Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy Events program between Aug 18, 2018 and end of 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 22, 2018, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
As of January 1, 2020 the 10 night credit per meeting has ended. Events will only earn points after Jan 1. Room blocks will still earn night credits per T&C.

Rewarding Events offers points and nights for events/meetings booked at 25 brands of Marriott hotels

Marriott Rewarding Events

Participating brands:
Ritz Carlton, St. Regis, JW Marriott, The Luxury Collection, W Hotels, EDITION, Marriott Hotels, Sheraton, Marriott Vacation Club, Delta Hotels by Marriott, Le Meridian, Westin, The Autograph Collection, Renaissance, Tribute Portfolio, Gaylord Hotels, Courtyard by Marriott, Four Points by Sheraton, Springhill Suites by Marriott, Protea Hotels by Marriott, Fairfield by Marriott, AC Hotels by Marriott, Aloft, Moxy Hotels, Element

Non-participating brands:
TownePlace Suites, Residence Inn, Marriott Executive Appartments, and Design Hotels

How to Book a Rewarding Event

There is an online interface to get quotes for meetings. Or you can call the sales office of each hotel you are interested in directly for a quote.

Rewarding Events Online Booking

Rewards

2 points per $1 USD or 1 mile per $1 USD spent per qualifying event (base members can earn up to 60,000 points; while Platinum Premier Elite members can earn up to 105,000 points per qualifying event).

Get 10 Elite Qualifying Nights for the first meeting — and achieve Silver Elite status automatically.

Earn one Elite Qualifying Night for every additional 20 room nights booked — up to 20 Elite Qualifying Nights per contract.

Note: Money spent on events reportedly does not count towards the $20,000 spend needed for Ambassador status.

Changes from Old Program

10 elite nights are earned only for the first meeting every year. Previously, it was 10 elite nights per meeting.

FAQ

Do I have to show up? - Maybe. Some people have no-showed at events and still had them post. Others have had no-shows that did not post.

What is a good rate? - Around $100 is considered a good rate for a meeting that lasts an hour or two.

What should I ask for if book a meeting just for the 10 elite nights? - It is recommended to ask for a meeting room for 2 people for 30 minutes or an hour. You can say it is for an interview. No audio/visual or catering is needed, and the meeting time is flexible.

Which hotels have the lowest rates for meetings? - Typically, the lower priced brands like Fairfield, Courtyard, etc., have small meeting rooms that can be less expensive. But it depends on the location.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy Events program between Aug 18, 2018 and end of 2019

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2018, 4:40 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by bhrubin
Come on, everyone. The T&Cs aren't clear to some and are clear to others.

The final say will be revealed in due course. Let's wait until that information is released by Marriott.

The continued back and forth discussion about punctuation and grammatical use is not productive or helpful at all. It's just clogging up the thread and posting updates unnecessarily for those of us looking for actually useful information.
The final say of how it’s implemented will be revealed, but that doesn’t change the fact that the wording is not clear.

I think it’s clear they at least want you to think “first” means only, but they don’t say actually say “only.”

I don’t know for sure, didn’t someone say the previous wording was similar?
Old Aug 21, 2018, 5:34 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, MR Titanium, MR LTP, AA EP, UA Silver
Here’s the e-mail I received when my mid-July meeting was posted by the property earlier this afternoon. This was my first meeting of the year.
Marriott Rewards or The Ritz-Carlton Rewards Member: XXXX

THANK YOU FOR HOSTING YOUR RECENT MEETING OR EVENT WITH US.

This message confirms the following was posted to your account:

PROPERTY NAME: XXXXXXX

EVENT DATES: 07/xx/2018

REFERENCE NUMBER:

DATE POSTED: 08/21/2018

BASE POINTS EARNED: 200
ELITE POINTS EARNED: 100
PURCHASED BONUS POINTS: 0
PURCHASED DOUBLE & TRIPLE POINTS: 0
TOTAL EARNED & PURCHASED POINTS: 300
ELITE QUALIFYING NIGHTS: 10.00
This meeting or event will count toward your qualification for Elite membership.
miles4CDG, bhrubin and xar like this.

