Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Bangkok Marriott Hotel The Surawongse, Thailand [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 3, 2019, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Print Wikipost

Bangkok Marriott Hotel The Surawongse, Thailand [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2018, 4:17 am

my two cents worth

Have completed two stays there including opening day. And i have also tried all of the other SPG, Hyatt and Hilton options.

The hotel impresses notwithstanding how new it is, and that it is still ramping up.

hardware - apart from a few nitty gritty issues observable in every new build (and the small tub, but i never use one), it is excellent

f&b - really shines here compared to other SPG options except the SGS, the all-day dining restaurant Praya Kitchen serves delicious and affordable buffet/ala carte. Rooftop bar is beautiful and likely to become one of the top places in BKK. Yet to try the chinese restaurant

service - staff are generally very willing to assist and tries very hard. Management staff are omnipresent. Still not polished, but surely theyll get there

location - is the only thing that docks a few points off this hotel for me. It is in the middle of a quiet neighbourhood, one way road towards the expressway and river, would definitely break a sweat walking towards Le meridien surawong and the two closest BTS station - sala daeng/ chong nongsi

rates - still high although i see it averages 4000 baht now, for that price it competes with many excellent hotels eg plaza athenee and sgs if booked in advance. Im not sure it is value for money in this case but would be very tempted to book a short one/two nighter just to hang out within the hotel.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 8:30 am
Suspended

I stayed here yesterday and today at The Athenee, I only get a small UP at the Athenee but Marriott giving me a three bedroom apartment..however I end up prefer the Athenee more...the location of Marriott is certainly not for tourist, nothing nearby and nothing to see from your window unless you are facing the pool/edition hotel side, and also as above mentioned the bathtub is long enough but very shallow , breakfast in 10 :20 am sold out most of food in weekends which closed in 11...
Old Jun 20, 2018, 10:12 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, oneworld Emerald
Anyone can compare this Marriott to Marquis? Thinking where to redeem a free night cert.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 3:11 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, A3 Gold
Booked two weeks using cat 5 certs. Seems like the location sucks, but the rest seems to be great. Will see how much of an impediment the location is.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 10:54 pm
Suspended

Anyone have email of this hotel?
Old Jul 8, 2018, 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by barracuda93
Anyone can compare this Marriott to Marquis? Thinking where to redeem a free night cert.
I have stayed at both. Marques is much better. Better access to the sky train, better food in the club lounge. Marriott Surawongse is new but that's it. Food in the M club was surprisingly disappointment. You will need a taxi to get there if you don't like driving in Bangkokor walking about 1 miles from the train station.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 9:58 pm

I really wanted to stay here for a one day layover, the rooftop pool looks amazing but you guys are definitely swaying me with the location.

We have an overnight stopover in Bangkok after 2 days of travel and I just want to unwind, relax by the pool, enjoy the lounge, and get a good nights sleep. I would be taking a taxi or grab (uber) to and from the airport. MIGHT want to taxi somewhere to check out a bar at night but probably content staying at the property.

Thoughts or is it just too remote and far away from the main stuff in Bangkok and the airport?
Old Dec 12, 2018, 5:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
Not many people were hopeful on that hotel before it opened, given the location (not far from the river, but not on the river, not close to a BTS or MRT station, not in a very popular area), but it seems that, so far, it is a success in terms of occupancy and popularity with the guests (#1 on TA).

From what I understand, the architecture of the building is quite nice (same as the one of the LMBKK).

I'll probably spend a night or two, during a trip toward the start of next year, to check things out.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by FlyingXplorer
Booked two weeks using cat 5 certs. Seems like the location sucks, but the rest seems to be great. Will see how much of an impediment the location is.
How did your trip go?
Old Dec 12, 2018, 7:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by UASPG
it seems that, so far, it is a success in terms of occupancy and popularity with the guests (#1 on TA).
Several of the Marriott Bangkok properties quite obviously pump their TA ratings with fake reviews, so I wouldn't pay much attention to that.

