Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Let’s talk about alternatives to the SPG Amex after the massive Marriott devaluation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Let’s talk about alternatives to the SPG Amex after the massive Marriott devaluation

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2018, 10:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zorbachs
Is everyone here just accumulating as many SPG points as possible before 8/1 and then cutting ties with the card? I have the SPG card for another year after getting a retention. I have 67k SPG points currently but no plans to use them before 8/1. Does it make sense to even bother anymore?
I don't think it hurts to continue accumulating since all SPG points will convert to MR at a 1 to 3 ratio. But I would stop using the card after August 1st unless you are a frequent Marriott guest. If you are an American Airlines flyer, they have a bonus promotion for transferring points. So for every 20K SPG points you transfer to AA, you get 31,250 miles. You should also go ahead and book some hotels for vacation before points get devalued with the new hotel tiers if you need a way to get rid of some points.

I personally am moving all my spend to Chase UR as soon as I get my new credit card. I am also going to start staying at Hyatts and Hiltons going forward.
LF72 likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 10:50 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by ralphs
It's possible now, but there's a rumor going around that CFU UR will be restricted from transferring to programs in the future. https://frequentmiler.boardingarea.c...rds-transfers/ It is just a rumor at this time.
If this comes to pass, a 2% cash back card starts to look pretty good. The only other compelling options for non-bonus spend are the Amex business card that earns 2 MR points/dollar (though not everyone wants to get a business card) and the Everyday Preferred card, which has the hurdle of needing to use it 30 times per month. Plus the fact that while MR remains a very good program for airline transfers, it doesn't offer any attractive way to redeem for hotel stays.

Though 3% cash back for a year on the CFU is still a very solid option, even if the rumor does become true.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 10:53 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador/United 1K
Originally Posted by zorbachs
Is everyone here just accumulating as many SPG points as possible before 8/1 and then cutting ties with the card? I have the SPG card for another year after getting a retention. I have 67k SPG points currently but no plans to use them before 8/1. Does it make sense to even bother anymore?
Yup! I'm at 11M SPG points right now, and hope to get to 14M by end of summer! After that, I'm going to switch to Amex Platinum!
Old Apr 27, 2018, 12:46 pm

Programs: Marriott - Titanium, AA - Lifetime Gold
Chase Sapphire Reserve for Travel and Dining
Alliant Credit Union Visa for 3% cash back year one and 2 1/2% cash back thereafter
( Chase Freedom Unlimited with 3X first year is also sweet)
Old Apr 27, 2018, 2:04 pm

Programs: SPG/Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by digimon
I don't think it hurts to continue accumulating since all SPG points will convert to MR at a 1 to 3 ratio. But I would stop using the card after August 1st unless you are a frequent Marriott guest. If you are an American Airlines flyer, they have a bonus promotion for transferring points. So for every 20K SPG points you transfer to AA, you get 31,250 miles. You should also go ahead and book some hotels for vacation before points get devalued with the new hotel tiers if you need a way to get rid of some points.

I personally am moving all my spend to Chase UR as soon as I get my new credit card. I am also going to start staying at Hyatts and Hiltons going forward.
That was my plan. I don't intend to keep using the card or renew it next year after 8/1. I like Marriot/SPG properties, but I don't see value in the points anymore and I don't fly AA much at all. I usually am with Delta.
LF72 likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 10:04 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG 75K, Delta Diamond, SPG Platinum 75, Marriott Silver, Avis First
Just approved for the CSR.
Keeping the SPG card for hotel stays only.
USAA 2.5% no AF Amex for gas and groceries.
Fidelity no AF 2% on everything else.
Keeping Alaska Visa for companion fare.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 11:38 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Called Amex today to ask if I cancelled Amex card if they would prorate annual fee and potentially switch to Hilton Amex Aspire. Operator was rude and tried to convince me that I was getting more points on the card post August 1 (2 Marriott points vs only one SPG point she said for everyday spend). We got into an argument as I said clearly the point power/ value is devalued. She became rude, dismissive and said that since I was so well educated I should understand that they can change the rules at any time. I mean, really? She refused to switch me to a supervisor after I asked repeatedly, so I hung up.

I spoke to another agent (who was nice) and complained about 1st agent. I didn't cancel SPG Amex and will use through Aug 1 and then will cancel. I will probably get the luxury Amex SPG for Starwood stays only. I also didn't apply for Hilton Amex as I was miffed at the first agent's attitude. Agent said if I and when I cancel they won't prorate annual fee.

