Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Declining Housekeeping to Receive Points is Becoming a Scam

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Declining Housekeeping to Receive Points is Becoming a Scam

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2018, 12:18 pm

My girlfriend had a problem recently where they were limiting the "green option" to 3 days a week but didn't make this clear until she was checking out and she was wondering why the bonuses were so low.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 9:49 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold, AA Gold
I agree it's been a scam on the whole, particularly since it is such a hassle to contact MR for missing points. If there was a better online option (where you could write a message in the online form), it would be better, but having to call for 250-750 points and having to wait forever makes it quite frustrating.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 4:33 am

Programs: AA, JB, SW, Bonvoy
This has happened to me many times, but was isolated to only 2-3 Starwood properties that were owned by the same franchisee. I stayed in the Baltimore area for several months of 4- or 5-day stays. I declined housekeeping every single time, only to have to fight with them about getting the points....every single time. Many back and forth emails/phone calls, etc. every week. Completely unacceptable. Several times, I had to call SPG to start a formal complaint before they would give me the points. I, too, believe it is some kind of scam.

I have no idea how these programs work, but I am assuming that the points that you get have to get "paid for" by the individual property, so they are hesitant to give them up. That is the only reason I can think of that it was so difficult to get these points posted until it was elevated to corporate.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 8:13 am

Programs: AA EXP sad former CK, Bonvoy LT Plat, BAEC Gold, VS, former UA, UA no longer, never, ever, QF
Originally Posted by EWRtoLAX4life
I have always assumed (please correct me if I am wrong) that housekeepers are paid per room...so I get roughly $1-2 in point value for them to not pay a housekeeper whose income is definitely more important than my $1-2 worth of points!!

So on principle I never take the green option (and I'm even the type of person who can go for a week on only 3 towels, no problem).
I completely agree with this post. Housekeepers are frequently people with honest jobs trying to raise families with stable jobs. But they are also frequently "piece workers" paid by the room. I never take the "green option".
Old Jun 11, 2018, 8:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I'm staying in a hotel right now that offers the green option on housekeeping and uses disposable plates and utensils at breakfast. It's possible that the plates are a biodegradable paper but the cups and utensils are plastic. Glad I'm saving the hotel money on laundry, but we're still cranking out huge heaps of garbage every morning at breakfast.

I've had mixed results on the points myself, so at this point I take housekeeping every day at Marriotts. At Starwoods, where I've seen 500 SPG points per night to decline, I've taken the green option. Pretty easy call since a lot of my stays are 2-night solo stays. I'm more willing to bug someone about Starpoints than I am 250 or 500 Marriott points.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 9:25 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Starwood properties generally have the option to choose not to participate in MAGC, although there might be a brand or two that requires it as part of their brand standards.

My impression is that upscale properties and those located abroad are less likely to participate, but initially the hotels joined the program at different rates.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 10:36 am

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Platinum Elite, National Exec
Originally Posted by writerguyfl

Side Note: Don't underestimate the value of a compliment. If you have a great experience with a hotel housekeeper, tell someone. Housekeepers are often overlooked because they aren't under constant supervision by management. Compliments can help good employees get recognition via programs like Employee of the Month. (I've never heard of a hotel that doesn't do that program.) Compliments can also help good people get promoted to supervisory positions.
Great post and thank you for the clarification!
Old Jun 11, 2018, 11:28 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond, Caesar's Diamond
Originally Posted by writerguyfl
Except there's zero evidence that Corporate did that. What you're implying would be a massive conspiracy against both the guests and the franchises.

