Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy Events program between Aug 18, 2018 and end of 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 22, 2018, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
As of January 1, 2020 the 10 night credit per meeting has ended. Events will only earn points after Jan 1. Room blocks will still earn night credits per T&C.

Rewarding Events offers points and nights for events/meetings booked at 25 brands of Marriott hotels

Marriott Rewarding Events

Participating brands:
Ritz Carlton, St. Regis, JW Marriott, The Luxury Collection, W Hotels, EDITION, Marriott Hotels, Sheraton, Marriott Vacation Club, Delta Hotels by Marriott, Le Meridian, Westin, The Autograph Collection, Renaissance, Tribute Portfolio, Gaylord Hotels, Courtyard by Marriott, Four Points by Sheraton, Springhill Suites by Marriott, Protea Hotels by Marriott, Fairfield by Marriott, AC Hotels by Marriott, Aloft, Moxy Hotels, Element

Non-participating brands:
TownePlace Suites, Residence Inn, Marriott Executive Appartments, and Design Hotels

How to Book a Rewarding Event

There is an online interface to get quotes for meetings. Or you can call the sales office of each hotel you are interested in directly for a quote.

Rewarding Events Online Booking

Rewards

2 points per $1 USD or 1 mile per $1 USD spent per qualifying event (base members can earn up to 60,000 points; while Platinum Premier Elite members can earn up to 105,000 points per qualifying event).

Get 10 Elite Qualifying Nights for the first meeting — and achieve Silver Elite status automatically.

Earn one Elite Qualifying Night for every additional 20 room nights booked — up to 20 Elite Qualifying Nights per contract.

Note: Money spent on events reportedly does not count towards the $20,000 spend needed for Ambassador status.

Changes from Old Program

10 elite nights are earned only for the first meeting every year. Previously, it was 10 elite nights per meeting.

FAQ

Do I have to show up? - Maybe. Some people have no-showed at events and still had them post. Others have had no-shows that did not post.

What is a good rate? - Around $100 is considered a good rate for a meeting that lasts an hour or two.

What should I ask for if book a meeting just for the 10 elite nights? - It is recommended to ask for a meeting room for 2 people for 30 minutes or an hour. You can say it is for an interview. No audio/visual or catering is needed, and the meeting time is flexible.

Which hotels have the lowest rates for meetings? - Typically, the lower priced brands like Fairfield, Courtyard, etc., have small meeting rooms that can be less expensive. But it depends on the location.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy Events program between Aug 18, 2018 and end of 2019

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2018, 10:32 am

Programs: Marriott
Originally Posted by xar
The 10 EQN is guaranteed for holding the meeting as part of the "Rewarding Events" Program. This number is not proratable.
​​​​​​The "up to" statement should apply for the rooms that were booked, as part of this meeting which could be a value between 0 to 20
You are correct. That's what we all think about it. So I was then confused with his email "If the number of contracted Elite Night Credits across the three events is more than the number that appear in your account we will insist that be corrected. If the number of nights offered across the three events contractually sum up to the ten that are in your account, then that number is correct as contracted."

Currently, my first meeting was posted (before Aug 18th) and 10 elite nights were shown in my account, that's what he mentioned. Besides, I directly booked my meetings on the Marriott event website and haven't signed any contract. So how can they check the contracts? Truly confused and upset with his answer.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 1:56 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
Originally Posted by xar
Yup. GPT v2.0 - Screwing FTs who held meetings since Aug 2018
I have a different perspective. The GPT is enhancing to perfect the original Rewarding Event designer's vision. That vision does not include booking no-show meetings for $100 to get 10 eligible nights.

​​​​​As for maximizer and gamers, I suspect it's the thrill of the game that is a motivating factor. I would argue a reasonably cautious person would have booked and executed these no-show meetings way before the Aug 1 (originally assumed) merger date. An extra 18 days in August gave a grace period of sort.
​​​​​​
I don't worry about those that held a mid-size event or corporate retreat because after customers spending thousands, I have faith the hotel can just do the "ebonus" system and pony up the nights to make custom whole.

