Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2019, 10:45 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by Astrophsx
What's a better award redemption, the St Regis or the new JW Marriott that has an OWB as their base room? We are looking at going early October. I noticed the rates are nearly double at the St Regis. The JW Marriott was the Viceroy about 3-5 years ago. I've only been able to find a few videos on YouTube of the old Viceroy. We are looking to go for five nights.
I’m really curious what the reef is like at the JW. Because it was the Viceroy for many years, I suspect very little construction happened to wipe the reef (like it did at the STR). So it might have a better lagoon.

Old Jun 25, 2019, 11:55 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
What's a better award redemption, the St Regis or the new JW Marriott that has an OWB as their base room? We are looking at going early October. I noticed the rates are nearly double at the St Regis. The JW Marriott was the Viceroy about 3-5 years ago. I've only been able to find a few videos on YouTube of the old Viceroy. We are looking to go for five nights.
As with all things, only you can answer that for you. St Regis is about more than hard product; soft product in terms of better service and better overall food and beverage are a big part of the equation. If you value those more or less, that plays into your answer. JW isn’t as luxurious in terms of those, and JW is always going to be bigger and with many more units and guests than any StR. You choose the value proposition that seems best for you.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by bhrubin

As with all things, only you can answer that for you. St Regis is about more than hard product; soft product in terms of better service and better overall food and beverage are a big part of the equation. If you value those more or less, that plays into your answer. JW isn’t as luxurious in terms of those, and JW is always going to be bigger and with many more units and guests than any StR. You choose the value proposition that seems best for you.
These seem more generalized statements. The St. Regis actually has 25%+ more units. The JW is slightly smaller in land at ~17 acres (St. Regis is ~22 acres). The hard product of the JW is the old Viceroy, which has a completely different look and feel. The OWB look much more beautiful from the outside. Though, I don't believe they will be as large on the inside and the St. Regis bathrooms will still be much nicer. It looks like they've been updating the interiors of the room and updating the look and feel of the resort. So maybe a potential that the JW has a more "fresh" look?

I'm trying to compare the two properties as they are at the same award level.

So far:

JW Marriott
- Standard room is an OWB
- Smaller number of room could be a positive thing
- Risk that they push back the opening again even after taking reservations
- ~$100 pp cheaper for transportation
- Potential that the coral reef is in better shape as it hasn't seen many guests in the past five years.
- Privacy between OWB may not be as great at the St. Regis from this video (
)

I'm just trying to see what the pros/cons are as I've never stayed at the St. Regis and it look fantastic. The JW Marriott will have it's own dedicated airport lounge as well from what I've been told. The major benefit would be the OWB on a regular award redemption without having to pay to upgrade at the St. Regis.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 11:18 am

Programs: OZ *G, HHonors Gold, Aclub Plat
Originally Posted by calvinoeh
1st major storm (been pouring for the last 3 hours) since we've been here for 7 nights with 3 nights to go so have some time to write my 2 cents now. This is our 6 trip to the Maldives with multiple trips to the Conrad before and first time with our 2 children. I share this background as I keep comparing this stay with our previous trips to the Maldives.

Overall, the hard product is REALLY good. As mentioned earlier, we had paid for an upgrade from a Garden Villa on points to Beach Villa and got upgraded for an entire stay to a 2 storey/2 bedroom family villa with 1 king bed and 2 queen/double beds. The space is amazing where me and one kid slept upstairs and was able to adjust to jetlag without disturbing my wife and younger one who slept longer. It's a perfect space to spend while waiting for this storm to pass.

The service has been really hit and miss. At breakfast drink and food orders can get messed up and sometimes take forever to come. We would have to specifically ask for plastic cups for our kids and there would be sometimes forgotten. At a resort of this caliber, I'd expect to be proactively brought plastic cups vs having to ask and reminding the staff to bring them. Met the new GM Vincent at breakfast and gave him the feedback. Have some minor issues with the butler as well where buggy wasn't waiting when we got back from diving and not proactively being offered buggy for some of our excursions. The food is a case of looks better than it looks. It looks really good and "instagrammable" but to be honest, it wasn't to my liking. Omelletes and eggs would come lukewarm, cold, etc.

