Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Prince Sakura Tower Tokyo (Autograph Collection), Japan [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Prince Sakura Tower Tokyo (Autograph Collection), Japan [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2023, 3:03 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Titanium and LTT
Finishing up a 3 night stay here. I’ve always stayed at the Westin, but chose the Prince Sakura due to 1) Westin being under renovation; and 2) “decent” (~$500/night vs Westin ~$700/night) rate for a party of 3.

The triple room is extremely spacious at around 600 sq ft, and easily accommodates 3 full-sized beds, a sofa seating area, work desk, etc. The bathroom is huge by Japanese standards and includes a jetted soaking tub and separate shower. We have a great view of Tokyo tower. I’m not sure if there are renovated rooms vs. not, given previous posts, but I find the furniture, carpet, wallpaper, and decor to be pretty new and visually appealing (especially compared to the very dated Westin).

The lounge has lovely views of the Japanese gardens and an overall clean aesthetic. We’ve enjoyed the evening drinks each night and it hasn’t been crowded at all (and hence no time limit), so I guess on that front we’ve been lucky. We haven’t lounge hopped, although the option is available. The breakfast is pretty boring and I would have appreciated some Japanese offerings but it’s sufficient, and again, not crowded.

The gym is decent although you are required to rent “indoor shoes” to work out. They had one pair available in my husband’s size US 12. Nothing larger than that.

Location is incredibly convenient just across from Shinagawa station. We’ve tried some of the Japanese restaurants around the hotel and although very local in menu/clientele they have all been accommodating. While I really like the Ebisu area that the Westin is located in this will be my new go-to, unless the Westin really knocks it out of the park with the renovations.
Old Oct 13, 2023, 8:28 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by Marno
The gym is decent although you are required to rent “indoor shoes” to work out. They had one pair available in my husband’s size US 12. Nothing larger than that.
This was not the case as of December 2022. The gym shoes I use while traveling are, coincidentally, indoor use only shoes.
Old Nov 15, 2023, 10:53 am
TDV

Has anyone booked through AMEX Hotel Collection and received their Bonvoy benefits and points? TIA.
Old Feb 25, 2024, 5:12 pm

Does anyone know if this hotel is considered "luxurious" enough for the concierge to book top tier restaurants? I specifically have Sukiyabashi Jiro in mind, but I know in general there are exclusive restaurants that only take reservations from top hotels and am wondering if a request for a reservation from the Prince Sakura Tower would be accepted
Old Feb 25, 2024, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by SuperEWR
Does anyone know if this hotel is considered "luxurious" enough for the concierge to book top tier restaurants? I specifically have Sukiyabashi Jiro in mind, but I know in general there are exclusive restaurants that only take reservations from top hotels and am wondering if a request for a reservation from the Prince Sakura Tower would be accepted
I don't think hotels can manage Jiro any longer. He has become quite tight with the bookings. Particularly if you want to sit at his own counter, and not the other counter. His son's restaurant in Roppongi, yes likely.
But if there are hotels that can manage it, I would look to more prestigious local hotels. Like Hoshinoya, Capitol Tokyu, Tokyo Station Hotel.
Old Feb 25, 2024, 9:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I would peruse our Japan forum before committing. I've been to Jiro a few times over the years, and while Ginza has remained a steady boat, Roppongi has gone downhill in terms of its clientele. The food is still just as amazing, but the experience no longer really measures up as the location has become more of a side-car to shunt foreigners who want the "Jiro experience". The latest Ginza location review from a fellow FTer in the Japan forum suggested that Jiro-san's age is catching up with him, he is slower, needs help from an apprentice in keeping up with who gets what, and that could be a factor in reducing the volume of bookings he needs to serve and moving guests to the other section, and keeping him with his loyal regulars. It's certainly not how I want to remember him, so I haven't tried to go back.

Head over to the Japan forum, there is plenty of advice on some amazing sushi restaurants to consider, and advice with navigating Jiro bookings and experience if you still want to try.

In my experience, the top level restaurants that accept foreigners, and not all do, will prefer to work with the concierages from Mandarin Oriental, Aman, Four Seasons and hotels of that category, especially as it reflects on the "quality" of guest the restaurant would be receiving.
Old Feb 25, 2024, 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
I don't think hotels can manage Jiro any longer. He has become quite tight with the bookings. Particularly if you want to sit at his own counter, and not the other counter. His son's restaurant in Roppongi, yes likely.
But if there are hotels that can manage it, I would look to more prestigious local hotels. Like Hoshinoya, Capitol Tokyu, Tokyo Station Hotel.
Got it, that's helpful to know. My other option is to see if my friend who works at an international financial institution (Goldman Sachs type of place) and that I would see for dinner anyways could book it, as I'm sure they have people within the firm who dine at places like Jiro.

Originally Posted by bocastephen
I would peruse our Japan forum before committing. I've been to Jiro a few times over the years, and while Ginza has remained a steady boat, Roppongi has gone downhill in terms of its clientele. The food is still just as amazing, but the experience no longer really measures up as the location has become more of a side-car to shunt foreigners who want the "Jiro experience". The latest Ginza location review from a fellow FTer in the Japan forum suggested that Jiro-san's age is catching up with him, he is slower, needs help from an apprentice in keeping up with who gets what, and that could be a factor in reducing the volume of bookings he needs to serve and moving guests to the other section, and keeping him with his loyal regulars. It's certainly not how I want to remember him, so I haven't tried to go back.

