Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2018, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by hhoope01
I do believe that right now the way the online tool tells you that the hotel has run out of award rooms for a particular date is "the hotel is not accepting points reservations". But if you try other dates that do still have award room inventory, you will see that they do still take awards.
got it... it just seems like something is off with the overall availability of hotel rooms there, unless it just sold out very quickly all of a sudden.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 1:53 pm

Current Platinum Elite Benefits?

What are Platinum Elite benefits when staying at this WESTIN (post Aug. merger)? We go next month.

It seems:

Breakfast: Continental or $ credit?
Resort Fee: Rebate off of $65 per day
Upgrade?
No Lounge but any benefit without?
Other tips?

Thank you for any information.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 8:39 pm

Is this hotel worth using my Ritz free night certificates i earned with the ritz card or should we just stay at the ritz? We were thinking the Westin just for the free breakfast as platinums
Old Dec 26, 2018, 9:02 pm
ymx

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA EXP, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by vapro10s
What are Platinum Elite benefits when staying at this WESTIN (post Aug. merger)? We go next month.
Just completed a five night points stay last week as a Platinum Premier Elite.

Breakfast: Continental which includes coffee, orange juice, choice of eggs, choice of pastry, yogurt and fruit. Table service (eggs made to order). Or for $8 you can upgrade to the buffet. The continental was very filling for us.

Resort Fee: $65 per day - but you get a coupon for $8 for each day to spend for food at any venue as an alternate amenity since WiFi is already part of your member benefit

Upgrade: We received an upgrade to an oceanfront room overlooking the pool. We found that too noisy as there were loud revelers in the hot tub underneath our room the first two nights, so we were moved to an oceanview room which was perfectly quiet. The ocean view rooms are on the two outside legs of the “U” shaped complex.

No Lounge but any benefit without? No

Other tips? Beach much nicer here than the Ritz or Marriott. We also stayed 3 nights at the Kimpton Seafire a short way up the beach which was amazing!
Old Dec 27, 2018, 6:08 am

YMX

Thank you for the info. We stayed at SeaFire in 2017 a within a few months of the opening. I saved all of my Kimpton Nights for that redemption and at that time still had Inner Circle status. We had a fantastic stay. First time at the Westin and Kimpton SeaFire has set the bar high.

Have a SUV rented and enjoyed that freedom with our last stay too.

All the best, John
Old Dec 30, 2018, 8:16 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Curious if anyone has been able to compare this to the Westin St. John? I know St. John is all villas, but there are some nice points deals here, and it looks like a very nice spot to visit.

I'm also looking at the St. Regis in Puerto Rico, but I realize that's very different
Old Dec 31, 2018, 4:59 am

Programs: MR LT Titanium, SPG LT Plat & Plat 100, SWA A+ & CP
Was there last month and last year. It’s a great location and I got a great points redemption at 12k times 4 plus 5th night free. Booked under the wire with the points change.

Im a Top Level plat. Last year, I was upgraded to an awesome suite. This year, suites were all sold out and was upgraded to an oceanfront room. notes...

- the beach and service are awesome. Incredible.

- used my PLT amenity and upgraded breakfast every AM. Used my resort fee $$ to do this. The full breakfast buffet was awesome. Custom omelettes, fruits, pancakes, you name it. You eat this after 10am, no need for lunch.

- the island itself is expensive. Not terribly but everything seems to be about 20% more. We packed some booze as booze is a bit steep.

- while the resort fee is expensive, you do get value from it. Paddle board, yoga, $10 resort bucks, to name a few. Don’t love paying it but they are par for the course with other GC hotels.

Liked it so much last year that we went back this year. Would go again but would probably try St. John’s once before. Just to check it out.
svo242 likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by svo242
Curious if anyone has been able to compare this to the Westin St. John? I know St. John is all villas, but there are some nice points deals here, and it looks like a very nice spot to visit.

I'm also looking at the St. Regis in Puerto Rico, but I realize that's very different
I've been to both and keeping in mind St Johns is being completely rebuilt, they're different hotels IMO. Ive been to GC twice and it might be my favorite location. The Westin is phenomenal and on one of the best beaches in the world. The St Johns property has completely different feel, more laid back, less people. The beach at that resort is not great but St John as an island is great with many very nice beaches if you drive. I enjoyed my stay in St John and love the island but GC was/is even better. I'll go back to St John again some day but I'll probably visit GC a few more times before I do.
svo242 likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by jb3t
Was there last month and last year. It’s a great location and I got a great points redemption at 12k times 4 plus 5th night free. Booked under the wire with the points change.

