Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Gritti Palace, Venice, Italy (Post 2013 renovation) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 24, 2018, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bhrubin
Hotel email address: [email protected]
Concierge: [email protected] om

Directions on how to reach hotel from airport, train station, or elsewhere in Venice: https://www.marriott.com/hotelwebsites/us/v/vcegl/vcegl_pdfs/How_to_arrive_The_Gritti_Palace.pdf

Closest waterbus stop to hotel: Santa Maria del Giglio pier Directions

Expert Review (posted to Luxury Forum) from Oct 2016:

https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...e-upgrade-1632
Print Wikipost

Gritti Palace, Venice, Italy (Post 2013 renovation) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2018, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

most chain hotels are not good at breaking down fees

the venetian city government tax is not new, began 2011
seems 5 per person high season 2.50 per person low season
Old Dec 13, 2018, 11:03 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, TK Gold
Originally Posted by mpeterson78
Is the Venetian considered a higher category room? Do they only come in queen size? I'm tempted to switch also because I booked a Deluxe under the SPG site and also saw it was a smoking room. I'm Plat so I was expecting to be upgraded anyway, would my upgrade be better if I was upgrading from a Venetian instead of a Deluxe?
This is the resonse I got from the hotel:

The most number of Deluxe double rooms are non-smoking and only a couple of rooms of this category are holding for our smoker guests.
The Venetian rooms are all non-smoking, are furnished in a romantic style of the venetian Roccocò of XVIII century. All are prepared with a unique queen size bed and have no view.
The Deluxe double rooms are all located in the side of the hotel overlooking the small Rio delle Ostreghe, the typical small canal on the side of the hotel (not the Grand Canal), and furnished with a selection of antiquities furniture and wall enriched with venetian Rubelli drapes.
I'm still debating which one I would like better. Any further insight for those who are familar with the hotel will be appreiciated.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 1:22 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by MD/DC Flyer
This is the resonse I got from the hotel:

I'm still debating which one I would like better. Any further insight for those who are familar with the hotel will be appreiciated.
My impression is that Venetian rooms are slightly better received by most.

I recommend going with the more spacious room category, regardless of view (unless one should manage a room looking out to the Grand Canal!). Ultimately, our suite was beautiful and spacious but barely had any real view...and we still loved it. But we most loved being at the hotel, at the hotel’s Riva Bar for sundowners with its incredible view, and at the hotel restaurant with its incredible view.

Go with your gut...and then just be thrilled you can use points to stay at such an incredible hotel in the first place.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 11:27 am

does anyone here stayed at this hotel with a kid that sleeps on same bed? I have booked a room at this hotel but I am unable to get any information on this. The hotel search results with occupancy of 3 results in an error. I am pretty sure the hotel would be able accommodate 3 in a room but I am unable to confirm this either way. I can't even find email address for this hotel.

Any suggestions?
Old Jan 2, 2019, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by mshah
does anyone here stayed at this hotel with a kid that sleeps on same bed? I have booked a room at this hotel but I am unable to get any information on this. The hotel search results with occupancy of 3 results in an error. I am pretty sure the hotel would be able accommodate 3 in a room but I am unable to confirm this either way. I can't even find email address for this hotel.

Any suggestions?
No idea about children but the email address is in the wiki of this thread. Marriott has purposely deleted all hotel email addresses. They suggest you fax the property.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 8:23 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood

Any suggestions?
I stayed there about two years ago when my daughter would have been 6-ish. I booked a pretty standard room as I recall with one bed (two beds joined together by the hotel as is pretty standard over there). So I booked a room for 2 people, and then corresponded w/ the hotel directly for a rollaway for my daughter. In that e-mail I let them know that it would be my wife, daughter and I so they updated the reservation for me. They told me that there would be a charge for the rollaway, which seemed high but I forget the exactly amount. I don't know if I was ultimately charged for the rollaway or not, but do know that I viewed it as a heck of a lot less expensive than any other alternative so ultimately justified it pretty quickly with a 'but it's Venice and the Gritti'.

That's the strategy I would take today if I was booking, and actually the one that I took when I booked the Westin in Florence back in November over Thanksgiving. If you put in 3 people, you're going to be severely limited as to results. I don't feel like I'm gaming the system as much as working around the website. I always tell them upfront in writing that I have a kiddo and ultimately am happy to pay for the rollaway if they charge for it.

