Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Excelsior Hotel Gallia, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Milan, Italy [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 6, 2021, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dgreen12
Per post #139, email addresses for this hotel are:
Print Wikipost

Excelsior Hotel Gallia, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Milan, Italy [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2016, 6:09 pm

Programs: EX˛-*wood platinum, EX-hyatt diamond, sixt platinum, hilton silver, leaders club, esselunga verde...
Originally Posted by UrbanDweller
Chad, it looks like you had wood floors in your suite. That's nice! I was in a non-suite room (Excelsior) and it had carpeting. Maybe all of the suites have wood floors? I still think about this hotel a lot even though it's been nearly a year since the trip. It was so beautiful. Didn't you think the public areas were gorgeous? The people who did the interior design did such a great job mixing materials and colors.
If I remember correctly both of the two suites I have stayed do have wood on the floors.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 6:16 pm

Programs: EX˛-*wood platinum, EX-hyatt diamond, sixt platinum, hilton silver, leaders club, esselunga verde...
Originally Posted by chad75
Had a great stay over the New Year Period in an Atelier Suite. Although the suite itself was relatively small and not much like the description it was really nice and extremely comfortable. Also on a seven night booking on a hot escapes rate it was a very generous and gracious upgrade which was very much appreciated. Also enjoyed the great view from the room over the station.

Various different amenities were also constantly being brought to the room

Attention to detail within the room from everything from the doorhandles up was great. The windows also fully opened which is a minor issue that is important to me.

Over seven nights had plenty of chances to test out the various bars on several occasions - both bars get my tick of approval - highly recommend the "Italian Mule" made with a local gin.

Also had a meal at the Restaurant on the seventh floor. Very nice and at around 90 euro a head (excluding drinks) not mind blowingly expensive.

Every other hotel service worked flawlessly: room service, laundry, shoe shine, car service etc all perfect.

Hotel quoted 190 Euro for airport pickup - so ended using blacklane for just over 110 euro.

Really very happy with this hotel.
Seems to be a X22 on a higher floor.

+ 1 for the Bars and the Restaurant " la terrazza " and the Hotel per se!!!
Old Jan 18, 2016, 6:42 pm

Programs: UA 1/MM SPG gold, CEO: Grandmother of 4
Has any one used the train from MXP to the Excelisior Hotel? I will be going October 2016 and used the train before, but that was many years ago and did not stay there. As usual, I will be traveling alone and being a mature woman(getting more and more mature) , hoping it is still safe. Looking forward to staying there. Does any one how far the hotel is from the Prada Art Complex? Thanks
Old Jan 18, 2016, 11:47 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat. WOH Glob. SQ Gold
Originally Posted by UrbanDweller
Chad, it looks like you had wood floors in your suite. That's nice! I was in a non-suite room (Excelsior) and it had carpeting. Maybe all of the suites have wood floors? I still think about this hotel a lot even though it's been nearly a year since the trip. It was so beautiful. Didn't you think the public areas were gorgeous? The people who did the interior design did such a great job mixing materials and colors.
Yes wood floors in my suite - much prefer wood floors personally.
Originally Posted by Forstbetrieb
Seems to be a X22 on a higher floor.

+ 1 for the Bars and the Restaurant " la terrazza " and the Hotel per se!!!
You do know everything about this Hotel. Room 622.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 4:14 am

Originally Posted by steppie
Has any one used the train from MXP to the Excelisior Hotel? I will be going October 2016 and used the train before, but that was many years ago and did not stay there. As usual, I will be traveling alone and being a mature woman(getting more and more mature) , hoping it is still safe. Looking forward to staying there. Does any one how far the hotel is from the Prada Art Complex? Thanks
I take sometimes the train from malpensa to milan and back, everytime when I don't want to use the car while staying at the sheraton malpensa. Take the train to stazione centrale and not to stazione cadorna. Easy ride. Roundabout 55 min. It is safe.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 5:03 am

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
The train is fine and though there may be some sketchy types around the station it is pretty safe. The Fondazione Prada is on the other side of the center of Milan and looks to be about 15 to 20 minutes in a cab.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 4:18 pm

thanks for info on train.......
what about using Uber (Uberpop) for getting around Milan?
Any one use it? I am so pleased with Uber that I am thinking about giving up my car since I live in the city in Chicago. Just came back from LA and used it all over. Nice not to drive in that area.

