Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Whistler Resort & Spa, B.C. Canada 2006 on [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Whistler Resort & Spa, B.C. Canada 2006 on [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2006, 8:23 pm

Programs: AA, SPG
Just watned to say thanks to everyone for providing info on this hotel. Just booked an award stay for Dec 30-Jan 05 2007. I will be staying in Vancouver for 2 nights before heading up to whistler.

Has anyone here taken the Perimeter Transportation bus? Just wondering how scary they might or might not be. I've done the drive before but it was late at night and it was raning so the drive was pretty scary. So debating if its worth it to rent the car or just take the bus. Thanks
Old Aug 19, 2006, 7:12 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ernielim0216
Has anyone here taken the Perimeter Transportation bus? Just wondering how scary they might or might not be. I've done the drive before but it was late at night and it was raning so the drive was pretty scary. So debating if its worth it to rent the car or just take the bus. Thanks
I took this bus years ago from the airport (and back) and it was fine. Planning to do the same in March when I return to Whistler...
Old Aug 19, 2006, 7:14 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ac/elite
I've stayed at this property a number of times and love it. I am now a Plat, but even when I was a Gold I was always offered a free upgrade to a one bedroom suite.
Does anyone know if they would upgrade a Gold member when on an award stay? I just booked the 5-night-for-4 deal for March for 11,000 points per night in a Jr Suite with mountain view, and wonder what the likelihood is of getting upgraded to a 1 bed unit.
Old Aug 23, 2006, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by ernielim0216
Just watned to say thanks to everyone for providing info on this hotel. Just booked an award stay for Dec 30-Jan 05 2007. I will be staying in Vancouver for 2 nights before heading up to whistler.

I'd take the bus if you don't already have the rental. The road to Whistler is in bad shape now because of the construction and it took me a good three hours to drive there from Vancouver last Thursday. I hated the drive.
Old Aug 23, 2006, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Perimiter is very expensive, but they have good frequencies between YVR airport and Whistler and will transfer you direct to the Westin.

If you are coming from downtown Vancouver and are a little flexible, Greyhound Canada is actually very nice (compared to ghetto USA Greyhound) and it's 1/3 the price of Perimiter. The Westin van will pick you up from the bus loop in Whistler.
Old Dec 7, 2006, 10:02 am

Programs: AA EXP
Westin Whistler: Differing Starpoints Required for Suite Upgrade

I thought I'd post this as an FYI:

Last week inventory opened up for 2 days between Xmas and New Years at the Westin Whistler for a one-bedroom suite (due to loosening of the minimum stay requirement previously in place) I reserved it for 20,000 points per night. For this transaction, I called the regular SPG line (I'm "Preferred Plus")

Then I saw that a two bedroom suite had opened up, and I called to inquire to see how many points that would require. By an honest accident, I called the SPG Plat line that was still programmed on my phone from the good old days (I offered to hang up and redial, but the agent graciously said she would help me)

The 2 bedroom is not available except by special arrangement from the hotel, but she rebooked the reservations for only 11,500 points per night - the logic being that a Junior Suite (the smallest room at this hotel) to a 1 bedroom suite is a room category upgrade, not the same as a room to a suite. Differing interpretations by different agents - in this case it made a big points difference.

Since this time, two regular Junior suites have become available for the standard 10,000 points and I've downgraded so I still have enough points for a another redemption next year. In any case, potentially valuable information (especially if this property moves to a Category 6 next month).
Old Dec 7, 2006, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
I've had issues with this hotel's handling of SPG program. A letter to corporate is on the way
Old Dec 7, 2006, 10:54 am
CMV

Programs: BA Gold, Delta Gold, UA Gold
Originally Posted by jesus4jets
I thought I'd post this as an FYI:

Last week inventory opened up for 2 days between Xmas and New Years at the Westin Whistler for a one-bedroom suite (due to loosening of the minimum stay requirement previously in place) I reserved it for 20,000 points per night. For this transaction, I called the regular SPG line (I'm "Preferred Plus")

Then I saw that a two bedroom suite had opened up, and I called to inquire to see how many points that would require. By an honest accident, I called the SPG Plat line that was still programmed on my phone from the good old days (I offered to hang up and redial, but the agent graciously said she would help me)

The 2 bedroom is not available except by special arrangement from the hotel, but she rebooked the reservations for only 11,500 points per night - the logic being that a Junior Suite (the smallest room at this hotel) to a 1 bedroom suite is a room category upgrade, not the same as a room to a suite. Differing interpretations by different agents - in this case it made a big points difference.

Since this time, two regular Junior suites have become available for the standard 10,000 points and I've downgraded so I still have enough points for a another redemption next year. In any case, potentially valuable information (especially if this property moves to a Category 6 next month).
I've made several reservations at this hotel in the past month or so and have talked to at least three different agents. None of them tried to charge me 20,000 points per night.

