Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Whistler Resort & Spa, B.C. Canada 2006 on [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Whistler Resort & Spa, B.C. Canada 2006 on [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2009, 10:26 pm

Programs: Former DL DM and UA 1k, now a J class free agent (UA Gold, AS MVP Gold)
Originally Posted by smat
Any recent stays at Westin Whistler? I'm going to be in Vancouver area second weekend in June and am considering a stay in Whistler. Am not sure whether I will be disappointed with this hotel.

The rates are verging on $300 CAD at the Westin vs. The Fairmont at $181 CAD.

Any thoughts?
At those rates, take the Fairmont. The Westin is closer to the village, but at that time of the year, it should be a pleasant enough walk from the Fairmont to go to dinner in the village, etc. The Fairmont is a nicer hotel.

Saving $120CAD/night to walk a couple additional minutes and stay in a nicer place? That's a very easy decision.
Old May 12, 2009, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Any recent stays at Westin Whistler? I'm going to be in Vancouver area second weekend in June and am considering a stay in Whistler. Am not sure whether I will be disappointed with this hotel.

Any thoughts?
Go with the Fairmont. The rooms are superb, and you won't miss out on a few SPG points. Location wise they are equivalent.
Old May 12, 2009, 11:44 pm

Programs: AA Plat; Hyatt Diamond

Any thoughts?
Was just there last week and upgraded to a one-bedroom. Would have prefered an open studio plan, and with only 14% occupancy quite dissapointed in the "upgrade". Maybe I should shut up - my rate was only CAD$149.

Last edited by vegasflyer; May 12, 2009 at 11:46 pm Reason: screwed up
Old May 14, 2009, 10:08 am

Programs: On Sabbatical, BA Bronze

Any thoughts?
If you're ok with hotel staff waltzing into your suite without knocking, then feel free to stay at the Fairmont.

They've done this to me twice; on two separate stays.

This is rule #1 for me personally. Yes, I could have thrown the "safety latch" but both times it was while I was in my room only briefly.

You should have seen the look on the manager's face when I asked him to "go outside and try again please."
Old May 14, 2009, 12:19 pm

Programs: AC Elite, SPG Plat
I stayed last week at the Fairmont Whistler for the first time (attending a conference) and was very impressed with the hotel and the staff. It is a true luxury hotel and although it is a 5-8 minute walk to the main village it is not a big deal. I like the Westin Whistler and it is a great hotel, but not for $120 more unless you need/want a kitchenette.

Any thoughts?
Old Jun 15, 2009, 2:47 pm

Programs: UAL 1K (1.6 Million Miles), Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold
Whistler Westin

Just back from Whistler.....turns out I waited too late to book the Fairmont (for a decent price), and the Westin had a big Conference so the rates were high. I ended up at the Four Seasons, and wasn't all that impressed.

Drove by the Westin and wished I'd stayed there....closer to all the action, and right next to the only Gondola open to go up the Mountain (the other gondola at Blackcomb will open later in June).

Will definitely be back.....Whistler was gorgeous, and spot checking some rates for mid July the mid-week rates at Westin are 135 CAD!
Old Jun 15, 2009, 5:17 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Just back from Whistler.....turns out I waited too late to book the Fairmont (for a decent price), and the Westin had a big Conference so the rates were high. I ended up at the Four Seasons, and wasn't all that impressed.

. . .
Gosh - if you weren't impressed with the Four Seasons then you will be highly disappointed with the Westin. During this last spring I stayed again at the Westin Whistler but spent a day at the Four Seasons (because of their amazing pool and spa). LOVED the service at the Four Seasons - definitely wonderful and pampering. However; I just had lunch, spa, pool there and didn't stay overnight.
Old Jun 20, 2009, 6:44 pm

Programs: UA 2MM Lifetime Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I am thinking of going to Whistler for a couple free weekend nights the end of July. I went back and read the posts for the last year, but am not really sure what to expect?

I am Plat and when taking my wife I do want great treatment, i.e. upgrade, etc. By myself I don't care, so as a % how do they treat their Plats? From what I read it seems YMMV significantly. Is the end of July different than during ski reason? I would think it would be, but I know Whistler is popular in all seasons.

I have spent a lot of time in YVR over the years and never up to Whistler, but after reading this thread was thinking about just staying at the Westin on Robson rather than go up to Whistler.

Comments/thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks
Old Jul 23, 2009, 10:02 am

Programs: Avis CHM, Hertz Plat, National EE, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Le Club Plat, CX Gold
Any recent experience here? Have 2 free Q2 promo nights coming up at the end of July.
Old Jul 23, 2009, 11:21 am

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
The Westin is located right adjacent to the Gondola that will bring you up to the peak. When we were there last summer, it was beautiful. He is a shot from the top.

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/image...7800d110.L.jpg
Old Jul 23, 2009, 11:32 am

Programs: ex AC SE100K now 75k :-( / Bonvoy Titanium / All Accor Gold/ Avis Presidents Club / National EE
IMO this hotel needs a bit of a spruce up... although not bad... it is not up to the standards of some westin properties. I usually make it my home base in whistler because it is convenient and the staff is great BUT I assume this property takes a lot of abuse from people packing in like sardines for ski weekends etc...
Old Jul 23, 2009, 11:40 am

Programs: AC Elite, SPG Plat
They have just begun a total makeover of the hotel rooms. It should be completed by the end of the year, but you should be able to request a renovated room now.

I really like the loft rooms, but they maybe warm during the summer.

Originally Posted by yvrnycracer
IMO this hotel needs a bit of a spruce up... although not bad... it is not up to the standards of some westin properties. I usually make it my home base in whistler because it is convenient and the staff is great BUT I assume this property takes a lot of abuse from people packing in like sardines for ski weekends etc...
Old Jul 23, 2009, 12:25 pm

Programs: ex AC SE100K now 75k :-( / Bonvoy Titanium / All Accor Gold/ Avis Presidents Club / National EE
Originally Posted by jnswinnipeg
They have just begun a total makeover of the hotel rooms. It should be completed by the end of the year, but you should be able to request a renovated room now.

I really like the loft rooms, but they maybe warm during the summer.
Loft rooms are definitely nice and airy...
Old Aug 23, 2009, 8:23 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Checked in a few hours ago. In a 1 bedroom renovated room. It does have a nice small kitchen. The bedroom has queen bed in it and is pretty small. The bathroom is outside the room and near the door. There is a small patio with two chairs. I'm in the east tower, so a view of the gondola and people coming down with their mountain bikes. Decent property so far.
Old Aug 23, 2009, 9:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by chanp
Checked in a few hours ago. In a 1 bedroom renovated room. It does have a nice small kitchen. The bedroom has queen bed in it and is pretty small. The bathroom is outside the room and near the door. There is a small patio with two chairs. I'm in the east tower, so a view of the gondola and people coming down with their mountain bikes. Decent property so far.
Have a great time! I was there two weeks ago for one night before checking into a townhouse for two weeks. Whistler is just the greatest . . . (sigh)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.