supposed to contain all the exclusions, differences, etc.. That is what the T&Cs are for.

But in the T&Cs they have the following: " Marriott Executive Apartments® - Base Points and Miles earning partner only (no Points redemption or on-property Elite benefits including Elite bonus Points)". But in the T&Cs of the 4pm benefit they do have the following statement: "This benefit is guaranteed at all Participating Properties, except at resort and convention hotels and Design HotelsTM, where it is based upon availability. Marriott Vacation Club, Marriott Grand Residence Club, and Vistana properties are excluded from this benefit." I'd guess they don't list Exec Apartments here as they already excluded them from all elite benefits earlier in the T&Cs.

What they should do is have the same "see terms and conditions for details" that they do with some of the other benefits (i.e. Enhanced Room Upgrades, etc.). This would show that there are more details like brand exclusions, and such while pointing the reader to where those details are.
Old Jan 10, 2022, 2:02 pm

Programs: UA MM Gold, AA Ex Plat, SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
At the Triada Palm Springs got 2 stories when I asked for my 4pm
First they say due to Covid 3pm is latest so they can clean the room with higher standards
On check out day they call me and say 2pm. I asked why they said since they are a smaller property they have that rule for themselves. I asked where is this in the T&C and they could not answer
They ultimately said ok to 3pm finally but it’s the principle that gets me mad lol

*follow up I called Marriott and the agent says property’s can pick and choose what they want to follow and under the T&C it was in fine print exclusions apply
Having Titanium means nothing I feel
Hyatt is so much better to their top tires
CO-PLAT likes this.

Last edited by cbrown5294; Jan 10, 2022 at 2:19 pm
Old Jan 31, 2022, 12:51 pm

Programs: $9 Fare Club
Anyone have an up to date list of which properties are resorts/convention hotels?

cc:
​​​Marriott Bonvoy Lurker
hotelprof likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2022, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by ChurnieEls
Anyone have an up to date list of which properties are resorts/convention hotels?

cc:
​​​Marriott Bonvoy Lurker
There’s a link in the wiki. No idea how accurate it is.
Old Jan 31, 2022, 3:55 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
The current bonvOY interpretation seems to be: if the word "resort" or "convention" is anywhere in the property's website, then no 4pm for you.
Old Jan 31, 2022, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by Tanic
The current bonvOY interpretation seems to be: if the word "resort" or "convention" is anywhere in the property's website, then no 4pm for you.
Yep Twitter team is more or less trumpeting this stance. Basically a property can decide they're a resort and give the two fingers to elite benefits. Can't say I'm surprised given the pronounced pivot to appease franchisees since Bonvoy went live.

They could at least have the decency to spin up a list and maintain it though. But I guess obfuscation is the order of the day.
EuropeanPete, KRSW, cmd320 and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 31, 2022, 4:14 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
They could at least have the decency to spin up a list and maintain it though. But I guess obfuscation is the order of the day.
The hyperlink in the Wiki used to go to an actual list of Marriott resort and convention hotels. That list has vanished. Now you have to scour each hotel page to find the hidden phrase. bonvOY!
SPN Lifer, KRSW and hotelprof like this.
Old Feb 1, 2022, 7:14 am

Twitter team confirmed there is no list anymore.

So there you have it; chuck 'Resort' onto the end of your property name and not only do you get to charge a resort fee, you can get out of yet another elite benefit.

The Courtyard Resort by Marriott BWI Airport just rolls off the tongue.
Old Feb 1, 2022, 8:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
There's still an online list, but it's less user friendly than it used to be.

Marriott Resort Convention Hotels
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2022, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
There's still an online list, but it's less user friendly than it used to be.

Marriott Resort Convention Hotels
The property I enquired about is not on that list and/or turned up in a search of those, so I wouldn't be relying on it.

More bait and switch of elite benefits from Marriott, par for the course at this stage, same with Marriott Bonvoy Lurker Marriott Bonvoy Lurker II Marriott Bonvoy Lurker III weaseling out of confirming or explaining it. Ignore the noise around the edges I guess is the policy. Usher in the cuts through the backdoor as is tradition.

Last edited by ChurnieEls; Feb 1, 2022 at 12:17 pm
Old Feb 1, 2022, 12:14 pm

It's been my experience that hotels act like they're doing you a favor when they give you your "guaranteed" late check out and I have to go beg them the day before or day of checkout for it. Half the time housekeeping will still try to come in while I'm still here.
SPN Lifer and KRSW like this.
Old Feb 1, 2022, 9:04 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
Originally Posted by Tanic
I wonder if some hotels try to get it both ways.

For example, Marriott brand only gives free breakfast if the hotel is a resort.

So, they will claim to not be a resort in order to say no to the free breakfast. Then, claim to be a resort to say no to the 4 PM checkout.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2022, 9:47 am

I'm staying at a Residence Inn and was just denied late checkout after 1pm. The property is in a ski town but the website doesn't say "resort" anywhere. When I pointed out that 4pm late check out is "guaranteed," they just responded that they're not a participating property and can't accommodate the request due to high occupancy. I looked and our room type is still available for sale tonight. How would you handle this situation?
Old Feb 2, 2022, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by rucksack
I'm staying at a Residence Inn and was just denied late checkout after 1pm. The property is in a ski town but the website doesn't say "resort" anywhere. When I pointed out that 4pm late check out is "guaranteed," they just responded that they're not a participating property and can't accommodate the request due to high occupancy. I looked and our room type is still available for sale tonight. How would you handle this situation?
Get a rep on the phone, explain the situation and hand them over to the front desk/manager.

The fact that any of us need to take time out of our day to do the likes of this (which should be automatic), along with the attendant stress and aggravation of such conversations is such a dire state of affairs. And of course the social team on here don't even have the stones to weigh in, front up or even own the god damn unpublished policy.
cfabar1 and Radiation Station like this.
Old Feb 2, 2022, 11:25 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
Get a rep on the phone, explain the situation and hand them over to the front desk/manager.

The fact that any of us need to take time out of our day to do the likes of this (which should be automatic), along with the attendant stress and aggravation of such conversations is such a dire state of affairs. And of course the social team on here don't even have the stones to weigh in, front up or even own the god damn unpublished policy.
Also, always get a case number. There are many Marriott reps who claim that 4 PM checkout is "subject to availability" for Platinum and higher.

If you save your case number, you can cite the case number next the the issue happens. The future uninformed Marriott rep will read it and you are less likely to have to play the "hang up and call again" game.

Originally Posted by rucksack
You are entitled to the 4 PM checkout. The hotels know this getting into the came. If that means they have to pay overtime for a housekeeper to hang around, then so be it.
SPN Lifer, KRSW, cmd320 and 2 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.