As for e-mail, check the very first post on this thread. Marriott has removed a lot of the direct emails for Starwood hotels (welcome to mega Marriott). The one that I used was: [email protected]

Last edited by dingo; Jan 3, 2019 at 8:27 am Reason: added e-mail
Old Jan 4, 2019, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by dingo
I stayed there about two years ago when my daughter would have been 6-ish. I booked a pretty standard room as I recall with one bed (two beds joined together by the hotel as is pretty standard over there). So I booked a room for 2 people, and then corresponded w/ the hotel directly for a rollaway for my daughter. In that e-mail I let them know that it would be my wife, daughter and I so they updated the reservation for me. They told me that there would be a charge for the rollaway, which seemed high but I forget the exactly amount. I don't know if I was ultimately charged for the rollaway or not, but do know that I viewed it as a heck of a lot less expensive than any other alternative so ultimately justified it pretty quickly with a 'but it's Venice and the Gritti'.

That's the strategy I would take today if I was booking, and actually the one that I took when I booked the Westin in Florence back in November over Thanksgiving. If you put in 3 people, you're going to be severely limited as to results. I don't feel like I'm gaming the system as much as working around the website. I always tell them upfront in writing that I have a kiddo and ultimately am happy to pay for the rollaway if they charge for it.

As for e-mail, check the very first post on this thread. Marriott has removed a lot of the direct emails for Starwood hotels (welcome to mega Marriott). The one that I used was: [email protected]
Originally Posted by margarita girl
No idea about children but the email address is in the wiki of this thread. Marriott has purposely deleted all hotel email addresses. They suggest you fax the property.
Thank you for the prompt responses. I appreciate it. I missed the email in the wiki.

I just spoke with the hotel directly. The key was not to mention reservation but check for "max occupancy". As soon as I told that, the operator transferred me to front desk. She mentioned the same thing as you mentioned. No problem with co-sleep, but if you need crib or roll away there is an extra charge. So, hopefully we are all set!

Thank you once again.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 9:16 am

Programs: OZ *G, HHonors Gold, Aclub Plat
Thank you for the prompt responses. I appreciate it. I missed the email in the wiki.

I just spoke with the hotel directly. The key was not to mention reservation but check for "max occupancy". As soon as I told that, the operator transferred me to front desk. She mentioned the same thing as you mentioned. No problem with co-sleep, but if you need crib or roll away there is an extra charge. So, hopefully we are all set!

Thank you once again.
I just stayed at Gritti on points. Booked for 2 adults in reservation but made a note in the reservation for crib. Showed up with 2 kids aged 18 months and 4 year old with no problems at check-in. 4 year old slept with us in king bed and crib was delivered without charge.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 12:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by calvinoeh
I just stayed at Gritti on points. Booked for 2 adults in reservation but made a note in the reservation for crib. Showed up with 2 kids aged 18 months and 4 year old with no problems at check-in. 4 year old slept with us in king bed and crib was delivered without charge.
That's interesting as most hotels are very strict about enforcing the 3 person per room limit. I guess they don't count the infant in the crib. Would love to fit 4 in a suite here (or Danieli) but that doesn't appear to be an option on the website - only at JW.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by Boraxo
That's interesting as most hotels are very strict about enforcing the 3 person per room limit. I guess they don't count the infant in the crib. Would love to fit 4 in a suite here (or Danieli) but that doesn't appear to be an option on the website - only at JW.
We stayed at Danieli prior to Gritti and did the same too. Got upgraded a relatively nice one bedroom suite. Easier to ask for forgiveness :P
Old Jan 7, 2019, 9:04 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
What kind of upgrade can I expect to receive as a Marriott Plat traveling in September for 3 nights? I booked the lowest level room on points.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 6:05 pm

Would it be worthwhile to visit Venice and more specifically at the Gritti during December/January? Would it be too cold to sit outside and admire the canals?
Old Jan 31, 2019, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by Commie
Would it be worthwhile to visit Venice and more specifically at the Gritti during December/January? Would it be too cold to sit outside and admire the canals?
absolutely not.... We went over dec/jan and love that it was cold..
Old Mar 4, 2019, 2:17 pm

Programs: Oman Air Gold, Qatar Airways Platinum, Marriott Ambassador, HH Diamond, GHA Black, Hyatt Globalist
Any advice for traveling with a baby to this hotel? and venice in general? I booked as it was the last day before the points go up and the wife is not convinced its the most ideal location for our 18 month old (Venice in general) and this hotel and prefered the JW Marriott as it has a pool at least for the baby to play in. Any advice would be appreciated!
Old Mar 6, 2019, 10:38 pm

Programs: Oman Air Gold, Qatar Airways Platinum, Marriott Ambassador, HH Diamond, GHA Black, Hyatt Globalist
Seems like this hotel didnt get that much love before the Cat 8 move! I see the Maldives and Bora Bora properties and the St Regis properties in Rome and Florence in FT getting attention but wondering to why this one didnt!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.