Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Bodrum EDITION - Turkey [Master Thread]

The Bodrum EDITION - Turkey [Master Thread]

Old Jun 30, 21, 12:55 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond
The EDITION remains one of my most favorite hotels ever. I can't recommend it enough.

​​​​​​

​​​​
Old Jun 30, 21, 7:23 pm

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
Originally Posted by christianj View Post
Sorry but I have to chuckle at this post....you mention a Euro 50 difference on the room rate as the reason for picking one over the other but then you are going to spend Euro 500 for a half day on a boat? Guess everyone has different priorities
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
The other thing that caught my eye is preferring Caresse - which gets absolutely awful reviews (see, for example, Caresse - Disastrous Service from Check-In to Check-Out) - because of a desire to use SNAs. I would never choose a property based on theoretical SNA use. Especially one that appears to be a complete cluster in every way. Not to mention that Edition is by all reports very generous with comp upgrades.
Yah understand your sentiments. But Ive been to caresse and in fact started the master thread for that property back in 2015 when it just opened. As you can see on post # 1, # 13, and # 15 on the Caresse thread, I had the best of best times.

So who would I believe more? Other people's opinions of Caresse or my very own experience?
Would you let other people's opinions of a hotel/airline affect your judgment even though you had a great experience on that airline or property?

As for the 50 euro difference. All my travels, accumulation of elite statuses from airlines and hotels are from the get go, my own money. As I never flew on biz trips but have always been a purely leisure traveller. So of course every euro counts! Little things here and there do add up. A 50 euro savings on day 1 can turn into a 750 euro savings on a 15 day trip. That's enough to pay 2/3rds of my biz class ticket return on QR from where I live in Asia to Istanbul

Lastly, I was in Turkey May and June of this year. It was expensive (for me at least) but all my tours/excursions had been private. But I'm glad I did it for peace of mind and not feeling anxious if I test positive at some country and end up being stucked there for 2 weeks. As an example, was in Kekova Antalya on a private boat ride. All the group excursion boat rides were full of tourists, not wearing masks etc. Didn't feel safe to me as I'm only partially vaccinated.

Anyways, I'm glad that you laughing at me or my way of thinking about the pandemic and my limited budget made your day.

Private (safe/social distancing/your own bubble)

Public (crowded/ no masks/no social distancing)
Kacee and Radiation Station like this.

Last edited by supatight80; Jun 30, 21 at 8:14 pm
Old Jun 30, 21, 9:50 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Dia; Marriott Amb; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit; SLH Indulged
Originally Posted by supatight80 View Post
But Ive been to caresse and in fact started the master thread for that property back in 2015 when it just opened. As you can see on post # 1, # 13, and # 15 on the Caresse thread, I had the best of best times.

So who would I believe more? Other people's opinions of Caresse or my very own experience?
Would you let other people's opinions of a hotel/airline affect your judgment even though you had a great experience on that airline or property?
As a general rule of course I trust my opinion more, but if my opinion dates back 6 years and if since, management of the hotel has changed and things have gone downhill based on reports from various sources, then it would be a major red flag for me especially if the negative (and recent) comments are from people whose opinions I trust. In that situation, all indications would be that my favorable view of the property is obsolete and I am not going to be rigid and stick to my guns just because I had a good stay years ago. A lot has happened since 2015, so at least you were warned that things might not be liked they used to be. That said, it's not impossible that even my own view of Caresse from 2020 could be obsolete as well - perhaps some problems were covid-related and perhaps they recently fired staff attempting to steal from customers, among the many issues they had.

Either way I will be looking forward to hear your comments regardless if you end up picking EDITION or Caresse.
Kacee and Radiation Station like this.
Old Jul 1, 21, 12:21 am

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
Originally Posted by escape4 View Post
I am not going to be rigid and stick to my guns just because I had a good stay years ago. A lot has happened since 2015, so at least you were warned that things might not be liked they used to be.
Not rigid hence posting on this thread and not at Caresse.
​​​​​​
Of course I'm considering the Edition more, because I am curious. But especially it is cheaper even by 50+ euros.

My long winded post was because I was taken aback when OP questioned why I would even consider staying at the Caresse. As if my experience there was unworthy.

As for the SNA, I do find it a waste letting them expire especially since I still have quite a number from 2019 and 2020 that will expire this year.

And yes, for me 50 euro/day savings is big enough to make a decision where to stay on a 2 week Vacation. That's like new LV shoes for pete's sake. Rather wear that money on my foot than give it to Marriott. I'll be too wasted to figure out whether service is indeed better or not anyways.
Old Jul 1, 21, 12:43 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Dia; Marriott Amb; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit; SLH Indulged
Of course I'm considering the Edition more, because I am curious. But especially it is cheaper even by 50+ euros.
I am the same, I often like to try different properties but my curiosity sometimes backfires, such as when I stayed at Caresse last year instead of returning to EDITION. Regarding the price difference, I would be willing to pay at least 200 EUR extra for EDITION over Caresse and in fact, for many dates we can observe such a price difference, if not more; I believe it is warranted. If for your dates you see EDITION for cheaper than Caresse then it should be a no brainer.
Old Jul 18, 21, 2:30 pm

Programs: Virtuoso Luxury Travel Agent; Bonvoy Titanium Elite; Hilton Diamond
Is breakfast still included for points bookings?
Old Aug 2, 21, 6:17 am

Programs: Virtuoso Luxury Travel Agent; Bonvoy Titanium Elite; Hilton Diamond
I can echo in a lot of the previous reviews of this hotel. Its absolutely magnificent. The property is gorgeous, views are breathtaking, service and staff are 10/10. Already booked for next season.
Old Aug 3, 21, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by brokenwindow View Post
Is breakfast still included for points bookings?
I checked in today as a Bonvoy elite and was offered the choice between 1000 points or breakfast
Old Oct 5, 21, 9:51 am

What a fantastic fist impression experience!

