Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Gritti Palace, Venice, Italy (Post 2013 renovation) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 24, 2018, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bhrubin
Hotel email address: [email protected]
Concierge: [email protected] om

Directions on how to reach hotel from airport, train station, or elsewhere in Venice: https://www.marriott.com/hotelwebsites/us/v/vcegl/vcegl_pdfs/How_to_arrive_The_Gritti_Palace.pdf

Closest waterbus stop to hotel: Santa Maria del Giglio pier Directions

Expert Review (posted to Luxury Forum) from Oct 2016:

https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...e-upgrade-1632
Print Wikipost

Gritti Palace, Venice, Italy (Post 2013 renovation) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2018, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Does anyone have a name/email address for Guest Relations Mgr at this hotel? PM me if you wish. They haven't reached out to me which makes me wonder if my status is properly recorded. I have 2 nights booked on separate reservations due to availability. SNA cleared for first night to a Sestiere Suite, but I'm just in a Giglio room for 2nd night and SNA has not cleared for that. Would like to stay in the same room/suite for both nights if possible.
bhrubin likes this.

Last edited by margarita girl; Sep 23, 2018 at 8:43 am Reason: typo
Old Sep 23, 2018, 9:55 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by margarita girl
Does anyone have a name/email address for Guest Relations Mgr at this hotel?
The concierge can undoubtedly put you in touch.

concierge.grittipalace @ starwoodhotels.com
margarita girl likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
The concierge can undoubtedly put you in touch.

concierge.grittipalace @ starwoodhotels.com
Thank you!
Old Sep 24, 2018, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hotel email added to wiki.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I had an excellent 2 night stay here and took advantage of the new reduced redemption rates. Back in July, I paid 35K and 37.75K SPG points for each night respectively. Those were refunded to 60K and 83K Marriott points. I applied SNAs to both nights but only the first one cleared. Second one was returned to my account. Hotel was sold out for the second night, so I contacted them ahead of time to see if I might be able to keep the same room/suite for both nights, and they said no problem. I was upgraded to a large Sestiere Suite with 1.5 baths. The decor was a little heavy on the Victorian, but then so is the entire hotel and it really is part of the ambiance. (The 7 large books on the coffee table made the room look a little cluttered. I'd rather bring my own clutter!) There was a dozen fresh roses on the table in the entryway and a bottle of Prosecco chilling in the living room. ^ The main bathroom was huge and all done in beautiful grey marble. Bathroom amenities are Acqua di Parma. Unfortunately, could not see the canal from my room as the hotel doesn't have as much frontage as it does length.

There is a terrace right on the canal however where breakfast is served. All the hot items are made to order and are included in the Platinum breakfast. I did have to forego the 1000 pt welcome amenity. It was surreal to be sitting out there on a lovely, sunny day with the gondolas floating by.

The service was impeccable throughout the hotel. I'm really glad I got to experience this while the point redemptions are such a good deal.

I used the Alilaguna boat transfer as recommended by matravelguy and everything went smoothly to transfer from/to the airport.

And the most amazing thing is my 2 night credit posted the day after check-out, just like the old days!
Old Oct 17, 2018, 7:45 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
I had an excellent 2 night stay here and took advantage of the new reduced redemption rates. Back in July, I paid 35K and 37.75K SPG points for each night respectively. Those were refunded to 60K and 83K Marriott points. I applied SNAs to both nights but only the first one cleared. Second one was returned to my account. Hotel was sold out for the second night, so I contacted them ahead of time to see if I might be able to keep the same room/suite for both nights, and they said no problem. I was upgraded to a large Sestiere Suite with 1.5 baths. The decor was a little heavy on the Victorian, but then so is the entire hotel and it really is part of the ambiance. (The 7 large books on the coffee table made the room look a little cluttered. I'd rather bring my own clutter!) There was a dozen fresh roses on the table in the entryway and a bottle of Prosecco chilling in the living room. ^ The main bathroom was huge and all done in beautiful grey marble. Bathroom amenities are Acqua di Parma. Unfortunately, could not see the canal from my room as the hotel doesn't have as much frontage as it does length.

There is a terrace right on the canal however where breakfast is served. All the hot items are made to order and are included in the Platinum breakfast. I did have to forego the 1000 pt welcome amenity. It was surreal to be sitting out there on a lovely, sunny day with the gondolas floating by.

The service was impeccable throughout the hotel. I'm really glad I got to experience this while the point redemptions are such a good deal.

I used the Alilaguna boat transfer as recommended by matravelguy and everything went smoothly to transfer from/to the airport.

