Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Glasshouse, Autograph Collection, Edinburgh, Scotland, UK [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Glasshouse, Autograph Collection, Edinburgh, Scotland, UK [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2022, 5:59 pm

Programs: Platinum Medallion Delta SkyMiles, National Executive Elite, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by BearX220
Would a recent guest have an update on the exterior construction perhaps? Looking to book early Q2 next year and hoping the tram line (or whatever it is) will be squared away by then.
I stayed here last week. The construction in front continues, but several buses still run by the hotel. Google Maps helped navigate that area pretty well. I used the buses to get around from the station up the street (Leith) from the hotel. Coming back to the hotel, I would get off a block or two from the hotel, but it's a downward walk back to the hotel from there.To be fair, the Royal Mile is only approx. 15 min walk from the hotel.

The most challenging commute was hauling my luggage back to the airport shuttle. Over the time of my stay, I got familiar with the area, and so I used the escalator in the department store of the shopping mall to minimize the uphill strain, and just cut through the mall and ended up in front of St Andrew's Square. Approx. a 5-7 min walk in total to the airport shuttle stop.
Old Oct 1, 2022, 7:43 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA Plat MM
Has anyone done a recent comparison between this hotel and the Sheraton? I'm currently holding a multi-day reservation at the Sheraton on points, but wouldn't mind being closer to Waverley. The Glasshouse is slightly cheaper than the Sheraton on cash rates but considerably more on points. Apart from location, are the service and amenities better at one vs. the other? Is the location of the Glasshouse worth 30% more points? TIA
Old Oct 1, 2022, 8:33 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by yyzflyer
Has anyone done a recent comparison between this hotel and the Sheraton? I'm currently holding a multi-day reservation at the Sheraton on points, but wouldn't mind being closer to Waverley. The Glasshouse is slightly cheaper than the Sheraton on cash rates but considerably more on points. Apart from location, are the service and amenities better at one vs. the other? Is the location of the Glasshouse worth 30% more points? TIA
It depends what you want from a hotel. The Glasshouse is more of a boutique hotel and doesn’t have a pool or spa. I personally prefer the Sheraton, but both are pretty average overall and I wasn’t impressed by how standards have declined last time I was at the Sheraton. The Sheraton spa is the opposite of luxury a lot of the time, as it’s basically a a zoo. They have a very good gym though. The design of rooms at the Glasshouse is bizarre and they tried to deny me my 4pm checkout the one time I visited.

I would make the decision based on the location and facilities that work best for you.

Edit: the hotel I like best in Edinburgh is actually the Kimpton.
Old Oct 3, 2022, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by ao40
I live a few minutes walk away. The work is still on now, but making progress.
Originally Posted by Hoof Hunter
The construction in front continues, but several buses still run by the hotel.
Thank you both for kindly responding. I think we will chance it and book in for April.
Old Dec 7, 2022, 3:24 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
Bit of a niche question, but does anyone know if paying on card at the bar in the Glasshouse is processed as the hotel itself? I need to use up an offer on Amex but won’t be needing an actual hotel stay before the offer expires.
Old Dec 7, 2022, 5:37 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Radiation Station
Bit of a niche question, but does anyone know if paying on card at the bar in the Glasshouse is processed as the hotel itself? I need to use up an offer on Amex but won’t be needing an actual hotel stay before the offer expires.
I'd be careful with this... I paid on my Marriott AMEX at the Xenia in London at the restaurant and it came back as non-Marriott and AMEX wouldn't budge so I'd double check since it's an Autograph/Luxury collection.
Radiation Station likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2022, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Is construction still ongoing? Do they still provide discounted passes to a nearby gym?
Old Dec 19, 2022, 6:48 pm

Has anyone stayed in either of the Lady Glenorchy suites and can they comment on them being worth the premium or not? One person on tripadvisor said the furnishings were quite dated despite the website photos making it look new.
Old Jul 13, 2023, 7:27 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
We just spent one night here and were upgraded to a Lady Glenrochy suite (room 81). We did not spend much time in the room, but the suite is large, the outdoor terrace is a very nice feature, and the bed is extremely comfortable. Note that there is not a separate bedroom in this suite; there is a partition between the sitting area and the bed. The true stars of this hotel are the rooftop terrace garden (in nice weather) and the extremely friendly and helpful staff. We plan to return.
Old Aug 12, 2023, 7:50 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold, AA Gold
Looking for some Edinburgh advice. Will be there for the first time in early November and plan to stay for 6 nights (probably some day trips elsewhere for a couple of days) with the wife and doing standard touristy stuff (sites and food). I am assuming that among Marriotts, the location of the Glasshouse is superior to the Moxy (seems at the other end of the historic area)? What are advantages/disadvantages location-wise?

