Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Make a Green Choice (MAGC) Decline Housekeeping Discussion Thread

Make a Green Choice (MAGC) Decline Housekeeping Discussion Thread

Old Mar 2, 19, 6:56 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Typically, I have had to call for my Green choice points to post.
When available, I select $ credit to spend at the hotel. That way I am sure I get the credit.
Old Mar 3, 19, 7:13 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum
250 Bonvoy points is worth about $2 when you can get it. I am not sure it is something worth chasing after. Before the merger, I used to get 500 SPG points, or $5 credit on my bill.
Old Mar 3, 19, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by guear View Post
Is it still limited to 3 days only?
Pretty much a property call. Some don't limit it at all, some say every 3 days claiming a welfare check is needed (both for people and their room). Some say only one 3-day offering regardless of length of stay. I don't think the T&Cs are specific.
Old Mar 4, 19, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by RogerD408 View Post
Pretty much a property call. Some don't limit it at all, some say every 3 days claiming a welfare check is needed (both for people and their room). Some say only one 3-day offering regardless of length of stay. I don't think the T&Cs are specific.
Oh I always thought it was 3-day limit for all properties. Thanks
Old Mar 4, 19, 5:30 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, Cathay Pacific Gold
Last week at a Renaissance in Europe I noticed that I could request MAGC in my reservation on the Marriott app as long as I did so before 2am (or thereabouts).

I did so. In the morning the submitted request had been acknowledged on the app.

Needless to say, when the stay posted a day after check out the MAGC points were not included.
Old Mar 8, 19, 5:02 pm

Programs: AA EP 4+ million miles, Ambassador+ Elite
Green Choice

Just experienced the 2nd hotel, where I have stayed previously, that no longer offers the Green Choice "because we are a union hotel". Has anyone else run into this? Is this a Marriott "thing" or what?
Old Mar 8, 19, 5:39 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG PLT (LT Gold), TK Gold, M&M S, BA Silver, Hyatt Dia
I don't bother anymore due to the low points earning
TV guy and Ubud like this.
Old Mar 8, 19, 5:49 pm

Location: Somewhere between Toledo and Atlanta but Washington DC will always be home.
Programs: Starriott Plat, Avis Presidents Club, Whatever Airline is going where I want to go
Originally Posted by ExpatSomchai View Post
I don't bother anymore due to the low points earning
I still do it, mainly because I'm not going to need/want housekeeping anyway on a short stay. But, what has been really getting under my skin is I can count on one hand the number of times the MAGC points posted automatically without me calling hotel and/or customer service.
Old Mar 8, 19, 10:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat (100) , Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by EdofFX View Post
250 Bonvoy points is worth about $2 when you can get it. I am not sure it is something worth chasing after. Before the merger, I used to get 500 SPG points, or $5 credit on my bill.
This was a 'secret' downgrade in points. SPG was 500 points per night. Actually a really good deal. Travel 3 nights for 50 weeks a year and you got 50,000 points for no effort, which could have been 5 nights in Hawaii.

I realized later that while they when 3* SPG on dollars etc they didn't go 3* on green choice I'm pretty indifferent to the points now. After years of doing it I just prefer to keep them out of my room.

And who makes their bed in the hotel with Green Choice.

Of course they 'lose' on the fact that I don't turn any lights out and leave the air going all day, which housekeeping always changes. So how Green is the choice?
Old Mar 9, 19, 5:58 am

I have had to chase the points for Green Choice every time. Very annoying. I don't like having people enter my room, and I don't mind making my bed and reusing towels, so it's always my preference, and the point bonus is small -- but still. . If they offer it, they should make good on the offer.
Old Mar 9, 19, 7:48 am

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott P, IHG P
I was at Bethesda Marriott and got my 500 points for MAGC for 1 night (July 2018), everything worked as it should. Sheraton Uptown ABQ did also post the points too.

However I didn't have a good experience at a hotel in Germany, it's new and here's the ordeal:

First stay: saw the MAGC in their tab (instead of the hotel information booklet) and called the front desk and they claimed they have it and as long as I put out my DND they will credit me the points. I did and no point arrived and wrote to the hotel and they said they are not participating.

Second stay: They had the hangtag so I used it, I took a picture of it. At check-out I reminded them that I had my hangtag out and he asked me for the card that stuck under the door which there wasn't. Of course no point was awarded and had to chase it with MR.

Will have a stay there again later this month and let's see how it goes.

Here's a list of MAGC hotels in the US and Canada:

List of MAGC hotels in the US and Canada
Old Mar 10, 19, 8:47 pm

This is such BS. With SPG it was every brand. Now you have some brands and within those brands only some properties. I guess Marriott never got the KISS concept.
Old Mar 10, 19, 9:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by nacho View Post
Here's a list of MAGC hotels in the US and Canada:

List of MAGC hotels in the US and Canada
Thanks. That confirms that the front-desk agent did indeed lie to me.
Old Mar 10, 19, 9:56 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SkyTeam Elite, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by deac83 View Post
This was a 'secret' downgrade in points. SPG was 500 points per night. Actually a really good deal. Travel 3 nights for 50 weeks a year and you got 50,000 points for no effort, which could have been 5 nights in Hawaii.

I realized later that while they when 3* SPG on dollars etc they didn't go 3* on green choice I'm pretty indifferent to the points now. After years of doing it I just prefer to keep them out of my room.

And who makes their bed in the hotel with Green Choice.

Of course they 'lose' on the fact that I don't turn any lights out and leave the air going all day, which housekeeping always changes. So how Green is the choice?
I like to leave the AC going all day too if it is really hot outside. Hotels where the housekeeping take my card out of the slot to save on AC costs typically get me meeting the director of rooms. It also gets me leaving DND on my door 24/7. There is nothing worse than coming in from a hot day and your room is just as hot.
(I am not really into the whole green thing. It is a hotel, I want fresh towels every day. I like the small tubes of shampoo and small soaps. I can be green at home. I want the hotel experience I am paying for when I go to one.)
Old Mar 10, 19, 10:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
I've had no issues with MAGC being credited. For some reason, my room spend gets wacky sometimes, but I track each piece in a spreadsheet and the welcome bonus and MAGC seem consistently there.

the downgrade from 500 SPG points to 500 MR points sucks, but I still happily choose MAGC. At this point, I carry partially used soap and shampoos with me (the ones I like) - no reason to waste 3 bottles for a one night stay.

Search this Thread