FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Marriott Marquis at the Marina, San Diego [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1628137-marriott-marquis-marina-san-diego-master-thread.html)

linsj Nov 12, 2014 10:49 am

Marriott Marquis at the Marina, San Diego [Master Thread]

Had a one-night stay here this week as a gold.

Check-in has a separate area for elite members. I arrived before noon on a day that lots of people were coming for a convention. With three people working the elite desk, check-in went quickly, and I was pleased to be able to get into my room that early. A man was distributing cold bottles of water to us in that area.

Was upgraded to a high room with a view of the marina, Coronado Island, and sunset. The king room was large with a mini refrigerator and love seat. Bathroom was also large with a shower big enough for two people.

Entry to the concierge lounge is coded on key card. Evening hors-d'oeuvres were substantial enough for a light supper, saving me money. Breakfast included scrambled eggs and sausage, as well as breads, muffins, cut and whole fruit, juices, and coffee. Cups and lids next to the pop machine make taking a drink to go convenient. The lounge was not crowded either time I was there.

USA Today was delivered to my door in the morning. Free faster internet (for elites) was, indeed, fast with no connection dropping.

The location is good for walking around the marina. Seaport Village next door has plenty of restaurants and stores. I had a sea bass dinner at the Edgewater Grill for under $20 that was fabulous.

Quick, easy walk to Coronado ferry from here, even with a suitcase.

joshua362 Nov 12, 2014 11:07 am

This property treats elites very well during my 3 convention stays there over the last 7 years. Lounge is adequate, only ding was cutting off breakfast at 9.

boss315 Nov 12, 2014 11:35 am

Originally Posted by joshua362 (Post 23831542)
This property treats elites very well during my 3 convention stays there over the last 7 years. Lounge is adequate, only ding was cutting off breakfast at 9.

agreed.the early bfast cutoff is sort of strange in a resort and convention town! I find that elites are treated very weel in comparison to other SD properties...stay here 10-12 times a year.

sanfran8080 Nov 14, 2014 8:12 am

Marriott Marquis at the Marina, San Diego

Place has a GREAT pool. The drinks r very pricey but you will love the view.

fivevsone Nov 23, 2014 2:30 pm

We always sit around the firepits at night. My favorite place to stay in SD.

lucycan Nov 23, 2014 6:35 pm

Several threads on this topic in this forum. I'm not sure I'd say they treat Plats "great" but every once in a while I get an upgrade.

DrinkingCoffee Jun 9, 2015 4:09 pm

Staying there this weekend. I hope this is a "they treat Plats great" visit!

escapefromphl Jun 9, 2015 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by DrinkingCoffee (Post 24944900)
Staying there this weekend. I hope this is a "they treat Plats great" visit!

Having stayed at both properties more than once, my experience is they treat Plats much better down the road at the San Diego Marriott Gaslamp Quarter.

darthbimmer Jun 9, 2015 9:46 pm

I've stayed at the Marquis a few times on trips to San Diego. It's tough because their price is often too far above other hotels in the area to justify with my employer. Or my wife. ;) But IMO some price premium is deserved. The front desk staff have impressed me every time I've visited. The rooms are sizable, and as a Plat they've always given me an upgrade to a high room with a balcony. Last time I was there I scored an upgrade to an amazing suite. I would always pick this property over the Marriott Gaslamp (which I've also stayed at a few times) unless the latter were substantially cheaper.

DJ_Iceman Jun 9, 2015 10:38 pm

I just have to throw in my two cents that the Gaslamp Marriott has been a superior property for me, including my elite upgrades. I've always felt that the Marina Marriott is a typical (though admittedly well-run) huge Marriott, while the Gaslamp is a hidden gem in the Marriott system--a boutique-type hotel that treats me well, checks all the boxes and then some, and is significantly smaller than the behemoth just down the street. I love the trendy rooftop bar, have had countless REALLY good meals in the lobby restaurant, and just get treated really well every time I stay.

darthbimmer Jun 11, 2015 12:36 am

Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman (Post 24946416)
I just have to throw in my two cents that the Gaslamp Marriott has been a superior property for me, including my elite upgrades. I've always felt that the Marina Marriott is a typical (though admittedly well-run) huge Marriott, while the Gaslamp is a hidden gem in the Marriott system--a boutique-type hotel that treats me well, checks all the boxes and then some, and is significantly smaller than the behemoth just down the street. I love the trendy rooftop bar, have had countless REALLY good meals in the lobby restaurant, and just get treated really well every time I stay.

Wow. My stays there have all been "meh". Meh food, meh service, meh upgrades. Evidently I've been doing it wrong! Any tips for how to get the best from the Marriott Gaslamp?

sanfran8080 Jun 11, 2015 9:02 am

Marriott Marquis at the Marina, San Diego

The Gaslamp doesn't have a pool and the Marquis have a resort style one... Let's just say the atmosphere is a lot better on the eyes.

danola Jun 12, 2015 10:42 am

Originally Posted by darthbimmer (Post 24952569)
Wow. My stays there have all been "meh". Meh food, meh service, meh upgrades. Evidently I've been doing it wrong! Any tips for how to get the best from the Marriott Gaslamp?

Finally, somebody that has doubts about this place, I have stayed as a Silver, Gold and Platinum and was treated better as a Silver when you expect nothing and get something than as a Platinum when you expect something and get nothing. Average room, great views, very crowded Lounge with hardly a place to sit. It's a great property that needs to recognize who butters their bread.

jed012788 Jun 12, 2015 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by danola (Post 24960373)
It's a great property that needs to recognize who butters their bread.

I think it does recognize who butters its bread. Therefore, they don't fawn over "elites."

(I'm a platinum, and the Gaslamp is one of my favorite domestic properties in the system. I also don't make judgments based on "elite" benefits.)

zippy the pinhead Jun 18, 2015 10:34 pm

Stayed here as a Gold, for a conference. First time at this property.

They put me in the South Tower on a high floor with a city view. Happily I brought ear plugs, as I tend to sleep lightly and there is constant noise from the city streets (rail crossing claxon, cars, sirens) which can be sleep-imparing. There is construction in progress right next to the North Tower. It is noisy, but I have not heard it from the room.

I came down here on the Amtrak, so I can't speak to parking.

Regarding the beer, the Marina Kitchen Restaurant & Bar had Go To IPA (Stone) and Sculpin IPA (Ballast Point), so I can't complain about that.

Concierge Lounge (24th floor, South Tower) has iffy appetizer foods-- one night, Chicken Gyoza, cheese, crackers, bread; another, Beef Empanadas, cheese, crackers, bread-- but beautiful views of the harbor. I sat looking at sunsets, enjoying the view. The Reagan (CVN 76) and a couple other sizable ships are currently in port. The lounge was crowded when I was there, but lots of staff were constantly patrolling, picking up plates, etc. The best part of the lounge experience is definitely the view.

Regarding restaurants, I did a couple of meals at Roy's (adjacent to the hotel pool). Decent food, if not pricey. Lousy beer list. I came down with a fresh pint of Go To and a hostess told me that I needed to finish it immediately. I politely demurred and had it with my meal anyway. It seemed to me that they should be more polite in light of their prices.

Concierge Breakfast is being run in the lobby of the North Tower. I'd say it is comparable to the free breakfast you get many places... Embassy Suites, et al. After trying it once I went out for breakfast ever after.

A positive could be the proximity to the Gaslamp Quarter, if that appeals to you. Many restaurants within walking distance.