Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2018, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lcpteck
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.

There's a 6% Government Tax and MYR10 Tourism Tax not shown in the rate.

Hotel email addresses:

The Ritz Carlton Kuala Lumpur: [email protected]

JW Marriott Kuala Lumpur: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2019, 9:26 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat Amb, oneworld Ruby
Originally Posted by nov11
OT but which one would that be
OT but it was Chef Chew's Kitchen, No. 52, Jln 19/3, Seksyen 19 Petaling Jaya
Old Feb 10, 2019, 7:10 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
Originally Posted by HollyGlen
OT but it was Chef Chew's Kitchen, No. 52, Jln 19/3, Seksyen 19 Petaling Jaya
Thank you . That's very close to where I usually hang out in SS2
Old Feb 20, 2019, 12:39 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, IHG Spire, Hyatt Globalist , Bonvoy Titanium United Silver AA Platinum, AS Gold 75K
I thought I would comment on my recent KL trip and the hotels I stayed at:

JW Marriott w/ PP/Titanium:
PROS:
Really attentive staff, Very nice remodeled rooms, Lots of shopping and restraunts close by, Lounge has fairly nice spread for evening cocktails, Rooms well appointed, Management is mostly excellent (I'll explain in the cons why I specify "mostly")
CONS: Room upgrade wasn't offered upon check in but I did ask and it was given a JR. Suite so not too sure if this is really a con, Seems they got a new GM recently while having breakfast in shook (LG level) I saw him stroll down the escalator walk up to the hummus and other dips area and start sticking his fingers in the food and licking it off (yes he did sample several dips with the same finger as I watched on in shock) I asked one of the employees ... he was doing they laughed uncomfortably and explained he was "testing" the quality of the food. And yes people were still eating, and no they didn't change it out with new food. IDK where they got this guy but he is obviously not tried in food services and should keep his dirty paws out of the food.
~ JW is one of my favorite hotels here in KL, I would stay here again for sure but I hope this new GM is temporary ~

Majestic Hotel with PP/Titanium
PROS:
Beautiful historic property, Exquisite Orchid Conservatory thats really one of a kind, I was upgraded to the best available 1 bedroom suite without asking on check in, Extremely attentive staff, Well appointed room, Very clean, Wonderful "call to prayer music" that can be heard from the hotel from the Mosque next door.
CONS: The hotel isn't really close proximity to any shopping so they have a shuttle service to take you to the gardens mall and Bukit Bintang (Its great option to make up the difference)
~ I checked into this hotel for 4 nights and ended up staying 3 weeks so that says it all right? ~
happygolucky_nomad likes this.

Last edited by applejax; Feb 20, 2019 at 12:41 am Reason: Added hotels that didn't mach thread.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 10:02 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by applejax
I thought I would comment on my recent KL trip and the hotels I stayed at:

JW Marriott w/ PP/Titanium:
PROS:
Really attentive staff, Very nice remodeled rooms, Lots of shopping and restraunts close by, Lounge has fairly nice spread for evening cocktails, Rooms well appointed, Management is mostly excellent (I'll explain in the cons why I specify "mostly")
CONS: Room upgrade wasn't offered upon check in but I did ask and it was given a JR. Suite so not too sure if this is really a con, Seems they got a new GM recently while having breakfast in shook (LG level) I saw him stroll down the escalator walk up to the hummus and other dips area and start sticking his fingers in the food and licking it off (yes he did sample several dips with the same finger as I watched on in shock) I asked one of the employees ... he was doing they laughed uncomfortably and explained he was "testing" the quality of the food. And yes people were still eating, and no they didn't change it out with new food. IDK where they got this guy but he is obviously not tried in food services and should keep his dirty paws out of the food.
~ JW is one of my favorite hotels here in KL, I would stay here again for sure but I hope this new GM is temporary ~
I would not have hesitated to complain to the general manager himself. That's inexcusable. In the United States or Canada, a health inspector could shut them down for this.

For what it's worth, the J.W. Marriott, Ritz-Carlton and The Majestic, Autograph Collection are managed by Malaysia-based YTL Hotels. I believe the Ritz-Carlon, Kuala Lumpur is one of only two properties in the brand not managed by Marriott International.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 7:42 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, IHG Spire, Hyatt Globalist , Bonvoy Titanium United Silver AA Platinum, AS Gold 75K
Hockeyinsider, I'm not sure confronting him would have been a great situation but my point was this GM is obviously a newbie. I'm guessing possibly nepotism or maybe he lied on his resume. The JWM use to be managed by Mahmoud Skaf, who was excellent. They recently promoted Mr. Skaf to district manager of JWM, RC and the two Autograph hotels.

