Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Let’s talk about alternatives to the SPG Amex after the massive Marriott devaluation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Let’s talk about alternatives to the SPG Amex after the massive Marriott devaluation

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2018, 5:45 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by pinniped
Have you had luck getting fees waived on cards in the $450 category?
I don't see anyone reporting success with those cards, so doubt it. I don't carry any of those, so no personal experience.
Old May 5, 2018, 9:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HPN-HRL
See the post above yours - lots of folks got "1.5%" info when receiving the card but are in fact receiving 3%. You can call to make sure and/or buy something and see if you only get 1.5% or if you get 1.5% + 1.5% bonus.

Is there a way to verify if I am getting the 3% promotion? I called twice to ask to different agents to see whether the promotion was active on my card and both of them said that they had never heard of a 3% cash back promo.
Old May 5, 2018, 12:17 pm

Programs: AS MVP; UA Gold; DL Gold; Marriott Titanium
My strategy post-8/1

Originally Posted by digimon
This holds true only if you value the credit card as a hotel credit card. But many SPG Amex holders used the card for the lucrative airline transfer rate. And Marriott has made the devaluation crystal clear when it comes to earning 2 point per dollar vs 3 points per dollar spent. If you are someone who values the SPG Amex for airline miles, you are almost better off going with an actual airline partner. At least you'll get dollar for dollar points to miles. So $30K spend will most likely equal 30K miles versus 25K miles with Marriott.
I agree with this method going forward 8/1. I use my SPG stash for Alaska transfers mainly. I stay almost exclusively at Marriott/SPG properties, and that will continue post 8/1, so I'll have a healthy return on hotel stays.

FYI: I'm based out of Germanys, so all the Chase and AMEX cards with foreign transaction fees are not usable. So that eliminates almost all groceries stores and other common "US-based" bonus categories--so no Chase FU or AMEX BBP for me.

Post 8/1:
Airline: AMEX Platinum (J tickets) or CSR (Y tickets) or BoA Alaska Biz (for AS tickets--but not too many of those)
Hotels: AMEX SPG or CSR (for not Marriott/SPG properties)
Other travel: CSR
Dining: CSR
Internet/Phone/etc: IPB
Non-bonus: BoA Alaska Biz (to answer the point of this entire thread! )

Again, as I value SPG points for its airline transfer ability to Alaska, using my Alaska Biz card would give me a $1 to 1 AS mile without any hassle or conversion or devaluation issues.
(And yes, if Alaska were to devalue their partnership charts, then I'd be screwed, but I don't plan to clear out my full Marriott account anytime soon. I'm just putting my non-bonus spend into Alaska without the Marriott middle-man.)

That's my strategy going forward, which I'll re-evalute once I return to the US or Alaska craps on its partnership charts. haha.

I also have the Marriott/Marriott Biz and SPG/SPG Biz. I still have to figure out what to do with those.
However, like some, the 35000pt valued "free night" does seem to be worth it. Strung together, that's a long weekend somewhere.
I may upgrade the Marriott to the new Marriott Plus (my AF just posted as did my CAT1-5 cert).
I'll try for an SPG personal retention offer as that's up next and probably asked about the SPG Biz card as well.

My strategy going forward...for what it's worth.
Old May 5, 2018, 12:28 pm

Programs: Starwood, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by digimon
Is there a way to verify if I am getting the 3% promotion? I called twice to ask to different agents to see whether the promotion was active on my card and both of them said that they had never heard of a 3% cash back promo.
I called twice, and both times they said that my card was “coded in the system” as a 3% cash back card, regardless of what I got in the promotional materials.

That said, the only way to know for absolute sure is to buy something, then go the chase web site and track it. After is has moved from pending to cleared, the transation will show what the percentage is when you expand the details.
Old May 5, 2018, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HPN-HRL
See the post above yours - lots of folks got "1.5%" info when receiving the card but are in fact receiving 3%. You can call to make sure and/or buy something and see if you only get 1.5% or if you get 1.5% + 1.5% bonus.
Originally Posted by surfmonkey89

I called twice, and both times they said that my card was “coded in the system” as a 3% cash back card, regardless of what I got in the promotional materials.

