Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Declining Housekeeping to Receive Points is Becoming a Scam

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Declining Housekeeping to Receive Points is Becoming a Scam

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2019, 9:29 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Does Green Choice still exist in practice? Points never post

Our of the last five multi-night stays I have been at (at 4 different hotels in three different cities) I have not received Green Choice points. Across 9 paid multi-night stays this year at properties that participate in MAGC, I've received points exactly once despite resorting to reminding them at check-in that I want green choice and putting the placard up (if the hotel uses placards).

Am I just having bad luck? Are others experiencing this? Back in the days when MAGC actually meant something (500 SPG points as opposed to 500 Bonvoy points) I used to make a bigger deal about it, but I have trouble justifying the call to the hotel for a few dollars worth of points. Do hotels know most people won't bother and are taking advantage of this and saving a few bucks by not posting (especially aided by the ambiguity of "bonus" points on the Marriott site)?

It is starting to add up - I'm "owed" at least 10K points this year from green choice.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Recent discussions here:

Make a Green Choice (MAGC) Decline Housekeeping Discussion Thread
Old Apr 2, 2019, 10:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Yours is not an uncommon complaint. I used to MAGC at Starwoods often, but do not at Marriott.

Given the number of Marriott properties around the world that use disposable utensils and styrofoam plates at breakfast, I'm not convinced they particularly care about the environment. But if they restored MAGC to its former level (which would be 1500 Bonvoy points/nt), I'd happily save 'em the housekeeping labor.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 1:47 pm

I never get the points.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 3:38 pm

I could have sworn I just read a thread about this and posted in it. Just as a DP, I did the green choice for both Courtyard Portland downtown and Residence Inn PDX/Cascade Station. At Courtyard, it was a cash stay, I had the Green Choice points post with the stay points. For both my room and the room I helped book for my friend/colleague.
The RI stay was on points so my activity log initially just showed I stayed there and the elite night credits I got. I did get the green choice points a little later.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 6:22 pm

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,
I have yet to have MAGC points post automatically in at least 6 months. I'm getting really tired of having to chase down 500-1500 Marriott points every single time. I've even taken to stopping at the front desk on check-out and asking whether they've marked I did MAGC. Still doesn't work. Sigh.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Sounds like a systemic problem, and from the likely broad non-posting of points, Marriott is benefiting from it significantly. They don't service your room and you don't get your points, so the hotel is saving money.

While the program is currently not worth it to take advantage of forgoing the service for the 500 points, if one does choose then you absolutely should go after it out of principle. Don't let Marriott get away with it since it is likely thousands of people not getting their points.

Send the obligatory email to customer service and hopefully you'll get a reply in 2-3 weeks with the points posting.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 8:57 pm

Programs: UA SP, DL SM MM, AS 75K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond.
It was already devalued with the conversion of 500 SPG points to 500 Bonvoy pesos...now they want to make it 250. Nah, ain't worth, I'll keep providing a maid their job. Thanks Arne, but no thanks, such a cheapskate.
justforfun and acrophobia like this.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 12:04 am
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
They are all about cut backs
Old Apr 3, 2019, 2:14 am

It’s a PITA and a triple whammy rip-off: first, the devaluation x3 in SPG terms, then the suggestion of further cut from 500 to 250, add to that the fact that the bloody points rarely post without follow-up. They’re really cocking a snoot at members on this one.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 4:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by transportbiz
It was already devalued with the conversion of 500 SPG points to 500 Bonvoy pesos...now they want to make it 250.
Thanks for posting; I was unaware. So for an ex-SPGer like myself, it's gone from 500 points to 167; and they want to reduce it further to 83? I agree. 83 Bonvoy points is not enough to interest me in this tradeoff.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Thanks for posting; I was unaware. So for an ex-SPGer like myself, it's gone from 500 points to 167; and they want to reduce it further to 83? I agree. 83 Bonvoy points is not enough to interest me in this tradeoff.
No, it's still 500 BONVoY points and maybe will become 250 BONVoY points. SPG points don't exist anymore. Granted the value of BONVoY points continue to drop and even at 500, that's not a lot. But 500/250 BONVoY points is better than nothing for something you really don't need anyway (daily housekeeping). As for making a statement of being environmentally friendly, that's a bunch of bull. One, the difference is minimal and if it does result in reduced staffing, I see that as a negative for the environment (social environment that is) with fewer employed members able to support themselves and their family. Like with other issues, Marriott has taken the "me too" approach of offering a service in name only and not deliver any substance. I have seen this happen with other companies and believe the founders would be upset if anyone on their staff suggested such actions.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 8:05 am

Programs: AA EXP/CK, SPG LT Platinum(RIP), Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
I stopped making a "Green Choice" after the first few times because the points never posted, and I could not be bothered to spend multiple 30 minute+ phone calls to try and get it resolved. Marriott should just retire this program rather than continue to create ill-will from its guest for failing to deliver on an agreement where the guest takes on all the risk with none of the reward. Just my 2 cents.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 8:14 am

Programs: UA GOLD MM,WN CP A+list, HH Gold,MR LT Titanium
Originally Posted by RogerD408
No, it's still 500 BONVoY points and maybe will become 250 BONVoY points. SPG points don't exist anymore. Granted the value of BONVoY points continue to drop and even at 500, that's not a lot. But 500/250 BONVoY points is better than nothing for something you really don't need anyway (daily housekeeping).
This is my feeling about the MAGC points,which almost never post for me, despite the app, chat and FD confirming my choices. I usually decline housekeeping anyway,so to me these are free points.

I email CS and the points post immediately after someone actually addresses my email,which can take weeks.

Oddly, on the rare occasion that the points post correctly with the stay, it is usually the limited service properties,mostly SHS
Old Apr 3, 2019, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by penlin
Just my 2 cents.
In BONVoY currency, that's .666 cents!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.