Be honest: Do you honestly believe Marriott would risk losing customers and alienating their franchise partners over something this tiny?
I don't agree that this would be a massive conspiracy. If we all know that hotel personnel are generally bad at providing what corporate promises, corporate also knows. And how would it alienate the franchisees? They're the ones who are failing at customer service. All they have to do is follow the rules and all is fine. I just believe corporate knows that many of them won't. Also, I don't agree that it's tiny. If you add up all the costs savings over thousands of properties, it is real money.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 11:45 am

Programs: LTP, PP
I surmise, just like the now moot delivery of the PAW, it takes several manual steps and hand-offs by several disinterested employees to verify the events and give the OK for someone to actually post it. One break in the chain and it collapses. Much like the PAW F&B delivery which was about 50% successful IME. No great conspiracy - sloppy processes over a meaningless amount of points.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 2:11 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
LOL...bit of a karma moment today. Shortly after making my above snarky post about the mixed greenness of my current Spring Hill Suites, I left the room for the day and forgot to take in the DND tag from the door.

So today, I made a green choice. And I won't be getting any points for it!
Old Jun 11, 2018, 4:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Former 1KMM now free as UA Gold MM, former HH D, Marriott Lifetime Plat
And....after two weeks, I finally got an email response from corporate:

Our Your Choice is available when you stay 2 or more nights at participating Renaissance, Marriott, Courtyard, Fairfield Inn, and SpringHill Suites hotels in the U.S. and Canada. Generally the hotel will not access the room on opted out days, but reserves the right to do so. See the current list of participating hotels here. As a one time goodwill gesture I have posted 750 Reward Points to your member account.
Nothing like a "one time goodwill gesture" to get what you were already promised to make you feel special and valued. Instead the service recovery ought to be "sorry we screwed this up; they're now posted" would be much less annoying.

For me, the points collection has been all about making lifetime status, especially in my case since my nights were accumulating faster than points under the old scheme. Now that I've made lifetime gold (under the old rules) and it's almost impossible to accumulate another 100+ nights/400k points in the remaining six months, lifetime platinum is out of reach I guess I'll go back to keeping the housekeepers employed.

P.S. "Participating hotels" looks like a hyperlink above and in the email, but it's just blue font!
Old Jun 12, 2018, 9:15 am

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by pinniped
I've had mixed results on the points myself, so at this point I take housekeeping every day at Marriotts. At Starwoods, where I've seen 500 SPG points per night to decline, I've taken the green option. Pretty easy call since a lot of my stays are 2-night solo stays. I'm more willing to bug someone about Starpoints than I am 250 or 500 Marriott points.
Same here -- I was initially glad to see the program appear on the Marriott side, but 500 Marriott points isn't worth the trouble (let alone 250). 500 Starpoints (the rate everywhere but Four Points) would be equivalent to 1,500 Marriott points.

At SPG properties I've generally had good luck asking the FD to confirm the bonus points at checkout, but I'm not sure if the Marriott system allows that.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 11:31 am

How about: Check to see if they have posted the points before you check out, and if they haven't, retaliate by leaving a big mess?
Old Jun 12, 2018, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by drphun
How about: Check to see if they have posted the points before you check out, and if they haven't, retaliate by leaving a big mess?
Housekeeping points don't post until after checkout.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by Voodoo Daddy
I don't agree that this would be a massive conspiracy. If we all know that hotel personnel are generally bad at providing what corporate promises, corporate also knows. And how would it alienate the franchisees? They're the ones who are failing at customer service. All they have to do is follow the rules and all is fine. I just believe corporate knows that many of them won't. Also, I don't agree that it's tiny. If you add up all the costs savings over thousands of properties, it is real money.
In this version of the "scam", the person surmised that it was Corporate that was intentionally not posting the points from all hotels. Doing that would certainly alienate properties because they would be the ones getting blamed by the guests. Some guests might decide not to stay at that individual hotel because they falsely believe the hotel is the problem.

Also, compare the money associated from scamming guests/hotels out of points verses the franchise fees paid to Corporate. In that comparison, the points money is tiny. It's not an amount any company the size of Marriott would ever consider committing fraud over. The reward is tiny, compared to the risk of losing franchises and the possibility of lawsuits.

I stand by my original point: This is not a scam. It's just poor implementation at select properties.
joshua362 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.