Head over to the Japan forum, there is plenty of advice on some amazing sushi restaurants to consider, and advice with navigating Jiro bookings and experience if you still want to try.

In my experience, the top level restaurants that accept foreigners, and not all do, will prefer to work with the concierages from Mandarin Oriental, Aman, Four Seasons and hotels of that category, especially as it reflects on the "quality" of guest the restaurant would be receiving.
Got it, that's helpful to know on the current status of both Jiro locations, though if the Roppongi location's food is still just as great as ever, I might just go and be one of those annoying foreigners there for the Jiro experience.

On your point about preferring to work with concierges from the hotels you listed, that was my exact concern. Within the Marriott Bonvoy hotels, which ones would you consider in that category? I figured it was probably the RC, the two Editions, the Bulgari hotel, and the Prince Gallery Kioicho? Unfortunately for me, the only way I will be staying at hotels of the caliber you listed in the near term is a points redemption for a top Bonvoy hotel...
Old Feb 25, 2024, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Got it, that's helpful to know. My other option is to see if my friend who works at an international financial institution (Goldman Sachs type of place) and that I would see for dinner anyways could book it, as I'm sure they have people within the firm who dine at places like Jiro.

Got it, that's helpful to know on the current status of both Jiro locations, though if the Roppongi location's food is still just as great as ever, I might just go and be one of those annoying foreigners there for the Jiro experience.

On your point about preferring to work with concierges from the hotels you listed, that was my exact concern. Within the Marriott Bonvoy hotels, which ones would you consider in that category? I figured it was probably the RC, the two Editions, the Bulgari hotel, and the Prince Gallery Kioicho? Unfortunately for me, the only way I will be staying at hotels of the caliber you listed in the near term is a points redemption for a top Bonvoy hotel...
The RC will probably have the most concierge/prestige clout and willingness to work for your needs.
Old Feb 26, 2024, 12:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC

Ritz and Bulgari would be better options - I know the Westin was banned from making reservations at Jiro for awhile, but that was some years ago, I don't know if anything has changed.
Old Feb 26, 2024, 2:49 pm

Programs: SQ:TPPS, Marriott: Titanium
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
used to be PH could pretty much guarantee you a seat if you give them enough advance notice but nowadays I seriously doubt they can do that anymore. I heard it’s mostly his elder son running the show now and he only shows up once in a while (he’s what, 95yo?).

Last edited by williamluk; Feb 26, 2024 at 2:55 pm
Old Apr 25, 2024, 8:09 pm

Is it possible to walk from the Shinagawa station to the hotel? Google has it for 350m about 5 minutes, but it looks like a uphill from the station. I know they have a shuttle bus but try to avoid that.
Old Apr 25, 2024, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by neuro0
Is it possible to walk from the Shinagawa station to the hotel? Google has it for 350m about 5 minutes, but it looks like a uphill from the station. I know they have a shuttle bus but try to avoid that.
Definitely walkable, but once you cross the street it is an uphill walk along the path to the hotel.
Old Apr 25, 2024, 10:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by hailstorm
Definitely walkable, but once you cross the street it is an uphill walk along the path to the hotel.
Yep, super easy. Although I made the mistake of crossing the main North-South street just outside the station, which then required me to climb up and down steps for a pedestrian bridge on the other side.

I think walking north from the station, and then crossing at the intersection where the road goes up the hill to the hotel would have been a better choice.
htb and Majuki like this.
Old Apr 26, 2024, 12:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by econ
Yep, super easy. Although I made the mistake of crossing the main North-South street just outside the station, which then required me to climb up and down steps for a pedestrian bridge on the other side.

I think walking north from the station, and then crossing at the intersection where the road goes up the hill to the hotel would have been a better choice.
Yeah, just hang a right outside of the Takanawa exit, go past the walkway stairs (unless you'd like the workout) and keep going down the road to the next crossing opportunity, and then the hotel entrance pathway on the left side should be obvious fairly soon.

OR...instead of Shinagawa, go one more station down the line to Takanawa Gateway, for a slightly longer but simpler walk.

Edit: Actually, forget about that. Google says it's a whole kilometer away. Didn't feel that far to me!
Majuki and econ like this.
Old Apr 26, 2024, 2:09 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by hailstorm
Yeah, just hang a right outside of the Takanawa exit, go past the walkway stairs (unless you'd like the workout) and keep going down the road to the next crossing opportunity, and then the hotel entrance pathway on the left side should be obvious fairly soon.
The crosswalk is right by the 7-Eleven, and you can see it on Google Maps. Mrs. Majuki, Mrs. Majuki's parents, and I all made the mistake the first time of using the pedestrian bridge. The hill leading up to the hotel is manageable with luggage if one does not have any mobility issues.

Alternatively, there is a shuttle bus from the Shinagawa Prince Hotel, but my guess is that walking over there and taking the shuttle bus would take more time.
hailstorm likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.