Maybe confusion stemming from the fact that the hotel is all suites?
Old Dec 7, 2006, 10:58 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Originally Posted by BlissWorld
I've had issues with this hotel's handling of SPG program. A letter to corporate is on the way
While you're at it, you might wish to gripe about the value of their "resort fee." $13 in the summer and $20 in winter + 7% goods & services tax. Does NOT include HSIA or toll free calls. The $7 extra in winter replaces bike/golfclub storage with ski/board storage and "ski valet." As others have noted, pretty much every place in Whistler offers ski storage since they don't want skis tearing up the elevators, halls, and rooms.

10K points to move up from Jr Suite to 1BR would not seem right to me. I'm curious what the Plat Concierge would offer as the award price for a 2BR. Do Plats ever get upgraded from Jr Suite to 2BR? (Not every 2BR is designed to be split with a lockoff that can be rented separately.)
Old Dec 7, 2006, 11:10 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by sc flier
While you're at it, you might wish to gripe about the value of their "resort fee." $13 in the summer and $20 in winter + 7% goods & services tax. Does NOT include HSIA or toll free calls. The $7 extra in winter replaces bike/golfclub storage with ski/board storage and "ski valet." As others have noted, pretty much every place in Whistler offers ski storage since they don't want skis tearing up the elevators, halls, and rooms.

10K points to move up from Jr Suite to 1BR would not seem right to me. I'm curious what the Plat Concierge would offer as the award price for a 2BR. Do Plats ever get upgraded from Jr Suite to 2BR? (Not every 2BR is designed to be split with a lockoff that can be rented separately.)
I think there is a little confusion as to what is possible to book as an award at this resort through the Customer Contact Center...well, as far as upgrade awards are concerned anyway.

The suite award rate plan SPG4SU for 20,000 Starpoints would net a 1 BDRM suite which is approximately 587 sq.ft.

The next down from there is the SPG4SS rate plan that nets a junior loft suite for 11,500 Starpoints. Nothing internally says how large it is, but it is bi-level.

The next down from there is the SPG4S rate plan that nets a junior suite with a mountain view for 11,000 Starpoints. It is approximately 445 sq. ft.

It would not be possible to book a 2 BDRM suite through the Customer Contact Center on an award. If one was available at check-in, you might be able to upgrade to one using an Instant Award at check-in; however, I have no idea what they would charge you for such an upgrade.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]
Old Dec 7, 2006, 12:45 pm

Thanks, William!

The Jr Loft Suite can be viewed here on the Westin Whistler's website. It looks to me as if it is the same size as a Jr Suite but with the addition of a small dining table, fairly small loft, and stairs between the levels. It appears to me that the only bathroom is still located on the lower level, and the kitchen is more of a kitchenette. There are, however, a variety of floorplans according to the website.

And it's not until you get to a 2BR configuration that a King sized bed is offered, though some Jr Suites may have a pair of twin beds that can be combined to become a King.
Old Dec 7, 2006, 12:55 pm

Just to add...the SPG4 rate...standard redemption for this property is a junior suite as well, but they appear to be smaller rooms (400 sq.ft.) than the ones with a 1,500 or 1,000 Starpoints premium and like sc flier notes, most are either twin or queen-bedded.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Dec 7, 2006, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
Just to add...the SPG4 rate...standard redemption for this property is a junior suite as well, but they appear to be smaller rooms (400 sq.ft.) than the ones with a 1,500 or 1,000 Starpoints premium and like sc flier notes, most are either twin or queen-bedded.
Sure enough. I couldn't remember what I had reserved online for early March, and the current online reservation details tells me the room type but not the bed types. So I called the Plat Concierge line to ask. They had me in a 400 sqft Jr Suite with a Queen bed and a Queen sofabed.

The Plat Concierge said that this hotel's policy is to always prebook a one-category upgrade for Plat guests. Then if a better suite is available upon check-in (and of course showing availability for the duration of our stay), I should get that additional upgrade.

From what she told me, a Plat is eligible to get an upgrade to a 2BR suite. We both agree that it is highly unlikely during this peak ski season with a mid-week arrival. It's always possible, though; Jr Suites are already oversold. My question had been about eligibility and whether or not it was outright excluded by the hotel from Plats as a Specialty Suite. My understanding from our conversation is that it is NOT excluded.

What is not obvious but what was revealed to me by William in this thread is that the one-category upgrade from what I had reserved would still have left me in a Jr Suite -- though with a whopping 45 additional square feet (total 445). And perhaps a better view, but I'm not sure.

The Plat Concierge made me an offer upfront that was very kind, though. I'm scheduled for a Fifth Night Free award stay, and she offered to give me courtesy points to cover the upgrade cost of one night of whatever confirmed upgrade I wanted to choose. So I could, for example, spend a total of just 4500 (1500 * 3) more points to confirm an upgrade to the SPG4SS rate for all five nights. The hotel told her that this was the same price as the 1BR and that if she puts into the notes that I want a 1BR, then they will give me that instead of the Jr Loft Suite. I decided to accept that offer. FWIW, the 1BR suites are said to vary in size from 468 - 587 sqft according to the room layout from the hotel website.