Those in the thrill of the game, just like all games, sometimes you have grind. And spending 5/10/15 hrs calling Marriott to hunt down 10 nights is cost of cutting it close.
​​​​​​
​​
Old Sep 1, 2018, 4:34 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
I hope things get worked out for the people that paid for events.

Last November, before the announcement about the end of rollover nights, I took a gamble with rewarding events. I had 10 events, and because of rollover nights, ended up with 190 nights elite credit for it. Ended up being a little over $3 per night credit including taxes. We didn't know about LTPP at the time, but I did it to get to 750 nights and get to the old legacy LTP.

Well, after all of that planning and effort, I got to 750+ nights and over 2 million points in June. I was LTP in the legacy program (and I took a screenshot of it). Ironically, I am showing as PP because of all of those rollover nights. But they didn't give me LTPP. I wouldn't have been willing to do that for one year of status. I am showing as LTP in the merged program. Supposedly, they filled out a work order with IT to look into it a week ago.

These glitches are really annoying. If you paid for events under the old terms, then they should honor that. Hopefully, when things settle down, things will work themselves out.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 12:45 pm

I just received the reply from communitymanagers of insiders.marriottrewards.com as following,

Unfortunately the 10 Elite nights are no longer posting for each event. In our terms and conditions it states that "These Program Rules [which are the current terms and conditions] supersede all previous terms and conditions applicable to the Legacy Programs or Loyalty Program.

This can be confirmed at this link:
https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/terms/default.mi

-------------------------------------

I truly feel upset and I cannot agree that. Any comment? It will be great if someone in our team can contact higher level supervisor about this issue. Or I am truly worried about whether we could get our elite nights back.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by wt286021788
I just received the reply from communitymanagers of insiders.marriottrewards.com as following,

Unfortunately the 10 Elite nights are no longer posting for each event. In our terms and conditions it states that "These Program Rules [which are the current terms and conditions] supersede all previous terms and conditions applicable to the Legacy Programs or Loyalty Program.

I truly feel upset and I cannot agree that. Any comment? It will be great if someone in our team can contact higher level supervisor about this issue. Or I am truly worried about whether we could get our elite nights back.
So their prior interpretation (word) means nothing? Not surprised, but this might have to wait for management to come out of hiding to get it addressed.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by RogerD408
So their prior interpretation (word) means nothing? Not surprised, but this might have to wait for management to come out of hiding to get it addressed.
But when the management will come out? I am afraid that they won't care about our 'small' issue.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 3:22 pm

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.

I thought community managers were volunteers and not employees reflecting corporate policy.

Consider providing a couple of examples that show why it is unreasonable to change the terms after you had completed your portion of the contract but before the company had fulfilled its obligation to you. Companies have enormous latitude to change the terms of its loyal program with little or no notice, but I think you have a strong argument for receiving credit based on the terms in effect at the time of the meeting.

Last edited by rny321; Sep 2, 2018 at 3:27 pm
Old Sep 2, 2018, 8:13 pm
xar

Programs: Starriott Plat Premier

Wow that's harsh but i guess that the way large corporations operate these days. At the end of the day, they decide the rules.

8.10 Interpretation of Loyalty Program Rules.

All interpretations of these Loyalty Program Rules regarding membership are at the Company’s sole discretion, and the Company’s decisions will be final. In the event of any discrepancy between the English version and any translated version of these Program Rules, the English language version will govern.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 10:46 pm
Suspended

This is horrible. we used to only need 25 stay per year to hold Plat in SPG and soft landing in Marriott, plat challenging only 9 stay and every year. Now those all gone, even the free breakfast in restaurant is gone if we choose points for welcome gift, now they are even taking away this rewarding events? Only for first meeting?

I stay about 20 plus nights per year, thanks for the rewarding events I hold my plat until 2020.

