Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Gritti Palace, Venice, Italy (Post 2013 renovation) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 24, 2018, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bhrubin
Hotel email address: [email protected]
Concierge: [email protected] om

Directions on how to reach hotel from airport, train station, or elsewhere in Venice: https://www.marriott.com/hotelwebsites/us/v/vcegl/vcegl_pdfs/How_to_arrive_The_Gritti_Palace.pdf

Closest waterbus stop to hotel: Santa Maria del Giglio pier Directions

Expert Review (posted to Luxury Forum) from Oct 2016:

https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...e-upgrade-1632
Print Wikipost

Gritti Palace, Venice, Italy (Post 2013 renovation) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2018, 6:54 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by porkie

Breakfast in main restaurant is always included for plats at all spg properties (choice of welcome amenity), this is regardless of brand, whether hotel has lounge etc. or any other stupid Marriott rules.
Continental breakfast... In practice though, almost all European Luxury Collection hotels will allow you the full breakfast. Given the setting, the Gritti Palace is one of the very best in the system.
beachfan, Happy and bhrubin like this.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 7:30 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Delta Platinum Medallion, AAdvantage Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by cup.of.jo
When I called the hotel directly for an upcoming stay, they seemed strict about it at least over the phone. I booked a room to accommodate 3 (2 adults & 11 years). All the hotels I've talked to in Italy point to Italian law regarding room occupancy. Unsure if that is truly the case, but it has been consistent. This is our first experience traveling with a child in Italy, and I was caught off guard by the additional costs involved. HOWEVER, they did confirm that if the child shares the existing bed, the roll-away is not charged.

Does any one know if breakfast is included for Platinum Premier? SPG couldn't answer. Last time I stayed here was at the beginning of the merger (Plat w/ Marriott, but no status w/ SPG) and it was not. Hoping that has changed.
Can confirm that they are INCREDIBLY strict with room occupancy.
cup.of.jo likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 12:31 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by Miami305
Can confirm that they are INCREDIBLY strict with room occupancy.
Since these are fire safety laws, I doubt whether there are many hotels that aren't strict. I'm guessing it's sort of like finding a bar that will serve liquor to minors in the US. Way too much at stake if they are found violating it.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 9:13 pm

Programs: SPG 100 Ambassador, LH M&M Senator, Skywards Silver
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Continental breakfast... In practice though, almost all European Luxury Collection hotels will allow you the full breakfast. Given the setting, the Gritti Palace is one of the very best in the system.
Technically yes, but during my 400+ SPG stays in Asia and Europe I haven't once been refused full restaurant breakfast if I chose it as my welcome amenity (very often didn't even have to forgo the points). On the other hand during my relatively few stays at Marriott properties I've often been told that I can only have continental breakfast in lounge or seen separate "platinum area" in breakfast restaurant with limited offerings.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 2:44 pm

I was just there as a Plat and full breakfast was included as an amenity option. Excellent continental buffet and you could also order anything off the menu. The setting along the Grand Canal rivals some of the best breakfast settings I've experienced. We were not charged for the crib for our 1 year old. YMMV based on child's age
Old Sep 13, 2018, 9:22 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I've stayed in the Ruskin suite. Be aware that it is Victorian decor. That means almost every horizontal and vertical surface is filled. It's very true to that design period. I stacked and moved books and bibelots in order to have some free space.
​​​​​​​What are the prospects of a Platinum upgrade to a canal view suite in November?
Old Sep 19, 2018, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
I will be staying at the Gritti Palace in about 1.5 weeks, travelling with carry on luggage only. Any recommendations on best way to get to hotel using public transit? (Private water taxi is too expensive given the amount of travel I do.) I checked www.rome2rio.com and there is a bus option (46m) and a ferry option (1h11m). I will be landing at VCE early afternoon. Any help would be appreciated. TIA
Old Sep 19, 2018, 7:00 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by margarita girl
I will be staying at the Gritti Palace in about 1.5 weeks, travelling with carry on luggage only. Any recommendations on best way to get to hotel using public transit? (Private water taxi is too expensive given the amount of travel I do.) I checked www.rome2rio.com and there is a bus option (46m) and a ferry option (1h11m). I will be landing at VCE early afternoon. Any help would be appreciated. TIA
We took the public water bus with luggage and it was no big deal.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nologic
We took the public water bus with luggage and it was no big deal.
Good to know! I assume that's the same as the ferry. Do you remember how much it was? Thanks!
Old Sep 19, 2018, 7:19 am

Originally Posted by margarita girl
Good to know! I assume that's the same as the ferry. Do you remember how much it was? Thanks!
It's called the Alilaguna boat, orange line (Linea Arancio). 15 Euros per person one way, 27 Euros if you buy as a round trip, and takes just over an hour one way to the Giglio stop (which is one block from the hotel).

