Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Bangkok, Thailand

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2018, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rxgeek
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.

Can someone who knows list the names of the hotels here in this long thread? Here are the names, addresses, email contact, commonly used abbreviations and some basic info about each hotel. (Location information, CL and breakfast information, UG experiences reported within the thread, typical room layout and frequently mentioned basic advice for different properties.) Keep in mind most posts indicate these are all great hotels. Hope this helps. CJK
  • JW Marriott Hotel Bangkok (JW) 4 Sukhumvit Road, Soi 2, Bangkok 10110, Thailand between the Phloen Chit and Nana BTS Stations. There is a pretty large CL. Elites mostly report having complimentary breakfast offered only at the CL and not in a restaurant. Some are bothered by the hotel's proximity to the Nana district and think the hotel may get some associated business while others (myself) have not really noticed this unless looking hard to see it. The hotel was recently renovated and there are a few posts showing pictures. UGs are usually to the club level regular room where the bathrooms are interior (no outside glass wall) and feature rather small showers but great soaking tubs. Unlike the other hotels listed here, the toilets are not in enclosures.
  • Renaissance Bangkok Ratchaprasong Hotel (Ren) 518/8 Ploenchit Road Khwaeng Lumphini, Khet Pathum Wan, Bangkok almost attached to the Chit Lom BTS Station and the SkyWalk. One can reach the platform without having to walk on public sidewalks and by using escalators/elevators in the building next door, so most feel this is the property with the fastest and easiest access to BTS. The CL is smaller than the JW's and sometimes gets full. Some elites report having a choice of the complimentary breakfast in the restaurant (which is quite good and huge) while others report having that request denied. Latest reports indicate the restaurant breakfast is offered as of April 2018. The hotel does not have many suites so UGs are usually to corner rooms which often have seating and/or dressing areas as well as larger bathrooms with full glass walls. IMO this is the best/most convenient hotel for a first timer looking to do typical touristy things in Bangkok.
  • Courtyard by Marriott Bangkok (CY) 155/1 Soi Mahadlekluang 1 Ratchadamri Road Bangkok is about a five minute walk to either the Ratchadamri or Chit Lom BTS Stations. The hotel operates tuk-tuks to/from the BTS Station. The hotel has a CL and consistently offers elites a choice of breakfast there or in the restaurant. The CL is on the top floor of the hotel and has outdoor seating. Having stayed at the hotel several times as a P, PP and LTP I have never been given an UG, so if there are others who can chime in on that please do. The regular room has a small interior only bathroom with a window overlooking the room and no tub, only a walk-in shower. IMO the price can makes this a great choice, as it is convenient to many places a visitor will go. Sometimes it can be half the price of other Marriott options and they often run double points promotions. (Call the hotel to ask, it cannot hurt.)
  • Bangkok Marriott Marquis Queens Park (Sukhumvit Soi 22) 199 ถนน สุขุมวิท ซอย 22 Khwaeng Khlong Tan, Khet Khlong Toei, กรุงเทพมหานคร 10110, Thailand is about an eight minute walk to the Emporium Mall and Phrom Phong BTS Station either down the Soi sidewalk or through Queen's Park. The hotel operates a regular shuttle to the BTS Station although some have reported trouble catching it back to the hotel. The CL is large, with an outdoor deck, and most people report not being given a choice for the complimentary breakfast in the restaurant. Most Plats report getting UG to a suite, with the M Suite seeming to be most common. It has a living room, bedroom and single large interior bathroom with separate walk-in showers and tubs. This is the largest hotel in Bangkok.
  • Bangkok Marriott Hotel Sukhumvit (Sukhumvit Soi 57) 2 ถนน สุขุมวิท 57 Phra Khanong, Khlong Toei, กรุงเทพมหานคร 10110, Thailand ([email protected]) is a two minute walk to the Thong Lo BTS Station. Getting to the station involves crossing Thong Lo intersection which can be daunting. The hotel is about a ten minute BTS ride to the central malls, the Ren, etc. The area is a little quieter and more "Thai" than the more touristy/business area where the JW, Ren and CY are located. Some people report being able to have complimentary breakfast in the restaurant while others report lounge only. The CL is about the same size as the Ren's and can get crowded in the early evening. The hotel is on the higher floors of a 40+ story building and the CL is located on one of the top floors, offering stunning views of Bangkok. There is a rooftop bar on the top of the building with great views, too. Elites are often given a coupon for a free drink on the roof. Plats report mostly getting UGs to a two room suite with an extra half bath. The main bath includes an enclosed toilet, a single large walk-in shower and a large soaking tub that can easily seat two. (While the tub is large, the JW, Marquis and Ren tubs are more comfortable for a single person looking to lean back and relax.) IMO this is the quietest of the hotels listed here.
  • Bangkok Marriott Hotel The Surawongse 262 Thanon Surawong, Khwaeng Si Phraya, Khet Bang Rak, Krung Thep Maha Nakhon 10500, Thailand is the newest hotel. As of April 2018 there are not many posts from users who have stayed, nor is there an abbreviation being commonly used on this forum. The hotel is not attached/close to a BTS or MRT station but is near the Silom business area and some more popular adult entertainment establishments.
Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Bangkok 35,000 Category 5
The St. Regis Bangkok 35,000 Category 5
Bangkok Marriott Hotel The Surawongse 25,000 Category 4
Bangkok Marriott Marquis Queen's Park 25,000 Category 4
JW Marriott Hotel Bangkok 35,000 Category 5
Le Mridien Bangkok 25,000 Category 4
Bangkok Marriott Hotel Sukhumvit 25,000 Category 4
Renaissance Bangkok Ratchaprasong Hotel 25,000 Category 4
The Athenee Hotel, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Bangkok 35,000 Category 5
The Westin Grande Sukhumvit,25,000 Category 4
W Bangkok 25,000 Category 4
Le Mridien Suvarnabhumi, Bangkok Golf Resort & Spa 17,500 Category 3
Aloft Bangkok Sukhumvit 11 17,500 Category 3
Courtyard by Marriott Bangkok 12,500 Category 2
Four Points by Sheraton Bangkok, Sukhumvit 1512,500 Category 2
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Bangkok, Thailand

