Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Bangkok Marriott Marquis Queen's Park [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 23, 2017, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Melodsal
Hotel email: [email protected]
Club lounge email: [email protected]
Concierge email: [email protected]

Hat tip to: elephentravels

"For platinum members, there's a weekly management cocktail on wednesdays, drinks (wine, beer, mojito, hard liquor) and some pretty good amuse bouche provided. It seems that only a few of the platinum members will receive the "invite", but if anyone is there on wednesday nights, try your luck at the club lounge to RSVP for the event."
Print Wikipost

Bangkok Marriott Marquis Queen's Park [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2018, 2:13 am

Originally Posted by dingjie
Anyone stayed recently get to enjoy breakfast at the restaurant as part of elite benefits? I read on TripAdvisor some lifetime platinum managed to have breakfast at Goji instead of lounge. #justasking
Was just there earlier this month as PLT, breakfast at the restaurant not permitted without additional charges.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 8:22 pm

Programs: AA, DL, UA
Originally Posted by Redwoodw
Was just there earlier this month as PLT, breakfast at the restaurant not permitted without additional charges.
Any idea if the charge is the same as for GLD members? And if so, how much?

Planning about staying here versus the Ren.

It seems the Ren is older, but offers breakfast to GLD/PLT proactively in restaurant, and a slightly better location. Whereas the Marquis is newer, better rooms.

Could anyone care to comment on where to stay for a first-timer in Bangkok for 3 nights? Maybe I should just stay at both.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 9:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by supermintyfresh
Could anyone care to comment on where to stay for a first-timer in Bangkok for 3 nights? Maybe I should just stay at both.
If you're Plat, perhaps consider one of the SPG properties. SGS has the very best location in Bangkok IMO and a choice of two restaurants for breakfast.

Another relevant question is whether the Marquis is still upgrading Plats to the Marquis Suite.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by supermintyfresh
Any idea if the charge is the same as for GLD members? And if so, how much?

Planning about staying here versus the Ren.

It seems the Ren is older, but offers breakfast to GLD/PLT proactively in restaurant, and a slightly better location. Whereas the Marquis is newer, better rooms.

I don't recall the exact price but it was based on full price -20% off because I am Platinum. Gold would also get 20% off.

The breakfast spread in the lounge is pretty good and you can't beat the view from the outdoor terrace.

I would stay at Marquis, the rooms are better and over-all the lounge was really good especially in the evenings.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 9:23 pm

Programs: AA, DL, UA
Originally Posted by Kacee
If you're Plat, perhaps consider one of the SPG properties. SGS has the very best location in Bangkok IMO and a choice of two restaurants for breakfast.

Another relevant question is whether the Marquis is still upgrading Plats to the Marquis Suite.
Unfortunately a Gold, but would love to stay at the SGS. Maybe another trip after August when all of us Golds are bumped up to PLT for one year

Originally Posted by imverge
I don't recall the exact price but it was based on full price -20% off because I am Platinum. Gold would also get 20% off.

The breakfast spread in the lounge is pretty good and you can't beat the view from the outdoor terrace.

I would stay at Marquis, the rooms are better and over-all the lounge was really good especially in the evenings.
Thanks for the info! I have decided to do 1 night Ren and 2 nights Marquis, to take advantage of the different shopping areas near both.
Kacee likes this.
Old May 1, 2018, 1:13 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Kacee

If that is also known as the M Suite.....yes. I was upgraded in both January and in late March from a standard room to the M Suite.
Kacee likes this.
Old May 4, 2018, 8:10 pm

Programs: AA Platinum for Life (2MM), BR Gold, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Over many stays at this hotel I have a 100% upgrade rate, to an M Suite from whatever the cheapest available room was when I booked.

First time was shortly after they opened, most recently was April 2018.
Old May 5, 2018, 2:42 am

Programs: SQ, BA, QR, Marriott Titanium & LT Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat, AmEx Cent
I've stayed around 15 times, upgraded to M Suite most of the stays, but not always. Sometimes the hotel is very busy with airline crews or events, and there are a limited number of suites (mostly the suites are in the North Tower, the Lounge being in the South tower). They will usually try to find a suite for you, but you may only get it on your 2nd or 3rd night. Standard rooms are nice, but the suites are obviously more spacious and overall nicer. The Lounge is good, but they have subtly reduced hours of operation for drinks and food over the past 6 months - this was probably because at one point its was 4 hrs of unlimited drinks! Now I think it it is food 5.30-7.30 and drinks 5.30-8.30. "Food" is the best I've seen in a Hilton / Starwood / Marriott Lounge - it is varied each day and much more substantial than "snacks" which most Lounges tend to be. The Siam tea room in the Lobby is nice too, and the room service Thai food is amazing and reasonably cheap. The breakfast is nice in the Lounge, but I also like the "farmer's breakfast" from in-room dining!!

