Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Marquis at the Marina, San Diego [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2016, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
This property is one of the 14 exempt from offering breakfast on the weekend when the lounge is closed. The elite gets 1,000pts/day instead.

Hat tip to LoganFlyer:

"A heads up: parking is now managed by Ace Parking, which means parking charges are no longer eligible for points at this hotel."
Print Wikipost

Marriott Marquis at the Marina, San Diego [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2022, 10:49 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Plat (+LTP), VS Silver
Staying here at the moment and there’s now a M Club on the lobby level of the north tower; a definite improvement on what I remember of the old lounge.
Opening hours:
Breakfast Mon-Fri 6:30-9:00
Evening Hors d’Oeuvres and Desserts Sun-Thu 5:30-11:00
LoganFlyer likes this.

Last edited by davidw70; May 18, 2022 at 9:07 pm
Old May 18, 2022, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by davidw70
Staying her at the moment and there’s now a M Club on the lobby level of the north tower; a definite improvement on what I remember of the old lounge.
Opening hours:
Breakfast Mon-Fri 6:30-9:00
Evening Hors d’Oeuvres and Desserts Sun-Thu 5:30-11:00
Any other notable details on your stay regarding the property would be appreciated. Also, still no breakfast welcome gift option I assume?
Old May 18, 2022, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by hindolio
Any other notable details on your stay regarding the property would be appreciated. Also, still no breakfast welcome gift option I assume?
every marriott property has a welcome gift option.. what this is varies amongst brands so I would review the wiki or the listings of what the options are.
Old May 18, 2022, 9:06 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Plat (+LTP), VS Silver
Upgrade from city view to bay view. Welcome gift was points - not sure there was any alternative.
Old May 18, 2022, 9:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
still no breakfast welcome gift option I assume?
Breakfast is not a welcome gift option at Marriott branded non-resort properties in the US, Canada, and Europe. The options are 1000 points or $10 F&B credit. You get restaurant breakfast if the lounge is closed. This property used to give restaurant chits if you complained about how crowded the lounge was. No idea if they still do.
Old May 23, 2022, 2:05 pm

Programs: Marriott, United, Jetblue
Had a 5 night stay in April, upgraded as a lifetime platinum from standard city view room to a corner room with a balcony in the north tower on a high floor. M Club Lounge breakfast consisted of yogurt, pastries, cereal, scrambled eggs and coffee along with Starbucks served coffee. Pool and Gym were open. Location is good for walking to Gaslamp District and Petco Park.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 1:14 am

Saw some reviews that mentioned construction or remodel at this hotel. Is that work complete? Their room photos show a couple rooms that appear to be remodeled and many that look like the old style, but can't tell what is current.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by sizzlersam
Saw some reviews that mentioned construction or remodel at this hotel. Is that work complete? Their room photos show a couple rooms that appear to be remodeled and many that look like the old style, but can't tell what is current.
I was just there last week. Seems there is still remodeling going on. Top 3 floors of the North Tower looked to be unoccupied and being worked on, as viewed from South Tower balcony.
I was in the South Tower though, so can't comment on any noise / disruptions.

Don't think my room was recently remodeled, though mostly in pretty good shape. Great view from upgraded room, corner location. Some pics

One unusual thing - received a wide assortment of toiletry brands over the course of an 8 night stay. I would guess sourcing / availability issues....or costs.
M Club closed on the weekends.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 1:08 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
That's the old decor. I always liked the rooms here, particularly the harbor view balcony kings in the north tower.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 1:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Staying here on points on Sunday night- the only night in the next few weeks that a 40k room was available. I applied an SNA I have expiring at the end of the month so will see if an upgrade comes thru.
Old Oct 7, 2022, 2:57 pm

What’s the best approach to getting the destination fee removed for an Ambassador member and what reasoning do you suggest one provide? Thank you

Originally Posted by SummitBars
The Marquis is a great property before covid. Near Gas Lamp District, awesome pool and fitness center, good food choices. Destination Fee can get waived for Titaniums and Ambassadors if you ask for a high level mgr. There are always exceptions. Regardless, claiming a SpringHill Suites is better than a Marquis all because you didn't like a destination fee is ridiculous.
Old Oct 25, 2022, 3:07 pm

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Overall, I had a very nice weekday stay here (Sunday night to Monday), and I would recommend the property during the week. However, due to the breakfast exempt status and the closed lounge on weekends, I think there are better value properties in San Diego for weekend stays (such as the Westin Gaslamp). Still, for a sold-out property full of convention-goers (multiple appeared to be hosted at the hotel on the same day), it felt like they had their operations down pretty well. Here are my pros, cons, and photos:

Note on Renovations: At least, some floors of the South Tower are still being renovated (based on the view looking up into the windows), and I'm not sure if there are still some unrenovated floors. According to the club staff, the whole North Tower is renovated now.

Pros:
  • Despite being fully sold out online, I was informed at check-in that I was upgraded to an Executive Suite with a bay view before I could ask or inquire
  • Executive Suite was attractively renovated with lots of furniture and great views towards the bay, city, and North Tower (note that these suites are the only rooms in the South Tower with balconies)
  • Bed was quite comfortable with plush pillows and a plush mattress - covers weren't the thickest, but it's San Diego and the soft linens kept me comfortable
  • Shower (appeared to be the only original part of the room) had nice pressure
  • Internet TV OS
  • Brought up a welcome gift of waters, M&Ms, and crackers
  • Was able to get a late checkout of 1 PM (obviously a convention hotel) and a lounge access keycard to finish my meetings that afternoon in the M Club after checkout
  • Service attitudes were quite friendly - asking about my travels, etc
  • M Club was actually quite nice - tasty evening service options (spicy chicken wings, delicious dulce de leche cheesecake), and pretty good breakfast (absolutely wonderful cinnamon rolls + scrambled eggs and bacon)
  • M Club service was also quite friendly - one of the evening attendants came up to ask me about my travels, how I liked my room, where home was, etc.
  • Destination fee includes $15 F&B nightly credit - relatively tasty breakfast sandwich at the Exchange Market I had as an early lunch
Cons:
  • Really small bar of hand soap - perhaps, this is an environmental choice, which would make sense to reduce waste?
  • Towels should be updated - one out of three was pretty small (the one that wasn't Marriott-branded)
  • Noise isolation both inside (water pipes in surrounding rooms) and outside (through balcony doors) could have been improved - though didn't bother my sleep
Overall, I felt like this was a great choice, and the M Club definitely seemed above average for the US.

Photos:

LoganFlyer, DELee and nexus7556 like this.
Old Oct 25, 2022, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
Did the room get very warm in the late afternoon?

David
Old Oct 25, 2022, 5:24 pm

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Originally Posted by DELee
Did the room get very warm in the late afternoon?

David
The bedroom AC seemed to be more effective at keeping the afternoon cool compared to the living room with the larger space and more direct window. Though, neither were uncomfortable.
nexus7556 likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2022, 8:47 am

The M Club here is way too small. There's regularly a line to get in when the property is busy. If this is one of the best in the US, that's just a very sad comment on Marriott lounges.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.