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2015, 3:24 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by eternaltransit
Am in the area now and was just at the Ren - staff all ok apart from one staff injury. Heard one guest fatality, but area all quiet now. However, 2nd attack at the Saphan Taksin River Boat Pier/BTS station just reported...
Thanks for the update. Very sorry to hear about the fatality and the injury. Anyone who has ever stayed at that hotel could have been there. Sad.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 3:58 am

Originally Posted by CJKatl
Thanks for the update. Very sorry to hear about the fatality and the injury. Anyone who has ever stayed at that hotel could have been there. Sad.
Yes, extremely sad - the location doesn't seem to have had much luck over the past five years, what with riots, floods, protests and now a bomb, but the property is running normally, if a little subdued.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 4:17 am
Suspended

riots - really, besides the looting/burning of Central World back in May 2010, what riots are you referring to?

floods - the 2012 floods in BKK didn't get within 3-kms of this hotel.

bomb - was in back of the Hyatt without any impact on the Renaissance except perhaps the noise (which I heard 2 blocks away).

the "sky is falling" mentality is really not needed..........

Originally Posted by eternaltransit
Yes, extremely sad - the location doesn't seem to have had much luck over the past five years, what with riots, floods, protests and now a bomb, but the property is running normally, if a little subdued.

Last edited by leeky; Aug 18, 2015 at 4:25 am
Old Aug 18, 2015, 4:44 am

Originally Posted by leeky
riots - really, besides the looting/burning of Central World back in May 2010, what riots are you referring to?

floods - the 2012 floods in BKK didn't get within 3-kms of this hotel.

bomb - was in back of the Hyatt without any impact on the Renaissance except perhaps the noise (which I heard 2 blocks away).

the "sky is falling" mentality is really not needed..........
The sky is not falling - but the impact due to the events I mentioned on the hotel is undeniable.

