Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Hotel Republic, Autograph Collection - San Diego, CA [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel Republic, Autograph Collection - San Diego, CA [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2020, 3:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Bonvoy titanium
I think force majeure would be the excuse used for guaranteed anything

just find another hotel and move on. The autograph republic isn’t even that great of a hotel. I stopped staying there when they started using courtyard style sheets
Old May 23, 2020, 2:13 pm

Programs: UA MM /Gold ; AS MVP Gold; SWA A LIst and CP; HH Gold; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Plat Elite
Cancellation email received Monday May 4th

Adding a datapoint to this thread. We had a summer 2020 reservation that was auto-cancelled. Here's the content of the email I received from Hotel Republic San Diego:

Dear LAINYS,

Unfortunately today, May 4, 2020, The Hotel Republic San Diego had to make the difficult decision to temporarily suspend hotel operations due to low business volumes and travel restrictions within San Diego.

We will be cancelling your reservation arriving xx/xx/2020, at this time and no further action is required by you if you are no longer planning to travel to San Diego. If you made a pre-paid reservation through the hotel or any other third party, your account will be reimbursed within the next 14 days.

Should you decide to keep your travel plans to San Diego, we are happy to refer you to the Westin Gaslamp or US Grant Marriott hotels within minutes of The Hotel Republic. Both hotels have confirmed that they are still operating and have space available for reservations.

Please continue to check out website www.hotelrepublicsd.com for up-to-date availability and announcements on resumed operations.

Thank you and please stay safe,

Ajay H | Director of Revenue Management

Hotel Republic San Diego

421 West B Street | San Diego, CA 92101

T. 619-398-3000 F. 619-398-3015
Old Dec 26, 2020, 4:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MVPG, DL Silver, United Silver, Accor Platinum, Marriott Ambassador
Just stayed at the Hotel Republic for the three days before Christmas. Found this to be a nice downtown SD property, we were in a king room and upgraded to a high floor. I liked the furnishings and lobby. Before checking in I asked about being upgraded to a corner room, which is one of the hotel's bigger ones. The check in agent stated that none were available as they were currently being "worked on" since the state was being shut down. She was either lying or miss informed as I had been watching inventory the week before, and corner rooms where still offered - even just before walking into the hotel. The property was also extremely quiet for the three nights we were there.

After our stay and reading this thread, I can't help but think that the property management is pretty stingy on elite upgrades. If I where to stay at the hotel again I would either pay up for the room I wanted or keep my expectations fairly low in regard to elite treatment.
Old Dec 27, 2020, 1:40 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
If you want good elite treatment in downtown San Diego, I highly recommend the Marriott Gaslamp Quarter. The associates there are really good overall, and I've always had great elite treatment.
River in Sight likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2021, 2:48 pm

I've seen recommendations for this property elsewhere but this thread is quite mixed. I have a June vacation planned which will be my first visit to San Diego. Is this the right area to be in or should I stay elsewhere? (Titanium/cash stay)
Old Jun 3, 2021, 8:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by omghaxcode
Is this the right area to be in or should I stay elsewhere? (Titanium/cash stay)
Right area for what? It's an urban location downtown, surrounded mostly by office buildings, with typical urban issues (i.e., homeless). It's within walking distance to Little Italy, the Gaslamp, and the waterfront. You'll need a car to visit the beach towns and many of the area tourist destinations.
Old Jun 3, 2021, 12:23 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by omghaxcode
I've seen recommendations for this property elsewhere but this thread is quite mixed. I have a June vacation planned which will be my first visit to San Diego. Is this the right area to be in or should I stay elsewhere? (Titanium/cash stay)
I've stayed at this hotel many times, as well as several other Marriott properties in the downtown San Diego area. I do like Hotel Republic but haven't stayed here since COVID happened. It used to be a W Hotel, so had a nice ambience for me. They don't really have a traditional suite, so if you're hoping for an upgrade, best you can hope for is the larger corner room... which is still nice. The hotel is in the business district, so it's not immediately around the busy areas with lots of restaurants and activities. We like staying here or at the Westin down the street, because it's central and easy to walk to Little Italy and Gaslamp and a little further but still walkable to the pier area. If you want to be in the center center of all the action... the Gaslamp hotels might be a better fit but downtown SD isn't massive in size. It's all walkable IMO.
Old Jun 3, 2021, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by Mighty_Bluff
I've stayed at this hotel many times, as well as several other Marriott properties in the downtown San Diego area. I do like Hotel Republic but haven't stayed here since COVID happened. It used to be a W Hotel, so had a nice ambience for me. They don't really have a traditional suite, so if you're hoping for an upgrade, best you can hope for is the larger corner room... which is still nice. The hotel is in the business district, so it's not immediately around the busy areas with lots of restaurants and activities. We like staying here or at the Westin down the street, because it's central and easy to walk to Little Italy and Gaslamp and a little further but still walkable to the pier area. If you want to be in the center center of all the action... the Gaslamp hotels might be a better fit but downtown SD isn't massive in size. It's all walkable IMO.

Great thanks. It sounds like it maybe isn't the right choice for me then. I'll look at one of the other options.
Old Jun 3, 2021, 4:02 pm

The downtown Marriott marquis is in my view best of the downtown higher end hotels. On the water with great pool area so you can relax and enjoy San Diego while still walking distance to gas lamp if that’s your thing. Hotel republic is a skip in my book
Old Jun 3, 2021, 5:47 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Titanium
Marquis is definitely in a nice spot but usually the more expensive of the downtown choices. The Marriott Gaslamp is also a good choice. My personal favorite is the US Grant. But also on the more expensive side and on the outer edge of the Gaslamp action...
Old Jun 3, 2021, 7:43 pm

Grant hands down wins on luxury. The homeless in the area though really put me off the grant, they tend to hang out in the park across the street
Old Jun 4, 2021, 1:13 pm

Programs: M/R AMBASSADOR/LT/TIT/UASILVER/AAGOLD
The Marquis is a great choice, however, add $75 each night for the "destination fee" and parking fee. Excellent location for sure.
Old Jul 2, 2023, 3:09 pm

Just did 2 nights here for a business trip, and I had a very good stay. Staff was unobtrusive and helpful when needed. I enjoyed the rooftop bar, since it's on the 2nd/3rd floor it does get quite a bit of shade from surrounding buildings, which was extremely nice. Lounge had a pretty standard breakfast and pleasant staff.

Most importantly, I had a very small accidental discrepancy on my folio that I didn't notice until after checkout. When I've had these sorts of problems at other properties it hasn't been unusual to need several phone calls over a week or more to get a resolution, but in this case I had a new folio in my inbox within minutes of calling.
Old Oct 15, 2023, 3:31 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
What's the breakfast situation like here? Trying to decide between the Autograph Collection, Luxury Collection, and Tribute Portfolio in the area
Old Jan 3, 2024, 1:10 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
Have a three-night stay (for a business meeting) next week. I'll update the thread after I get in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.