We've done the Spa and it is amazing. Totally recommend it.
My 5 year old and I did the sunset reel fishing last night and that was a ton of fun. The crew hooked a snapper and let my son reel it in while I caught a good sized Jack fish. Having that for dinner tonight.

We've also done a bunch of dives and it's a much smaller dive operation compared to the Conrad. at most we had like 4 or 5 on each trip and we've had couple where I was the only one on the dive boat. They tend to go to dive sites 10-20 minutes from the resort. Haven't seen any particularly impressive coral but the fish life has been great - tons of shark, rays, fish, turtle, etc.

I'm happy to have spent points pre-devaluation to try out the St Regis but don't think we are rushing back. We have a ton of Hilton points so probably going to go back to the Conrad to see how it holds up after the last time we were there 4 years ago or try the new WA. If I was paying cash, I would have been disappointed with the resort..
Been a couple of days since we're back in the US and am definitely missing the Maldives. My 5 year old keeps asking when we are going back

A couple more feedback that hopefully helps others who are going in the future..

The sunset fishing trip is REALLY worth it if you catch a ton of fish. They charge $75++ per head to cook the fish regardless how many fish you cook. There was a family of 5 that caught like 10 fish and they have an amazing fish feast the next day while I just had sashimi + fish and chips from the 2 relatively smaller fish I caught.

I saw a bunch of folks trying to snorkel out from Alba to the reef/dropoff and this was relatively a harder swim (maybe during this time of the year) then going out from the channel in from of the watersports/dive center and making a right. On days I wasn't diving, I would just head out to the reef from my family villa 2 doors down from the watersports center before breakfast.

I didn't get invited to any manager's reception during my 10 nights here and it might have been a case of bad weather during Tuesdays and/or new manager. I chatted with the new manager Vincent before we left and he mentioned that he is currently scheduled to be there only for 3 months but will probably stay on.

My butler mentioned that there are rumors of a Ritz Carlton opening in the near future but it's very hush hush at this point..
Old Jun 26, 2019, 12:11 pm

Been a couple of days since we're back in the US and am definitely missing the Maldives. My 5 year old keeps asking when we are going back

A couple more feedback that hopefully helps others who are going in the future..

The sunset fishing trip is REALLY worth it if you catch a ton of fish. They charge $75++ per head to cook the fish regardless how many fish you cook. There was a family of 5 that caught like 10 fish and they have an amazing fish feast the next day while I just had sashimi + fish and chips from the 2 relatively smaller fish I caught.

I saw a bunch of folks trying to snorkel out from Alba to the reef/dropoff and this was relatively a harder swim (maybe during this time of the year) then going out from the channel in from of the watersports/dive center and making a right. On days I wasn't diving, I would just head out to the reef from my family villa 2 doors down from the watersports center before breakfast.

I didn't get invited to any manager's reception during my 10 nights here and it might have been a case of bad weather during Tuesdays and/or new manager. I chatted with the new manager Vincent before we left and he mentioned that he is currently scheduled to be there only for 3 months but will probably stay on.

My butler mentioned that there are rumors of a Ritz Carlton opening in the near future but it's very hush hush at this point..
Ritz seems like a no brainer for this area
Old Jun 26, 2019, 2:18 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat

We are going in August for our 25th. 8 nights and I am really debating about diving. My wife doesn't dive and its our 25th anniversary so to go diving doesn't seem like the right thing. Were you happy with what you saw snorkeling? Others have said the diving isn't that great so I rationalized to just snorkel anyway. What are your thoughts?
Old Jun 26, 2019, 2:31 pm

Programs: OZ *G, HHonors Gold, Aclub Plat
Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
We are going in August for our 25th. 8 nights and I am really debating about diving. My wife doesn't dive and its our 25th anniversary so to go diving doesn't seem like the right thing. Were you happy with what you saw snorkeling? Others have said the diving isn't that great so I rationalized to just snorkel anyway. What are your thoughts?
Have you dove in the Maldives before? If not, I'd definitely do it. In general, i saw better stuff diving VS snorkeling..

