Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Hotel Republic, Autograph Collection - San Diego, CA [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel Republic, Autograph Collection - San Diego, CA [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2018, 11:04 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
When it was a Renaissance, the rates were pretty cheap compared to other properties and San Diego's generally lower hotel rates.
I don't think its a function of rates. On top of our recent posters experience, I don't think I've stayed at any other Marriott properties where I've seen people in handcuffs on an elevator on two different stays. And ... the guys in handcuffs seemed pretty calm, suggesting it wasn't their first time. This property might have a reputation among the locals that we aren't aware of.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 4:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
I don't think I've stayed at any other Marriott properties where I've seen people in handcuffs on an elevator on two different stays.
I wonder if you have to pay extra for that.
markko likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 6:00 pm

Programs: AA EXPLT, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), HHonors Gold, AMEX PLT, UA Silver, National EXC
Update: I received an email from the Hotel guest services manager after I sent an email/survey responses about some of the issues I experienced. After some delay (possibly due to an email issue) I received a reply that I felt was genuine and sincere:
"We will be looking into this situation regarding the breakfast charge and seeing how this occurred and making sure it does not happen in the future. Also, for the guest arguing in the hall I have spoken to our security team to make sure that in these situations they stay in the hall and do rounds to make sure the guests that are being disturbing stay quiet... I would like to offer you a one night complimentary stay certificate to come back to the hotel so we can provide the service that we pride ourselves on providing to our guests."

I did not ask for anything (and likewise I never 'demand' compensation) - so I particularly appreciate the offer of a certificate to try the property again. Will of course report back when I do that. If anyone needs to get in touch with the manager themselves send me a PM and I would be happy to provide that to you.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Considering staying here for a convention in February...anyone know if with the new program we get lounge access, or what the platinum amenity is?
Old Feb 23, 2019, 8:48 pm

Any recent experience here? How's their treatment to Plats/Titaniums? Thinking of staying on a Friday night, so I assume I will get a voucher for breakfast? The other property I am considering is The Westin SD. Thanks!
Old Feb 23, 2019, 11:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Bonvoy titanium
They have a lounge now.

Treatment is decent but all the rooms are the same unless you get a corner room. You should expect a high floor, none of the rooms have views at all. I find this a comfortable property and now that it has a lounge a good location in sd

my only complaint is the lounge opens around 7 I beleive. It really should open earlier
Old Feb 24, 2019, 4:29 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
I can see why this property didn't make it branded as a W or even a Renaissance. The rooftop pool, beyond being pathetically small, gets almost no sunshine because it's not actually on the rooftop.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 5:16 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
I can see why this property didn't make it branded as a W or even a Renaissance. The rooftop pool, beyond being pathetically small, gets almost no sunshine because it's not actually on the rooftop.
The pool was nixed to make space for the Veranda Lounge. According to this review [[url]https://www.travelcodex.com/review-hotel-republic-san-diego-renaissance/] from February 1st, 2019, the lounge grants access to "Marriott Rewards Gold members and above", and they are "entitled to free breakfast and happy hour in the Veranda Club Lounge. Breakfast is served from 7:00 AM to 9:00 AM and happy hour is served from 4:00 PM to 6:00 PM. Breakfast was decent but happy hour wasn’t very happy at all. For happy hour, there were only a few drink options and some very light snacks. Breakfast was more substantial with hot options such as oatmeal, scrambled eggs, potatoes and bacon/sausages and cold options such as whole fruits, pastries and cereal."

From what I've gathered online, happy hour entails complimentary wine, beer, soda and light snacks. Not to look a gift horse in the mouth, but free drinks in America? Hey hey.

khabah
Old Feb 24, 2019, 6:14 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by khabah
The pool was nixed to make space for the Veranda Lounge. According to this review [[url]https://www.travelcodex.com/review-hotel-republic-san-diego-renaissance/] from February 1st, 2019, the lounge grants access to "Marriott Rewards Gold members and above", and they are "entitled to free breakfast and happy hour in the Veranda Club Lounge. Breakfast is served from 7:00 AM to 9:00 AM and happy hour is served from 4:00 PM to 6:00 PM. Breakfast was decent but happy hour wasn’t very happy at all. For happy hour, there were only a few drink options and some very light snacks. Breakfast was more substantial with hot options such as oatmeal, scrambled eggs, potatoes and bacon/sausages and cold options such as whole fruits, pastries and cereal."

From what I've gathered online, happy hour entails complimentary wine, beer, soda and light snacks. Not to look a gift horse in the mouth, but free drinks in America? Hey hey.

khabah
I wonder if the the removal of the pool is the reason why it was re-flagged to Autograph Collection not long after re-flagged from W to Renaissance. Most Renaissance properties in North America have a pool.

Last edited by hockeyinsider; Feb 24, 2019 at 7:53 am
Old Feb 24, 2019, 7:25 am

Yes lounge was installed where the pool was. I’d rather a lounge over a pool
Old Jun 10, 2019, 4:04 am

planning to stay next year could someone provide me with the email address of the hotel?

thanks
Old Jun 10, 2019, 4:33 am

Update on a recent stay that has changed my mind on this property. They used to have nice comforters as a sheet set however they appear to have swapped out their comforters for courtyard quality sheets

scratchy and not pleasant. Used to be my go to hotel in downtown

unfortunately for the sheets alone I must look elsewhere
Old Jul 1, 2019, 8:27 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott lifetime Plt, UA 1MM
Had a three night stay last week. No room upgrade was offered nor requested. We were given breakfast in the main restaurant on Sunday (lounge closed) which was exceptional. The Mon-Fri lounge breakfast was fine and having an outdoor seating option was nice and well used. Evening Lounge Happy hour was an unexpected benefit. They had 4-6 wines to choose from, Stella Artois and a local IPA for beer. Room was nothing exceptional, but was on a high floor and quiet which is my main request. All in all a solid stay and would return.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 2:30 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Amb; AA EXP
As a W, this was one of the first non-black/dark themed hotels. I liked it. The rooftop was cool, though I was never here when there were more than a couple of people.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Nuhusky
I’d rather (have) a lounge over a pool
Now that would be a _cool_ lounge - and quite novel for San Diego!

David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.