Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Whistler Resort & Spa, B.C. Canada 2006 on [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2006, 11:35 am
isi
Original Poster

Just heard on the CBC that Starwood may be negotiating to buy Whistler Blackcomb from Intrawest.

If this were to go through would I be able to buy lift tickets with my starpoints? Special Platinum priority access to the front of the life line?

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Jul 23, 2009 at 10:34 am Reason: Earleir reports can be found at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-preferred-guest/978058-westin-whister-resort-spa-whis
Old Apr 27, 2006, 11:51 am

Programs: 1K (I know, my screen name is outdated), Marriott Plat, *Wood Plat, Five Star, Amex Plat
Starwood Capital is rumored to be kicking Intrawest's tires along with KKR. Starwood Capital is the finance company run by Barry Sternlicht.
Old Apr 27, 2006, 12:25 pm

Barry is very tight with Starwood. He is a member of Intrawest's private club at Stratton, VT. Personally, I think that Barry might be looking at an outright purchase. Whistler is Intrawest's gem. However, the base area is fully developed so I'm not certain what Starwood would bring to the table. They already have a Westin there.
Old Apr 27, 2006, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by TTT103
However, the base area is fully developed so I'm not certain what Starwood would bring to the table. They already have a Westin there.
Might be looking for some publicity and revenue leading up to the 2010 Olympics. And Sternlicht could always add a W to the mix in Whistler
Old May 8, 2006, 10:32 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines MVP, Fairmont FPC Platinum, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold
*wood is looking very closely at buying Intrawest (publc co) which includes developments such as Whistler / Blackcomb and the soon to be built Huna Kai in Maui as well as other locations around the world.
Old May 9, 2006, 4:46 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Starwood and Intrawest already have several ventures together. As an avid skier, I'd love to see Starwood invest more in Intrawest.

Intrawest mountain destinations:
Blue Mountain, ON (home to Westin Trillium House)
CMH Heli-Ski/Hike, BC
Copper, CO
Mammoth, CA (future home of Westin Monache in 2007?)
Mountain Creek, NJ
Panorama Mountain Village, BC
Snowshoe Mountain, WV
Stratton, VT
The Village at Squaw Valley, CA
Tremblant, QC (home to Westin Mont Tremblant)
Whistler Blackcomb, BC (home to Westin Whistler)
Winter Park, CO

With as much concentration as it already has in golf-oriented resorts, Starwood certainly may be attracted to the many North American golf resorts managed by Intrawest.

I would think that MonteLago Resort at Lake Las Vegas would be of great interest to them, too. This is a beautiful resort neighboring the Ritz Carlton and Vegas' only Hyatt property (until the new Hyatt opens in 2008 next to the Aladdin and Bellagio.)
Old Jul 20, 2006, 2:58 pm

I've read through this entire thread. Am considering a Feb '07 stay for the week BEFORE Presidents' Day on points or an SPG50. Wish the Flights & Points awards or Cash & Points for '07 could be booked now, since this hotel is a great deal on either of those.

Has there been any improvement over the past ski season or is the downward trend continuing?

We've never been to Whistler before (we usually ski Killington and have been to Vail & Park City out west, both of which we love for very different reasons), and don't want to blow a whole lot of points if we can just go up to our ski house in Vermont and ski on our season passes and be generally happier. I know it's Vermont which isn't all that great, but there's something to be said for free. We might also go back to Park City or Vail instead.
Old Jul 20, 2006, 3:22 pm
In Memoriam, Original Member

I was there for 5 days about 2 weeks ago. Do you have specific questions?
Old Jul 20, 2006, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by auh2o
I was there for 5 days about 2 weeks ago. Do you have specific questions?
(1) Size of rooms. We are only 2 people per room. Are the complaints about small size from people who are trying to cram more than 2 in the "junior suite"?

(2) Service for price level. Resort fees don't really bug me, and I know it's a points stay, but I want to make sure I feel like I'm getting my 10K's worth. On my last award stay at the Westin Copley, I really didn't feel like I was.

(3) We're SPG Gold (both us and the other couple we're going with). Will this make any difference?

(4) Has there been any increase to hot tub size? I know this is a crazy, out-there question... but it's important to us when we ski!

