Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Glasshouse, Autograph Collection, Edinburgh, Scotland, UK [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Glasshouse, Autograph Collection, Edinburgh, Scotland, UK [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2016, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
When does the Glasshouse load inventory? Looking at November, which I know is far out, but I have my flights booked so I do like to hold a room. No rooms coming up for GH, only for Residence Inn and Marriott and Dalmahoy. Definitely need to be downtown so either the RI, the GH or a Hilton property is what we will go with.
Hmm, I just booked a couple of nights for Oct 2016 a few weeks back. Didn't have any problem
Old Jan 8, 2016, 5:12 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Using the "Dates Flexible" checkbox to search for award availability, it looks like they have only loaded awards through Oct. 31st. They have award availability for every night in October, but nothing after Oct. 31st.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fireworksboy
Hmm, I just booked a couple of nights for Oct 2016 a few weeks back. Didn't have any problem
Oct 31 is last day you can book.

Maybe they load one month at a time and November will load soon.

Would you recommend for a 3 night stay to see main tourist sites and a prospective student visit to the university? We will need 2 rooms, 2 people in each room. Looks like the RI is closer walking distance to the university but Glasshouse tends to be cheaper.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hhoope01
Using the "Dates Flexible" checkbox to search for award availability, it looks like they have only loaded awards through Oct. 31st. They have award availability for every night in October, but nothing after Oct. 31st.
Not just awards, paid stays end then too.
Old May 12, 2017, 11:48 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Has anyone had any recent stays here?

I had a pretty disappointing experience. Went to book (on points) this morning. 40,000 points per night, which seems a bit much if past reports about a lack of lounge, restaurant and complimentary fitness centre are correct (after all, it is a self-touted "five-star" hotel) but I digress.

Did the booking, went on to type my details. As usual, Marriott.com said the room was being held for 15 minutes. I needed to make a special request (extra pillows). When I did that the room ceased being available even though I still had about 12 minutes left in the hold time. Now, Marriott.com wanted me to pay 40,000 points plus 60 British pounds per night for the exact same room. Absurd. Making it even more absurd was I could still book each night separately with no surcharge. It was only when attempting to combine the nights that a surcharge was added.

I called the Marriott platinum desk immediately. The agent was friendly and transferred me to customer care. I spent about 20 minutes on the phone with her. She even called the hotel and eventually, she said, spoke to the sales director. The hotel was unwilling to help at all. She said the hotel even said I'd have to change rooms each day if I didn't pay the surcharge.

Needless to say, I'm pretty disappointed ahead of my visit. On the other hand, I will get extra "stay" credits even though I'm already re-qualified for 2018 platinum status. Still, it seems like pretty poor pre-arrival treatment for a platinum -- to say nothing of questionable Marriott.com bait-and-switch tactics.

I'm thinking of switching to the new-ish Courtyard, which seemingly provides breakfast, is a stone's throw away and costs a little less.

Thoughts?
Old Aug 13, 2017, 11:17 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; Mileage Plus 1K, 1 MM; Global Entry
Stayed here night of 9 August. Despite it being in the middle of Festival season I was able to snag an award night some time ago. Did not get a suite upgrade , but it was in the middle of Festival. Pictures below. Note that the white thing on the left side of the picture of the bed is a pillar in the middle of the room. Wasn't really in the way, but was odd.

I notice that some of the earlier posts say there is no restaurant. They do now serve dinner in the breakfast room. Very limited menu, but we got a starter and a main for 15 GBP. Not too bad.
Attached Images     
Old Aug 13, 2017, 11:46 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
I stayed at this property in March of this year and thought it was excellent. Was (relatively) cheap thanks to the off-season time, room was very clean, and service was great.

I think my upgrade as a gold was considered the 3rd floor with the walkout balcony onto the rooftop. Either way, was totally sufficient for a 1 night stay and the free breakfast in the morning was still much better (IMO) than what you'd receive in the states at a property that considers the breakfast benefit "continental".

The lounge area with the fire fit (I think also on the 3rd floor but can't remember) was also lovely and a great place to get a bottle of wine after a cold day of sightseeing.

All around, very pleasant and hope to return someday!
Old Aug 13, 2017, 12:27 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
Daft question probably, but whats behind the glass doors in the first photo?

Its a property that I would love to stay at in Edinburgh but the rates are just too high compared to what I get the Edinburgh Marriott for and parking there is free too.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by nequine
Daft question probably, but whats behind the glass doors in the first photo?

Its a property that I would love to stay at in Edinburgh but the rates are just too high compared to what I get the Edinburgh Marriott for and parking there is free too.
I assume you mean the doors on either side of the TV? Closets.
nequine likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 7:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
He mentioned pic #1 . Looks like it's a desk since there's a lamp & phone on it. Thanks for the update Michilander w/ pics!

Cheers.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
He mentioned pic #1 . Looks like it's a desk since there's a lamp & phone on it. Thanks for the update Michilander w/ pics!

Cheers.
Yes, behind the headboard of the bed was a space that included a small table with two chairs, and the desk, which is where the lamp is on the right, with a third chair. There is a glass pane that ran along the top of the wall between the bed and the table/desk area. Was confused by the question because I did not see the glass pane as a door.

Anyway, it was actually a pretty nice room.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 1:07 pm

We stayed there last year. Upgraded to a lovely suite. Great property, fantastic breakfast. Theatre next door, Princes Street and Waverley Station 5 minutes walk away. Nespresso coffee machine in room.
bhrubin likes this.

Last edited by Trevfour; Aug 14, 2017 at 1:14 pm
Old Aug 14, 2017, 1:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
I stayed here for three nights in May. It's an OK property, but in my honest opinion it is more like an average Marriott (absent a real restaurant) than the full-service, boutique or upscale hotel that are more commonplace in the Autograph Collection.

The staff were friendly, but the service was inconsistent. Especially in terms of housekeeping. I also thought the food and beverage was really weak. It just wasn't much of an atmosphere.
Old May 22, 2018, 7:47 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
What would people choose out of the AC and the Sheraton?
Old Apr 28, 2019, 9:13 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
Any 2018/19 feedback on this property? Only 20GBP difference per night between this place and the Sheraton at this stage which, in light of the Sheraton guaranteeing breakfast for Platinums, seems to make the Sheraton the more appealing prospect.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.