Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Wailea Beach Marriott Resort & Spa, Maui, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 23, 2017, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: windhund
Has an Arrival/Departure Lounge, where travelers can unwind after a long flight. Personal showers and lockers in the lounge also are available to those who need to check out of their rooms before leaving the resort.

Has an amazing view from the Adult Only Infinity Pool

Daily resort fee USD 30 plus tax will be added to rate. As of 2018, the resort fee benefits were as listed below. However, this list came from a card labeled "Resort Fees & Amenities: Elite", and it's not clear which ones are different for or apply only to elites. There's also a disclaimer: "The Resort Fee includes a variety of amenities for our guests. Please note some amenities are subject to availability."
  • Complimentary daily internet
  • Unlimited US Domestic, long distance & local phone calls
  • Outgoing domestic US fax service (up to 20 pages)
  • 15% on Laundry and Dry Cleaning Services
  • 30-minute personal photo session and package upgrade
  • Daily Fitness Classes
  • Daily Hawaiian Cultural Activities
  • 1 hour bicycle rental (2 bicycles per stay)
  • Bottled Water (2 per day)
  • Welcome shell lei greeting upon arrival
  • Courtesy rides within the Wailea Resort (upon availability)
  • Beach Chair Rental (2 per day)
  • Cabana Rentals: 10% discount on full-day cabana rentals at 'Ohi pools, Maluhia pools & NALU adventure pool. Dial 'At Your Service' for reservations
  • Mandara Spa: 10% discount on 50-minute service (excludes special promotions and events)
  • Ocean Concierge & Activities: 20% discount on weekly paddle board rental; complimentary fish identification card; complimentary introductory morning scuba lesson. Visit the 'Ohio Pools for reservations.
  • The Movie House: complimentary movie screenings. View the weekly schedule for showtimes.
  • GameSpace: complimentary access to GameSapce, featuring foosball, billiards, shuffleboard, vintage arcade and Xbox games [for those who haven't been back since the renovation, this is an indoor gaming area they added as part of the renovations. It's at the far end of the lobby opposite the Starbucks.]
  • Akamai Business Center: 20% discount on FedEx & UPS Shipping
Print Wikipost

Wailea Beach Marriott Resort & Spa, Maui, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2006, 12:37 pm

Programs: AA MARRIOTT Lifetime Plat Premier ; Marriott Vacation Club
As I mention, Marriott no longer manages the property, it simply handles reservations since the fate of the property has fallen into other hands.

It has always been a fair criticism these past few years that the Wailea Renaissance was getting a bit tired and in need of a refurbishing. The rooms will be clean, but perhaps a little dated or tired. IMO what has always defined this property is the location and the associates who are some of the finest Marriott folks we've ever encountered. Many of these folks will see this thing out to the bitter end, so I'd expect a good guest experience, especially in these final months as many associates have a long history here and many, many memories.

You will still find a grand hotel with beautifully designed public spaces which continue to speak to the elegance of the property when it opens some many years ago. It's always been a subtle, reserved, and quiet property which lets Maui speak through her. Quite a contrast to the much more modern but pretentious, noisy, and crowded feeling that one gets at the nearby Grand Waliea ( not trying to knock that property -- it's beautiful, but not my cup of tea ).

Go and enjoy. I think you will sense the loss that many of us feel. I'm strill trying to find a way to get out there for one final visit.

Barry
Old Aug 20, 2006, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Too bad .My 1st visit to Maui and Hawaii included a stay at this property at the beachfront.My wife and I have many fond memories of the sunsets.
Old Aug 21, 2006, 1:16 am

Programs: AA Plt 3MM; UA 1K 2 MM; MR Lifetime Plat; HH Lifetime Diamond; HH Diamond; IGH Spire Ambas; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by pinniped
Allegedly, the property that replaces it will be a Starwood all-villa property. At least, that's what I had heard a couple of months ago...
I had heard from a staff member at the hotel several months back that it is destined to become a St. Regis hotel. But with condos experiencing exploisive growth in Wailea, would not be surprised if villas are the outcome.
Old Aug 21, 2006, 8:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jerseyfinn
The rooms will be clean, but perhaps a little dated or tired.
In some strange sort of way, this is something I kind of liked about Ren Wailea, much the same way I kind of like older, independent lake resorts across the upper Midwest.

Specifically, I liked the fact that the place kind of feels like an earlier era - before every resort in Hawaii had to be Disneyland. It's too small for convention traffic. It lacks the amenities that would attract most tourists these days - no big water slides, no "super pool", no huge marina in front of the property, etc. Basically, its target audience is couples - and that's pretty much it.