I am not a US citizen so I don't have free nights from marriott credit card like you did. Now they taking away everything even the rewarding events, if next year the hotel experience is not even better, I am going to stay somewhere else or just pick one from Virtuoso list.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 7:42 am
Original Member

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Diamond, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver
Originally Posted by samwise6222
EVENT DATES: 08/11/2018 - 08/11/2018

DATE POSTED: 08/30/2018

BASE POINTS EARNED: 240
ELITE POINTS EARNED: 60
PURCHASED BONUS POINTS: 0
PURCHASED DOUBLE & TRIPLE POINTS: 0
TOTAL EARNED & PURCHASED POINTS: 300
ELITE QUALIFYING NIGHTS:

Mine posted with 0 nights. Boo
I got a similar email but my points haven't posted yet. Did your points hit your account yet?
Old Sep 3, 2018, 12:38 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
Originally Posted by Vince Chan
This is horrible. we used to only need 25 stay per year to hold Plat in SPG and soft landing in Marriott, plat challenging only 9 stay and every year. Now those all gone, even the free breakfast in restaurant is gone if we choose points for welcome gift, now they are even taking away this rewarding events? Only for first meeting?

I stay about 20 plus nights per year, thanks for the rewarding events I hold my plat until 2020.

I am not a US citizen so I don't have free nights from marriott credit card like you did. Now they taking away everything even the rewarding events, if next year the hotel experience is not even better, I am going to stay somewhere else or just pick one from Virtuoso list.
If it's 20 nights a year, just do Expedia and save some money. There's got to be local resturant and street food that is more fun than the lounge if you're on holiday.

If you get amex Plat, there should be a Gold status with the new spg/Marriott. That gives a late checkout at 2:00pm

​​​​​The era of easy gaming on status is ending and I think that would be positive for the program.

​​​​
Old Sep 3, 2018, 8:01 pm
xar

Programs: Starriott Plat Premier
Thats quite true. If you only average 20 nights a year you a better off using travel details (or just pay for it) as compared to spending money for mattress runs just to 'hold' the status.
The "top up" for 30 nights is around USD$3,000 so again is how much value you can extract (breakfast,lounge,late check out and lucky upgrades) from that 20 nights.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 5:59 am
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Originally Posted by yeunganson
If it's 20 nights a year, just do Expedia and save some money. There's got to be local resturant and street food that is more fun than the lounge if you're on holiday.

If you get amex Plat, there should be a Gold status with the new spg/Marriott. That gives a late checkout at 2:00pm

​​​​​The era of easy gaming on status is ending and I think that would be positive for the program.

​​​​
but that’s not good for me. Everything at Marriott is getting devalued after the merger
Old Sep 4, 2018, 1:05 pm

Programs: A: PP, LTG/1.5M | UA: SLV | Bonvoy LTTi | IHG PLT| Avis PC | Nat'l Emerald Club EE
I think you're correct--it was a rather quick and very narrow [mis]reading on my part that led me to believe the requirement was for consecutive years at a given tier rather than total accumulated; similarly, for LTPP I'd thought if you didn't have LTP under the old system prior to 1 Jan 2019 you wouldn't be LTPP with the one-time exception. So thanks for setting me straight!

Incidentally, I got quite a shock when the new system first went online...it showed me as LTS! After a seeing your response, re-reading the transition and new program rules carefully, and doing a bit of points accounting it turned out that just before the new program went live my points total rolled over 1.2M resulting in LTS under the old rules (there were a LOT of low-$$ stays in lower-tier properties in my earlier travels). Things sorted out in the past week and it now shows LTP (and I expect it will roll to LTPP 1 Jan 2019).

Overall a pleasant surprise. My wife will be very pleased--she loves the perks but rolls her eyes whenever I insist we look for a Marriott property first...

Originally Posted by CJKatl
You appear to have some misunderstanding...

I'm well over 1K nights and have been Gold/Platinum for all of the past 15+ years... This should make you LTPP in the new program. Even if you are not currently MR LTP (lacking 2mm LT points) which would qualify for LTPP immediately when the new program starts when the sweep is done in Jan '19 you will have the nights and years needed, since both MR LTG and LTP years count towards the ten needed for LTPP in the new program.

consecutive years... There is no requirement for consecutive years. You need ten years at the fifty or higher level but not ten consecutive years.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 2:38 am

Anyone have any update on the status of their credits?

No reply to either of my two emails after over a week..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.