The property wasn't even open for one year and was immediately impacted by the Red-shirt protests in April/May 2010, one whose major protest site was the Ratchaprasong intersection. The hotel is located on Ploenchit Rd between the Ratchaprasong intersection and the Chidlom intersection - that area formed part of the red-shirt protest camp (I remember them camped along the road) and so whilst it was technically possible to access the hotel and the hotel was operating normally, occupancy was of course low due to the hassle issues.

It didn't then help the hotel that a major shopping mall literally 250m down the road was set on fire. Perhaps riots was not technically the correct word, but there was a lot of civil unrest and multiple military crackdowns - and this unfolded on global news. After all one of the red-shirt leaders was assassinated during an interview with the New York Times!

Floods - yes, the infamous floods in 2011. It is of course true that the hotel and the Ratchaprasong area was dry, but major parts of the central region and Bangkok were seriously flooded. Once again this was reported on global news stations and there was a massive drop in visitor numbers across Bangkok, especially as it was high season (November). This property, whilst technically accessible and dry (I was in BKK at the time and remarked that the news was completely overblown - although one of my friends in North Bangkok did need an inflatable raft to get out of her house), was still affected by the coverage.

2012 was a clear year.

End of 2013 to Mid 2014, you had the anti-government protests, which of course were in the same area as the hotel. There were seizures of government buildings, a state of emergency declared and grenade attacks on protestors. This resulted in other governments issuing travel warnings, which would invalidate various insurances. This of course impacted hotel bookings. Then you had the coup in 2014 and the imposition of martial law - once again all over the media and with the various effects on corporate bookings, event planners and the loss of insurance coverage making package tours unviable.

The bomb yesterday was in front of the Hyatt, on the corner. There is minor damage to some of the surrounding buildings, but that hasn't stopped a wave of cancellations of bookings in all the hotels in the area and people cutting short their stay. Sure, hotels are all running normally, but if people feel uneasy, there is not much you can do about that - better safe than sorry.

In short, the media coverage has been rather overblown, imho, but there has been a significant effect on this property as well as many others in the area not just from the latest incident, but incidents nearly every year in the past five years - and it's understandable that prospective visitors will decide on plans through advice from their governments and the media, rather than assurances from people on the ground. It's just a lot of hassle and the world has a lot of alternatives.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 8:37 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Nobody said the sky is falling, but many of us have compassion for the hotel employees. I personally feel very bad that one of the employees was injured, having stayed there a few times. For the past day, I've been thinking of a couple servers at Flavors, the woman at the front desk who checked me in and spent time filling me in on the protests that had been outside the hotel a week earlier, the housekeeper who could not have been any nicer and the CL staff that was spectacular at every turn and hoping none were the injured employee. And even if it was none of them, what they must be going through having a coworker injured and guest killed, let alone having a bomb go off steps away from their workplace.

No, the sky is not falling. No, I'm not scrubbing a planned stop in Bangkok as part of an upcoming Asian trip, but I cannot help but feel empathy for the people at the Ren.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 9:54 am

Favorite Marriott Hotel in Bangkok

Which is your Favorite Marriott Hotel (not apartment) in Bangkok?

From Hotel Facilities/Rooms to Service to Breakfast/Lounge to Room Upgrades and other benefits of being a gold/platinum member.

(Hotel Name, Points Required)
Renaissance Bangkok Ratchaprasong Hotel 25000
Bangkok Marriott Hotel Sukhumvit 25000
JW Marriott Hotel Bangkok 30000
Courtyard Bangkok (no breakfast/lounge) 20000
Old Sep 25, 2015, 10:47 am

There is a big thread on hotels in BKK. Lots of good info and opinions on which is the best. This would be a good place to start.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...4-present.html

However, just a quick note to your above post. The Courtyard does have a lounge and does offer breakfast if you are gold and above or staying on the exec floor.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 8:36 pm
Suspended

which the OP could and would have known if they had first looked at Sharon's sticky.