And, aside from what you'd typically expect as the difference between a boutique/fancier hotel vs. standard brand, is the price difference between the Glasshouse vs. the Courtyard that seems very close by worth it? We'd be reserving the standard rooms at either. Any elite benefits actually given at the Glasshouse that are worthwhile?

Any insights would be much appreciated.
Old Aug 13, 2023, 2:31 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
Glasshouse is luxury whereas Courtyard (and then Moxy) are more budget hotels. Glasshouse is a great hotel and is served by great transport links to get around the city. Lots of restaurants round about too. Downside of Glasshouse is it can be very pricey... thankfully I manged to get it at a very good price for my visit! The Elite benefits I got there was the free breakfast, 2 drinks in the bar and an upgraded room (got a suite).

I've not stayed at the Courtyard nearby, I usually go to the Courtyard West as a) cheaper b) free parking. But in comparison, while Courtyard rooms are comfy, they aren't a patch on what it was like at the Glasshouse. Depending on the type of rooms they have, you might get upgraded to a superior room ie one with a sofa rather than individual chair(s). Elite benefit is choosing between 500points or the $10 F&B credit (I usually take the £7.50 per day credit as better than 500 points). You might score a free drink but depends on what each individual hotel does as it really does vary.

Moxy's are very budget hotels and unless that is the last resort, I wouldn't book there as the rooms are very compact and the bathroom even more so! I didn't get any Elite benefits other than the points as the rate I had booked included breakfast.
Old Aug 13, 2023, 4:28 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Silver, Hertz
Originally Posted by dcchi

And, aside from what you'd typically expect as the difference between a boutique/fancier hotel vs. standard brand, is the price difference between the Glasshouse vs. the Courtyard that seems very close by worth it? We'd be reserving the standard rooms at either. Any elite benefits actually given at the Glasshouse that are worthwhile?

I stayed at The Courtyard in 2022, having previously stayed at The Glasshouse. While I was upgraded to the Bowmore suite at The Glasshouse, for value, I'd seriously consider staying at the CY again. I had two rooms, 3 people (my 17- and 18- year old nieces). They gave all 3 of us the complete breakfast buffet for free. The buffet is plentiful (including haggis!) Several hot dishes, fresh fruit, yogurt, pastries, etc. It's not a $10 food and beverage credit in a bistro. The rooms were large and quiet. For the price, I would have zero hesitation staying at the CY again.

FYI. We walked everywhere in the historic district. Took the bus to Leith from a block away to see Royal Yacht. And walked to Waverley with our bags for our train to London. The only issue is ongoing tram construction, but it didn't impact our stay other than the fact my cousins, who are local, had to pick us up around the corner.
Old Aug 13, 2023, 8:08 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
the courtyard and glasshouse are more or less next to one another for practical purposes. i think the tram construction in front of that area has resolved at least in there being a useable sidewalk now.

while i enjoy the sheraton i was surprised by the courtyard. yes rooms are typically basic courtyard but once had a corner room in front building with lots of giant windows, and other times in the back modern extension which was very quiet. rooms perfectly serviceable, breakfast was really surprisingly great at the courtyard too. the lobby/lounge area a bit sad and cramped so if thats your thing, then look elsewhere.
Old Aug 13, 2023, 9:18 am

Programs: Skywards Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by dcchi
Looking for some Edinburgh advice. Will be there for the first time in early November and plan to stay for 6 nights (probably some day trips elsewhere for a couple of days) with the wife and doing standard touristy stuff (sites and food). I am assuming that among Marriotts, the location of the Glasshouse is superior to the Moxy (seems at the other end of the historic area)? What are advantages/disadvantages location-wise?

Earlier this year Stayed at the Sheraton, CY and GH. Location wise preferred Sheraton, in the grand scheme of things there isn't much in it but at the CY also felt we were walking up hill to get anywhere each day. Obviously the GH is next door so is the same situation as the CY.

Price wise paid an extra 50 quid to stay at the GH which was worth every penny over the CY. In fact, if we were to return to EDI we would return to the Sheraton or the GH but i'd rather go non Marriott than stay at the CY again.

So our of preference Sheraton - GH - CY

I'm an advocate for going cheap when I plan on being out all day and I have stayed at the majority of CYs in the UK but it was just depressing returning to the CY in EDI!
Old Aug 14, 2023, 12:55 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by VSLover
i think the tram construction in front of that area has resolved at least in there being a useable sidewalk now.
Yes the construction work for the tram extenstion has now finished.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.