Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Hotel Republic, Autograph Collection - San Diego, CA [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel Republic, Autograph Collection - San Diego, CA [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2019, 3:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Bonvoy titanium
Glass floor, I can see it now
DELee likes this.
Old May 5, 2020, 5:34 pm

Programs: DL MM/Silver; UA 1K ; Hilton Gold; Marriott Titanium; Avis Pref+,Hertz PC
Involuntary cancellation-Hotel Republic San Diego

So I was checking my other future Marriott reservations on the app and noticed my reservation at the Hotel Republic was not on there. So I looked at the “cancelled” page and there is was. It was cancelled yesterday. I know I didn’t do it so I called Marriott. The rep told me that the hotel cancelled it because it is currently closed until June 1st. I am furious. No email, no phone calls, nothing. She had sent a case up the chain to have somebody contact me. The rate among Marriott properties around the area on my dates have gone up. Anyone have any suggestions?
Old May 5, 2020, 6:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Figure out what you want that's realistic (switch to a hotel of the same category at the rate in your RIP reservation?) and try to negotiate. Be nice. If you can find other hotels in San Diego that are open and owned by the same outfit, switching to one of them might be easier.
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old May 5, 2020, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
yeah that's really poor. Looks like the hotel goofed. Would ask Marriott corporate to look for a close-by better hotel where they can get you the same rate.
Old May 6, 2020, 2:49 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
I had 3 reservations cancelled for April/May from the same hotel but I did get the one email to inform me. Could it have gone into your junk email?
Old May 6, 2020, 4:30 pm

Programs: DL MM/Silver; UA 1K ; Hilton Gold; Marriott Titanium; Avis Pref+,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by nequine
I had 3 reservations cancelled for April/May from the same hotel but I did get the one email to inform me. Could it have gone into your junk email?
No.
Old May 6, 2020, 5:47 pm

In the grand scheme of things going on does it really matter you didn’t get an email?
Old May 7, 2020, 11:37 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite; United 1K; AS MVP75k
Originally Posted by Nuhusky
In the grand scheme of things going on does it really matter you didn’t get an email?
Yes, yes it does. What if the OP had not looked at their reservations until a few days before their stay and found out then that it was cancelled? And then who covers the cost of the change in price for rooms at other local Marriott properties when they have to find something last minute? Sending an email for a cancellation is the least the hotel can do.
Old May 7, 2020, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by Captain Tony Buffett
Yes, yes it does. What if the OP had not looked at their reservations until a few days before their stay and found out then that it was cancelled? And then who covers the cost of the change in price for rooms at other local Marriott properties when they have to find something last minute? Sending an email for a cancellation is the least the hotel can do.
if times were normal, fine. If you have an upcoming reservation, I would always double check that it still exists and the hotel is open seeing that lots of hotels have shut down.
Nuhusky likes this.
Old May 7, 2020, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by longtimereader firstimeposter
if times were normal, fine. If you have an upcoming reservation, I would always double check that it still exists and the hotel is open seeing that lots of hotels have shut down.
this is spot on. Until further notice everyone needs to be proactive and check their reservations and not assume hotels are open. I keep standing reservations throughout the year and as time ticks by my reservations have been cancelled. Granted I was informed but still, people need to assume that the hotel isn’t open

just play the conversation with Marriott Corp in your mind

guest hi I’m calling about my reservation being cancelled. I was not told and I’m angry. Go make the hotel open because I’m super important

call center employee working minimum wage I’m sorry sir, let me just go look at that for you (all the while this person is thinking, yes sir call to complain you didn’t get an email while I work this low paying job and risk my life in a call center because they don’t let us work from home)
Old May 7, 2020, 12:29 pm

Some person working in a call center has nothing to do with a large corporation not sending out a cancellation email. It's 2020, this is not a complicated IT scheme to complete.

As I said before, it's not that hard to understand that MAYBE with everything going on, people don't have time to sit and babysit their reservations? How is the failure of the hotel/Marriott corp the OPs fault?

Are we just going to blame all shortcomings in 2020 on the pandemic? Sick of people making excuses for these companies.
Old May 7, 2020, 12:30 pm

A cancellation email can be automated. It's 2020. If I place a to-go order from a restaurant, and they are out of one of the items, they send me an email letting me know it's not available. It's not rocket science.
Old May 7, 2020, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Captain Tony Buffett
A cancellation email can be automated. It's 2020. If I place a to-go order from a restaurant, and they are out of one of the items, they send me an email letting me know it's not available. It's not rocket science.
Welcome to FT! Once you spend a bit of time here, you will see that almost all FTers are on the defensive when it comes to Marriott IT. To put it kindly, Marriott's IT looks like it was put together by some high school students (and even that is offensive to high school students). Is there another hotel company where you have to take screenshots before and after making/changing/cancelling a reservation? You should never cancel a reservation without first detaching any certs used on that reservation (in addition to taking screen shots), or your certs may disappear into the ether. Reservations that get cancelled resurrect themselves over and over again like zombies. The app and the website are often not in sync for 24 hrs while one catches up to the other. Rules have to be invented to mask IT shortcomings (like SNAs can't be applied to prepaid reservations, but FTers know the work around).

Yes, it's 2020, but Marriott's IT dates back to the 1990s. Anyone who has dealt with Marriott for any period of time, knows you have to check, check again and recheck all reservations!
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 8, 2020, 9:09 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
I had another reservation cancelled today (different hotel this time) and got an email alerting me to the fact.
Intl359Widget likes this.
Old May 10, 2020, 7:35 am

Update: I still haven’t received a cancellation email, btw. The hotel did call me Thursday apologizing. They offered a couple of alternates, including the Westin and US Grant nearby. Did not offer to comp me in anyway. Could the Ultimate Reservation Guarantee kicks in on this occasion? Just wondering.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.