Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Let’s talk about alternatives to the SPG Amex after the massive Marriott devaluation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Let’s talk about alternatives to the SPG Amex after the massive Marriott devaluation

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2019, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by Adelphos
I would prefer to see 3x or something similar (maybe after hitting spend thresholds) on the Brilliant - it could be an excellent card (rather than a decent one) with one or two mods
Agree. If Amex execs had any brains (they don't) they would copy Chase and offer 3x points on the $450 AF card and 2x points on the $95 AF card (as Chase does for CSR and CSP). 2x points just doesn't cut it for everyday spend, particularly with all the devals after program merger.
friedablass likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 11:04 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA EXP, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Natl EE, Hertz Platinum
My guess is that they contractually can not offer more per $ than the Chase Marriott cards. That’s why the 25k for $25 is kind of brilliant as a promo. Obviously they can afford the economics, but I’m guessing their hands are tied contractually.
bgriff likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 8:28 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by JohnnyP
My guess is that they contractually can not offer more per $ than the Chase Marriott cards. That’s why the 25k for $25 is kind of brilliant as a promo. Obviously they can afford the economics, but I’m guessing their hands are tied contractually.
Concur on this. I think Marriott had to find a way to keep both happy after the merger (presumably they either contractually couldn't get rid of either of them, or either or both banks threw so much money at Marriott such that they decided to keep both).

Though I still find it surprising that Marriott didn't want to or didn't allow Amex to sweeten the offer on the $450 card. The premium credit card space is pretty crowded these days and the Bonvoy Brilliant card is perhaps the lamest $450 card out there, at least among those from the major banks.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Agree 100%. Congrats on being able to find good use for your 35k certs! Alas that is not the case for many of us coastal elites who don't vacation in China or flyover country
In case anyone cares, the Long Beach, CA Marriott is 35K points and the day I used the cert recently the hotel rate was $180. And it has free parking which is a rare thing at So Cal Marriott properties.

One neat thing that you can use the Bonvoy card, or many other Amex cards for is the Plan It feature. It can come in handy if you are temporarily juggling finances. I'm not sure if the Chase Sapphire has this?
Old Dec 21, 2019, 11:48 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by JohnnyP
But why not 10k for 1x bonus or 5k, etc. What is magical about the $25k spend level? Either way I hope they continue some spend incentive in 2020. Won't use the card unless they do, it doesn't make financial sense without the incentive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.