Location, not within walking distance to BTS, would be a total deal killer for me.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 8:38 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Midwestgirl22
I really wanted to stay here for a one day layover, the rooftop pool looks amazing but you guys are definitely swaying me with the location.

We have an overnight stopover in Bangkok after 2 days of travel and I just want to unwind, relax by the pool, enjoy the lounge, and get a good nights sleep. I would be taking a taxi or grab (uber) to and from the airport. MIGHT want to taxi somewhere to check out a bar at night but probably content staying at the property.

Thoughts or is it just too remote and far away from the main stuff in Bangkok and the airport?
We stayed here for our last night in BKK during late Oct. We did mostly Hilton properties (don't shoot me!) in Asia during to the massive promo over Marriott, and Marriott booking system (constant error out and outage) was a .... show when I was finalizing my travel plans. On and all, we were glad we give this new property a shot.

To sum it all up, we've been to the Conrad, newly opened WA, Hilton at Sukhumvit, hands down in terms of satisfaction of stay, the Marriott Surawongse won our hearts. Maybe also because we were Plat Premier, the staff were extra attentive to our needs. We were diamond with Hilton too, but the level of attention was incomparable. From check in, to suite upgrade, to all the hand written notes from management and M Lounge staffers, we felt so spoiled. We also noticed the staffing are a younger bunch, maybe they connect with us better as Millennials; they are also very willing to go the extra mile when something is requested.

The next highlight was the M lounge, the decor to service felt like we were at a JW, no kidding. Spectacular views, free flow of alcoholic beverage and dedicated chef station for cooked food with different nightly themes. We happened to arrive for Thai night, where they made Thai oyster omelettes and a bunch of other thai entrees, and light refreshments.

I might be biased, but the design resonated a feeling of a very inviting luxury residential living space than a hotel. Compared to the ultra luxury WA, the WA designs and layout felt more like a luxury mall than a living space. Layout of our M Suite was spectacular; clean, modern, contemporary designs with a Thai twist. We lucked out as our view overlooked the pool by a few floors. 2 41" TV mirrored back to back, 1 for the living room and 1 for the BR, with a sliding door for privacy the divide the room. Comfortable dining table by the open concept dry bar. The bed was heavenly! Usually we get mattress that are too soft, but over here, it was just right for us. There were sufficient electric ports through the rooms and by the night stand, the space was very well thought out. We asked what was the difference between the 1 BR suite and the junior suite aka M Suite, and front desk said that 1 BR suite comes with an island dining kitchen and sink.

The speakeasy/chinese inspired rooftop bar was mindblowing. It's so chic that I thought I was at a W back in the days when they had done things so well.
Complimentary snacks, accompanying my delicious cocktail with insane views of the city! It was a double tier bar, ample dining and sitting space, and each nook and cranny gave a really open atmosphere but feeling private at the same time.

Now for the hiccups, when we arrived the pool was under maintenance, it wasn't complete until 12pm the next day. The hotel was giving complimentary shuttle services to the W pool for the inconvenience. So nbd, but we didn't go to the W.

Due to the new merged program, Marriott hotels do not offer elites bfast at their signature restaurant, so we are only limited to the M lounge. It wasn't a deal breaker for us, but when we stayed at all the hiltons, it was nice to be given an option to choose where you want your comp bfast.

The bathroom layout was kindda odd. You have the tub beside the open concept glass windows overseeing the bedroom (no worries because you have shades), but the toilet was also open concept beside the vanity, where as the standing shower is enclosed. Honestly I would prefer the toilet to be enclosed, and the shower over the tub or in a separate area would make more sense.

Lastly the location, it is really tucked out in the outskirts from all the action. Even if you take a tuktuk, it takes about 10 mins to get to the Meridien at Silom.

