Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Let’s talk about alternatives to the SPG Amex after the massive Marriott devaluation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Let’s talk about alternatives to the SPG Amex after the massive Marriott devaluation

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2018, 8:38 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by Keyser
2 are personal cards & one is a business card but i no longer have the need to keep all 3....once the programs merge in august i will be lifetime platinum premier so i'm not looking for the cards to get status....nor am i interested in getting multiple 35k points free nights....i'm just looking to keep one card i can use when i'm staying at spg/marriott properties....
I too hold SPG Amex and Marriott by Chase. Will likely hold the SPG Amex for the 35k free night. Surely the free night is worth more than $95. I will cancel the Marriott by Chase (as I'd like to free up a 5/24 slot for future applications).

I will also get the new SPG luxury card which with the free night and hotel statement credit, pays for itself. That's the card I'll use for all Starwood/Marriott stays as well as it has the highest earn.

If you truly don't want to hold the SPG base card... just upgrade it to the luxury version when you can. Although applying directly to get the initial bonus and then cancelling the base card is a better bet. But personally, I'd say hold both Amex cards as they pay for themselves.
Old May 25, 2018, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
I too hold SPG Amex and Marriott by Chase. Will likely hold the SPG Amex for the 35k free night. Surely the free night is worth more than $95. I will cancel the Marriott by Chase (as I'd like to free up a 5/24 slot for future applications).

I will also get the new SPG luxury card which with the free night and hotel statement credit, pays for itself. That's the card I'll use for all Starwood/Marriott stays as well as it has the highest earn.

If you truly don't want to hold the SPG base card... just upgrade it to the luxury version when you can. Although applying directly to get the initial bonus and then cancelling the base card is a better bet. But personally, I'd say hold both Amex cards as they pay for themselves.
i was considering the luxury card but i think i'll just cancel both the spg amex cards & keep the chase marriott....i already have another amex that i use for the majority of my purchases so have no need for further amex cards now....

i paid the annual fee for both cards a couple of months ago so i'm in no hurry to cancel them now....can do so by the end of the year....
Old May 26, 2018, 11:58 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic 3, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by Explore SE Asia
My post August credit card plan has a major problem. The current plan is:
  • Chase Sapphire Reserve (CSR) for restaurants and travel expenses
  • ​​​​Chase Freedom Unlimited (CFU) for everyday spending

The CFU is a great card but not overseas. I need a card for everyday spend without foreign transaction fees.
Why not use the CSR for those un-bonused transactions? Yes, it only earns 1 point on non dining/travel expenses (which for me, dining/travel is the VAST majority of my spend when traveling internationally), but its earning points in a program I assume you have a large balance with. How significant is your un-bonused international spend?
Old May 26, 2018, 1:45 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
I too hold SPG Amex and Marriott by Chase. I will cancel the Marriott by Chase (as I'd like to free up a 5/24 slot for future applications).

Canceling the card won’t help with 5/24

Chase counts any new card accounts you have opened in your credit report (the 5 ) in the last 2 years (the 24)

They look to see if you have opened 5 or more personal credit cards across All banks in the last 24 months (they don’t count Business Cards which do not report on your personal credit report)

Chase only looks at whether an account was opened— it doesn’t matter if you’ve since closed that account.
Old May 26, 2018, 3:47 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by Keyser
i was considering the luxury card but i think i'll just cancel both the spg amex cards & keep the chase marriott....i already have another amex that i use for the majority of my purchases so have no need for further amex cards now....

i paid the annual fee for both cards a couple of months ago so i'm in no hurry to cancel them now....can do so by the end of the year....
You prerogative fo course. But the luxury card provides one free night (@50,000 point level) and a $300 statement credit towards hotel stays. Since the free night will clearly be worth more than $150 they are paying us to get this card. Plus applying for this card gets you the sign up bonus and then if you truly don't want it you cancel in the following year.

I can't see any reason not to get it (from a financial perspective it's a win). https://www.spgpromos.com/amexcomingsoon/terms/luxury

Originally Posted by damon88
Canceling the card won’t help with 5/24

Chase counts any new card accounts you have opened in your credit report (the 5 ) in the last 2 years (the 24)

They look to see if you have opened 5 or more personal credit cards across All banks in the last 24 months (they don’t count Business Cards which do not report on your personal credit report)

Chase only looks at whether an account was opened— it doesn’t matter if you’ve since closed that account.