And the most amazing thing is my 2 night credit posted the day after check-out, just like the old days!
How much is the Alilaguna orange line boat from the airport vs. the service through the hotel where they pick you up from the gate and take you right to the hotel?
Old Oct 17, 2018, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mpeterson78
How much is the Alilaguna orange line boat from the airport vs. the service through the hotel where they pick you up from the gate and take you right to the hotel?
The Alilaguna is 15 Euros one way or 27 Euros round trip.

From hotel website:

This hotel does not provide shuttle service.
  • Alternate transportation: Private Hostess Assisted Transfers; fee: 245 EUR (one way) ;reservation required
  • Estimated taxi fare: 110 EUR (one way)
mpeterson78 likes this.

Last edited by margarita girl; Oct 17, 2018 at 11:45 am
Old Oct 17, 2018, 1:41 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
The Alilaguna is 15 Euros one way or 27 Euros round trip.

From hotel website:

This hotel does not provide shuttle service.
  • Alternate transportation: Private Hostess Assisted Transfers; fee: 245 EUR (one way) ;reservation required
  • Estimated taxi fare: 110 EUR (one way)
Thanks! I'll definitely be sticking to the Alilaguna boat.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 1:35 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Has anyone booked recently? I am a Lifetime Platinum Premier from Marriott, and used to the Marriott's ways of making reservations on points without having the points at time of booking (so I can book something a year in advance knowing I'll get the points over my business travel the next six months). I can't seem to do this with this property - not sure if this is something Starwood hasn't adopted yet for their properties. Also, the only room available listed on Marriott for points is a Deluxe SMOKING room. Has anyone actually reserved the basic room to find that they get a smoking room?? I can't imagine using a ton of points, or paying 1200 euro a night for a smoking room..
Old Oct 29, 2018, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by boydandrewt
Has anyone booked recently? I am a Lifetime Platinum Premier from Marriott, and used to the Marriott's ways of making reservations on points without having the points at time of booking (so I can book something a year in advance knowing I'll get the points over my business travel the next six months). I can't seem to do this with this property - not sure if this is something Starwood hasn't adopted yet for their properties. Also, the only room available listed on Marriott for points is a Deluxe SMOKING room. Has anyone actually reserved the basic room to find that they get a smoking room?? I can't imagine using a ton of points, or paying 1200 euro a night for a smoking room..
Starwood has never offered that option. Per the wiki in this thread, Luxury Collections should be moving to Marriott platform on Dec 11.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...thread-46.html

I suspect you might be able to make award reservations after that without having points in your account. However, there is no way of knowing if Marriott will be on schedule and based on the stellar IT we’ve seen over the last 2 months, I wouldn’t bet on it.
damon88, bhrubin and boydandrewt like this.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 3:06 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Wow - hope everyone is OK with the major Acqua alta- 70% of Venice is flooded and St Mark’s Square is under water for the second day. St Mark’s Basilica was inundated, its baptistery totally flooded with the mosaic floors covered by over 2 feet of water.

We were in Venice on Halloween 2006 when a similar Acqua Alta flooded the city. That one was intense but I don't think the Basilica flooded and there weren't severe wind storms as there are now.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 7:28 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist

Starwood has never offered that option. Per the wiki in this thread, Luxury Collections should be moving to Marriott platform on Dec 11.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...thread-46.html

I suspect you might be able to make award reservations after that without having points in your account. However, there is no way of knowing if Marriott will be on schedule and based on the stellar IT we’ve seen over the last 2 months, I wouldn’t bet on it.
Thanks! I guess I’ll check in December..now, has anyone been stuck in a Deluxe room and was it smoking?? I would be so upset to spend 240,000 points to be in a smoking room. I can’t imagine hotels have these in 2018..and that’s the standard points option!
Old Oct 31, 2018, 7:39 pm
Community Director Emerita

I would be so upset to spend 240,000 points to be in a smoking room. I can’t imagine hotels have these in 2018..and that’s the standard points option!
Send them a note. The email is in the wiki. It'll be sorted for you easily.
boydandrewt likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
If you decide to proceed you could email the hotel and express your concerns about getting a smoking room.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 9:20 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by damon88
Wow - hope everyone is OK with the major Acqua alta- 70% of Venice is flooded and St Mark’s Square is under water for the second day. St Mark’s Basilica was inundated, its baptistery totally flooded with the mosaic floors covered by over 2 feet of water.

We were in Venice on Halloween 2006 when a similar Acqua Alta flooded the city. That one was intense but I don't think the Basilica flooded and there weren't severe wind storms as there are now.
Yes. Would love a report on the impact to the Gritti. I think their rennovation did something to help withstand high water, but this was extreme.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.