Having said that, we've been to Bkk multiple times, it was refreshing for once to be out of the tourist area. On our following morning before we checked out, we saw there was a street filled with people, and we decided to check it out to see what's going on. And to our surprise, it was a delight to our senses. A seemingly dead street the night before was revived into a morning market, where all the locals flock to buy breakfast, fresh fruits and veggies, as well as many other knick knaks. If this is where the locals eat, you are never astray from really authentic thai food! What a treat!

My tip to you, this might be a great spot to unwind and stay in for a day or 2 if you are not planning to run around in the city, we would definitely be staying at the Surawongse again. (It's pronounced as the Surawong, se is silent) Probably on our next stay, we'll get more time to explore more of the "heritage" neighborhood that the staff boasts about..
Thunderroad and GalaxyChris like this.

Last edited by exploreaswego; Dec 12, 2018 at 8:54 am
Old Dec 12, 2018, 5:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
Originally Posted by Kacee
Several of the Marriott Bangkok properties quite obviously pump their TA ratings with fake reviews, so I wouldn't pay much attention to that. ...
I was told by a couple of GMs that the hotel was doing well, which surprised me.

Ratings: I was also wondering about The Athenee being # 5.

Last edited by UASPG; Dec 12, 2018 at 5:35 pm
Old Dec 12, 2018, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Kacee
Location, not within walking distance to BTS, would be a total deal killer for me.
It is for me, and otherwise the hotel would be a prime one for me to try. One of the managers will remember me from her last position within Starwood, so my chances of a suite upgrade are likely pretty good there. But the location takes it off my list completely. According to Google Maps, it's a 17 minute walk to BTS Sala Daeng, and a 19 minute walk to BTS Saphan Taksin. So every time I leave the hotel, I have to add over half an hour roundtrip travel time to wherever I'm going. That's a deal breaker for me. Compare to my usual hotel in Bangkok, SGS, where the hotel is located at co-located BTS and MRT stations, with an elevated walkway directly from the hotel lobby into the stations. WGS, across the street, is also very convenient to transportation, with an entrance to the same stations just 10 or 20 meters from the front door.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by bluestrudels
We stayed here for our last night in BKK during late Oct. We did mostly Hilton properties (don't shoot me!) in Asia during to the massive promo over Marriott, and Marriott booking system (constant error out and outage) was a .... show when I was finalizing my travel plans. On and all, we were glad we give this new property a shot.

To sum it all up, we've been to the Conrad, newly opened WA, Hilton at Sukhumvit, hands down in terms of satisfaction of stay, the Marriott Surawongse won our hearts. Maybe also because we were Plat Premier, the staff were extra attentive to our needs. We were diamond with Hilton too, but the level of attention was incomparable. From check in, to suite upgrade, to all the hand written notes from management and M Lounge staffers, we felt so spoiled. We also noticed the staffing are a younger bunch, maybe they connect with us better as Millennials; they are also very willing to go the extra mile when something is requested.

The next highlight was the M lounge, the decor to service felt like we were at a JW, no kidding. Spectacular views, free flow of alcoholic beverage and dedicated chef station for cooked food with different nightly themes. We happened to arrive for Thai night, where they made Thai oyster omelettes and a bunch of other thai entrees, and light refreshments.

I might be biased, but the design resonated a feeling of a very inviting luxury residential living space than a hotel. Compared to the ultra luxury WA, the WA designs and layout felt more like a luxury mall than a living space. Layout of our M Suite was spectacular; clean, modern, contemporary designs with a Thai twist. We lucked out as our view overlooked the pool by a few floors. 2 41" TV mirrored back to back, 1 for the living room and 1 for the BR, with a sliding door for privacy the divide the room. Comfortable dining table by the open concept dry bar. The bed was heavenly! Usually we get mattress that are too soft, but over here, it was just right for us. There were sufficient electric ports through the rooms and by the night stand, the space was very well thought out. We asked what was the difference between the 1 BR suite and the junior suite aka M Suite, and front desk said that 1 BR suite comes with an island dining kitchen and sink.

