Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Excelsior Hotel Gallia, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Milan, Italy [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 6, 2021, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dgreen12
Per post #139, email addresses for this hotel are:
Print Wikipost

Excelsior Hotel Gallia, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Milan, Italy [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2015, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by monitor
...Report on our checkout from this excellent hotel along with our ride to the airport will follow in a few days.
Everything went as smooth as glass on checkout and the taxi to MXP was routine, considering how long a trip it is.

We are determined that the next time we come to Milan, we will arrange somehow to use Linate since Malpensa should strictly be reserved for connecting.

Footnote to the transportation service that whether that Quattroporte is sitting there outside or not, we always got the Merc when going around town. No complaints but just a data point.
Old Dec 5, 2015, 6:39 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
How is the air con?

I will be taking my mother to Milan in Oct 2016...and though it's likely to be cooler at night, I still require very good air con to sleep well. Any experiences with the air con from those who have stayed here?

Thanks!
Old Dec 5, 2015, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We were there third week of August and recall no problems with the A/C or anything about the ventilation system. Since we like it on the cooler side when we sleep, I would assume that the A/C was working properly.
Old Dec 5, 2015, 6:59 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by monitor
We were there third week of August and recall no problems with the A/C or anything about the ventilation system. Since we like it on the cooler side when we sleep, I would assume that the A/C was working properly.
Thanks!
Old Dec 8, 2015, 1:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
Looking less it will be cheaper here than the Westin Palace in February so I am likely to finally try it. Any idea how they treat early check ins? I usually wind up getting in around 10am and the Westin mostly always gives me a room right away.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 11:30 pm

Regarding AC ... we were at the Gallia in the first week of March, we both like cold weather and cool rooms and found the AC a bit insufficient though not unusual for Europe. Perhaps it wasn't fully available due to the time of year. The windows do open, but if you have them open for some period of time the AC shuts off.

A prior poster disliked the automatic nightlights, and we did too. Presuming the setup is the same as in our room, the trick is to put the decorative bed pillows in the nightstand openings to defeat the motion sensors.
Old Dec 19, 2015, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We actually have become accustomed to the automatic night lights since the feature is being adopted in many of the newly built hotels in the States. We actually have grown to accept and even like them since they make a middle-of-the-night trip to the loo a lot easier.
Old Dec 19, 2015, 8:30 am

Prices here are significantly below the Westin Palace where I usually stay for my next trip so I'll finally get here early next year. Any idea what they do if you arrive early in the day? Thanks.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 10:45 am

Programs: EX²-*wood platinum, EX-hyatt diamond, sixt platinum, hilton silver, leaders club, esselunga verde...
Originally Posted by ckendall
Prices here are significantly below the Westin Palace where I usually stay for my next trip so I'll finally get here early next year. Any idea what they do if you arrive early in the day? Thanks.
What is early?!
Old Jan 10, 2016, 7:27 pm

9 or 10 am.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 7:37 pm

Programs: EX²-*wood platinum, EX-hyatt diamond, sixt platinum, hilton silver, leaders club, esselunga verde...
Originally Posted by ckendall
9 or 10 am.
Contact the hotel! Should be possible.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by Forstbetrieb
Contact the hotel! Should be possible.
Thanks
Old Jan 13, 2016, 9:39 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Tit, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold, Carlson Gold, UA*S,
We arrived at the hotel via the bus which leaves the airport and drops you at the central station. Figuring that the hotel was "across the street" I thought that it was certainly the more frugal option at €7 instead of taking a taxi. The bus does indeed stop off at the station but the hotel is actually at least seven minutes walk from the drop off point and we had to lug our bags across various cobbles before reaching the smooth floor of the station concourse.

It was Christmas Eve when we arrived and I was told the hotel was extremely quiet. I barely saw any other guests during my entire two night stay. I only saw other people at breakfast time!

My SNA cleared and I was upgraded to a design suite. This was actually above the choices given when assigning my SNA so it was a generous upgrade. The room had an enormous lounge and bedroom along with one and a half bedrooms.

I picked the breakfast as my platinum amenity but I received a number of special gifts from the hotel including a bottle of prosecco, a beautiful cashmere hat for myself and some expensive moisturisers for my wife. Each night, new gifts such as chocolates were also left in the room. It was really impressive and generous service.

The hotel has its own Chauffeur service to take you downtown. We used the service a few times. It's a one way drop off and you can easily pick up the metro to get back to the hotel. Travelling downtown was incredible in the act of a Maserati! It was a real treat and a pleasure to travel in such luxury.

The bed was not as comfy as other luxury collection properties and I found it quite hard which is unusual for me... However everything else was top class. The bathroom shower even converts into a steam room.

Breakfast has a fantastic range of options. Everything looked very fresh and there was everything from cheeses and meats to stunning pain au chocolates! The rest of the time we were well looked after. There were only a couple of minor glitches: once they brought me two sewing kits instead of shaving kits.... And upon checkout I complained that the air conditioning in the room wasn't heating the bedroom properly. I was not offered points but instead a further 20% off my bill. Again, very generous and without any prompting.

We were heading to Venice up one departing and the bellman actually wheeled our bags from our room, across the street to the railway station, and to the very platform my train was departing. Incredible service! I think he would have hung around until we were ready to board but I told him he was relieved of his duties and gave him a €10 tip.

Overall, this was a superb stay. I had stayed at the Westin previously and this is totally different in feel because of its extremely modern decor.id thoroughly recommend, the treatment I received reminded me why I love SPG so much and hope that this will continue the coming years.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 10:36 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat. WOH Glob. SQ Gold
Had a great stay over the New Year Period in an Atelier Suite. Although the suite itself was relatively small and not much like the description it was really nice and extremely comfortable. Also on a seven night booking on a hot escapes rate it was a very generous and gracious upgrade which was very much appreciated. Also enjoyed the great view from the room over the station.

Various different amenities were also constantly being brought to the room

Attention to detail within the room from everything from the doorhandles up was great. The windows also fully opened which is a minor issue that is important to me.

Over seven nights had plenty of chances to test out the various bars on several occasions - both bars get my tick of approval - highly recommend the "Italian Mule" made with a local gin.

Also had a meal at the Restaurant on the seventh floor. Very nice and at around 90 euro a head (excluding drinks) not mind blowingly expensive.

Every other hotel service worked flawlessly: room service, laundry, shoe shine, car service etc all perfect.

Hotel quoted 190 Euro for airport pickup - so ended using blacklane for just over 110 euro.

Really very happy with this hotel.
Attached Images          
Old Jan 18, 2016, 3:47 pm

Chad, it looks like you had wood floors in your suite. That's nice! I was in a non-suite room (Excelsior) and it had carpeting. Maybe all of the suites have wood floors? I still think about this hotel a lot even though it's been nearly a year since the trip. It was so beautiful. Didn't you think the public areas were gorgeous? The people who did the interior design did such a great job mixing materials and colors.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.