Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Whistler Resort & Spa, B.C. Canada 2006 on [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Whistler Resort & Spa, B.C. Canada 2006 on [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2008, 10:59 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by SEA-Flyer
I'm trying to book an award stay, and I've been told that Loft suites aren't available at this property using points, only the following:

Junior Suite (SPG4)
Junior Suite w/ Mountain View (SPG4S)
1BR Suite (SPG4SU)

Is this correct? I'd really like to book the Loft Suite (SPG4SS)
The property has not extended the sell-date for SPG4SS. I have no idea if this is by design or merely an oversight; however, since this is a franchise property, they can remove or add upgraded award availability at their discretion.

I've asked the SPG hotel coordinators to contact them in order to see if they intend to extend the sell date. When I have an answer, I'll be glad to come back and update this thread.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Feb 18, 2008, 8:34 am
SLF

Programs: Various
2008 resort fee benefit change

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but the daily free bottled water is a thing of the past. Excuse is that the hotel is trying to be greener, and are concerned about the impact of all those plastic bottles in land-fills. (Strangely, the blue recycle bins in each room are only for paper, it seems they can't handle plastic bottles yet). Still at $20/day, so this would seem a net increase, but they've added a tent right by the shop next to the Whistler gondola where you can drop your skis with the valet - meaning you can ski to within 20' the ski valet (Not that the walk back to the Westin is long at all, but it's nice being able to shed the skis immediately you get off the snow!)
Old Feb 18, 2008, 8:39 am
SLF

Originally Posted by onedog
Thanks for the heads up on the Westin Shuttle. We're definitely leaning towards not renting a car at YVR. When I add up the cost of the car and parking at the Westin, gas, etc., much more cost effective to take a bus to the mountain from YVR. It seems like there is no problem getting around the village, especially with the shuttle available.
I disagree - I rent a car one-way each way; you certainly don't need a car during your stay at the Westin but I find both the convenience and economics (for multiple people) make it sensible to do a one-way rental. Luckily my Avis AWD gives me free one-ways , and it's only a 10 minute stroll back thru the village from Cascade Lodge (the Avis location) to the Westin - obviously you'd drive up to the Westin and dump your bags first! Before losing the car, you might want to drive to the IGA and do a grocery shop to save carrying bags back by hand.

I'm sure the Sea-to-Sky hwy does get closed at times, but there's too much $$ at stake for Whistler to have it closed for a lengthy time; even the landslip last year near the ferry terminal was attended to on the same day. Avis told me that their vehicles have "all weather" tires and that they don't issue snow chains, but the implication was that these aren't really needed most of the time.

Last edited by SLF; Feb 18, 2008 at 9:02 am
Old Feb 18, 2008, 9:25 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Originally Posted by SLF
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but the daily free bottled water is a thing of the past. Excuse is that the hotel is trying to be greener, and are concerned about the impact of all those plastic bottles in land-fills. (Strangely, the blue recycle bins in each room are only for paper, it seems they can't handle plastic bottles yet). Still at $20/day, so this would seem a net increase, but they've added a tent right by the shop next to the Whistler gondola where you can drop your skis with the valet - meaning you can ski to within 20' the ski valet (Not that the walk back to the Westin is long at all, but it's nice being able to shed the skis immediately you get off the snow!)
They had this when we were there last year. It was the most redeeming quality of the steep resort fee. IIRC, this is the main (or only?) reason that the winter resort fee is priced higher than the summer resort fee.

I'm okay with no bottled water at this property. At least you can wash your own glasses well in these rooms with dishwashers. ^ But they should decrease the resort fee if they're cutting out what it includes without adding anything else.

Reminder: This property's category will go up on March 4! Awards can be booked now for NEXT WINTER, too, at the current award prices!
Old Feb 18, 2008, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by SLF
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but the daily free bottled water is a thing of the past. Excuse is that the hotel is trying to be greener, and are concerned about the impact of all those plastic bottles in land-fills.
sad news from one of my all-time favorite SPG properties. Air is thin up there and folks lose a lot of liquid boarding/skiing... ya need to drink lots of water! @:-)

Have they removed bottled water from the mini-bar?
Old Feb 18, 2008, 5:47 pm
SLF

Originally Posted by sc flier
They had this when we were there last year.
The tent was definitely not around when we were here at this time last year (I'm sure we'd have noticed it in our 10-day stay!)
Originally Posted by sc flier
Reminder: This property's category will go up on March 4! Awards can be booked now for NEXT WINTER, too, at the current award prices!
Thanks

Originally Posted by nroscoe
Have they removed bottled water from the mini-bar?
There's a litre bottle of Aquafina at C$5.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 8:52 am
SLF