Last edited by steppie; Jan 23, 2016 at 9:46 pm Reason: spelling
Old Jan 23, 2016, 7:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
thanks for info on train.......
what about using Uber (Uberpop) for getting around Milan?
Any one use it? I am so pleased with Uber that I am thinking about giving up my car since I live in the city in Chicago. Just came back form LA and used it all over. Nice not to drive in that area.
The Milanese taxi drivers forced Uber to stop Uberpop...I used it a bit during the brief period when it was available, and my drivers asked me to sit in front to avoid harassment. So the only Uber in Milan (and Paris) is black car service.

I occasionally use the ItTaxi app when I cannot find a cab at a stand. It calls any number of cab companies but of course they start charging when they accept the trip, which is ridiculous.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 9:45 pm

thanks ckendall, good to know!

Last edited by steppie; Jan 23, 2016 at 9:46 pm Reason: spelling
Old Jan 24, 2016, 4:12 am

Sorry I don't use uber, but whatsabout using the hotel courtesy car?!...

At least oneway should be possible.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by Forstbetrieb
Sorry I don't use uber, but whatsabout using the hotel courtesy car?!...

At least oneway should be possible.
Thats probably what I will do.
Old Jan 30, 2016, 2:18 pm

Just arrived for a short, one-night stay. Got to the hotel via Malpensa Express to Centrale Station. A very easy few minutes walk to the hotel across the street.

Arrived just before 10:00am, and was informed that I had been upgraded to one o the Atelier Suites, but the room would not be ready until lunch time. I was fine with that since I had a meeting at the Armani Hotel anyway. Upon hearing that, the gentleman who checked me in immediately offered me a complimentary car to hotel guests (for trips to the city centre or the vicinity). It turned out that car was a Maserati (do not know what model).

Got back at 3:30pm, and got the keycard to my room. The suite is really stunning. The design is similar to the Prince de Galles in Paris, but I would give the Excelsior Gallia the edge. So brand new and modern, and all design elements tastefully done. I particularly liked the dining area.

The check in staff, the bellman, and the Concierge were very, very friendly, and I commend them for their enthusiasm and professionalism displayed. Certainly made me feel like a very welcomed guest.

I had dinner at the Gallia Bar & Lounge in the evening. Food was very good, and service was outstanding. Once again, kudos to the staff.

It is a pity that my stay is only one night.

During my previous trips to Milan, I had always stayed at the Park Hyatt, but I am seriously thinking of moving over to the Excelsior Gallia to be my hotel of choice.
travelista likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 6:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
Thanks for the trip report. Yes pity that you're only there for one night. The real pity, however, is that much of this experience likely goes away when Marriott gets their claws into *wood.

I've long said that the hotels in Italy are absolutely amazingly managed and, for me, the prime reason I sleep in the hotel beds that I do. Those Starwood managers likely will be long gone...they take too good of care of their guests.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 7:07 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by dingo
Thanks for the trip report. Yes pity that you're only there for one night. The real pity, however, is that much of this experience likely goes away when Marriott gets their claws into *wood.

I've long said that the hotels in Italy are absolutely amazingly managed and, for me, the prime reason I sleep in the hotel beds that I do. Those Starwood managers likely will be long gone...they take too good of care of their guests.
Marriott is acquiring Starwood staff as part of the management contracts. So while the processes might change, the nature of service or personnel in the various brands shouldn't be changing much if at all. Especially in a brand like Luxury Collection, which almost ubiquitously is managed by the property ownership's staff and not Starwood staff, anyway.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 3:11 am

Originally Posted by Fly Me To The Moon
It turned out that car was a Maserati (do not know what model).
Maserati Quattroporte.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.