Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Warning - do not cancel SPG points bookings yet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Warning - do not cancel SPG points bookings yet

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2018, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Marathon Man

oh hmmmm

so they adjust to what the rate would be now w new currency...

so heres my issue

i booked three 64k rooms at a property that isnt even avail for points right now it’s so busy. What will I get back? 192 or some weird number less that equates to something they actually dont even have available?
Your hotel should be on the new charts for point costs after August 18. The difference should be whatever it costed pre 8/18, x 3, and comparing to whatever it costs NOW (already x3, hence a 30lK SPG before now is at 60K "points) would get back 20K refund in "points")

It is not that hard to figure out. Whatever "premium" costs would just be x3 to compare with whatever "premium" cost is now - if the former is higher you get a refund on that as well.

When it is manually reviewed and handled, it really is NOT that hard to figure out. You can get a ballpark figure yourself just compare the old chart versus the new chart. That way you would have an idea what your refund should be.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 4:07 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
so they adjust to what the rate would be now w new currency...

i booked three 64k rooms at a property that isnt even avail for points right now it’s so busy. What will I get back? 192 or some weird number less that equates to something they actually dont even have available?
If I understand you correctly, you booked rooms at 64K STARpoints. If you cancel, you'd get back 192K POINTS. It may take a bit as they sort out the IT, but you will get the 192K points refunded if you cancel.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin
My Ambassador emailed me today to say I would get my refunded 90K points in the next 48 hours for my upcoming StR San Francisco 3 night stay.

She also emailed me to say I would be refunded my other points on upcoming stays in late Sept/Oct and beyond sometime in the next 7 days.

Sounds good to me.
Were your awards for base level rooms? My question is how they'll treat premium room awards booked with SPG. I notice in the transition my activity now has two line items for every hotel I redeemed into a premium rooms (one for the base redemption plus an upgrade cost). I'm hoping they simply replace the certificate (as Marriott folks have previously described it) for the base redemption and leave the upgrade fee alone... or just refund the base difference. But I hedged my bet and also redeemed a base room for every one of my reservations. But I'm anxious to clean these up.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 4:30 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by mrfussion
Were your awards for base level rooms? My question is how they'll treat premium room awards booked with SPG. I notice in the transition my activity now has two line items for every hotel I redeemed into a premium rooms (one for the base redemption plus an upgrade cost). I'm hoping they simply replace the certificate (as Marriott folks have previously described it) for the base redemption and leave the upgrade fee alone... or just refund the base difference. But I hedged my bet and also redeemed a base room for every one of my reservations. But I'm anxious to clean these up.
Yes, entry level rooms.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
I am still confused and concerned it would be better to just give it to a friend to go enjoy it and they lose less
beachmiles likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am still confused and concerned it would be better to just give it to a friend to go enjoy it and they lose less
Why still confused?

Base rate + Premium, paid with SPG pts.

When canceled, said refund would be converted to Points at 3x - either into your SPG account if you haven't combined 2 accounts or to the survivor of the combined accounts (you get an option to choose whether you want to keep the marriott or the spg which actually gets a new number so I dont see the point on keeping it because it is a new account no matter what. It seems people who chose to keep their marriott accounts have less issues on the combined accounts.

Very basic math. The refund is not coming back automatically is because the system is not integrated well. It will get sorted out but it will take time.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 5:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I wish Starriott would eliminate the nonsense with the certs that must be attached to reservations and just directly deduct the cost in points from our accounts. It's so much easier.
Marathon Man likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I wish Starriott would eliminate the nonsense with the certs that must be attached to reservations and just directly deduct the cost in points from our accounts. It's so much easier.
It is, but then we would lose the benefit to book award stays w/o having points in one's account...
Happy likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 8:04 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
It is, but then we would lose the benefit to book award stays w/o having points in one's account...
I see that as program strength. You can only book if there is enough points in the account
Old Aug 29, 2018, 1:43 pm

Programs: Marriott, Hilton, IHG, Best Western, Air Canada, Westjet
I was told minutes ago that there is no ETA for the points from my cancelled Westin Fort Lauderdale Beach Resort to be back in my Marriott Rewards account. Previously I was told 7 to 10 day from cancellation. Before the "merger" it took minutes for points to be returned.

It looks like they have no clue when things will be fixed!
Old Aug 29, 2018, 1:50 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by Pointsad
I was told minutes ago that there is no ETA for the points from my cancelled Westin Fort Lauderdale Beach Resort to be back in my Marriott Rewards account. Previously I was told 7 to 10 day from cancellation. Before the "merger" it took minutes for points to be returned.

My Ambassador had emailed me yesterday to tell me my 90K refund points for the my upcoming (Fri for 3 nights) award stay at the StR SF would be returned to my account within 48 hrs. The 90K points were in my account this morning.

So there is progress, even if it seem glacial.

I still am awaiting my refund points for canceled award bookings at StR Bal Barbour in Oct and StR Bahia Beach in Feb (both rebooked with the new reduced 60K/night award rate). Perhaps they are prioritizing Ambassador/elite status guests, but they seem to be prioritizing reservations that are closer, too.

Last edited by bhrubin; Aug 29, 2018 at 2:52 pm
Old Aug 29, 2018, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by Pointsad

On some level I can understand glitches and merging things between different companies and different websites and different systems.

On the other hand I am baffled by the fact that the worlds largest hotel chain with presence and expertise all over the planet that certainly has large IT departments with the latest equipment and technology and has has been planning this for at least a couple of years hasn’t figured out a system by now.

They can certainly take your points right away so it always confuses me as to why, in 2018, things can’t be refunded right away too.

And yet, they continue to market and put forth the fact they offer great points benefits and the ability to use them with greater ease in one big happy program.

if you frame it in this fashion then maybe they should be giving you something extra back for your trouble once they get it sorted out.

I know I would if it were my company.

beachmiles likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 2:47 pm

My 420,000 points, for an SPG reservation I cancelled after the integration, which disappeared, just showed up in my account within the past hour.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by jdj84
My 420,000 points, for an SPG reservation I cancelled after the integration, which disappeared, just showed up in my account within the past hour.
When did you cancel the reservation, and when did you combine accounts?

Still nothing here...missing 540k
Old Aug 29, 2018, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by tylerc
When did you cancel the reservation, and when did you combine accounts?

Still nothing here...missing 540k
I cancelled the reso on August 19th. I combined accounts the first day that you were able to, so either the 18th or the 19th. I can't remember which day I did it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.