Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2019, 11:57 am

Programs: Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by maxw97
Thank you for your reply! We actually have three adults (me, 30, and my parents, both in their late 50s). I agree with you and tend not to create awkwardness first day on the trip. That being said, it just bugs me that I am already paying for a 1 King+1 sofa bed room where the maximum occupancy is 4, but still have to pay extra for the "extra person" for almost no additional services. I already emailed reservation saying 'we'll be spending a activities and dining, but they said there isn't much they can do.

Is this fee common with other Maldives resorts? Or is it just Marriott (I know Westin and W both have the fee)? I did some googling and surprisingly, not much results came up. I'm now wondering if I'm being unreasonable (blush) but also why people would be okay with this rip-off. It's not an all-inclusive resort.
This seems to be common at most of the hotels I've looked at (StR, W, Conrad, WA). I also don't think it's advisable to show up with an extra person as there's no guarantee there will be space for them on the seaplane and even if there is, I don't think showing up last minute with an extra person is going to stop them from charging you the fee.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by slice
I have a 6 night award stay. Any idea what happens if I want to drop the first night and instead make it 5 nights (same remaining dates). Will they allow that or will they try to reprice? Should I just no-show on the first night?
Have you already fulfilled the points for the reservation or is it a points advance?
Old Mar 13, 2019, 1:36 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Thank you for your reply! We actually have three adults (me, 30, and my parents, both in their late 50s). I agree with you and tend not to create awkwardness first day on the trip. That being said, it just bugs me that I am already paying for a 1 King+1 sofa bed room where the maximum occupancy is 4, but still have to pay extra for the "extra person" for almost no additional services. I already emailed reservation saying 'we'll be spending a activities and dining, but they said there isn't much they can do.

Is this fee common with other Maldives resorts? Or is it just Marriott (I know Westin and W both have the fee)? I did some googling and surprisingly, not much results came up. I'm now wondering if I'm being unreasonable (blush) but also why people would be okay with this rip-off. It's not an all-inclusive resort.
I am in a similar situation (3 adults, mom + gf) and cancelled the Maldives because it was just impractical and expensive. Looked like I'd be forced to pay for an extra room and that upgrades wouldn't be forthcoming. Instead, we're doing Bali + Thailand. Already have some of the bookings with confirmed upgrades to multi-bedroom suites, for far cheaper than the Maldives. Where we can't secure the multi-bedroom suite, we'll book two rooms.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 2:35 pm

Programs: SAS Gold, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold
Thanks for your reply! Good question. I assumed they wouldn't be so busy that they couldn't accommodate a last minute addition, but if there is a legit chance (even if it's just over 10%), I wouldn't risk it. What do you think?
I definitely wouldn't and I also don't see the point as they'll surely just charge you the extra person fee regardless. Maldives is expensive and St Regis is at the top -- it is what it is.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 2:38 pm

Programs: SAS Gold, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by cabbit
How many Days were you there for?...I'm going to go there for 10 days and a little scared

was the butler nice ? or they are not good in organise activities?
I went for 10 days in February and had a fab time. Provided a bit of feedback to the butler on day 2 about slow service at Alba breakfast and that got it sorted. Island time and all... I was very pleased with my stay.
cabbit likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by sydneyflyer12
Have you already fulfilled the points for the reservation or is it a points advance?
Fully paid, points already deducted for the stay.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 4:38 pm

I thought there would be more 85k GV availability after March 5, but I'm only seeing 125k OWV awards, even during the low season?!
Old Mar 13, 2019, 5:56 pm

Talking

Originally Posted by sydneyflyer12
This seems to be common at most of the hotels I've looked at (StR, W, Conrad, WA). I also don't think it's advisable to show up with an extra person as there's no guarantee there will be space for them on the seaplane and even if there is, I don't think showing up last minute with an extra person is going to stop them from charging you the fee.
Thank you for the information! I looked on Hilton's website but it was very confusing and opaque about extra charged. Even the seaplane costs were not showing up in the summary page. So I really appreciate you sharing your research results!
Old Mar 13, 2019, 6:00 pm

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by helvetic
I am in a similar situation (3 adults, mom + gf) and cancelled the Maldives because it was just impractical and expensive. Looked like I'd be forced to pay for an extra room and that upgrades wouldn't be forthcoming. Instead, we're doing Bali + Thailand. Already have some of the bookings with confirmed upgrades to multi-bedroom suites, for far cheaper than the Maldives. Where we can't secure the multi-bedroom suite, we'll book two rooms.
I'm fully on the same page with you! A "point redemption" became a $5k trip so fast, and that is before excursions and dining! Even at Westin or W, it's at least an extra $3.5k when you have a third person.We decided to bite the bullet because we have been so hyped, it's hard to give in. But Bali and Thailand are so much fun too, especially with the suites you are getting. I hope you all have a great time!
Old Mar 13, 2019, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by slice
Fully paid, points already deducted for the stay.
Then I would imagine it might actually be possible. I would call Marriott and see what they say. If you don't like the answer you can also reach out to the hotel directly.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 6:48 pm

Thank you for the information! I looked on Hilton's website but it was very confusing and opaque about extra charged. Even the seaplane costs were not showing up in the summary page. So I really appreciate you sharing your research results!
One nice about the Maldives points resorts is that most of them have relatively thorough FT threads that can answer a lot fo questions. Good resource if you're looking to compare the hotels.
maxw97 likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 7:11 am

Originally Posted by jjakobv84
I went for 10 days in February and had a fab time. Provided a bit of feedback to the butler on day 2 about slow service at Alba breakfast and that got it sorted. Island time and all... I was very pleased with my stay.
for the 10 days did all stayed in GV? or also in OWV?...did you shared your experience in this forum? if so I will go and search for

did you request any particular OWV?...and which restaurant u recommende and what activies? Like island picinic? i know i will go and do some fishing and get oriental to cook for us~~

Becausei 'm staying there 5 days GV and 5 Day OWV, just want to plan all my things ahead!!! hence so many questions~~ thanks heaps
Old Mar 14, 2019, 4:33 pm

Talking

I definitely wouldn't and I also don't see the point as they'll surely just charge you the extra person fee regardless. Maldives is expensive and St Regis is at the top -- it is what it is.
Alas but I agree with you! Looking at the bright side, I'm still saving thousands of dollars with this redemption. I think anything over $1:100 Marriott points exchange rate is good redemption, and this easily beats that.

Sorry for the late reply! I am a newbie and can only post 5 times per 24 hours.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 6:50 pm

I'd make restaurant reservations in advance just so you have something; you can then adjust with the butler when you're there as you find out what you like / dislike. I personally didn't like Alba for dinner much, but think Cargo is definitely worth a visit (or two depending on how long you're there). The menu at Whale bar is pretty good on paper; we unfortunately skipped dining there as we didn't trust our son that close to the water at night (an active 2 year old!).

Someone else answered on return flights; it's mostly driven by your seaplane departure which the hotel doesn't control. We had a 6.15pm flight and left the resort at 3pm and had late check-out. I think it just comes down to whether they need the villa for someone else arriving or not -- not your level of status.
​​​​​​
I've heard good things about Cargo. Do you remember how much it cost?
Old Mar 14, 2019, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by husky96821
​​​​​​
I've heard good things about Cargo. Do you remember how much it cost?
Cargo is a must I woudl say. Including wine, service and tax we paid approximate USD 450 for two people. Your wine choice can drive that up a lot higher, but the menu is a fixed price.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.