Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Marquis at the Marina, San Diego [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2016, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
This property is one of the 14 exempt from offering breakfast on the weekend when the lounge is closed. The elite gets 1,000pts/day instead.

Hat tip to LoganFlyer:

"A heads up: parking is now managed by Ace Parking, which means parking charges are no longer eligible for points at this hotel."
Print Wikipost

Marriott Marquis at the Marina, San Diego [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2015, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If I recall correctly the Roy's prices are similar to other, non-hotel affiliated Roy's. And they are not BYOB type places.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 11:23 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Originally Posted by darthbimmer
Wow. My stays there have all been "meh". Meh food, meh service, meh upgrades. Evidently I've been doing it wrong! Any tips for how to get the best from the Marriott Gaslamp?
Not really! My first stay there (admittedly as a Platinum Premier), when I checked in they noted my status and upgraded me to their largest suite on the top floor. Since then I've just requested the same when my virtual concierge e-mail comes in, and have always gotten it. As for Soleil@k, food is so subjective but I have to tell you that it's probably my favorite Marriott breakfast worldwide, and I've never had a bad dinner there either. Both the wine and beer lists are impressive. And our service has always been Ritz-Carlton caliber: attentive but not overbearing, professional, knowledgeable, friendly, and prompt.

As for tips... smile? Be friendly? I don't know--I just have gotten stellar treatment at this Marriott every single time, which has to be approaching 20 stays now over the past several years.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by darthbimmer
Wow. My stays there have all been "meh". Meh food, meh service, meh upgrades. Evidently I've been doing it wrong! Any tips for how to get the best from the Marriott Gaslamp?
Just spent 2 nights there (Marquis) and really felt like the concierge lounge was more like a cattle call than something pleasant.
Arrived around 4pm Sunday and happy to see the sign saying the lounge would open at 5pm for hors d'oeurves at 5:30, so far so good, but that's about where it ended. We went at 5:15pm, and couldn't even open the door since the line for nothing was already queued up halfway across the lounge with nearly every table taken. We turned left and found one remaining available table and sat there thinking we'd wait for the food to be put out and the line to subside. Well that never happened, there was a constant stream of people entering and standing in line since there were no seats. By 6:15 some of us finally stood in the line, and the only thing left was some moldy cheese and crackers (all fruit was gone). Basically a worthless frustrating experience. Next morning there was a sign out saying the Concierge breakfast was downstairs in the north tower ballroom. Got to the ballroom door and the lady asked our name. Since she'd couldn't find it, I stepped over to help and couldn't believe the list was seriously at least 400-500 other "elites"! 3 pages long, small font. In fact their were 4 parties with our same last name (we have a common last name but wow). Basically what seats weren't occupied had dirty empty dishes and dirty tableclothes. A steady stream of "elites" filed through while we managed to snag a couple of pcs of fruit and some watery scrambled eggs. It was truly a fiasco, so bad in fact we skipped the free breakfast the next day and just checked out early. I'd say the CL and perks wasn't worth any more the a tiny boost to a person's self esteem thinking they are getting something for free.
All this for 35K points a night. I recently stayed at a 10K pts per night Townplace that was actually much better.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 7:42 pm
Suspended

Marriott Marquis at the Marina, San Diego

A typical day at the Marquis
Old Aug 21, 2015, 1:40 am

Programs: MileagePlus - Gold
Originally Posted by chuzzlewit
Just spent 2 nights there (Marquis) and really felt like the concierge lounge was more like a cattle call than something pleasant.
Arrived around 4pm Sunday and happy to see the sign saying the lounge would open at 5pm for hors d'oeurves at 5:30, so far so good, but that's about where it ended. We went at 5:15pm, and couldn't even open the door since the line for nothing was already queued up halfway across the lounge with nearly every table taken. We turned left and found one remaining available table and sat there thinking we'd wait for the food to be put out and the line to subside. Well that never happened, there was a constant stream of people entering and standing in line since there were no seats. By 6:15 some of us finally stood in the line, and the only thing left was some moldy cheese and crackers (all fruit was gone). Basically a worthless frustrating experience. Next morning there was a sign out saying the Concierge breakfast was downstairs in the north tower ballroom. Got to the ballroom door and the lady asked our name. Since she'd couldn't find it, I stepped over to help and couldn't believe the list was seriously at least 400-500 other "elites"! 3 pages long, small font. In fact their were 4 parties with our same last name (we have a common last name but wow). Basically what seats weren't occupied had dirty empty dishes and dirty tableclothes. A steady stream of "elites" filed through while we managed to snag a couple of pcs of fruit and some watery scrambled eggs. It was truly a fiasco, so bad in fact we skipped the free breakfast the next day and just checked out early. I'd say the CL and perks wasn't worth any more the a tiny boost to a person's self esteem thinking they are getting something for free.
All this for 35K points a night. I recently stayed at a 10K pts per night Townplace that was actually much better.
This was my experience as well. The lounge was really a terribly chaotic experience, filled with people trying to eat their way to a free dinner. "Elite" breakfast was held in a conference space with no widows and round conference dinner tables. Food was mediocre. Perhaps the saving grace was the fresh cut fruit. Really a poor experience. Lots to like about the hotel in general (walks on the Marina, close to conference center, etc) but the benefits for elites are poor in my opinion.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 4:23 pm