Originally Posted by eastnortheast

However, just a quick note to your above post. The Courtyard does have a lounge and does offer breakfast if you are gold and above or staying on the exec floor.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 1:08 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond DL Platinum UA 1K, DL Gold, Marriott Gold
So much Old News in these threads. There is no city safe from maniacs with Bombs so lets put that aside.

I have just completed a 5 hight stay at the Renaissance and my thoughts:

In the midst of another wonderful stay at this property. As many mention Location is great , easy access to BTS, shopping etc.

Rooms have been kept up with the times and offer a very nice product at a reasonable price even for Bangkok.

In my humble opinion Staff and their training is the most important thing . In this regard this Hotel is just superb.

And I mean the entire staff but special kudos to the Executive Lounge where the staff goes above and beyond to make the experience special. They cannot do enough for you and of course it helps that the breakfast offered in the Lounge is superb as well night time offerings. Every staff member acknowledges your arrival and will go out of their way to help you.

When I leave here tomorrow after a 5 night stay it will be the maids, Executive Lounge Staff and Front Door Staff that will make me sorry to leave.

They offer true Thai Hospitality and I doubt even higher priced Hotels do it any better.

There are so many choices in Bangkok. There are some customers who cannot be pleased no matter what.

The overwhelming % of customers to the Renaissance are happy with the value they receive and find the location ideal. Count me as one of them!
Old Oct 6, 2015, 6:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the trip report on the Ren. Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 9:26 pm
Suspended

my problem with the Renaissance has always been that the pool is to cold.

starting today thru 05 Nov a water heating system will be installed.

won't be heat exchangers as that would have required a capital investment in HVAC during construction but hopefully the pool will finally be usable by more then polar bears!
Old Oct 16, 2015, 6:24 pm

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum
Marriott-family hotels in Bangkok, Thailand, 2014-present

I'm in a conundrum. JW Marriott seems to be great and good location (probably not going bring any lady guests back, but will probably spend some time at the bars down the street) and have a decent rate (4680 for two nights and 4400 for two nights). I see the Renaisance is now available for 3699thb/night.

Should I save my $90 and stay at the Renaisance? Everyone says it is also great and also has good access to BTS and the sites.
Old Oct 16, 2015, 7:21 pm

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
Originally Posted by bigshooter
I'm in a conundrum. JW Marriott seems to be great and good location (probably not going bring any lady guests back, but will probably spend some time at the bars down the street) and have a decent rate (4680 for two nights and 4400 for two nights). I see the Renaisance is now available for 3699thb/night.

Should I save my $90 and stay at the Renaisance? Everyone says it is also great and also has good access to BTS and the sites.
I would pay more to stay at the Ren because I prefer it, but others may disagree.

Ren is nicer and better location, IMO.

Ren treat plats very well (better than JW, in my experience)
Old Oct 17, 2015, 9:35 pm
Suspended

+1 (especially now that they're heating the pool)

Originally Posted by nachosdelux
I would pay more to stay at the Ren because I prefer it, but others may disagree.

Ren is nicer and better location, IMO.

Ren treat plats very well (better than JW, in my experience)
Old Oct 22, 2015, 6:04 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by eastnortheast
There is a big thread on hotels in BKK. Lots of good info and opinions on which is the best. This would be a good place to start.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...4-present.html

+1 for the Courtyard

AND...

You get a choice of breakfast in the lounge or in the restaurant (MOMO Cafe) which is really good. Try the eggs Benedict made with panang chicken.

AND...

The hotel is quiet, clean, close enough to the Skytrain.....

AND...

1/2 half the cost of other MAR properties

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.