Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2011, 10:23 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, AC Elite, Airmiles Gold, Hertz Gold Plus Rewards
Thumbs up

^
After seeing quite a few negative responses about the property, I decided to post my defence.
Yes, I have seen better Westins or even Sheratons. Mind you, practically all resort Westin properties around the world are your standard Cat 6. This is 5.
Caymans don't have many hotels at all. Ritz comparison is invalid as it would be at minimum a St. Regis equivalent at SPG level (Cat 6 or maybe 7).
We stayed Dec 26, 2010 -- Jan, 5th, 2011. In reservation, I asked for rooms 108-102 (Oceanfronts as I other people posted here that the property doesn't upgrade to suites.).
I was given 106 -- Ground floor with immediate access to the sand. The room is OK size and furniture for your basic older Westin (I stayed 70+ SPGs at 5 continents). Room was clean. My wife speaks fluent Spanish, so that helped with housekeeping personnel.
Stuff was fantastic, friendly and well trained. I had many requests (being a pretty demanding Plat with 1 and 4 year olds), everything was done immediately. When my daughter became very sick 3AM on Dec31st, stuff called a doctor, called the room to inform us when he was already proceeding to the room, and charged my bill for the visit! I was even asked later how much daughter was feeling.
I was not charged for the fridge and inflatable bed for my 4 year old -- she just love it. I had a Westin bed and shower in 106.
I requested to be shown all types of suites (I even negotiated a possible future upgrade to a Junior suite in a less busier season though I may not sure I am going to pursue this -- Jnr suites are partial ocean view facing mostly Governor's residence). Most suites are just 2 or 3 interconnected rooms and do not differ in decor or furnishings from Oceanfronts.
Definitely I would recommend this hotel to stay on points (US$500 on average per room in a high season thus by far the best value for points for a non-European SPG property anywhere in the world). SPG doesn't have too many properties in the Caribbean. Hawaii are not viable for families with younger kids (10+ hours non-stop from east cost).
Old May 27, 2011, 2:29 pm

Programs: UA GS 3Million, Marriott/SPG LIFETIME Platinum - current Titanium, HHonors Diamond
Thumbs up

Now, I'm usually a bit hard on hotels (don't believe me, check my history ). However, I just returned from a week at this property (honeymoon). I didn't push on the ground floor ocean level room issue as I wasn't going to be in the room all that long and I don't have kids who would want to hit the beach directly.

We were upgraded to a second floor Oceanfront King, which is the room of the same size as the first floor rooms, with a patio and no one over top (other than the third floor outdoor area). The room was nice (not a 2011 remodel, mind you) and all the amenities were there.

Housekeeping was a bit spotty, but once we pushed them to clean when we went out diving each morning and put a post-it on the coffee maker reminding them to put English Breakfast tea there instead of some fru-fru stuff, we we fine.

We received a nice bottle of champagne and chocolate strawberries from the management and some cookies on the second night. Turndown service always included two Tortugas Rum Cakes (tourist trap central).

We had a great stay. The resort vibe really isn't me, with people who look like something out of the Jersey Shore ordering fruit drinks at the pool bar, but this is a very nice property with a responsive staff and even a very nice pool bar...
Old Aug 7, 2011, 7:11 pm

We are thinking of staying here in Dec, can someone tell me what it cost to rent cabanas on beach or by pool? Is the internet free to Platinums? Do they rent jetskis, sailboats, etc on beach? Do platinum members have to pay resort fee on award stays? Thanks for any info!
Old Sep 11, 2011, 12:23 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Hello. I've always wanted to try this place since seeing the Firm movie. Any recent comments on treatment of Plats? Know it is not much. How about transport to/from airport? How was clearing immigration in Grand Cayman? All comments appreciated. Thanks.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 3:43 pm

Hello. I've always wanted to try this place since seeing the Firm movie. Any recent comments on treatment of Plats? Know it is not much. How about transport to/from airport? How was clearing immigration in Grand Cayman? All comments appreciated. Thanks.
Not a fan of the Westin. All my stays have been underwhelming. I now stay at the Sunshine Suites across the road, for less money and more value. No suite upgrades for Plats at the Westin. Period. Do let us know if things have improved at the Westin. Perhaps I will give it another shot this year.

Taxis from the airport are easy to find, just ask as soon as you walk out the door of the terminal. Fixed rates, generally. Typical island fares, a bit pricey, but so what.

Clearing immigration is a piece of cake. Just pick up your bags and get in line. It moves fairly fast, depending on arrival times. Don't lose your entry card, as you need to present it on the way out. (which takes a lot longer than getting in). Grab some tourist brochures and coupon books at the visiters booth on the way into the baggage area.

