Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Questions about travel industry rate [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Questions about travel industry rate [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2010, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by naumank
I'm going to stay at a JW property next weekend and a friend who works in the travel industry booked us several rooms using the TVL rate code. Are I still going to be able to ask for a free room upgrade and get access to the executive lounge?
I would think so there is nothing in the rate rules against upgrades or lounge access. Be warned, however, TVL rates do require an ID card of a company in the travel industry, be prepared to show one at check-in. You may want to lay low if your friend will not be traveling with you.
Old Dec 12, 2010, 7:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by aeolos
I would think so there is nothing in the rate rules against upgrades or lounge access. Be warned, however, TVL rates do require an ID card of a company in the travel industry, be prepared to show one at check-in. You may want to lay low if your friend will not be traveling with you.
Agree completely. The hotel could charge the full rack rate if they wish to if the guest does not qualify for the reserved room rate. The rate rules say that explicitly:

Rules Travel Industry rate, valid ID required, see Rate Rules

When You Check-in

Please be prepared to show proof of eligibility for your rate (such as a membership card, corporate or government identification card, or proof of your age).

FWIW as a TA I dislike this abuse of discounted TA rates as it gives the hotel chains an excuse to cut back or curtail altogether these perks.
Old Dec 12, 2010, 8:10 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
I've used the Travel Industry rate a few times over the years and have always received my elite benefits. So don't worry too much.

I also agree with the previous posters concerning showing a valid ID. This is one of the few rates I have used where hotels have actually asked for my ID. Also check the rate rules very carefully, different hotels have different requirements for this rate. So just because you might be able to use it at one place, doesn't necessarily mean you can at another.
Old Dec 12, 2010, 10:06 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC
My friend will be staying at the hotel too. She has booked 3 rooms under her name (the rule says one can book a total of 3 rooms during each stay). I guess the reception desk will use my name to check into my room, right?
Old Dec 12, 2010, 10:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
My friend will be staying at the hotel too.
Ah! Excuse me if I came on a little strong but you hadn't mentioned that in your OP.

And yes, I would expect if you're all there together once she's given her TA I.D. they will check you in and you can give your MR number and enjoy the status perks though the stay won't count towards nightly stay credit and no MR points or FFM.
Old Dec 12, 2010, 10:12 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
Are you checking in before your friend? You might run into problems if that is the case. As long as your friend's name is on all three rooms, I don't think you should have a problem.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 10:23 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by VA1379
Are you checking in before your friend? You might run into problems if that is the case. As long as your friend's name is on all three rooms, I don't think you should have a problem.
I will check in after my friend. I am ok with no mileage credit as I already have 113 elite qualifying nights this year. Getting the perks is more important.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 12:08 pm

Programs: UA Gold, MR Plat (life gold), SPG Gold
I will check in after my friend. I am ok with no mileage credit as I already have 113 elite qualifying nights this year. Getting the perks is more important.
The rate qualifies for elite benefits and you will receive mileage/points and night credits. There is another rate available for travel agents that is much more restrictive and requires coupons. Those rates do not qualify for points and benefits according to the rules.

I suggest however that you have your TA friend put the room in your name and associate your MR # with the reservation. That way they can potentially have your upgrade waiting for you if there is one to be had.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 2:01 pm

TVL rate points/nights issue

Hi all,

I recently stayed in a Marriott property with a (legitimately used!) TVL code. However, I was only credited with one night (I stayed two) and 530 points. The bill came to £132, so I was expecting more points.

I called Marriott (UK) who told me that TVL rates sometimes accrue nights/points, other times they don't. Does anybody have any experience with this at all? In the past, I have always received the expected points. The T&Cs don't appear to mention anything about not being eligible for elite nights/points.

Any tips or experiences with this?
Old Jul 5, 2011, 3:04 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
I've been able to use the Travel Industry rate in the past. I've never had any issues with points/nights being credited correctly.

I might suggest calling in again and talking with someone else and see what they say. But even if what the agent told you was true, either the rate receives points/nights credit or it doesn't. You shouldn't be getting points for one of the two nights, but not the other.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 1:35 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Silver, Starwood Preferred Guest Plus, Hilton HHonors Gold
I have used the TVL rate (legitimately!) twice recently at the same hotel. Neither time has the points nor nights credited. The first one has now posted (after emailing my bill in to CS) and I've literally in the last 10 mins just scanned in my second bill and emailed it to CS so hopefully that will be sorted too.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 7:11 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Plat
I work in the travel industry and am entitled use the TVL rate for 99% of my stays at Marriott. I have never experienced this issue myself nor been aware of any of the 40+ coworkers who I travel with having issues.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 9:41 am

Well, I've spoken to Marriott Rewards and to the hotel who both tell me categorically you never receive points/nights for TVL rates - and if you have, you shouldn't have! Quite surprised, really. Apparently it's because "the rates are so cheap". The rate rules and Marriott Rewards T&Cs, however, do not specify this anywhere...

Just to add, I paid for this rate myself (so not invoiced to a company, for instance) and wasn't told anything either at the time of booking, at check in or departure!
Old Jul 6, 2011, 10:19 am

Programs: AS MVP,Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Gold, Starbucks Gold card
Don't get confused with the Travel Industry rates and the Airline negotiated CREW rate. I've had the TVL rate credited when I travel as leisure, but never on the crew rate. I'm told the crew rate is way below any other discounts therefore cannot receive any credits.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 10:47 am

My rate was TVL, all the other bookings I've made have been too. Frustrating inconsistency!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.