Last edited by LedgeT; Aug 21, 2018 at 5:48 pm
Old Aug 21, 2018, 5:47 pm

@LedgeT was that your first meeting of the year?
Old Aug 21, 2018, 5:48 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, MR Titanium, MR LTP, AA EP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by nycbklynsfo
@LedgeT was that your first meeting of the year?
Yes; updated my post to indicate same.
phltraveler and bhrubin like this.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 10:05 pm

Programs: AY+ Platsku, CM Silver, Frontier Elite 100K, Marriott Gold and LT Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador.
I'll share my story

Well, leaving behind my suffering for discovering this wonderful option.. a little late (actually like 8 years late!!)
I said better late than never and managed to squeeze 3 meetings last week, carefully following all the wonderful information you guys provided.

For the first property, a CY, I made two separate contracts in different days, just to be sure.. the contract didn't even have a dedicated space to enter the MR number, but the event coordinator found a place to put it on the contract, sadly at then end when I mentioned if she can post the meetings on the GPT prior to 18 Aug, just to avoid any possible mess or collapse of the system (those were my arguments) I got the dreaded 'Marriott tells me to wait 10 days after the meeting to post it on the GPT' so I'm still waiting for those.

As for the second property, a Marriott (where I held the third an sadly last meeting, Aug 17), I didn't mentioned anything about GPT or posting it as soon as possible, on 20th I received my first lovely email:

Marriott Rewards or The Ritz-Carlton Rewards Member: VENEZUELA-MIAMI

THANK YOU FOR HOSTING YOUR RECENT MEETING OR EVENT WITH US.

This message confirms the following was posted to your account:

PROPERTY NAME: SOMEWHERE IN SOUTH AMERICA

EVENT DATES: 08/17/2018 - 08/17/2018

REFERENCE NUMBER:

DATE POSTED: 08/20/2018

BASE POINTS EARNED: 160
ELITE POINTS EARNED: 80
PURCHASED BONUS POINTS: 0
PURCHASED DOUBLE & TRIPLE POINTS: 0
TOTAL EARNED & PURCHASED POINTS: 240
ELITE QUALIFYING NIGHTS: 10.00

This meeting or event will count toward your qualification for Elite membership

Now I'm patiently waiting for the first two meetings to post, but I have the feeling reading the discussion that I won't get the 10 EQN each automatically, I do have the contracts and all stuff but it's really lovely when everything flows effortlessly
xar likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 11:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I'm not against this restriction, but here's what bothers me as someone who plans a good deal of events. If I book a small event with 20 rooms over 5 nights at a Fairfield Inn for $100/RM/Night, that's a total of $10,000. I would get 10 Elite Nights. Hell, let's take it to the max, and say it's 40 rooms and I can max out at 20 Elite Nights for $20,000.

BUT, for an event at the Marriott Marquis Times Square where I'm renting out multiple spaces for 1200 people for the day, and spending upwards of $150,000...I get no Elite Nights.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 9:00 am

So I only just learned about this, so I completely missed out on the good ol' days, but am still interested because it looks like I'm going to be about 8 nights short of requalifying for platinum this year, so even if I can only get 10 nights total, that is useful to me. A bit up in the thread, I read someone referring to a phone rep saying that the meetings would also require at least one hotel room to earn anything. Does anyone know if that was just the rep talking nonsense or if that's a new requirement? I think it would have been mentioned more if that was in the new T&C's so pardon me if this is a stupid question, but I just wanted to check before looking into booking my first meeting. Thanks!

Last edited by J_Dub; Aug 22, 2018 at 9:16 am Reason: Left out a word
Old Aug 22, 2018, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by J_Dub
So I only just learned about this, so I completely missed out on the good ol' days, but am still interested because it looks like I'm going to be about 8 nights short of requalifying for platinum this year, so even if I can only get 10 nights total, that is useful to me. A bit up in the thread, I read someone referring to a phone rep saying that the meetings would also require at least one room to earn anything. Does anyone know if that was just the rep talking nonsense or if that's a new requirement? I think it would have been mentioned more if that was in the new T&C's so pardon me if this is a stupid question, but I just wanted to check before looking into booking my first meeting. Thanks!
It's a confusion of MR having two different programs, one that dealt with guest rooms and a different one that dealt with meeting rooms. It's not uncommon for the CSRs to make up rules instead of doing the research. HUCA gets heavily used to find someone knowledgeable and/or willing to do the work. Book the meeting online and it should be a simple process.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by RogerD408
It's a confusion of MR having two different programs, one that dealt with guest rooms and a different one that dealt with meeting rooms. It's not uncommon for the CSRs to make up rules instead of doing the research. HUCA gets heavily used to find someone knowledgeable and/or willing to do the work. Book the meeting online and it should be a simple process.
Thanks!
Old Aug 22, 2018, 12:07 pm

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Has anyone started the process for claiming the missing EQNs? I think it's pretty clear by now that these won't be posting by themselves at a later stage.