Agree the fresh fruit was crisp and fresh, but that is pretty consistent wherever you are. The going internet rate for the concierge level was $399 those nights, I'd be pretty disappointed honestly if I had paid much more than $100 (considering the parking fee and taxes, etc). Plus I'm pretty sure most of the elevators were broken, we got the same one 95% of the time, spent probably ~an hour over a day and a half waiting for and riding the same dumb elevator stopping on almost every floor. Oh well Marriott marquis, you've devalued your rewards almost to the level of Hilton which I've already completely given up on a few years ago.
Old Aug 22, 2015, 9:42 am

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
None of those things are problems at the Gaslamp Marriott!
Old Aug 23, 2015, 10:40 am

Programs: UA 1.5MM 1K, AA EXP, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime
No joke, this MM Marina room we are in right now is by far the best in 20 years with Marriott (and I've been in alot of suites all over the world with them). Laying in bed right now wishing I could extend a few more days in room 2540 at the MM Marina; been here for the past three nights. South Tower Presidential Suite. Suite spans 2 floors with an enclosed teakwood staircase. Across all the different rooms - 5 flat screen tvs (two additional in the master bath mirrors), 7 seats at the bar/lounge adjacent to the balcony, dining room for 10, 2 separate sitting rooms one large, one small, an office, balcony with seats for 6, huge rain shower in master bath, soaker/jet tub with windows overlooking the bay. Whine all you want about the executive lounge. If I need a bagel, I'll go to starbucks. This hotel has been great - far better than I was ever treated at Gaslamp. It's good (and truly grateful) to be Platinum.

Last edited by daberlin; Aug 23, 2015 at 10:47 am
Old Aug 23, 2015, 5:07 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
What are the options for breakfast at the Marina if you do not want to go the CL route? Starbucks? Full buffet? Nice non-descript place to order bacon and eggs?

CL does not sound like a fun experience.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
What are the options for breakfast at the Marina if you do not want to go the CL route? Starbucks? Full buffet? Nice non-descript place to order bacon and eggs?

There is a Pancake House restaurant within walking distance. Not an "Original Pancake House," but owned by someone else. Still, what I had was decent, though you ought to go early if you don't care to stand in line.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 6:26 pm

Programs: DL GM, Marriott PP, Avis Something or other
There is a Broken Yolk in the Gaslamp, about a 7 minute walk from the Marquis.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 7:25 am
Suspended

Marriott Marquis at the Marina, San Diego

Just call a manager and if ur a a platinum they will cough up some points. It's an ongoing problem. The design of the CL is a constant problem and I'm sure they r aware of it.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 8:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by daberlin
No joke, this MM Marina room we are in right now is by far the best in 20 years with Marriott (and I've been in alot of suites all over the world with them). Laying in bed right now wishing I could extend a few more days in room 2540 at the MM Marina; been here for the past three nights. South Tower Presidential Suite. Suite spans 2 floors with an enclosed teakwood staircase. Across all the different rooms - 5 flat screen tvs (two additional in the master bath mirrors), 7 seats at the bar/lounge adjacent to the balcony, dining room for 10, 2 separate sitting rooms one large, one small, an office, balcony with seats for 6, huge rain shower in master bath, soaker/jet tub with windows overlooking the bay. Whine all you want about the executive lounge. If I need a bagel, I'll go to starbucks. This hotel has been great - far better than I was ever treated at Gaslamp. It's good (and truly grateful) to be Platinum.
Well if it was the norm for folk to get upgraded to the Prez Suite they probably wouldn't complain too much about the exec lounge either. But it's not the norm - and the exec lounge situation is a problem, so complaints are valid.

Cheers.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Well if it was the norm for folk to get upgraded to the Prez Suite they probably wouldn't complain too much about the exec lounge either. But it's not the norm - and the exec lounge situation is a problem, so complaints are valid.

Cheers.
Unless your last name happens to be Obama, most elites did not get upgraded to the Prez Suite and are stuck in at most what would be considered an average room with a good view. The normal CL rooms are actually probably some of the smallest I have ever stayed in, matching the tiny parking spaces in the completely inadequate parking garage the Marquis runs. When it fills to capacity which is pretty much every afternoon, they just stick out a "No Parking" sign which creates havoc for those who can't figure out to park in the adjacent convention center lot, and try to back out against the flow of traffic. Sorry, but this hotel just isn't worth all the hassles. A couple of times while waiting in the elite check in line, I noticed the line for regular folks was actually non-existent.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 11:29 pm

Programs: MileagePlus - Gold
Originally Posted by Eujeanie

The first floor restaurant, Marina Kitchen, was fine for dinner. I'm assuming they have much better quality breakfast options compared to the CL.

There is Starbucks in the hotel, but the line can be long. There is a "quick stop" type of deli-like shop that probably has breakfast items as well (but I'm not sure).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.