But aren't we limited to 5 cards in total? If so, I'd prefer to free up a slot. If not - then I can hold the card for the free night

Last edited by TravelinSperry; May 26, 2018 at 3:54 pm
Old May 26, 2018, 4:08 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
You prerogative fo course. But the luxury card provides one free night (@50,000 point level) and a $300 statement credit towards hotel stays. Since the free night will clearly be worth more than $150 they are paying us to get this card. Plus applying for this card gets you the sign up bonus and then if you truly don't want it you cancel in the following year.

I can't see any reason not to get it (from a financial perspective it's a win). https://www.spgpromos.com/amexcomingsoon/terms/luxury

But aren't we limited to 5 cards in total? If so, I'd prefer to free up a slot. If not - then I can hold the card for the free night
No limit—. the rules are designed to discourage “churners “ who open cards for the bonuses and then never use them.

If you’ve opened 5 or more credit card accounts (from any bank) in the past 24 months (including as an authorized user) you will almost certainly be denied. (Every once in a while you will hear about a private banking client for whom they make an exception)

There are NO fixed rules for how many credit cards Chase will issue you. It depends on your credit and payment history, your credit score, income level, and your relationship with Chase.

I have 8 Chase cards- 2 of which get only sporadic use. Note that Chase is also quick to close accounts if you aren’t putting charges on them.

Last edited by damon88; May 29, 2018 at 12:14 pm
Old May 26, 2018, 4:13 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Deleted
Old May 26, 2018, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Where did you get this idea?! There is NO SUCH THING of Slot with Chase.

You confuse Chase with AMEX which has a 5 Credit Cards limit, but that may also be a thing of the past as there are reports people have successfully open 6th credit card. Charge card is not even included in the "slot count".

Chase let you have however many Chase cards you feel comfortable holding. Some people I know have 9 or 10 Chase cards.
Old May 26, 2018, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have 8 Chase cards- 2 of which get only sporadic use. Note that Chase is also quick to close accounts if you aren’t putting charges on them.

Where did you get this idea?

Your other understanding is correct, but NOT this one. This comment is total nonsense.

We have IHG cards that are NOT used at all after earning the sign up bonuses. They are just kept for the annual free night certs at $49 AF. (with the devaluation, these cards will be gone after the last uncapped certs are posted).
The Freedom cards hardly see more than a few hundreds a year. (No, the quarterly bonus categories are useless to us most of the time when you can get gas GC at 5% discount all year long with your Ink card for example).

Any bank will close inactive cards if the cards are not used for 12 months or 24 months, depending on how aggressive the bank's policy is.
Old May 26, 2018, 7:20 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by Happy

Where did you get this idea?

Your other understanding is correct, but NOT this one. This comment is total nonsense.

We have IHG cards that are NOT used at all after earning the sign up bonuses. They are just kept for the annual free night certs at $49 AF. (with the devaluation, these cards will be gone after the last uncapped certs are posted).
The Freedom cards hardly see more than a few hundreds a year. (No, the quarterly bonus categories are useless to us most of the time when you can get gas GC at 5% discount all year long with your Ink card for example).

Any bank will close inactive cards if the cards are not used for 12 months or 24 months, depending on how aggressive the bank's policy is.
My husband and I are Old (lol) and have held cards from every major bank over the last 40 years— Amex, Chase, Citi, BofA, Barclays- plus smaller issuers like Penfed. The ONLY issuer who has ever closed one of our cards for inactivity is Chase. (Other banks have occasionally sent us a message that we needed to use the card by a certain date to keep it open)

Chase doesn't care how much— it could be $1. But they don’t want you to sock drawer their cards.

I keep up with this stuff and have never had my card closed, but my husband had 2 Chase cards closed for inactivity in the last 2 years even though they constantly are trying to get him to open new ones in our branch.

Just reminding people who plan to keep the cards for the annual free night only.
Old May 27, 2018, 3:38 am

Originally Posted by Happy
Where did you get this idea?! There is NO SUCH THING of Slot with Chase.

You confuse Chase with AMEX which has a 5 Credit Cards limit, but that may also be a thing of the past as there are reports people have successfully open 6th credit card. Charge card is not even included in the "slot count".

Chase let you have however many Chase cards you feel comfortable holding. Some people I know have 9 or 10 Chase cards.
I didn't confuse Chase and Amex but yes, inadvertently thought the same rule applied to both. Good to know I can keep a many Chase cards as I want.

My husband and I are Old (lol) and have held cards from every major bank over the last 40 years— Amex, Chase, Citi, BofA, Barclays- plus smaller issuers like Penfed. The ONLY issuer who has ever closed one of our cards for inactivity is Chase. (Other banks have occasionally sent us a message that we needed to use the card by a certain date to keep it open)

Chase doesn't care how much— it could be $1. But they don’t want you to sock drawer their cards.