I have never made a retro claim and the website only has the option to claim for actual stays, not other earning activity. Is there an e-mail for other claims?
emag_eh7 likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 1:31 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
Originally Posted by DMPHL
I'm not against this restriction, but here's what bothers me as someone who plans a good deal of events. If I book a small event with 20 rooms over 5 nights at a Fairfield Inn for $100/RM/Night, that's a total of $10,000. I would get 10 Elite Nights. Hell, let's take it to the max, and say it's 40 rooms and I can max out at 20 Elite Nights for $20,000.

BUT, for an event at the Marriott Marquis Times Square where I'm renting out multiple spaces for 1200 people for the day, and spending upwards of $150,000...I get no Elite Nights.
I tend to believe event organizers chose Marriott Marquis Time Square mainly for hard product factors like location, pricing, service and capacity. The elite nights and points are lower on priority factors. Like you won't host 1200 people on a Fairfield Inn even if they give you 100 elite nights because the place just doesn't fit.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 7:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by yeunganson
I tend to believe event organizers chose Marriott Marquis Time Square mainly for hard product factors like location, pricing, service and capacity. The elite nights and points are lower on priority factors. Like you won't host 1200 people on a Fairfield Inn even if they give you 100 elite nights because the place just doesn't fit.
Absolutely. That's why I've chosen it before for large events (minus pricing...it is not a cheap venue at all lol). I'm just saying, the incentive structure is off when it comes to Elite Nights awarded. Granted, if we want the location, there isn't much choice in that area for a group that size (Sheraton being the other one), so I guess there isn't much need for an incentive.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by RafKa
Has anyone started the process for claiming the missing EQNs? I think it's pretty clear by now that these won't be posting by themselves at a later stage.

I have never made a retro claim and the website only has the option to claim for actual stays, not other earning activity. Is there an e-mail for other claims?
No, it's not clear. There are too many moving parts still happening I can see them suspending transactions until the system is more stable. I believe the AMEX postings are also being delayed.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 8:15 am

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Originally Posted by RogerD408
No, it's not clear. There are too many moving parts still happening I can see them suspending transactions until the system is more stable. I believe the AMEX postings are also being delayed.
I wish I could be as optimistic as you, but let's face it: members reporting first meeting awarding 10.00 EQNs and none for subsequent meetings make it all too clear that only the first meeting (of the year) will yield EQNs going forward. It looks like the code has been written to take that into account from Aug 18, ignoring the prior T&Cs for any meetings held prior to that.

As you mention, there are still missing Amex points, reservations, and SPG stays for all of Aug, so I believe amending pre-08/18 Rewarding Events will be very low on their priority list, if at all. I'll give it a few more days as I believe their CSRs will be currently flooded, and then gear up for a probably lengthy process of claiming those EQNs.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RafKa
I wish I could be as optimistic as you, but let's face it: members reporting first meeting awarding 10.00 EQNs and none for subsequent meetings make it all too clear that only the first meeting (of the year) will yield EQNs going forward. It looks like the code has been written to take that into account from Aug 18, ignoring the prior T&Cs for any meetings held prior to that.

As you mention, there are still missing Amex points, reservations, and SPG stays for all of Aug, so I believe amending pre-08/18 Rewarding Events will be very low on their priority list, if at all. I'll give it a few more days as I believe their CSRs will be currently flooded, and then gear up for a probably lengthy process of claiming those EQNs.
Remains to be seen. They have a lot of work to do still. Remember, CSRs often will make up rules to fit what's happening without knowing/looking at what should have happen. You get to set your tolerance level, but I'd keep checking here to see what others experience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.