Wow! Really love how they are treating me here! Was greeted by the Director of Rooms Ms. J as well as other important folks while checking in. We chatted for about 45 min to 1 hour talking about new Edition properties that will open soon such as in Ginza, Singapore, Saudi, etc. As well as my travels this year. Offered too their Raki Icecream which was fantastic!

Then we took a buggy to our room with our guide, and lo and behold, we were at our (as per management) pre-upgraded best sea view suite even though they are at 80% occupancy!

When we went in, everything smelled like fresh flowers and on the table of our living room, there was complimentary Cake, FREE full size bottle of Moet, a personal hand written letter from the GM, and fresh roses hand picked for me (these were all my Ambassador requests during my Ambassador level days, so I'm pretty surprised that it is still stuck in my profile since I lost that status last year.)

The sea view loft suite has a full size kitchen, 2 full bathrooms, a living area with dining table, 2 balconies, a his and his closet, and a chaise lounge in the bedroom.

Such a happy camper here! Then we had lunch at Morena. It was fantastic but the prices went up since OMAAT last stayed here. Pitcher of cocktails now costs 550TL + SC.

Can't wait for tomorrow and dinner as well at kitchen restaurant. Thank God I made the right choice staying here!

Our 1 bedroom loft suite full sea view

Living room

The view from our bedroom

Full kitchen

2nd full bathroom for my annoying lover

Bedroom full bathroom with tub

Our view

Our view

Compliments from Management

​​​​

Last edited by supatight80; Oct 5, 21 at 10:01 am
Old Oct 6, 21, 2:38 am

Thank God I made the right choice staying here!
I still regret trying Caresse last year rather than returning to EDITION! I see you had a similar room than we had before, it looks like you were on the top floor of your building, therefore with sky lights in the ceiling? Adds an extra touch to the room unlike those below.

Enjoy your stay!
supatight80 likes this.
Old Oct 6, 21, 5:46 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat
Ha - i think we had the same (ish) suite "with the best view" (according to the manager) - just the other week. 921? could be a building over/away from Kitchen based on your pics.

Overall, agree that hotel is great. I'd give the hard product an A- (walls were strangely scuffed up/odd carpet stains, for such a new property), but service and overall experience an A/A+...they have a special spot there, but don't rest on it's laurels. Truly a special property that is managed extremely well - everyone seemed to be in sync, kudos to the team there.
supatight80 and escape4 like this.
Old Oct 6, 21, 6:07 am

Originally Posted by escape4 View Post
I still regret trying Caresse last year rather than returning to EDITION! I see you had a similar room than we had before, it looks like you were on the top floor of your building, therefore with sky lights in the ceiling? Adds an extra touch to the room unlike those below.

Enjoy your stay!
I'm glad I followed your advice escape! But my bf still wants to stay at caresse so after this we'd go for a few. But I'm already dreading it. My SNA didn't get approved!

The building we are in is like bungalow type. Only 2 units. One top one bottom. (like us ​​​​​​)

Old Oct 6, 21, 6:11 am

Originally Posted by wilsonnyc View Post
Ha - i think we had the same (ish) suite "with the best view" (according to the manager) - just the other week. 921? could be a building over/away from Kitchen based on your pics.

Overall, agree that hotel is great. I'd give the hard product an A- (walls were strangely scuffed up/odd carpet stains, for such a new property), but service and overall experience an A/A+...they have a special spot there, but don't rest on it's laurels. Truly a special property that is managed extremely well - everyone seemed to be in sync, kudos to the team there.
Yah similar to 921! Did you have issues with the hot water? We hadn't had a hot bath/shower since we got here. But I don't know if it's because it's hot outside so hotel assumes everyone wanted to take a cold bath?
Old Oct 6, 21, 8:54 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat
Yah similar to 921! Did you have issues with the hot water? We hadn't had a hot bath/shower since we got here. But I don't know if it's because it's hot outside so hotel assumes everyone wanted to take a cold bath?
We had issues with the overhead master shower pressure, but decided not to open up a can of worms with maintenance and just used the 2nd shower instead. The wand shower in the master bathroom worked fine, ironically (which my wife ended using part of the time). Hot water was fine, but did take some time to get going.

If you're not getting any hot water, i would let them know as we had no overall hot water issues in 921...just pressure on the overhead master shower
Old Oct 6, 21, 9:51 am

my bf still wants to stay at caresse so after this we'd go for a few.
Going to both hotels can be enjoyable for a bit of variety and a change in scenery. I think what I would recommend against is going exclusively at Caresse, which we did last year

Did you have issues with the hot water? We hadn't had a hot bath/shower since we got here. But I don't know if it's because it's hot outside so hotel assumes everyone wanted to take a cold bath?
That is disappointing to hear. From my review back in 2018:
The water temperature in both showers was not warm enough even if moving the knob to the maximum. It was not cold water, but a bit too cool for our taste. After a couple of nights the hotel proactively informed us that they were aware of the hot water issue and that we could move to another room. Honestly, it was not an issue serious enough for us to complain about in the first place, so we said that we were perfectly happy staying in our room rather than move into another similar suite elsewhere.
I was not overly bothered in 2018 because the hotel was still new back then, so issues to iron out are normal, are to be expected and tolerated. But three years later and still having a similar problem .... it would be easier to justify some dose of criticism.

Search this Thread