Unlike with some of our stays, the difference is very significant to me for this trip. If I have a 1BR suite, then we're willing to host my Seattle-based brother and his wife on the sofabed in our suite for two or three nights. If we have a 2BR, we'd be able to offer them a real bed and a private bathroom. If we have a Jr Suite, then it would just be too tight for the four of us to be happy, and they won't come at all.

Back to William's comment about SPG4, though....
Here's my objection. This property appears to behave similar to the Westin Maui. It appears that they have basic award rooms that are at a lesser level than the most basic inventory that is in the advertised pool of paid rooms. Am I correct in interpretting this to mean that the basic award rooms are always 400 sqft Jr Suites but that the most basic Jr Suites sold for cash are often slightly larger ones? IOW, if a regular SPG member books an award online, might he unknowingly be booking a lesser room than if he had booked a paid night online?

For a somewhat randomly chosen date next Sept 20, I see online award availability for two room types:
1.) an undefined bed type
2.) 1 Queen Bed + 1 Double Sofa Bed

But the 1Q/1DblSofa doesn't even show up in the paid inventory. (Which BTW starts at CAD 169 BAR for this date and would certainly not be the best use of 10K points.)

Don't misinterpret me that I'm entirely unhappy with this property. I'm definitely looking forward to my stay. But it probably won't be hard to exceed my expectations.
Old Dec 7, 2006, 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by sc flier
Sure enough. I couldn't remember what I had reserved online for early March, and the current online reservation details tells me the room type but not the bed types. So I called the Plat Concierge line to ask. They had me in a 400 sqft Jr Suite with a Queen bed and a Queen sofabed.

The Plat Concierge said that this hotel's policy is to always prebook a one-category upgrade for Plat guests. Then if a better suite is available upon check-in (and of course showing availability for the duration of our stay), I should get that additional upgrade.

From what she told me, a Plat is eligible to get an upgrade to a 2BR suite.
If they did, they would be going above and beyond the program's expectations. Multiple bedroom suites are not considered to be select standard suites.

We both agree that it is highly unlikely during this peak ski season with a mid-week arrival. It's always possible, though; Jr Suites are already oversold. My question had been about eligibility and whether or not it was outright excluded by the hotel from Plats as a Specialty Suite. My understanding from our conversation is that it is NOT excluded.
Good reasoning so far, if we are discussing 1 BDRM and junior suites and not the 2 BDRM variety.

What is not obvious but what was revealed to me by William in this thread is that the one-category upgrade from what I had reserved would still have left me in a Jr Suite -- though with a whopping 45 additional square feet (total 445). And perhaps a better view, but I'm not sure.
Not necessarily. I don't agree with the one-category opinion of the Platinum Concierge. For example, if a 1 BDRM suite was available at check-in, you should be upgraded to it because it is on the SPG4SU rate plan for this property and those are considered to be select standard suites.

The Plat Concierge made me an offer upfront that was very kind, though. I'm scheduled for a Fifth Night Free award stay, and she offered to give me courtesy points to cover the upgrade cost of one night of whatever confirmed upgrade I wanted to choose. So I could, for example, spend a total of just 4500 (1500 * 3) more points to confirm an upgrade to the SPG4SS rate for all five nights. The hotel told her that this was the same price as the 1BR and that if she puts into the notes that I want a 1BR, then they will give me that instead of the Jr Loft Suite. I decided to accept that offer. FWIW, the 1BR suites are said to vary in size from 468 - 587 sqft according to the room layout from the hotel website.
Hope it works out for you.

<snip>

Back to William's comment about SPG4, though....
Here's my objection. This property appears to behave similar to the Westin Maui. It appears that they have basic award rooms that are at a lesser level than the most basic inventory that is in the advertised pool of paid rooms. Am I correct in interpretting this to mean that the basic award rooms are always 400 sqft Jr Suites but that the most basic Jr Suites sold for cash are often slightly larger ones? IOW, if a regular SPG member books an award online, might he unknowingly be booking a lesser room than if he had booked a paid night online?

For a somewhat randomly chosen date next Sept 20, I see online award availability for two room types:
1.) an undefined bed type
2.) 1 Queen Bed + 1 Double Sofa Bed

But the 1Q/1DblSofa doesn't even show up in the paid inventory. (Which BTW starts at CAD 169 BAR for this date and would certainly not be the best use of 10K points.)
I don't know, but I don't think any smoke or mirrors are involved. The hotel could probably do a better job of entering room descriptions, but that's about all I could offer in the way of criticism.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Dec 7, 2006, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

considering their 5BR Presidential Suite (top room) can go for as low as $714/night, it doesn't seem like the best property for award use, if you want to maximize point value. especially if it goes up in category, that would be pretty ridiculous.

their non starwood website is much more useful for finding information on the property.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.