(5) Do all rooms have fireplaces? I seem to recall reading somewhere that they do, but reports here seem to suggest otherwise.

(6) Intangibles that separate a good hotel from a great one.

Thanks in advance!
Old Jul 20, 2006, 3:50 pm
In Memoriam, Original Member

#1. I was in a Junior Suite with the S.O. The suite size was fine for 2 and it had a regular fridge, a stove and a dishwasher in it. I would not put 4 in the room though.

#2. I thought the service was fine. However, I just used the bell desk and the beer service at the pool. I did not eat in the hotel and I did not have to deal with the front desk as we had our own check in group.

#3. I am not Gold.

#4. There were 2 hot tubs. 1 inside and 1 outside. They probably hold only 8-10 people. I thought the pool area was too small in general. Also, the common pool and hot tub is same as the spa facalities. There is no seperate facilities in the spa which caused me not to use it.

#5. My room had a fireplace and a small balcony.

#6. It is a Westin. Don't expect the St. Regis Aspen by any means. It is a 3 star hotel.
Old Jul 20, 2006, 4:45 pm

kersie

The hotel is in a great location in regards to accessing the slopes and the Whistler Gondola. I have stayed here many times on awards and love the location. My perspective is from a skiing standpoint and I come to Whistler for the skiing and not the room. You could put me in a trailer and as long as the snow is good, then I'm one happy camper. And this past ski season, I was really, really happy!

Having said that, the biggest complaint I have about the Westin Whistler is the hot tubs. Too few, too small. Who ever designed this aspect of the hotel had a major lapse of judgment IMO. In any event, I think the junior suites are fine for 2 people. As a Gold I was offered the opportunity at check-in to upgrade to mtn view one bdrm suite when staying on points. It was CDN 60 IIRC.

The ski valets are great and the staff is friendly, especially the car valets. (If you have a car but not necessary for Whistler.)

Last edited by toadman; Jul 20, 2006 at 4:52 pm
Old Jul 20, 2006, 6:50 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
All the previous points are a good description of the Westin. What cannot be over-stated is the great location this hotel has next to the lifts, and what a nice village Whistler is for apres-ski. Really the best in North America as a combination of ski quality and evening activities. Plus the Bearfoot Bistro has genuine gourmet food in ski-sized portions (not huge, but triple the size of other gourmet restaurants). The location makes the Westin competitive with the FS (even though it doesn't come close in terms of building and service).
Old Jul 21, 2006, 1:14 pm

Thanks for the comments. I didn't have a second thought about booking this property until I did a search for this thread and saw the downward turn in the comments since 2003. We know it's just a hotel and the skiing is the thing, but we want to make sure it's a worthwhile endeavor. I am now reconvinced that it is, so hopefully we'll be in Whistler at the Westin this Feb!
Old Jul 21, 2006, 4:14 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Accor Diamond, National Emerald Club Exec Elite
I've stayed at this property a number of times and love it. I am now a Plat, but even when I was a Gold I was always offered a free upgrade to a one bedroom suite. All rooms have fireplaces.

The only problem I've run into at this property is getting 4pm checkout. It is a resort, so they don't have to give it to you when they are full, but I've been there when it was half empty and had to fight for it. That hasn't happened recently though, so maybe it is something they've improved upon.
Old Jul 23, 2006, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
kersie: as a Vermonter and someone with enough points, you owe yourself a trip to Whistler. From the drive up from YVR to riding down the mountains, Whistler is an incredible and special place.

I average 2 stays at Westin Whistler a year, and think of it as one of the better Westin hotels in terms of service, location and quality rooms.

I'm sorry to other posters, but if the size of the hottub is going to ruin your trip, Whistler's positive vibe won't miss you! (Yes, it should be bigger but the overall experience more than makes up for it.)

The week kersie is looking at is prime season, so chances of upgrades to 1 beds are slim, but not impossible. When I was gold they upgraded me to a studio loft, which I really liked as much as the 1 beds.

I like that they are now giving all guests bottles of water as part of the resort fee. Be sure to take advantage of the ski valet at the bast of Whistler as part of your fee too!

In addition to the great restaurants, Whistler has great food at the "Grocery Store" and your room will have everything you need to cook basic meals (microwave, refridg, stove top, dishwasher & utensils.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.