When we were there, we took a walk down to Grand Wailea and wandered amongst the crowds just to see all the pools. It was nice, but we were so happy we chose the Renaissance, where it practically felt like we had a private pool to ourselves.

Sadly, this is probably what killed it. Whoever owns the land probably looked at the newer megaresorts in the area and decided that more profit could be made by tearing it down and rebuilding. Whether they end up going all-villa and selling ultra-high-end timeshares or just a new, modern St. Regis hotel, they will likely make a lot more money. But in doing so, a nice piece of Maui will be lost forever...
Old Aug 21, 2006, 4:20 pm

Well put; I felt the same way about a property on another island which, by today's standards (and tastes) would also be an anachonism.

The Ren Wailea's sister resort (both were properties run by Renaissance's predecessor Stouffer JHotels and Resorts), the Waiohai on Kaui had an ambiance that was very similar. It was destroyed by Hurricane Iniki in 1992 and due to insurance hassles it was never rebuilt/restored and sat, for many years, a fenced-off hulk off the beach.

When Marriott acquired Renaissance I hoped against hope that it would be restored to something akin to what it was. Instead it , it morphed into the Marriott timeshare that occupies its site.

Nothing wrong with the timeshare per se, but for anyone who ever stayed at the Waiohai it just cannot (in both my and Mrs. Rahmanbar's eyes) replace it.

The remains that are the Poipu Beach Club adjacent to the property was also a Stouffer's property but nowhere near as luxe as the Waiohai.
Old Aug 21, 2006, 9:09 pm

Programs: former UA1K, Marriott/Hilton Silver
Was just at the property last week for lunch at the Maui Onion. Drove down from Kaanapali. Had to go back for old times sake.

The place looked in great condition. We did not see the rooms but I would not worry about an upcoming stay as the public areas showed no signs of neglect. Yes, the pool is small, but the place just seems to fit what we look for in a hotel, elegant but not stuffy. Enjoy it while you can.
Old Aug 21, 2006, 9:17 pm

Programs: UA 1.5 Million Mile flyer, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz 5* and PC since 1985
We go to the Rennisance Wailea every year. My wife and I have decided that after this year it will be a long time before we go back to Maui.
We actually thought last December we would never stay at that hotel again. Little did we know.
Old Aug 21, 2006, 10:32 pm

Programs: AA, AB, AC, AD, AE, AF, AG... you get the picture
Originally Posted by capetime5
The place looked in great condition. We did not see the rooms but I would not worry about an upcoming stay as the public areas showed no signs of neglect. Yes, the pool is small, but the place just seems to fit what we look for in a hotel, elegant but not stuffy. Enjoy it while you can.
well, our stay will happen to coincide with our 2nd anniversary and our 11 month old daughter has just discovered a joy of splashing in pools... so the "elegant" hotel and the "small" pool will do just fine!
Old Aug 24, 2006, 6:17 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Marriott Gold
Glad to hear that the target audience is couples & that the resort isn't falling apart in preparation for the change. I'm going there in November with my girlfriend and want a nice, relaxing time
Old Aug 25, 2006, 3:49 pm

Programs: UA GOLD MM,WN CP A+list, HH Gold,MR LT Titanium
Anything similar elsewhere?

I absolutely loved the Ren-sorry to see it go.Does Marriott have any other properties in HI that are similar?I have been to Kauai Marriott and the Ilikai on Oahu-but neither have the same intimate feel as the Ren Wailea.

Anything similar in the Caribbean?
Old Aug 25, 2006, 5:30 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, HiltonHHonors Silver, Marriott Silver, Delta SkyMiles
Add me to the list of people who will be very sad to see it demolished. It was a beautiful property, priced right, and great for a nice romantic get away. I was saving points to return. Alas, the Marriott Wailea doesn't have the same ambience as the Ren.
Old Aug 26, 2006, 2:31 am

Programs: AA; Marriott; SPG; HH
Heading out to Maui later today and will be staying at the Renaissance. Going with a friend so I hope the 'great for couples hotel' will not make us feel out of place. Looking forward to Maui and hope it's a start of something great
Old Aug 26, 2006, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Recreation
Alas, the Marriott Wailea doesn't have the same ambience as the Ren.
IMHO,not even close.We stayed one night at the Marriott on our 2nd visit to Maui and promptly moved to the Ren.(we were fortunate that they had rooms available. ^ )
Old Sep 16, 2006, 6:06 am

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Gold
Renaissance Wailea Beach Resort

Any updates on this location. I know its going to close soon but is it worth it to stay here on points vs staying at the Marriott near buy.

Thanks in advance!!!!
Old Sep 16, 2006, 1:04 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
A search would reveal a lot of answers to threads with your exact question. That being said, I think the Renassance is well past its prime and that the Marriott is a better choice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.