Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Let’s talk about alternatives to the SPG Amex after the massive Marriott devaluation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Let’s talk about alternatives to the SPG Amex after the massive Marriott devaluation

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2019, 1:12 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
I'm still with SPG Amex for now... the extra bonus point at every $25k keeps it my primary card this year. As soon as that promo is over... this card is solely used for Marriott stays and saved just for the free night. If/when a promo appears next year, I may pull it out again. Still remains an excellent card with the spend promo.

As for what I'll use once spend promo is over... likely switch to Hilton Aspire Amex (so still staying with Amex). But may apply for Platinum Amex and use/earn MR. We shall see. Still a few months away from that decision.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 11:39 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, SPG LTP
I've switched to Chase Ultimate Rewards for all but Marriott spend (Amex). Sapphire Reserve for travel and dining. Freedom for everything else. Prior to all this, it was all SPG Amex. My points balance is going to take a hit once I spend it down, but the freedom has been liberating.

I don't care what the card looks like. My first SPG amex was blue, then there was the burgundy and silver and then purple. Not too sentimental about any of them. Messed up the earnings and I was done.

I've grown to appreciate the non embossed flat cards as they take up less room in my wallet.
Boraxo and bhrubin like this.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 6:47 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
I'm still with SPG Amex for now... the extra bonus point at every $25k keeps it my primary card this year. As soon as that promo is over... this card is solely used for Marriott stays and saved just for the free night. If/when a promo appears next year, I may pull it out again. Still remains an excellent card with the spend promo.

As for what I'll use once spend promo is over... likely switch to Hilton Aspire Amex (so still staying with Amex). But may apply for Platinum Amex and use/earn MR. We shall see. Still a few months away from that decision.
Same for me with the 25k promo, however will switch to Chase Freedom Unlimited thereafter for non bonus spend.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 10:15 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards, SPG Gold, United 1K, Hilton Diamond, Diamond Golden Circle
What's the go to card to switch to right now? Finding the 35K award basically unusable, and the points not going as far as they used to at all.

Do you just call Amex and ask them to switch you to the card or what's the best procedure?
Old Dec 17, 2019, 12:34 am

Originally Posted by Zoltar
What's the go to card to switch to right now? Finding the 35K award basically unusable, and the points not going as far as they used to at all.

Do you just call Amex and ask them to switch you to the card or what's the best procedure?
It really depends on your spending pattern. Then you can decide which card to switch to and it may not be an Amex. Also if you want a different card it may be better to sign up for a new one rather than switch (which anyway isn't always possible), because you will get the new card sign up bonus which you wouldn't get if you converted.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 8:27 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too

The only other card you can switch (product change) the base $95 Bonvoy Amex to is the $450 version since Amex only allows product changes within the same card "family" these days and that's the only other Bonvoy card that Amex has. So if you don't want that card, you'd have to cancel the Bonvoy Amex and sign up for something new (with Amex or elsewhere). Depending how long you've had the Bonvoy/SPG Amex and how many other cards of what ages you have, that may incur some marginal credit score penalty.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Any bets on whether we will see another spend promo from Amex? I'm betting that transaction volume goes way down after the end of the 25k bonus for $25k spend promo, plus more cancellations due to the AF. But I can't imagine they want to keep paying the equivalent of 3 points/$1 on regular spend.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 11:50 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Any bets on whether we will see another spend promo from Amex? I'm betting that transaction volume goes way down after the end of the 25k bonus for $25k spend promo, plus more cancellations due to the AF. But I can't imagine they want to keep paying the equivalent of 3 points/$1 on regular spend.
It probably depends on how successful the Brilliant card has been for them. I use that card a decent amount but will likely cancel the regular Bonvoy at some point. Amex seems more focused on its charge cards and Delta cards nowadays.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 12:18 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards, SPG Gold, United 1K, Hilton Diamond, Diamond Golden Circle
Originally Posted by bgriff
The only other card you can switch (product change) the base $95 Bonvoy Amex to is the $450 version since Amex only allows product changes within the same card "family" these days and that's the only other Bonvoy card that Amex has. So if you don't want that card, you'd have to cancel the Bonvoy Amex and sign up for something new (with Amex or elsewhere). Depending how long you've had the Bonvoy/SPG Amex and how many other cards of what ages you have, that may incur some marginal credit score penalty.
Not what I wanted to hear. That's unfortunate. Is there a zero fee version of this Marriott Card I could use? I find the points useless due to the devaluation and even the free night worthless since it's limited to low level category hotels.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 12:34 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Not what I wanted to hear. That's unfortunate. Is there a zero fee version of this Marriott Card I could use? I find the points useless due to the devaluation and even the free night worthless since it's limited to low level category hotels.
There is a zero fee card, but it is offered by Chase. If you get an upgrade offer from Amex, you could upgrade to the Brilliant for a bonus (anywhere from 75,000 to 125,000 points), and that card comes with a more useful free night. Otherwise cancelling may be your best bet
Old Dec 17, 2019, 2:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AS MVPG, SPG PLAT 100
Originally Posted by Boraxo
I figured the promo had to be some sort of test, to see how much spending varied based on the drop to 2 points/$ and then when reverted (with 25k tiers) to 3 points/$. So if I am right, depends on their number crunching the data after promo over 12/31.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 3:54 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Tit, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold, Carlson Gold, UA*S,
The card will go back in the sock draw after 12/31. I managed to make 75k out of the possible 100k bonus that was up for grabs, so not too bad.
Boraxo and UA-NYC like this.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by Johnny Rocket
The card will go back in the sock draw after 12/31. I managed to make 75k out of the possible 100k bonus that was up for grabs, so not too bad.
I managed to get the full 100k by end of last month and immediately stopped spend cold turkey. I hope their data analysis sees this so that we either get future spend bonuses like this or they just increase to 3 points per $ across the board.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 5:02 pm

I kept the Amex because I needed the 15 night booster shot to get Plat status. Compared to the Chase Visa, it had marginally better benefits. I dumped my Chase Visa only use the Amex when staying at a Marriott. The 35K cert is something I can use but would not be a big reason to pay the AF.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by friedablass
I managed to get the full 100k by end of last month and immediately stopped spend cold turkey. I hope their data analysis sees this so that we either get future spend bonuses like this or they just increase to 3 points per $ across the board.
I would prefer to see 3x or something similar (maybe after hitting spend thresholds) on the Brilliant - it could be an excellent card (rather than a decent one) with one or two mods
friedablass likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.