Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Dusseldorf Airport Hotel DUS, Germany [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Dusseldorf Airport Hotel DUS, Germany [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2015, 3:35 am

Programs: LH SEN, BA Silver, HH SILVER, Bonvoy PLAT, A/club PLAT, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by chad75
upgrade the beer to a real one,
This could be an idea for a new thread: "The most funniest upgrades on earth"
Old Jan 5, 2015, 7:49 am

Programs: Mattiott Lifetime Titanium Elite, LH SEN, IB Emerald, Hilton Diamond
Will be there on Sunday - so, will give it a try
Anyone else there?
Old Jan 5, 2015, 8:24 am

Programs: Marriott Plat., HHonors gold, IHG Plat., Accor gold, IC Amb, Hertz #1 club, Sixt plat.
Originally Posted by chad75
Also at checkin a near crisis was averted - I'm still learning my way around the addition amenity and chose the one with the beer and chips. The check in lady kindly said she would upgrade the beer to a real one, I had no idea the one contained in the amenity was non-alcoholic!
It's always non alcoholic... just change it with the "real" one in the minibar
Old Jan 8, 2015, 12:11 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

I stayed in the Sheraton last night and can give a quick update

Rooms
The new rooms are in the part with the 300er numbers, i.e. closer to the restaurant and also to the lounge. As written in an earlier post, the rooms are nice though a bit darker and I think also a bit narrower than before as the new bed is more massive than the old one. But I think this is only a minor detail. There could be also more plugs at the desk, but it was okay for me (and could load laptop and blackberry with one adapter).

Platinum Recognition
You still can choose from the different amenities during check in.

However, and this is new, the full american breakfast in restaurnat Otto is no longer free for platinums. If you want to have it, it would be 9.50 EUR (might be not correct but in every case below 10 EUR). Breakfast in the restaurant still starts at 05:00 am while the lounge does not open before 07:00. For me, this is a down (I am usually an early bird and starting the day at 05:00 with a full breakfast was one of the benefits).

The lounge is in the former Tölzer Stube, i.e. on the right hand side after you enter restaurant Otto. It is small with a number of tables and chairs. One computer terminal with a printer (which encountered some technical problems yesterday evening) is close to the entrance in a corner and you are more or less not disturbed there. It was occupied, so I tried to be not too invasive and did not take a picture of it.

The buffet consists of salads pre-filled in small glasses and two snacks (some sort of chicken wings and meat filled pastry), fruits and some sort of vanille creme. One red wine (Austrian) and a white one (Italian), beer was available in the fridge along with juices and water. I missed bitter lemon, ginger ale and a wider selection of soft drinks. The nice thing, the buffet is available till 21:30.

Round about every ten to fifteen minutes some one from the restaurant staff was checking the lounge and restocking buffet or clearing used dishes.

I checked out at 05:45 and therefore was not able to report on the breakfast selection in the lounge.

Lounge view towards buffet from entrance

Lounge, view from buffet to the entrance

Buffet in Lounge, selection of cold and warm dishes

Coffee Machine in Lounge

As a sidenote, I was able to talk to one of the member of staff. They have on average around 12 - 15 Platinums a day, but most guest check in late. In so far, it seems the size seems okay as I doubt that many guests will book a club room for the only purpose to have lounge access. But I might be wrong.

To sum it up:
  • Platinums can choose for amenities (like before)
  • Lounge serves food till 21:30
  • Breakfast now part of lounge benefit, therefore no longer breakfast in Restaurant Otto included
  • Breakfast in Restaurant available for a surcharge of 9.50 EUR (or 8.90 EUR, not 100% sure)
Old Jan 8, 2015, 1:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by FLYGVA
As a sidenote, I was able to talk to one of the member of staff. They have on average around 12 - 15 Platinums a day, but most guest check in late. In so far, it seems the size seems okay as I doubt that many guests will book a club room for the only purpose to have lounge access. But I might be wrong.
Thanks for the report and I agree that the breakfast hours don't sound good, especially for an airport hotel. But again probably most of us would be flying out in the morning and can eat in the airport lounge or on the plane.

As for the numbers in the lounge, you'd be surprised how many people book club rooms simply because their work policy allows them to. It's not just Platinum members who will be in there.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 2:03 am

Originally Posted by stimpy
Thanks for the report and I agree that the breakfast hours don't sound good, especially for an airport hotel. But again probably most of us would be flying out in the morning and can eat in the airport lounge or on the plane.

As for the numbers in the lounge, you'd be surprised how many people book club rooms simply because their work policy allows them to. It's not just Platinum members who will be in there.
Well, I take every hotel breakfast over food in an airport lounge or plane, but that might just me. I think you have a valid point there ...

I am aware of these kind of policies. What I wanted to say and this is not really clear from what I have written, that even then lounge seems okay, as I do not think, that even if you book club while you can, you arrive earlier only with the intention to stay (life) in the lounge taking into account that this is an airpot hotel. But I might be wrong in so far as well ...
Old Jan 8, 2015, 6:02 am

Programs: Marriott Plat., HHonors gold, IHG Plat., Accor gold, IC Amb, Hertz #1 club, Sixt plat.
Originally Posted by FLYGVA
I stayed in the Sheraton last night and can give a quick update
^ Thanks a lot for the report, looking forward to "experience" it in Feb.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 4:14 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
No more breakfast at Otto was exactly what I was afraid off when this thread mentioned a lounge.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by seawolf
No more breakfast at Otto was exactly what I was afraid off when this thread mentioned a lounge.
And bf starting at 7am is just too late for an airport hotel.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 11:48 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by Andie007
Sounds like this should be raised as in issue to SPG corporate that hotel is not providing the Platinum breakfast benefit. Not sure what the norm in Europe is but in the US, it should be at least 6AM.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 12:25 pm

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by seawolf
Sounds like this should be raised as in issue to SPG corporate that hotel is not providing the Platinum breakfast benefit. Not sure what the norm in Europe is but in the US, it should be at least 6AM.
6:30 is the norm in Germany, 5am as offered in the restaurant is exceptionally early also for airport-hotels here... I probably have a stay there next week, so I will discuss this with my contact at the hotel.

Greetings - Dirk
Old Jan 9, 2015, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by djohannw
6:30 is the norm in Germany, 5am as offered in the restaurant is exceptionally early also for airport-hotels here... I probably have a stay there next week, so I will discuss this with my contact at the hotel.

Greetings - Dirk
I told them, that I am also not happy about the breakfast time. Maybe it helps if you (and others) sing from the same hymn sheet ...
Old Jan 9, 2015, 2:45 pm

Programs: LH SEN, BA Silver, HH SILVER, Bonvoy PLAT, A/club PLAT, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Andie007
+ 2 (my colleague and me)
Old Jan 15, 2015, 4:34 am

Breakfast starts at 6:30am.
Pretty nice lounge w/ solid breakfast.

Old Mar 7, 2015, 4:39 pm
Original Member

Currently at hotel. Not much to add to FLYGVA's post other than bathroom did not go thru renovation. Bed does appear bigger because these appear to be real King size vs Queen size or two singles combined as one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.