That said, the only way to know for absolute sure is to buy something, then go the chase web site and track it. After is has moved from pending to cleared, the transation will show what the percentage is when you expand the details.
THANK YOU!
surfmonkey89 likes this.
Old May 6, 2018, 9:40 am

Programs: UA: 1P; Bonvoy: Gold; IHG: Plat; HH: Silver; DL, AA: Gen. Member
I will probably begrudgingly keep my current SPG Amex. I have the old Chase United Platinum card that gets double MP points at gas, grocery, home improvement, and restaurants. I probably get 2+ cpm on UA. The other constraint I have is that I'd still want to keep an Amex card because we frequently use the Amex Deals that pop up in emails. I don't think Hilton or Membership Reward points can beat even the devalued Marriott points, so I probably won't cancel it.
Old May 7, 2018, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by xooz
Maybe.. Let's assume I booked using points right now. 35K Marriott points used in Manhattan gets me a couple of Fairfield Inns, one Courtyard and one Residence Inn, almost all near the WTC end of the island. That point value at current Starwood rates (less than 12K) gets me no hotel on Manhattan. A weekend night at a Hilton gets me a night at virtually every property in Manhattan. London would be a worse deal again for getting a Starriott property compared to Hilton. These are where I usually spend my points... in large expensive cities.

Thus I think a Hilton free weekend night has a good likelihood of holding value past Aug 1, and I do not yet have confidence that there will be some revaluation at Starriott that will cause hotels currently out of reach to somehow drift down into the 35K point range. And a hotel in the $200 range I would likely pay for with cash rather than use points. All a crap shoot at this point however....
FWIW, I am staying at the Sheraton Tribeca for 12,000 points/night this weekend. I booked a couple weeks ago.
Old May 7, 2018, 12:50 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
My amex statement closes on the 2nd of the month and I called today to ask if charges incurred before August 1 (in July) would earn under the old system or whether they would earn under the new system since my statement posts after August 1. The representative said that it would be the date of the charge for benefits and not statement date and seemed very clear on that.

Does anyone have a feel for whether that is correct or would another agent give me a different answer.
Old May 7, 2018, 1:05 pm

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
What do you guys think of the new amex comign in august? The luxury card? Or will MR have a better offering?
Old May 7, 2018, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by sdflyer04
I'm no UR expert either. But, in the past, I've only transferred them to United and Southwest. For my flying habits, I think it would be fairly tough to get much more than $1200 for 80K UR points. I will be lifetime Plat in the new SPG program. So, Hyatt points are a little less desirable for me.
I've been looking more closely at ultimate rewards for actual spend. I think the BofA visa return of 2.62% on non-bonus spend still beats the other alternatives. But, I can now see that with a CSR and 3 times the dollar on travel/dining, that could beat the 3.5% cash back from the BofA visa. However, I wouldn't use UR points to transfer to Marriott and I don't want to use them for international airlines for fear of not getting rewards seats on partner US airlines if the US airline isn't offering the lowest level seat. So, my transfer options are focused on United, Southwest, and Hyatt.

Southwest is now pretty easy to monetize with 1.5 cents per mile. So, if I have the math right, I could charge $10,000 travel/dining on CSR and get 30,000 points that I could then transfer to Southwest. Those Southwest miles should be worth 30K times 1.5 cents or $450. That beats the $350 I would earn with the BofA Visa. I might do better on United or not. I don't often use United miles for premium international awards (although, I am considering just such a ticket now). Hyatt would be a great use of the points. But, with lifetime status on Marriott/Starwood, I question the wisdom in racking up a bunch of Hyatt points/stays.

With that as background, I'm now considering whether it is worth the $450 annual fee, etc. for just my travel/dining spend on the CSR if I just use it for Southwest/United. I can see the benefit. But, I'm not sure it is worth the expense/effort.
Old May 7, 2018, 1:54 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
I've been looking more closely at ultimate rewards for actual spend. I think the BofA visa return of 2.62% on non-bonus spend still beats the other alternatives. But, I can now see that with a CSR and 3 times the dollar on travel/dining, that could beat the 3.5% cash back from the BofA visa. However, I wouldn't use UR points to transfer to Marriott and I don't want to use them for international airlines for fear of not getting rewards seats on partner US airlines if the US airline isn't offering the lowest level seat. So, my transfer options are focused on United, Southwest, and Hyatt.