However...I have been to Bangkok every month for the past 3 years, staying mostly at the W, Mandarin Oriental, St Regis, and Marriott. If it was my first time in Bangkok, I think there are better and nicer locations...Mandarin if you want to splash out (you can often get 4 for 3 night deals and free breakfast registering as a Fan of MO) and you want luxury by the river, W if you want comfort in the business district, St Regis if you want a luxury feel overlooking the Sports Club and close to malls and other hotels. Note that if you want to sunbathe, the Marriot Marquis pool is shaded for large parts of the day. I wouldn't recommend the Anthanee (shocking service, smoke filled rooms), or the Sheraton Orchid (old). The Sheraton Grand is in a good position, but it's a busy hotel (slighlty dated I think) and upgrades are difficult (even with an Ambassador). The JW I have never tried, but some say it has been recebtly refreshed.

Overall, the Marriott Marquis is a solid hotel, with modern and fresh rooms, but out of them all and it being a first trip, I would probably recommend the St Regis (and for sheer luxury, Mandarin Oriental). That said, if you do stay at Marriott Marquis, I don't think you'll be disappointed, but the area outside the hotel can be a little "seedy".

Last edited by EGW1; May 5, 2018 at 2:47 am
Old May 5, 2018, 9:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the comparisons. Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old May 8, 2018, 2:49 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
A recent article about the opening of the new Penthouse Suite: Hotelintel.co

I am sure some of you will be demanding an upgrade to this accommodation

" ... the new Sky Suite covers more than 1,002 square meters over two levels 700m on the 37th floor and 302m on the 38th floor transforming the top levels of Bangkoks largest hotel into the guests own private residence.

Rates for the Sky Suite, start from THB 500,000 ++ per night."
Old May 9, 2018, 7:22 pm

Programs: AA Platinum for Life (2MM), BR Gold, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold
The Sky Suite can be observed from the rooftop bar in the other tower. Looks quite opulent indeed from what I was able to see.
Old May 20, 2018, 1:33 am

Programs: SPG
Gold Elite and was upgraded to a M Club Room on north tower (lounge side) but looks like the same room and no bath tub which was a bit disappointing. Room was very actually very well renovated especially since it was a a renovation of the former Imperial. Bathroom amenities are from Thann (which you will find in a number of Marriott Brands) which smells and lather well and I absolutely like the fact they have hand soap gel rather than bar soaps.

Executive lounge which is very very good (but slightly crowded during breakfast and dinner, i really think it will be better to either do a second lounge in the tower or open main restaurant as a breakfast option as there is over 1,360 rooms after all) is slightly different compared to other properties where you get a simple lunch (3 mains in the live station to choose from and a number of starters, salads and desserts) instead of high tea:

Breakfast 0630 to 1030 (no main restaurant option)
Light Lunch 1200 to 1400
Hor doeuvres 1730 to 1930
Open Bar 1730 to 2030
Desserts 1930 to 2130

I am slightly annoyed on the poor printing for the letter though haha

Executive lounge letter

Complimentary shuttle to The Emporium (10 minutes drive and is beside Phrom Phong BTS) from 0700 to 2100 every 30 minutes is also very helpful but apparently there is no return option? (But I may be wrong)
Old May 20, 2018, 8:27 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by dingjie

Complimentary shuttle to The Emporium (10 minutes drive and is beside Phrom Phong BTS) from 0700 to 2100 every 30 minutes is also very helpful but apparently there is no return option? (But I may be wrong)
Just to note, if you're a fast walker, you can probably be at the Emporium in about 5 minutes by going out the back door and through the park. Or a very nice leisurely 10 minute walk. Assuming you don't want to wait 15-20 mins for a shuttle. If you're wearing you wool parka and ski pants, however, you may want to take the shuttle!
Diplomatico likes this.
Old May 21, 2018, 3:21 am

Programs: marriott,spg gold,aa,alaska
Was given choice of breakfast at the Goji or the lounge at check-in, upon enquiring about the Goji invite I was told it is only for Platinium Elite guests. I have noticed that this year there has been a greater recognition for the Elite status, at check-in, allocation of suites with the superior view, and interaction with lounge staff as opposed to the last 2 years when the Elite profile was meh.

Maybe a trial run for the new Lifetime Platinium Premier Elite status
Old May 21, 2018, 6:10 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by JBord
Just to note, if you're a fast walker, you can probably be at the Emporium in about 5 minutes by going out the back door and through the park. Or a very nice leisurely 10 minute walk. Assuming you don't want to wait 15-20 mins for a shuttle. If you're wearing you wool parka and ski pants, however, you may want to take the shuttle!
IMO, you don't even need to be a "fast walker". That back entrance shortcut through the park is the way to go. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.