If you are staying at the Westin, or anywhere on 7 mile for that matter, there are several shopping plazas within walking distance for groceries, sodas, etc...

There are many oustanding restaurants in Cayman, depending on your tastes. Ask around. Everything from an amazing Sunday brunch at the Ritz to all you can eat lobster night at Deckers to local curry goat & seafood.

Lots of ex-pats on the island. Reasonably crime-free for tourists, although it's getting worse every year. Avoid shopping in town when the cruiseships are in port. Most things are closed on Sundays. The CI$ trades higher than the US$, so it's fairly pricey.

Happy to answer questions.

Cheers,
Old Sep 11, 2011, 10:03 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Thank you so much for that. Can you give me a USD$ zone for taxi? Thanks.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 12:18 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, AC Elite, Airmiles Gold, Hertz Gold Plus Rewards
Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
Thank you so much for that. Can you give me a USD$ zone for taxi? Thanks.
$30
Old Sep 12, 2011, 12:21 am

Originally Posted by adgtravel
We are thinking of staying here in Dec, can someone tell me what it cost to rent cabanas on beach or by pool? Is the internet free to Platinums? Do they rent jetskis, sailboats, etc on beach? Do platinum members have to pay resort fee on award stays? Thanks for any info!
All yes to your questions. We didn't rent cabanas. There no cabanas by the pool.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 5:59 am

Thank you. I should have been clear. I will fly to/from MIA. Sure the taxi rate is higher now. ?
Old Sep 12, 2011, 10:45 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: OneWorld Alliance

Programs: AA ExecPlat & 3MM; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
Thank you. I should have been clear. I will fly to/from MIA. Sure the taxi rate is higher now. ?
Taxi (large van) in Aug was about 25 USD (cash only) for three people (or my memory is failing me). Initially we didn't get a suite upgrade, but did get upgraded to a better room (ocean view, refurbished).

In the middle of our stay there was a water leak from the room above us (we were on the second floor) that started at 8:30pm, they fixed it after about an hour (offered to give us free breakfast) at around 1:30am the leak started again. In the morning after breakfast they offered to move us to a new room - it was the governor suite which was outstanding.

Overall the staff were very nice and professional, but they don't give platinums as much as other places. You pay the resort charge, and it doesn't look that platinums get anything extra (I was too busy having fun or sleeping to follow up) .

BTW, instead of eating at the hotel, I would recommend to go across the street to Eats Cafe/Legends - Breakfast, Lunch or Dinner. There are better choices (larger variety as well), better food and it is considerably cheaper. The service can be slow, but the same is true in the hotel.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 5:52 am

Thank you. Sounds like it will be a decent time. No expectations for upgrade.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 6:00 am

FYI - CI is pegged to the US at 1.25:1

Originally Posted by Flews
The CI$ trades higher than the US$, so it's fairly pricey.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 10:33 am

Programs: SPG, HH, Aeroplan
Cabanas and Watersports

Originally Posted by adgtravel
Cabanas were CI$120, I think. You can see some photos here. I would rather sit under those casuarina trees on the beach. Water sports rental was outsourced to Red Sail Sports when we were there. Their booth was located right on the beach. They had small sailing boats and jet skis.

NOTE. Do not miss the Spa at this Westin!
Old Sep 30, 2011, 9:50 pm

No expectations. Treated very well.

I original had this booked as a FRN. A schedule change got me looking at the rates and my potential use of the FRN I was using. Decided to pay the AAA rate which for whatever reason thought might look better in terms of getting a upgrade.

I kept looking at the reservation online with it always showing island view aka I assume parking lot. It was a pleasant surprise to learn upon arrival I had indeed been upgraded to a king, non-smoke, deluxe and ocean-front room. Nice. Offered points as amenity which I accepted. Internet is decent speed via wifi. Had to ask about that. Wanted some bottled water which is $6 CI (yikes). Asked front desk and they had two regular size bottles delivered comp.. Received late check-out of 2 PM. Expecting nothing got lots. Maybe a change in approach by the Resort. That being said the room is pretty sparse but comfortable and island clean.

Regards from GCM. Consider getting here from MIA. I used AA points for economy as the flight is less than 90 minutes. I could have paid for the flight which I should have given how reasonable it was. AA uses a 737 and the evening arrival had no one else in immigration / customs. Fare from GCM to Westin is a bit over $23 USD.

As for Eats. Service was very good and food decent. They add the tip on so watch for that. The sports bar next door was nice.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 10:40 pm

For anyone who likes a bargain, this hotel can sometimes be booked through Hotwire. I picked up a 5-night stay for $133/night (not including resort fees).

Check www.betterbidding.com to see if there is updated information.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.