Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Tokyo EDITION Toranomon, Minato-ku, Tokyo [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Tokyo EDITION Toranomon, Minato-ku, Tokyo [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2024, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Did a one night points stay to check out the new Azabudai Hills complex. No complaints whatsoever, hotel was intimate and comfy, staff was super friendly and accommodating. The Terrace Garden is a great place to have drinks and snacks and look out over Tokyo Tower, with all the surrounding foliage keeping you in your own little world (do take advantage of the above tip and get the 20% discount on non-breakfast dining by signing up to their newsletter)

Pool was tiny but functional. I liken it to a smaller version of the Grand Hyatt, as an all-encompassing type pool instead of one with spectacular views (or "once spectacular" in the case of the Andaz...) You do have to call to reserve your place at the pool, and they keep the occupancy low.

I'm only a Gold, and I wasn't going to pay 6300+ yen per person for a set menu breakfast, but the apples and bananas from the gym held us over long enough to an 11am lunch nearby. At the last minute was able to get reservations to the Borderless exhibit (highly recommend!), so they graciously extended our parking privileges to 6pm.

Overall, a solid use of 79000 points.
Old Mar 6, 2024, 2:08 am

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Curious what folks think about here at 43k++ vs Andaz at 47k++. Mostly care about hard product. Rate difference makes elite breakfast kind of moot because I could just pay for it and the rates would still be close, or not pay it and pay less.

Saw post above mention no upgrade to even tower view as a Titanium which is maybe concerning but Tokyo hotels have been packed.

Premier room also option at 53k++
Old Mar 6, 2024, 3:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nexusCFX
Curious what folks think about here at 43k++ vs Andaz at 47k++. Mostly care about hard product. Rate difference makes elite breakfast kind of moot because I could just pay for it and the rates would still be close, or not pay it and pay less.
Not necessarily moot if you enjoy a breakfast buffet. None to be had at the Edition.
Old Mar 6, 2024, 3:19 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium (LT Silver), United Silver
Originally Posted by nexusCFX

Saw post above mention no upgrade to even tower view as a Titanium which is maybe concerning but Tokyo hotels have been packed.

Premier room also option at 53k++
That is some good rate! Are they corporate rates?
Old Mar 6, 2024, 4:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by frank.lan.yufan
Yeah, I was going to say, I stayed on a Sunday night on points, but the cash rate was close to 100k...
Old Mar 6, 2024, 4:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
They probably are corporate rates. We have something relatively similar.

For a roughly similar price, I'd personally prefer Edition over Andaz.

If you are a very big on breakfast, Andaz is probably better as it is a buffet with lots of options where Edition is set menus, good but not as wide options. Neither Edition nor Andaz strikes me as particularly good when it comes to the Japanese breakfast options.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 9:21 am

Is there a consensus on whether this one or the new Ginza one is a better hotel? I'm relatively agnostic to location, as both are quite convenient, but the Ginza one is 383k points for the 5 nights that I'm looking at vs 452k for Toranomon
Old Mar 26, 2024, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by SuperEWR
Is there a consensus on whether this one or the new Ginza one is a better hotel? I'm relatively agnostic to location, as both are quite convenient, but the Ginza one is 383k points for the 5 nights that I'm looking at vs 452k for Toranomon
I guess it depends on what you want from your hotel, on which one is best. But for the pricing I'd probably do the Ginza one.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ginza one seems a lot more "boutique" ("The first bar in Japan to offer an authentic punch bowl ritual, inspired by 19th-century London private clubs"), and also doesn't have a pool, if any of those things influence your decision.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hailstorm
Ginza one seems a lot more "boutique" ("The first bar in Japan to offer an authentic punch bowl ritual, inspired by 19th-century London private clubs"), and also doesn't have a pool, if any of those things influence your decision.
Indeed Ginza has no pool, the gym seems to be a random after thought ending up being a tiny room with the bare minimum. The bar and the restaurant is rather nice, they have a very generous elite discount on breakfast.

While the pool is not huge at Toranomon it is nice space. The gym is certainly better. Breakfast is overpriced for what it is, the Japanese breakfast is disappointing. The lobby bar is quite nice, though their main bar tender recently left for another venture.
Radiation Station likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 10:06 am

Got it, thanks guys, it seems like it's down to the size of the hotel, better gym at Toranomon, and better breakfast at a better price at Ginza? I am intending to try to use SNAs for my stay and I had read that there's larger suites at the Toranomon location (plus potentially more total suites?), so maybe that would shift it in favor of the Toranomon location?
Old Mar 27, 2024, 10:11 am

Design is overall better at Ginza. More customized from Edition brand standard, bit still meh imo.

Ginza is a smaller floorplate, Toranomon is a brand-new tall building. Ginza build-out was vastly restricted by zoning.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Although the poster doesn't care about location, Toranomon now has the Azabudai Hills area within easy walking distance, and its certainly worth a look. Especially if you can get a reservation for the Borderless exhibit.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 11:05 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Yes.
Originally Posted by hailstorm
Not necessarily moot if you enjoy a breakfast buffet. None to be had at the Edition.
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
For a roughly similar price, I'd personally prefer Edition over Andaz.
If you are a very big on breakfast, Andaz is probably better as it is a buffet with lots of options where Edition is set menus, good but not as wide options. Neither Edition nor Andaz strikes me as particularly good when it comes to the Japanese breakfast options.
I didn't think the Andaz buffet selection was mind-blowing by Asian breakfast standards, and their Japanese breakfast option was pretty bad, but it was a good offering overall with the a la carte menu and what the buffet did have. It wasn't really much better than PG Kioicho which has a buffet selection that some people consider an affront to humanity for whatever reason. I honestly prefer a high quality a la carte to a buffet but from reading further back in the thread, sounds like the breakfast offering here is just okay either way, in which case I'd probably just skip breakfast or go elsewhere. Also sounds like stingy for upgrades but then again Andaz is always full these days and even if you do get upgraded you max out at deluxe tower view. Wish my rate here was also available on terrace rooms. My begging for our corporate travel team to negotiate a rate with PG Kioicho continues to fall on deaf ears.

I suppose I'll have to give it a go and decide for myself. If neither is considerably better than the other it might come down to other factors like Globalist re-qualification or what promotion the chains are running at the time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.