I should mention that the diving schedule isn't as "intense" as the Conrad where they only have 2 tank morning dives every other day and when they do that, they dont offer dives in the afternoon. On other days, it's a one tank dive in morning where you will be back by around 10 am and another afternoon dive at 3.30 where you will make it back for happy hour. So still plenty of time to spend with the wife if you want to dive..
Old Jun 26, 2019, 11:42 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by bhrubin

Actually, the JW is the smaller resort with 61 rooms, vs. the St Regis' 77.

Also, reportedly service at this St. Regis isn't that great.

Knowing what I know, I would go for the OWV at the JW over a land villa at the StR, personally (not based on personal experience, given I haven't visited either yet)
Old Jun 27, 2019, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by helvetic

Knowing what I know, I would go for the OWV at the JW over a land villa at the StR, personally (not based on personal experience, given I haven't visited either yet)
The one worry I think I have about service at the JW is it being a brand new hotel.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 3:54 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Titanium/ Lifetime Platinum, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Originally Posted by helvetic

Here at the resort right now and service has been ON POINT. Our butler has been fantastic and meal service has been prompt and friendly. Airport butler was great as well. No complaints so far at all.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by Cll1881

Here at the resort right now and service has been ON POINT. Our butler has been fantastic and meal service has been prompt and friendly. Airport butler was great as well. No complaints so far at all.
Thanks for the info! Who is your butler? I will be there in a month.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 8:52 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
another thing to consider between the JW and StR is island beauty.. i used to be somewhat interested in 2014/2015 in JW (back when it was Viceroy) as the rooms looked very flashy, but promptly took it off my list when i did more research on the island itself... more than half the island used to not have an accessible beach and i don’t see how this can have changed. people also used to complain all the time about how choppy the lagoon at the viceroy used to be. the lagoon also seems to be missing those many shades of blue that you can find at the conrad and the W.

Im not a huge fan of the StR either as i find it to be quite un maldivian (there are many other premium resorts i’d rather pay cash for before redeeming pts at the regis), however id easily choose it over the JW. i mean, look at the pic below.. it’s just not at all pretty by maldivian standards!

3rdworldresident likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 5:41 am

I posted this on the W Maldives thread but also wanted to post here to get feedback please.

I have a reservation at both the W Maldives and St Regis. I booked both on points before the upgrade. For the W, it's 5 nights in OVW villa at 240k (1 free night). St Regis didn't have 5 consecutive nights so I booked 3 nights in regular villa and 2 nights in OVW for 340k (no free night). I contacted Marriott to ask if I could get 1 night in the regular villa free but they refused. Now, I'm trying to determine which is worth it. Transferring rooms in St Regis might be a hassle. Also, the points are 100k more which would have to come from my Chase and could be used towards other rewards.

What do you guys think?

Thanks
Old Jul 4, 2019, 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by rvlcr
another thing to consider between the JW and StR is island beauty.. i used to be somewhat interested in 2014/2015 in JW (back when it was Viceroy) as the rooms looked very flashy, but promptly took it off my list when i did more research on the island itself... more than half the island used to not have an accessible beach and i don’t see how this can have changed. people also used to complain all the time about how choppy the lagoon at the viceroy used to be. the lagoon also seems to be missing those many shades of blue that you can find at the conrad and the W.

Im not a huge fan of the StR either as i find it to be quite un maldivian (there are many other premium resorts i’d rather pay cash for before redeeming pts at the regis), however id easily choose it over the JW. i mean, look at the pic below.. it’s just not at all pretty by maldivian standards!

This is a photo of the Viceroy from ~2017

Comparing it to the St. Regis

Old Jul 4, 2019, 9:27 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
This is a photo of the Viceroy from ~2017

Comparing it to the St. Regis

this highlights what i’ve been trying to say. i’d be pretty pissed off if i paid upwards of 350K points and ended up at an island (the JW, that is) that had sea barriers located right up on the shore for more than half of its beach area. just my $0.02 though...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.