Not sure what to do now for everyday US-based spend for non-Starwood stays. I typically only spend a week or two in US annually so need a card for that and for when buying on US sites like Expedia when foreign cards are not as good.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 6:51 am

Originally Posted by SHLTP
tried to convince me that I was getting more points on the card post August 1 (2 Marriott points vs only one SPG point she said for everyday spend).
That’s ridiculous. What do they think, that you are an idiot? Or maybe they’re that new, and have no idea that Starpoints are worth more than Marriott points. I sometimes wonder if that’s what corporate is thinking, “oh hey, we can fool customers in thinking this is a good move”. I don’t get why they have the automated 1:3 exchange for points, and then devalue the Amex card at 1:2, without thinking people like me are going to call foul.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 7:09 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Dzigavertov

That’s ridiculous. What do they think, that you are an idiot? Or maybe they’re that new, and have no idea that Starpoints are worth more than Marriott points. I sometimes wonder if that’s what corporate is thinking, “oh hey, we can fool customers in thinking this is a good move”. I don’t get why they have the automated 1:3 exchange for points, and then devalue the Amex card at 1:2, without thinking people like me are going to call foul.
The bolded is more likely. 2>1, so why wouldn't an Amex phone CSR think that this is an improvement? They probably know very little about the SPG program, much less the Marriott program. After hearing it from enough customers, or maybe getting some training, they might figure it out!
Old Apr 28, 2018, 6:16 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
No, this agent knew very well about the program and the valuation differences. She claimed she was a supervisor who understood just how much better the new program was because we could earn more points regardless of the monetary value of each point. It was obvious she hah had similar conversations in the past and launched a rote counterargument to me that she had had with other people who discussed valuation issues. She was trying to convince me otherwise to reality when I tried walking her through the actual valuation.

Why can't they just be honest?

The reality is Amex is probably under fire by many who are not happy about the devaluation. Agents cannot with a straight face argue that the changes to the current cards are beneficial. With the luxury card there are talking points/ benefits that would make the new card more beneficial for some like Priority Pass, incidentals and free night. I am interested in seeing if they will let people switch cards and prorate AF, or give a bonus to get the new card.

I think I read somewhere that Marriott will not give a new bonus but a lower switching bonus for people who hold the current Marriott card and switch to the new one. I guess we will find out this week what that means exactly. Even w bad customer service, I'd like to hold the Amex Aspire Hilton for the Diamond status which seems to have good upgrades for Asia stays based on FT reviews (my only hesitation is I am not sure I can make back the AF easily w resort incidentals as the Hilton properties in Asia where I mostly am do not seem particularly exciting on a regular basis. I wish they had incidentals at any Hilton property not just resort and then I could easily obtain that).

But I am not happy w Amex customer service in general handling the changes.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 8:39 pm

Programs: BAEC G, WN A-, Hyatt G, HH G, MAR T, Hz PC, was [UA2P, FL A+Elite, BD G]
When August gets here I was planning to use my CFU (xfer pts to CSR) for my non-bonused spend, but I am now going to look into Amex Blue Biz thanks to the comments on here. For this year I will keep my SPG personal & biz as well as my personal Marriott Premier card, as I expect to get more value from the free nights that each of these will give than I will pay in AFs. Besides paying for Starriott hotel stays, the only other time that I may use any of these cards is to buy gas with the SPG biz card (4x) - until the new points are devalued this is fairly close in value to what I earn on gas with my Citi Premier. I don't see any good ways to earn the new points in any reasonable quantity once Starpoints have become extinct.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 9:31 am

Programs: United 1P
My wife and my Amex SPG personal cards were just posted an annual fee of $95. We both have Chase Marriott. Should I cancel the card or convert the card to another one? What card should we convert to? Thanks, all!
Old Apr 29, 2018, 9:51 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by kgkg
My wife and my Amex SPG personal cards were just posted an annual fee of $95. We both have Chase Marriott. Should I cancel the card or convert the card to another one? What card should we convert to? Thanks, all!

They won’t let you convert to anything, because there is no other card in this “family.” I wanted to keep an Amex product in my wallet so I opened a Blue Cash Preferred for the 6% on groceries and will transfer as much of the credit line as I can there, the possibly cancel the SPG card.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 10:44 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by kgkg
If you still travel you may want to keep the card... you will receive a 35,000 free night cert in August. That should still have a value >$95
Old Apr 29, 2018, 12:11 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Southwest AL CP, Hyatt Globalist
Looking for advice today. I only need 3 years for LTP- already have 650 nights. I feel either the new Amex Luxury card (spend $75k), or piling up spend dollars on my Marriott Rewards Signature Visa are the correct way to proceed. For the record, losing 3 room stays will hurt me (25-35 nights) going forward. Heading off to Hilton or Hyatt would not be smart, being so close to LTP. I probably spend $150k a year on my SPG Amex and SPG Business.

Last edited by pageboy; Apr 29, 2018 at 12:21 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.