Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Bangkok Marriott Hotel The Surawongse, Thailand [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 3, 2019, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Print Wikipost

Bangkok Marriott Hotel The Surawongse, Thailand [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2018, 10:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the pictures. Much appreciated!

Cheers.
Old May 21, 2018, 12:00 am

Programs: SPG
This is a hotel that is barely 1 month old when I stayed on the start of May and I was probably one of the first to stay in my room. There are still some teething issues from pre opening but the service and the F&B is excellent.

Checked in as gold as a award stay but wasn’t upgraded although the hotel didn’t feel very full

Executive lounge is very good is and you get a simple lunch (3 mains in the live station to choose from and a number of starters, salads and desserts) instead of high tea similar to Marriott Marquis Queen’s Park:

Breakfast 0630 to 1030
Light Lunch 1200 to 1400
Hor d’oeuvres and desserts 1730 to 2030
Open Bar 1730 to 2030

Breakfast option was only in the lounge but I managed to get it in the restaurant as they are still in the pre opening stage. But I guess moving forward it will be lounge only as per Marquis since it’s the same owner.

Location will however be a challenge. (I am not penalising this as I booked the hotel knowing it is not close to any BTS or MRT and I tend to agree with the others that this is not ideal for a first timer in Bangkok.)
The property is progressively rolling out a shuttle bus service to BTS so it should be more convenient as time goes by.

Last edited by dingjie; May 21, 2018 at 8:57 am
Old May 21, 2018, 2:33 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by dingjie
This is a hotel that is barely 1 month old when I stayed on the start of May and I was probably one of the first to stay in my food.
OK, I really appreciate the thoughtful information but this has got to be one of my favorite typos ever.
Old May 21, 2018, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by CJKatl
OK, I really appreciate the thoughtful information but this has got to be one of my favorite typos ever.
oops! Amended!
Old Jun 5, 2018, 11:53 am

Programs: Some
Any more stays here?

The reviews this place is getting on TripAdvisor are completely crazy (it's now ranked as the second best hotel out of 915 in Bangkok, 100/106 reviews left so far are 5/5) so would appreciate a Flyertalk perspective! Looks like a great hotel physically but interested in i) whether the hard product is high quality and ii) if they're over the usual opening-related service hump. How does this rank vs. the other Marriott and SPG properties in BKK?
Old Jun 6, 2018, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
Any more stays here?

The reviews this place is getting on TripAdvisor are completely crazy (it's now ranked as the second best hotel out of 915 in Bangkok, 100/106 reviews left so far are 5/5) so would appreciate a Flyertalk perspective! Looks like a great hotel physically but interested in i) whether the hard product is high quality and ii) if they're over the usual opening-related service hump. How does this rank vs. the other Marriott and SPG properties in BKK?
i honestly think it’s a good hotel and the hardware and software is really good but I do find the location a bit off so if you are okay and prefers a quieter location, this is a good option.

If you acknowledge the location prior to the stay, it’s 5 Star.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 10:47 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I'm intrigued to give this a shot, planning a short trip to BKK/SG early October.
However, location wise, this is in the middle of bumble-f*k town.
Away from the cluster of malls and shops. Narrow roads, surrounded by industrial businesses, and at least 1-2 miles walk to the nearest BTS.
FYI - unless you are going to major attractions, you'll need a cab or take public transportation.
But walking in the streets of Bangkok in the sweltering heat without the covered broadwalk mid day for a mile is no joke.

It's really interesting to find out what their actual target demographic is for opening at such a location.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 1:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium & LTP, Hilton Diamond (Aspire card), Hyatt Globalist, UA Gold (almost free agent)
Stayed 8 nights in late May. Excellent hotel with ok location and during night after 9PM it's very quiet very few people walking around hotel roads means you need to be a little cautious. Hotel does provide shuttle bus to BTS but just one bus per hour, this is area they should improve maybe at least one per half hour. Has anybody noticed the short bath tub which is really unbearable? so if daily bath relaxing is your thing, better avoid this hotel.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 2:13 am

Hmm, thanks for the feedback all. Seems they're quite generous with Platinum upgrades at the moment?

I'm in Bangkok in a few weeks but location is a definite concern, albeit I don't typically use the BTS anyway so less serious. Love the look of the pool, bar and Chinese restaurant. Unfortunately, it will take quite a lot to tear me away from The Athenee, but if I don't stay here will at least try to drop by for drinks / dinner to check out the view.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 11:23 am

Programs: United MP Premier Gold, *A Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by tomwhom
Stayed 8 nights in late May. Excellent hotel with ok location and during night after 9PM it's very quiet very few people walking around hotel roads means you need to be a little cautious. Hotel does provide shuttle bus to BTS but just one bus per hour, this is area they should improve maybe at least one per half hour. Has anybody noticed the short bath tub which is really unbearable? so if daily bath relaxing is your thing, better avoid this hotel.

Yes the bath tub is tiny, even for my friend who is 5"2" it was small for her.

Stayed one night in April using my fall mega bonus cert there and as a gold checking in at 11 am I was upgraded to a 2 room apartment with a full kitchen and a washer machine on the 28th floor. Only 6 guest rooms on that floor.
The staff was excellent and loved how they would go stand in the street for you to get you a metered taxi and get you to where you had to go. Only issue I had was drivers having a hard time finding the hotel on the way there each time.

When I was there the roof top bar was closed.

I will try and post some pictures later as I need to transfer them to my computer.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 2:25 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Are you sure it's a small bathtub and not a really huge Thai squat toilet?
Old Jun 8, 2018, 4:12 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
Same owner as The Athenee, LC and LM Bangkok (A Thai tycoon named K. Charoen).
Old Jun 9, 2018, 5:33 am

Now rated as number 1 hotel in Bangkok on TripAdvisor.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 3:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
Now rated as number 1 hotel in Bangkok on TripAdvisor.
I'm not saying the hotel isn't very good, I have no idea (and won't because the location is poor IMO) but why would anyone care for or trust trip advisor ratings? These are effectively gamed up and down Asia and likely further afield.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 4:08 am

Originally Posted by dsquared37
I'm not saying the hotel isn't very good, I have no idea (and won't because the location is poor IMO) but why would anyone care for or trust trip advisor ratings? These are effectively gamed up and down Asia and likely further afield.
Agree they’re hardly foolproof, but generally Trip Advisor is directionally correct - I’m not sure there are any great properties in any city languishing outside the Top 30 or so and equally if something is highly rated it’s probably not terrible.

Last edited by lost_in_translation; Jun 10, 2018 at 4:15 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.