Originally Posted by ac/elite
The Westin has a free shuttle (SUV) that will take you anywhere you want. They offer that as an included benefit of the resort fee. There are some good restaurants that aren't in the village and I regularly use the shuttle for that purpose when staying at the Westin. If you take the Greyhound, you can call the shuttle to pick you up at the drop-off location and don't have to walk it with the kids.
What is the tipping custom for use of the shuttle? Not being a native of North America, this is one area which is a challenge for me!
Old Feb 27, 2008, 8:57 am
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Originally Posted by SLF
What is the tipping custom for use of the shuttle? Not being a native of North America, this is one area which is a challenge for me!
Usually $1 CD per person per trip unless you have a lot of luggage that they're helping you with. If you're taking the shuttle several times a day you can wait until the trip back if you prefer.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 11:42 pm

Programs: Former DL DM and UA 1k, now a J class free agent (UA Gold, AS MVP Gold)
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
The property has not extended the sell-date for SPG4SS. I have no idea if this is by design or merely an oversight; however, since this is a franchise property, they can remove or add upgraded award availability at their discretion.

I've asked the SPG hotel coordinators to contact them in order to see if they intend to extend the sell date.
Did you ever hear an answer back on this ^or? Or still waiting?

Thanks.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 11:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
The tent was there when we stayed 3 years ago. And yes, it was a nice benefit.

I love this hotel, the location can't be beat. $299 is probably competitive, but it is simply too rich for many of us skiers, given the alternatives. I think we got a priceline room for $135 at the Summit a few years ago and the room was quite satisfactory. The Westin was also a good value at 10k points/night, but that rate has changed as well.

As noted above, a car isn't necessary, we didn't use it except to drive to/from YVR. However, given the shuttle rates, you may find it cheaper to rent a car if you have a group of 2+ vs. the roundtrip shuttle rates, particularly for shorter trips (fewer days of parking).
Old Feb 28, 2008, 1:54 am
SLF

Originally Posted by ldsant
Usually $1 CD per person per trip unless you have a lot of luggage that they're helping you with. If you're taking the shuttle several times a day you can wait until the trip back if you prefer.
Thanks. Sounds like I judged it OK then

Originally Posted by Boraxo
I love this hotel, the location can't be beat.
Actually the Hilton is in a slightly better location (closer to shops/restaurant and directly opposite the gondolas); they offer free wired Internet to all their elites and the rooms in general are more modern than the Westin with a full-size fridge and ceramic hob style cook surface (instead of the Westin's old style rings).

The only thing missing from our Hilton room which the Westin has was a proper oven. The Hilton ski valet is less convenient than the Westin tent - you have to carry them downstairs but if all other things were equal (which in my case they're not!) I'd choose the Hilton over the Westin.

Last edited by SLF; Feb 28, 2008 at 11:35 pm
Old Mar 6, 2008, 8:42 am

As I'm staying, on reward points, at this property next week what might I expect as a plt level
  • Concierge Room?
  • Breakfast
  • Room Upgrade?
  • Bottled water?

From any other plt who have recently stayed at this property. I realize room upgrade is primarily driven by availability but what was your success. If no concierge lounge, what about breakfast vouchers? I've also recently read that they no longer have complementary bottled water in the rooms, is this also true?

Thanks
Old Mar 6, 2008, 9:18 am

Programs: Former DL DM and UA 1k, now a J class free agent (UA Gold, AS MVP Gold)
Originally Posted by Yeldarb
As I'm staying, on reward points, at this property next week what might I expect as a plt level
  • Concierge Room?
  • Breakfast
  • Room Upgrade?
  • Bottled water?

From any other plt who have recently stayed at this property. I realize room upgrade is primarily driven by availability but what was your success. If no concierge lounge, what about breakfast vouchers? I've also recently read that they no longer have complementary bottled water in the rooms, is this also true?

Thanks
I just checked in yesterday on a 5 night stay using points. I'm only a gold, not a plat, so while I can't speak to the plat benefits, I was upgraded from a Junior Suite with a view to a Loft Suite with a view, which is definitely a nice upgrade. ^
Old May 23, 2008, 5:11 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Am staying here this weekend using my 50% off Platinum gift from earlier this year. Room is a 1 BR suite. Hotel lobby is lovely as was the check-in person. No amenities/special treatment for Platinums except for the 500 points that I selected. No bottled water, no internet/telephone access without charge.

Parking is $28 valet; $24 self. Will report more as the weekend continues.

BTW - the drive from Seattle to Whistler was really brutal with all of the construction. Took 6 hours (2 from SEA-Vancouver and then 4 from Vancouver to Whistler). Just a heads-up for folks.
Old May 23, 2008, 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by ldsant
BTW - the drive from Seattle to Whistler was really brutal with all of the construction. Took 6 hours (2 from SEA-Vancouver and then 4 from Vancouver to Whistler). Just a heads-up for folks.
Actually, that's way better than I would have expected for this weekend.

My three Seattle -Whistler trips this year all took 5.5 hours.

My Seattle-Vancouver trip last year on Memorial Day took 6.5 hours.

Definitely looking forward to all the construction being done.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.