Southwest is now pretty easy to monetize with 1.5 cents per mile. So, if I have the math right, I could charge $10,000 travel/dining on CSR and get 30,000 points that I could then transfer to Southwest. Those Southwest miles should be worth 30K times 1.5 cents or $450. That beats the $350 I would earn with the BofA Visa. I might do better on United or not. I don't often use United miles for premium international awards (although, I am considering just such a ticket now). Hyatt would be a great use of the points. But, with lifetime status on Marriott/Starwood, I question the wisdom in racking up a bunch of Hyatt points/stays.

With that as background, I'm now considering whether it is worth the $450 annual fee, etc. for just my travel/dining spend on the CSR if I just use it for Southwest/United. I can see the benefit. But, I'm not sure it is worth the expense/effort.
The fee is really only $150 after the $300 travel credit which works on almost anything and I see the value in primary rental car coverage and trip delay/interruption coverage and cancellation coverage.
Old May 7, 2018, 3:07 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by schley
What do you guys think of the new amex comign in august? The luxury card? Or will MR have a better offering?
the new amex card is probably worth having in a vacuum for anyone who spends a lot on marriott/SPG each year, but the value proposition gets murky for me when compared to other alternatives for wallet space, including the marriott cards. i think we need to know more about the differences between a 50k certificate and a 35k certificate, for example, which will continue to be a tough projection to make when the card is initially offered since marriott will have a whole year to screw with valuations / peak vs. off-peak / award availability before any anniversary certificates show up.

the $300 credit offsets all but $50 of the $350 extra AF over the current purple cards, in exchange for the same earnings rate on SPG/marriott spend (2x SPG/6x Marriott) and airfare/dining (1x SPG/3x marriott) but a 33% nerf to non-category spend (1x SPG to .67x SPG). the 50k certificate offsets the $100 extra AF if you do keep the card for a second year, and the value per 50k cert needed to break even goes down each year you renew ($100 per cert at AF #2 ; $75 at AF #3 , $67 at AF #4 ...). but for me the problem is that the vast majority of the value of the ~$100 AF for the SPG cards every year was the non-category spend. i don't see any value in 1x SPG for air/dining or 0.67x SPG for non-category spend. taking that value proposition out, the 50k certificate break-even point would have to be closer to $150 * 2 = $300 per cert year 1; $225 year 2; $200 year 3...

it's hard to tell how much value there will be at those levels. so i think i need to see what the sign-up bonus looks like. hopefully it at least opens with the 100k bonus from the premier plus, which i think would probably make the card worth getting and then keeping for at least the first two years.
Old May 7, 2018, 5:48 pm

Programs: Former UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
I've been looking more closely at ultimate rewards for actual spend. I think the BofA visa return of 2.62% on non-bonus spend still beats the other alternatives. But, I can now see that with a CSR and 3 times the dollar on travel/dining, that could beat the 3.5% cash back from the BofA visa.

As a lower limit, I am calculating 1.5 cents using the Chase travel portal with the CSR. If you purchased the Southwest flight thru the portal you would earn miles.

I just aquired the CSR, so I have no real world experience with the portal.

PS I am looking for another card for the bonus and earning potential. After August, my primary cards will be CSR and CFU (Chase Freedom Unlimited). Actually, I might be better off with a good cash back card. I tend to hoard points/miles.
Old May 7, 2018, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
FWIW, I am staying at the Sheraton Tribeca for 12,000 points/night this weekend. I booked a couple weeks ago.
Yep.. done that myself, as well as Sheraton Timers Square. Just unsure that these hotels will stay at ~35K Starriott points going forward. I hope I am proven wrong.
Old May 8, 2018, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
I see people here writing about using seven different cards and it just makes my head hurt.

Marriott/Starwood is probably going to lose me as a Platinum. I'm a Stays guy, not a Nights guy, and the new qualification criteria don't work for me. (If you want to dismiss me as not a high-hotel-spending guy, that is true.) I can do nothing and keep gold benefits - which seem pretty worthless, frankly. 2PM late check-out based on availability vs. 4PM guaranteed; enhanced room vs. suite. Blah.

Anything Hyatt is simply a non-starter. Their footprint is too small by far.

Using Chase points on Southwest, best to monetize value? Ugh. I fly WN now and then but always without joy - and they have a pretty limited network from my home airport. I'm getting Million Miler benefits on Delta and AA so they're the better choice if fare is anywhere competitive.

I fled Hilton (returning to Starwood) after some serial devaluations had particular bite for my travel patterns. At this point I'm making the best of a bad situation. Amex Hilton Aspire looks to be my path.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.