Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Marquis at the Marina, San Diego [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2016, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
This property is one of the 14 exempt from offering breakfast on the weekend when the lounge is closed. The elite gets 1,000pts/day instead.

Hat tip to LoganFlyer:

"A heads up: parking is now managed by Ace Parking, which means parking charges are no longer eligible for points at this hotel."
Print Wikipost

Marriott Marquis at the Marina, San Diego [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2015, 1:08 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
We're only staying 2 nights and like to stay on-site for breakfast so Starbucks and the Marina Kitchen sound fine. And glad to know about the parking situation, too, glad we have valet parking as part of a package we booked.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
We're only staying 2 nights and like to stay on-site for breakfast so Starbucks and the Marina Kitchen sound fine. And glad to know about the parking situation, too, glad we have valet parking as part of a package we booked.
Hate to tell you, but unless you trust someone else to carefully park your car more than yourself in a very confined narrow dim-lit space, the valets are battling for the exact same tiny spaces, with about 8 ft to back up before hitting the concrete wall, with cross traffic going both ways (and the valets running all around). Only difference is they roll down your window and yell to some guy sitting in a little booth to open up their parking exit swingarm, self-parks have to drive the other way and exit over by the Hilton by Petco, thus the cross traffic in a narrow lane designed for one way traffic (and not F350's). They really should convert the whole thing to all valet. In any event I'd take pictures of your whole car before you valet it there knowing the parking conditions they will be facing, plus the fact that us self park cheapskates looking to save $4 will be backing in our Suburbans 12inches on either side of your valeted car.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 1:48 am

Great. I'll be sure to pick a beater from the rental car lot.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 10:59 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Previous stays here have been great, but have not stayed in about 2 years. I will be staying next week for 1 night for my wife's 60th birthday. Will see how things go. Booked a AAA package that includes valet parking and a Bay View Room. I was thinking of calling a day ahead of time to see if I can get an upgrade. Once had a great corner room that was larger than normal with a view of the bay and Coronado.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 11:29 am

That's the same AAA deal I got, holocker, I'll be very interested in your experience. It was even better than the Senior rate.

Happy Birthday to your wife!
Old Aug 27, 2015, 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Great. I'll be sure to pick a beater from the rental car lot.
Hope you're not renting from National / Alamo at the airport. Back in 2010 I rented from there a few times, and subsequently my profile for expedited rentals was used for a very extended rental / theft. Took me over a year to semi-clear up through the police and Alamo's joke of a fraud department. About a year later I received a letter permanently barring me from ever renting from Alamo again since I did a chargeback on the charges for the stolen car.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 2:26 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by chuzzlewit
Hope you're not renting from National / Alamo at the airport. Back in 2010 I rented from there a few times, and subsequently my profile for expedited rentals was used for a very extended rental / theft. Took me over a year to semi-clear up through the police and Alamo's joke of a fraud department. About a year later I received a letter permanently barring me from ever renting from Alamo again since I did a chargeback on the charges for the stolen car.
Wow! I wonder if that was the fault of the local outlet, I know dealing with National corporate can be a bit difficult until you make some threats or pushbacks (over charges, extra days tacked on, etc.). I only say because in 2010 I asked someone at this lot if I could be complementary upgraded to a convertible and a manager ran around and around until he found one for me at no extra cost for an entire week!
Old Aug 29, 2015, 5:48 pm

chuzzlewit, something similar happened to me with Thrifty in Tampa...returned the car, went home, 2 weeks later got a nasty phone message that we had NOT returned the car, they would pursue criminal car theft charges against us, but "if you think you have received this message in error", go on-line with all your receipt numbers, etc., which I did, also called several times...FINALLY they admitted that "Tampa had been slow processing their paperwork" - ...? You treat me like a criminal because YOU were slow?

But in San Diego, again with Thrifty, rented a "compact" and was given a Chevy Spark, told "that WAS the compact car" - I asked then what the heck is the Economy...was given a nonsensical answer but basically told "tough, that is our compact"...

So no car rental company has the corner on being A-H's.