Hope you enjoy your stay!
margarita girl likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 7:27 am

No, it was too long ago. But it was cheap, easy, and a nice ride on a nice day. We stayed at the Europa and Regina, and had to go up and over a few bridges along the way, dragging full sized suitcases up and over each canal (5-7 min walk). The Gritti is much closer to the dock. Would easily do it again.

We had 4 people including 2 small kids so the price must have been dramatically cheaper .

I don't remember if it was a water bus or a ferry. I would say it held about 50 people...probably a bus.

Last edited by nologic; Sep 19, 2018 at 8:08 am
Old Sep 19, 2018, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you both for the helpful comments!
Old Sep 19, 2018, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by matravelguy
It's called the Alilaguna boat, orange line (Linea Arancio). 15 Euros per person one way, 27 Euros if you buy as a round trip, and takes just over an hour one way to the Giglio stop (which is one block from the hotel).

Hope you enjoy your stay!
That all seems about right to me. I remember the departure dock was to the left of the terminal as we exited. I think we waited about 10-15 mins. Suspect it runs at least every 30 mins or so during prime time, maybe more frequently. It did make a stop and it seemed like the trip took about an hour or so...but a great way to spend an hour or so.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 8:15 am
Community Director Emerita

From a post I made years ago about using public transport to the hotel.

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
From a post of mine in the locked prerenovation thread. Prices have likely increased but I expect that the route information is still accurate.

I entered Venice by train. You have two choices to get to the hotel: water taxi or vaporetto. I believe that a water taxi would be close to 100 euros, whereas the vaporetto is 6.5 euros. While I could get to the hotel much faster by taxi, I was in no hurry thus chose the vaporetto. When you leave the station, go down the stairs and straight ahead. There are several booths where you can buy vaporetto tickets. I decided to buy a 3 day pass for 33 euros. That way, I wouldn't have to buy any more tickets for the duration of my stay. You need to check carefully for the proper pier. You want vaporetto 1 toward St Marks and the Lido. It is the pier to the extreme right.

The vaporetto makes a number of stops along the Grand Canal. It takes about 45 minutes to get to the Giglio stop - but then again, you're on the Grand Canal, and the ride is part of your sightseeing. It's exceptionally easy to get to the Gritti with luggage from the Giglio stop. There are no stairs nor bridges. You walk straight ahead down a tiny alley til you get to a small square. Turn right, then turn right again and walk back to the canal. The Gritti is on the canal to the left of you.
I take it you will be coming from the airport. There will be maps that you can study to determine what boat you want. The important thing is knowing the stop, Giglio, on the Grand Canal.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

@margarita girl

This is found on TripAdvisor, directly from the hotel manager

https://www.tripadvisor.com/FAQ_Answ...he_Gritti.html

Keep in mind the water bus is very crowded these days. But if you only have carry on, i.e. a rollerboard, it should not be an issue. You may need to stay near the boarding / deboarding area where there are space for luggage and have your hands on it so it would not roll during the journey.

IIRC arriving by air, at the public transportation information desk, you could buy a bus transfer together with a Vaperetto pass is being sold with 12 / 24 / 36 / 48 hours something like that. It will give you a small discount. That was a few years ago.
Our recent visits were either train in from Padova or as port of call. Last time we spent most of our time on the island where the Hilton is located, the benches near the Vaperetto stop have vintage view for the main island across the Grand Canal. We also enjoyed the Giadini Pubblici a lot, just 20 min stroll from the very hectic San Marco Piazza. There is very few tourists and it is a nice tranquil oasis to take in the view of the lagoon as well as the view of the Chiesa Giorgio Maggiore across the water.

Highly recommend you pick a morning to go up the bell tower of Chiesa Giorgio Maggiore - it would give you a great bird's eye view of Venice proper. Only the view from the top decks of a cruise ship sailing away from Venice could beat that. But cruise ships are no longer allowed to do that route leaving Venice, so the view from the bell tower of Chiesa would be the only one to have.
Need to go early due to the space at the top is very limited, so line would become long quickly after open.

Venice has become extremely crowded so not as nice to visit as before. Not sure if they still use the "tourist control" measure that was voted approved a few months ago.
https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/v...als/index.html
The picture is truly discouraging.

Last edited by Happy; Sep 19, 2018 at 9:32 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.