Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Hotel Republic, Autograph Collection - San Diego, CA [Master Thread]

Old Oct 14, 2017, 1:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium

Hotel website:

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...ph-collection/

Category 7.

"Plan your trip to the Hotel Republic San Diego, Autograph Collection for a distinctive blend of modern convenience and boutique sophistication. Our luxury hotel, which places you in the heart of downtown San Diego, near the Gaslamp Quarter and Little Italy, features a remarkable variety of helpful resources to ensure an unforgettable hotel stay in San Diego. Unwind after a busy day in downtown San Diego in your spacious, contemporary hotel room or suite; each hotel room is furnished with an assortment of luxury amenities. In addition, we offer exquisite on-site dining at Trade, our hotel restaurant, a well-equipped gym, and a business center. Boasting versatile, thoughtfully appointed space and state-of-the-art planning and catering services, our hotel is one of downtown San Diego's top event destinations, while our prime placement allows for easy access to Petco Park and the San Diego Convention Center. Lend yourself to modern luxury at the Hotel Republic San Diego, Autograph Collection."
Old Oct 14, 2017, 3:26 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
This is currently the Renaissance San Diego.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 6:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Kacee
Yup, know that. Tried to find the other thread as it had been discussed there but it didn't come up on search. Since it's going to be an Autograph moving forward, decided to create a new thread.

Cheers.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by Kacee
And formerly the W

Beware: the Marriott Vacation Club people are in the lobby approaching people to come check out their tacky timeshares.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 3:20 pm
Community Director Emerita

San Diego Magazine has a nice article about the hotel.

Some hotels are better than others. Some divisions of hotel empires are better than others, as well. And Marriotts elite, luxury model is the Autograph Collection. Nothing against standard Marriotts. But Autographs are like the baby siblings of the family, pampered to the edge of spoil. The design of each is original. The restaurants are among the best in Marriottland.

And now San Diego has its second. The first was Pier South Resort in Imperial Beach, a Silver Leed-certified beachfront ditty with gaping-maw views of the Pacific. The new arrival is the just-opened, 19-story Hotel Republic.

The article speaks of several good restaurants within the hotel. And Little Italy, just north of the hotel, is the trendiest place to go for good food for locals these days.

Extraordinary Desserts, my favorite dessert place in San Diego, is an easy five minute walk away.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 5:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
And formerly the W

Beware: the Marriott Vacation Club people are in the lobby approaching people to come check out their tacky timeshares.
I stayed here in September 2016. It was very tired and in need of a renovation. Plus, it had a rather pathetic rooftop pool.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 10:42 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Rewards Platinum, HHonors Gold
I stayed at the new Autograph Collection Hotel Republic San Diego last Friday -- it had been open for 3 weeks with the new branding. The lounge was still not open, although they said the lounge should be open yesterday (December 11). The lounge appears to have indoor and outdoor patio seating. I found the hotel to be "mostly" renovated -- although there were still some "original" items from the W hotel which seemed to be the elevators, bathrooms, A/C (that was a bit noisy). It appears there will be a new restaurant opening on the bottom floor corner -- but it was closed and boarded up. Valet Parking is $47 which is pretty steep. I just parked on the street which was free at night, and fed the meter for $1.25/hour in the day. Super convenient if you're taking Amtrak in as it's just 2 blocks from the Amtrak station. I found the staff to be all be pretty helpful and friendly.

I also did a video review of the property if you'd like to see what the renovation looks like:
markko likes this.

Last edited by thnarf; Dec 12, 2017 at 10:43 pm Reason: typo
Old Dec 15, 2017, 4:08 pm

How was the hotel in terms of elite treatment? Upgrade? Perks?
Old Jan 15, 2018, 7:45 pm

Programs: AA EXPLT, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), HHonors Gold, AMEX PLT, UA Silver, National EXC
Originally Posted by Potreroflyr
How was the hotel in terms of elite treatment? Upgrade? Perks?
I'm PLT - on a 1 night stay I just got "upgraded" to a top floor room (19th) that had a partial ocean view? Not a suite, etc... Lounge closed on weekends, so you get a "continental" voucher that is really just good for $30 off whatever you want to order off the menu (2 people, not sure if you could get $30 off for just 1 person... probably?). Food was tasty! But some issues for sure that I need to write up, such as staff unaware of the Mobile App chat feature, being charged tax still for the amount covered by the breakfast voucher, my folio being then overcharged from what I signed for at breakfast, etc.

No more pool FYI. Walls seemed thin as we were woken up at 2:30am by some violently loud people yelling and arguing in the hallway. Security came up, then left and it happened again. No note under the door or any sort of proactive apology.

Parked on the street since it was after 6pm on Saturday, so street parking was free all day Sunday a lot of $$$ otherwise ($45+).
Old Jan 16, 2018, 5:21 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by fotoflyer88
No more pool FYI.
What replaced the pool? When I stayed there in September 2016 the pool was pathetic. Not only was it tiny, but it received almost no sun. I was surprised that the hotel, originally a swanky W property, had such a pathetic pool.

The Westgate has an outstanding rooftop pool.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 10:51 am

Programs: AA EXPLT, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), HHonors Gold, AMEX PLT, UA Silver, National EXC
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
What replaced the pool? When I stayed there in September 2016 the pool was pathetic. Not only was it tiny, but it received almost no sun. I was surprised that the hotel, originally a swanky W property, had such a pathetic pool.

The Westgate has an outstanding rooftop pool.
As far as I could tell its just a deck area now... with the bar (and even some cabanas in place) but just wood decking and a circular fireplace.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 11:07 am

Programs: GS, Marriott Titanium LT, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold
Stayed there a couple of weeks ago. Upgrade is to the concierge floor, exact same room as booked, so not really an upgrade. Lounge is closed on the weekends. We got breakfast vouchers, but you can only get a very simple breakfast, so not much of a benefit. Elites are better off staying at the Marriot Gaslamp or the Marriott Marquis. Won't go back.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 12:16 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by fotoflyer88
Walls seemed thin as we were woken up at 2:30am by some violently loud people yelling and arguing in the hallway. Security came up, then left and it happened again. No note under the door or any sort of proactive apology.
Funny ... I stayed there when it was a Renn as it has a convenient location for some of my meetings there. The last two times, cops were on the elevator with someone in handcuffs.

Wonder why this hotel attracts that kind of crowd? Perhaps a W legacy?

And, I had a couple of decent upgrades when it was a Ren and liked the rooftop lounge, although the food choices weren't that good IIRC. I haven't stayed at the Gaslamp but like the Marquis and have good luck on recognition there as a Plat Premier.
fotoflyer88 likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 2:38 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Funny ... I stayed there when it was a Renn as it has a convenient location for some of my meetings there. The last two times, cops were on the elevator with someone in handcuffs.

Wonder why this hotel attracts that kind of crowd? Perhaps a W legacy?

And, I had a couple of decent upgrades when it was a Ren and liked the rooftop lounge, although the food choices weren't that good IIRC. I haven't stayed at the Gaslamp but like the Marquis and have good luck on recognition there as a Plat Premier.
When it was a Renaissance, the rates were pretty cheap compared to other properties and San Diego's generally lower hotel rates.
fotoflyer88 likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 10:13 am

I’ve stayed at the Marriott Gaslamp also - which you can usually find a decent rate for a parking package.

Ive sent a letter to management about the issues I experienced - as for me staying there again in the future will be determined by their response, of course. Lots of other MR/SPG properties to chose from. My rate was $179 pre-tax so not Mega-deep-discount but reasonable for the occasion.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.