I keep up with this stuff and have never had my card closed, but my husband had 2 Chase cards closed for inactivity in the last 2 years even though they constantly are trying to get him to open new ones in our branch.

Just reminding people who plan to keep the cards for the annual free night only.
I have had Barclays cancel a card on me for non use. I signed up for the original Virgin America credit card and used it for a while then stopped. Got a cancellation letter in the mail without notice to even use it or lose it. So cancelling does happen outside of just Chase.
Old May 27, 2018, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It is indeed good habit to charge once every 6 months on the dormant card that you plan to keep, or charge a cobrand card a month before your planned cancellation so the activity would give you an extension of X months life before you close the card and lose the ability to generate activity on the loyalty programs from that channel. Do the charge and pay it off immediately a full statement cycle bore the AF hit and you close - so you can move all the CL without having to leave something on the closed card. Chase would leave $500 to $1000 on the CL of a card you want to close if the previous statement has any activity, even just for a payment. Their System is designed in such a way that the rep has no option but follow it.

There are plenty enough DPs posted on FT that Citi does the same thing, so as CapOne. Some claimed that Citi sent them an email but Citi closed their cards anyway.
Also read about USBank closes Club Carlson cards when there is no activity for a mere 6 months. Not sure if this is true or just hear-say.

The importance is to make a clear reference on the base of closure. Card closed due to inactivity should not affect your relationship with the bank though years past Citi system lumped such closure together with closures from adversity actions.
Old May 27, 2018, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I didn't confuse Chase and Amex but yes, inadvertently thought the same rule applied to both. Good to know I can keep a many Chase cards as I want.

I have had Barclays cancel a card on me for non use. I signed up for the original Virgin America credit card and used it for a while then stopped. Got a cancellation letter in the mail without notice to even use it or lose it. So cancelling does happen outside of just Chase.
Caveat - need to be mindful on your Aggregated Credit Line with Chase - from both the personal and business. Chase does not care too much on how many their cards you have, but do care on how much total credit line or their exposure, on your unsecured borrowing power, as in theory you can charge up a storm, use all your credit line and then "Burst Out". On top of Chase also monitor your OTHER banks exposure and take that into account for their own risk calculation.

Chase has become overly aggressive in monitoring such since last year and literally programs its risk assessment modules to include such. We have seen a lot of closures triggered by such monitoring, seemed like automatic reaction from tripping wires of their system.
Luckily a very high percentage of such closures are reinstated when people call in and reason it with the Lending Dept. But you dont want to put yourself in scenario that your credit card activities (from all issuers) can trigger the flags in the overly aggressive Chase system.

One way you can tell if your issuers are monitoring you is to look at your credit report's "soft pull" section where you can see many banks these days are doing frequent periodic Account Reviews which allow them to assess your profile with other banks so they get a better picture of you on how much total unsecured credit you have from all sources. Account Review is nothing new, but the aggressive actions out from that is relatively recent, as from Q2 or Q3 of last year and is an ongoing practice now.
Old May 27, 2018, 10:53 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET

I'm thinking about the luxury card, I get that it is sort of cost neutral ... $450 - $300 credit = $150, then I get a room. Of course, I would otherwise be paying for the room and earning points on that. It has Boingo, and Priority Pass but I have those through my Amex Plat. And for those of us who travel a a lot (I'm around 70 actual nights so far this year), the status doesn't matter.

So, other than being cost neutral, what is the advantage of having the luxury card? Breaking even isn't a particularly impressive selling point.
Old May 27, 2018, 11:19 am
SPG 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by C17PSGR
I'm thinking about the luxury card, I get that it is sort of cost neutral ... $450 - $300 credit = $150, then I get a room. Of course, I would otherwise be paying for the room and earning points on that. It has Boingo, and Priority Pass but I have those through my Amex Plat. And for those of us who travel a a lot (I'm around 70 actual nights so far this year), the status doesn't matter.

So, other than being cost neutral, what is the advantage of having the luxury card? Breaking even isn't a particularly impressive selling point.
15 Elite night credits?

And 6x points at Marriott hotels?

The (still unknown) sign up bonus?

I agree that it isn’t the WOW card I was hoping for, but I still will get it. Maybe (putting on my wishful thinking cap) the card will have increased benefits later if Amex & Marriott see spend shift to other cards.

The craziest metric to me is that Even at Marriott Hotels we might come out ahead using the Chase Sapphire Reserve(3x points worth 2.1 cents apiece, compared to 6x points worth 0.9 cents each- YMMV)

IMHO Marriott should have at the least made this a strong earning opportunity- 10x points at Marriott Hotels.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.