Last edited by applejax; Dec 9, 2020 at 3:15 am
Old Feb 21, 2019, 6:28 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Hockeyinsider, I'm not sure confronting him would have been a great situation but my point was this GM is obviously a newbie. I'm guessing possibly nepotism or maybe he lied on his resume. The JWM use to be managed by Mahmoud Skaf, who was excellent. They recently promoted Mr. Skaf to district manager of JWM, RC and the two Autograph hotels.
When I stayed in September 2017 the property's general manager for YTL was white, in his 50s and American. He oversaw both the Ritz-Carlton and the J.W. Marriott.

I'll see if I still have his card.
applejax likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 6:43 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
That's absolutely shocking. I would write an email about this to both Marriott corporate and the old GM who presumably is now this guy's boss.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by helvetic
That's absolutely shocking. I would write an email about this to both Marriott corporate and the old GM who presumably is now this guy's boss.
Maybe I should leave my experiences dealing with Mr. Marriotts office for another thread but lets just say I really don't think contacting them would do anything for me. personally I try to keep my complaints to only things that directly affect me ie: Hotels not honoring your status, CS failures, Room issues. Typically, and from my own experience complaing to the hotel directly is usually your best defense. In this scenario I really don't see a winning outcome for me, they might even give me some sort of bad mark on my profile and this is one of my favorite hotels. I know the situation is outrageous and thats why I posted it here. To give you savvy travelers some insight to what I witnessed and this whats so great about Flyertalk. It's nice to share the experience and know that you all can commiserate with me.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 7:05 pm
Suspended

Maybe I should leave my experiences dealing with Mr. Marriotts office for another thread but lets just say I really don't think contacting them would do anything for me. personally I try to keep my complaints to only things that directly affect me ie: Hotels not honoring your status, CS failures, Room issues. Typically, and from my own experience complaing to the hotel directly is usually your best defense. In this scenario I really don't see a winning outcome for me, they might even give me some sort of bad mark on my profile and this is one of my favorite hotels. I know the situation is outrageous and thats why I posted it here. To give you savvy travelers some insight to what I witnessed and this whats so great about Flyertalk. It's nice to share the experience and know that you all can commiserate with me.
You could always send an anonymous email to Marriott, but seeing this is a YTL-managed property you could contact YTL. YTL is one of the better hotel owners and third-party operators.
applejax likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 9:58 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Unobtainium, Delta Diamond
If the price were similar between the JW Marriott and the Westin across the street... which would you prefer?

What kind of recognition for Titanium Bonvoy?

The prices for later this month are about $12 per night higher at the JW Marriott. Inconsequential, right?

This is my first trip to Kuala Lumpur. Thanks!
Old Mar 3, 2019, 10:22 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat Amb, oneworld Ruby
Originally Posted by Pocatello
If the price were similar between the JW Marriott and the Westin across the street... which would you prefer?

The prices for later this month are about $12 per night higher at the JW Marriott. Inconsequential, right?

JW for sure. The recent renovations mean it is a good class above the Westin, which is looking rather tired. The hard product is quite impressive for a non-luxury tier property.

Titaniums will get lounge access and upgrades where available (I didn't on my recent stay as it was a weekday).

Have fun in KL, and please drop me a PM if you need any tips.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 2:46 am

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum
I stayed at JW December 2016. Does breakfast benefit still provide breakfast in the restaurant vs in the lounge? I remember that being very good although crazy busy. I was Platinum Premier during my last stay, but was not upgraded... I had a very low corporate rate though.. maybe that had something to do with it? I was in the remodeled tower though and standard king room was more than adequate.

Don't forget the added benefit of the kind ladies standing outside the main entrance offering to come to your room for massage
Old Mar 4, 2019, 5:51 am
Suspended

J.W. Marriott. Hands down.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 6:45 am

Originally Posted by bigshooter
I stayed at JW December 2016. Does breakfast benefit still provide breakfast in the restaurant vs in the lounge? I remember that being very good although crazy busy. I was Platinum Premier during my last stay, but was not upgraded... I had a very low corporate rate though.. maybe that had something to do with it? I was in the remodeled tower though and standard king room was more than adequate.

Don't forget the added benefit of the kind ladies standing outside the main entrance offering to come to your room for massage
When I went in December I was told that breakfast in the restaurant was no longer provided free for plats but since I had stayed with them previously, they would honor it again. I’m not sure if it’s ongoing or just for that one time.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 6:45 am

Programs: hh Diamond,Marriott plat, ihg spire

I prefer the Westin. Have stayed at both numerous times. At the JW in my more than 10 stays, never a suite upgrade though the rooms are looking newer than the Westin.

However for the Westin my upgrade rate to either a residence suite or a suite is probably 3/4 stays. I also much prefer the layout of the lounge in Westin with natural lighting and the offerings. Downside is the rooms at the Westin are in need of refurbishment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.