Im a Top Level plat. Last year, I was upgraded to an awesome suite. This year, suites were all sold out and was upgraded to an oceanfront room. notes...

- used my PLT amenity and upgraded breakfast every AM. Used my resort fee $$ to do this. The full breakfast buffet was awesome. Custom omelettes, fruits, pancakes, you name it. You eat this after 10am, no need for lunch.

- the island itself is expensive. Not terribly but everything seems to be about 20% more. We packed some booze as booze is a bit steep.

- while the resort fee is expensive, you do get value from it. Paddle board, yoga, $10 resort bucks, to name a few. Don’t love paying it but they are par for the course with other GC hotels.

Liked it so much last year that we went back this year. Would go again but would probably try St. John’s once before. Just to check it out.
Thank you for this info! My wife and I were planning on doing a long weekend for our anniversary on Grand Cayman in February. So: as Platinum members, we will be upgraded to a suite, most likely? For the breakfast, continental is included but you can upgrade using the $8 they give you since wifi is free? Is this per person or just one $8 credit per room?

We have 2 free Ritz certificates and one IHG free night and we were thinking about doing one night at Ritz, one night at Westin and one at Kimpton Seafire. Would you do this or is the Ritz not worth it? I've heard there's no free breakfast and that most people have to stay on the other side of the road for a long walk to a narrow beach, but that the property is nicer. Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old Jan 1, 2019, 9:01 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Personally, I'd think moving to a new hotel every day would take away a significant portion of your vacation. You'd have to unpack/pack every day and spend time checking in/out every day. Then you have to get your luggage from one place to the other. I'd rather spend that time sitting out by the pool or the ocean.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 9:56 am

Personally, I'd think moving to a new hotel every day would take away a significant portion of your vacation. You'd have to unpack/pack every day and spend time checking in/out every day. Then you have to get your luggage from one place to the other. I'd rather spend that time sitting out by the pool or the ocean.
Which of the three hotels is best, do you think?
Old Jan 1, 2019, 11:54 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by jb3t

Did you have any trouble getting pool/beach chairs? Or finding spaces in restaurants? I don't love when it's too crowded to even find a spot!
Old Jan 1, 2019, 12:14 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Best is a "subjective" term. I'd say the RC would win in the "luxury" category, but who knows if you would even be on the same side of the street with the ocean? I don't know anything about the Kimpton. So can't comment on it.

What I might do, given you have 2 free night certs at the RC, would be to contact the hotel to find out what their Plat upgrade options are? Are you a Plat or PP? Suite upgrades are now supposed to be possible at RCs for PPs, but who knows if the Cayman RC would give you one or not (even if available). If you really want the best chance at an ocean-front room, the Westin may give you a better chance than the RC. From some of the Tripadvisor comments, it looks like Plats now get at least some type of free breakfast at the RC now as well (though not sure if it can be upgraded to a full buffet breakfast or not.)
Old Jan 1, 2019, 3:22 pm

Best is a "subjective" term. I'd say the RC would win in the "luxury" category, but who knows if you would even be on the same side of the street with the ocean? I don't know anything about the Kimpton. So can't comment on it.

What I might do, given you have 2 free night certs at the RC, would be to contact the hotel to find out what their Plat upgrade options are? Are you a Plat or PP? Suite upgrades are now supposed to be possible at RCs for PPs, but who knows if the Cayman RC would give you one or not (even if available). If you really want the best chance at an ocean-front room, the Westin may give you a better chance than the RC. From some of the Tripadvisor comments, it looks like Plats now get at least some type of free breakfast at the RC now as well (though not sure if it can be upgraded to a full buffet breakfast or not.)
I'm just a Plat, not PP. So would you say the Ritz is a LOT more luxurious and nicer than the Westin, with better activities? The two things pushing me toward the Westin are the free breakfast and the nicer beach, plus the greater likelihood of being on the beach instead of across the street. But the Ritz is a much better redemption since rooms there cost so much more and it seems more luxurious. Do you like the RC better than the Westin? I didn't see the TA reviews mentioning free breakfast with Plat at the RC?
Old Feb 18, 2019, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by googs185
I'm just a Plat, not PP. So would you say the Ritz is a LOT more luxurious and nicer than the Westin, with better activities? The two things pushing me toward the Westin are the free breakfast and the nicer beach, plus the greater likelihood of being on the beach instead of across the street. But the Ritz is a much better redemption since rooms there cost so much more and it seems more luxurious. Do you like the RC better than the Westin? I didn't see the TA reviews mentioning free breakfast with Plat at the RC?
This is the same exact argument im having right now when deciding between the two properties..its a tough decision

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.