In San Diego this time I've rented through Costco with a Budget car, can't wait to see what disasters befall this one.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 8:40 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Just completed my 1 night stay here and will not return due to the horrendous parking situation. On the side where the self parking lot was they are doing an expansion, so the self parking is under the convention center and a far walk. I used valet parking and when I left my car at check in was told to call 10 minutes in advance for my car. I called at 6:05 PM and was told 10 minutes. I went down in 10 minutes and after waiting 20 minutes was told it will be right out. After 30 minutes still no car. After 35 minutes I went to valet desk and was told it would be up in 2 minutes, which was right after I saw a valet with my keys go and get the car. At least if it will take 30 minutes tell me when I call. At check out I was again told 10 minutes and this time almost 20 minutes. At check out I know there were only 2 valets on duty not sure how many at night. When I picked up my car and returned it I was told my valet parking would be comped and when I checked out it was not. When I mentioned it I was told since it was part of the package there was nothing they can do.
You know something is wrong when the valet manager and the bellman both tell me to complain to the hotel manager that they need more valet staff. I mentioned this at check out and I did not get to speak to the manager.

Like others have mentioned the Elite breakfast is in a ballroom. Was told this was just for the summer. Eggs and sausage, fruit, breads, and a few pastries, along with coffee, tea, and juices. At night the concierge offerings were artichoke cheese poppers, some salad fixings, hummus, and potato chips, and cheese and crackers. Did not make it back for dessert but was told it is brownies every night. During the day they did have some canisters of dried fruit, pretzels, and peanuts out all day. This was also the only concierge lounge I have been to that had a soda dispenser and water dispenser so no bottled water or soda cans.

I love this property due to the location, pools, and great gym but will not return unless I know the hotel is basically empty or I do not have a car.
Old Sep 5, 2015, 8:13 am

Programs: WN 3 Million Miler, MR Lifetime Titanium, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, AA Silver, United never again
Staying at the Marquis now. The CL is as bad as advertised. Amazed that the manager doesn't ensure that the CL is staffed and refreshed occasionally. Moving the breakfast seating for elites down to the main lobby is smart on their part, and the hotels attracts hundreds of elites on holidays.

Breakfast if basic fare, food service scrambles eggs, a meat, pastries and fresh fruit. The hotel breakfast buffet is $27. On the good side our extended family of 4 is allowed entry with no complaints from the staff.

Do get to the CL early. It goes until 9:30 (not 9:00 am) and is packed the last 30 minutes.

Our room is small and OK, no Presidential Suite upgrades for us, and we overlook the marina as does half the hotel. Last nights fireworks as seen from the 17th floor were excellent.

The hotel is completely sold out, parking is atrocious and a shuttle from the airport is highly recommended. FWIW, Coronado Island is also packed. If we wanted peace and quiet and a cheaper rate we would have stayed in Temecula or Tijuana.

Overall, family has decided that this is one of the best vacation spots we have chosen. Probably due to the location in downtown San Diego.
Old Sep 5, 2015, 10:07 am

What was the occasion for the fireworks?
Old Sep 5, 2015, 6:13 pm

Programs: WN 3 Million Miler, MR Lifetime Titanium, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, AA Silver, United never again
The International Festival of Sail I think.

http://sdmaritime.org/visit/public-e...tival-of-sail/

There are sailing ships all over the harbor, and a couple seem to be holding mock cannonball fights.

With the Dodgers in town to play the Padres, the downtown area is packed.

Coronado Island was not as packed as I expected but we stayed at the beach near the Hotel del Coronado.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 8:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Wonder if they get Marriott points?

"Seventy thousand bees now call the rooftop of the Marriott Marquis home. Urban beekeeping was implemented at the Marriott Marquis in an effort to reduce the property’s carbon footprint and promote the conservation of local nature. Local beekeepers tend to the hives each week, which allows the property to produce its own honey and pollen, which is in turn used throughout its restaurants and catering menus. Some of the honey-inspired fare includes Honeycomb Harvest Cream Ale, which is a locally-sourced craft beer made in collaboration with Monkey Paw Pub & Brewery and brewed with the organic, raw honey from the rooftop of the Marriott."
Old Sep 23, 2015, 8:47 am

Where's the closest field of clover to waterfront San Diego?
Old May 23, 2016, 3:52 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
A heads up: parking is now managed by Ace Parking, which means parking charges are no longer eligible for points at this hotel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.