The speakeasy/chinese inspired rooftop bar was mindblowing. It's so chic that I thought I was at a W back in the days when they had done things so well.
Complimentary snacks, accompanying my delicious cocktail with insane views of the city! It was a double tier bar, ample dining and sitting space, and each nook and cranny gave a really open atmosphere but feeling private at the same time.

Now for the hiccups, when we arrived the pool was under maintenance, it wasn't complete until 12pm the next day. The hotel was giving complimentary shuttle services to the W pool for the inconvenience. So nbd, but we didn't go to the W.

Due to the new merged program, Marriott hotels do not offer elites bfast at their signature restaurant, so we are only limited to the M lounge. It wasn't a deal breaker for us, but when we stayed at all the hiltons, it was nice to be given an option to choose where you want your comp bfast.

The bathroom layout was kindda odd. You have the tub beside the open concept glass windows overseeing the bedroom (no worries because you have shades), but the toilet was also open concept beside the vanity, where as the standing shower is enclosed. Honestly I would prefer the toilet to be enclosed, and the shower over the tub or in a separate area would make more sense.

Lastly the location, it is really tucked out in the outskirts from all the action. Even if you take a tuktuk, it takes about 10 mins to get to the Meridien at Silom.

Having said that, we've been to Bkk multiple times, it was refreshing for once to be out of the tourist area. On our following morning before we checked out, we saw there was a street filled with people, and we decided to check it out to see what's going on. And to our surprise, it was a delight to our senses. A seemingly dead street the night before was revived into a morning market, where all the locals flock to buy breakfast, fresh fruits and veggies, as well as many other knick knaks. If this is where the locals eat, you are never astray from really authentic thai food! What a treat!

My tip to you, this might be a great spot to unwind and stay in for a day or 2 if you are not planning to run around in the city, we would definitely be staying at the Surawongse again. (It's pronounced as the Surawong, se is silent) Probably on our next stay, we'll get more time to explore more of the "heritage" neighborhood that the staff boasts about..
Thanks so much for the update and suggestions. Definitely strongly considering this for my overnight to unwind, although it will be my first time in BKK. (I am returning for 3 nights two weeks later and will be able to explore then).

Does anyone know how far of a cab or grab ride this place is from any of the main action? (bars/restaurants)
Old Dec 13, 2018, 8:12 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Midwestgirl22
Thanks so much for the update and suggestions. Definitely strongly considering this for my overnight to unwind, although it will be my first time in BKK. (I am returning for 3 nights two weeks later and will be able to explore then).

Does anyone know how far of a cab or grab ride this place is from any of the main action? (bars/restaurants)
This property is a great off-location hotel with the infinity pool and all the slightly nicer perks you don't really get with the other hotels. Most importantly the property is still new, so the staff are very willing to go an extra mile to accommodate to guests, especially elite folks.

Depends on what you value and what you want to do? BKK is a big city, there are many districts offering a different atmosphere. Most people stay at the chitlom/saladaeng strip along the BTS because it's where all the mega malls are concentrated at, and all the 5 stars chain hotels all set up shop there, and you literally do not need to cross the streets on the ground, they have skywalks that links you from malls to malls, which is extra helpful in the sweltering midday heat.

If you are a fan of night markets/street food/wholesale shopping malls like us, try researching the Novotel at the Platinum Mall. It's a little far from the BTS (say 10 min walk), but you are in the middle of literally everything. They have night markets that go from 6-7pm to 1am, and another group set up shop from 4-7am, you also get the regular street vendors spread through everywhere through the day as well. It's also beside the canal where you can take a 100 baht boat ride to the main river that takes you to Chao Phraya River.

Back to your question, depends on what kind of action. The nightlife and bars at Silom are about 15 min cab away. If you want to go to those fancy restaurants in Sukhumvit, can take up to 30 without traffic, sometimes an hour or more during peak hours.
Thunderroad likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.