Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Questions about travel industry rate [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2003, 1:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium

Hi all. I couldn't find the answer anywhere so figured I'd ask you all, the experts.

I have a stay coming up at a JW Marriott. The reg rate (stunned) is $99, AAA rate $94. Told my friend about it who's also attending the same conference I am (we're switching from another Marriott nearby where the conference rate is $148). She called & asked what the travel industry rate was (she does have a legit travel agent card) & they said $79, so she booked a room for each of us & then called me & told me to call the hotel & give them my Marriott # & cc info for my room.

So - here's the ? - will I still get Marriott points/stay credit at the travel industry rate? The 800# res agent said yes, but she also sounded very young, so I wanted to double-check. I don't want to arrive & discover I don't, & the rate (undoubtedly) would be much higher.

I'd like to use the $79 rate (since this trip is on my nickel, not a client's), but am willing to go up to the AAA rate if it turns out I don't get points for the travel rate.

Anyone know?

------------------
Sharon
Old May 18, 2003, 2:32 pm

http://www.Marriottrewards.com/terms/earning.asp
Old May 18, 2003, 2:43 pm

I earned points at Marriott CPH at a TVL price.
Old May 18, 2003, 4:33 pm
Original Poster

Thanks - now I can enjoy staying there knowing I'm saving $$ & still getting points.

------------------
Sharon
Old May 18, 2003, 8:50 pm

Programs: HH Silver
As a TA, Marriott is very kind to us, more so than other hotel loyalty programs, and I very much appreciate the kindness and usually go out of my way to recommend the chain to clients. I've made MR silver the last 3 years running--all at discounted TA rates.

BTW, I would have your friend in the biz with you when you check in because usually anyone that has the TA rate has to produce some sort of recognized industry i.d.
Old May 19, 2003, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tcook052:

BTW, I would have your friend in the biz with you when you check in because usually anyone that has the TA rate has to produce some sort of recognized industry i.d.
</font>
Just to piggy back on this...here's what your friend will need:

***** TRAVEL INDUSTRY EMPLOYEE RATES, CON'T *****
** VALID FORMS OF ID **
-1- IATAN PHOTO ID CARD (THE PREFERRED ID)
-OR- ANY TWO OF THE FOLLOWING
-2- AUTHORIZATION ON AGENCY LETTERHEAD FROM A MANAGER
-3- ARC/IATA LISTING
-4- BUSINESS CARD
-5- CALLING THE TRAVEL AGENCY DIRECTLY FOR VERIFICATION
-6- SATW/MTWA ID MEMBERSHIP CARD
-7- COPY OF VOIDED WHOLESALER VOUCHER
Old May 19, 2003, 10:43 am
Original Poster

My friend & I are on the same flight & arriving together. Socrates, thanks for the list. I'll email her the thread so she remembers to bring her i.d., although I'm assuming she travels w/ it.

Actually, I'm looking forward to checking the JW Marriott out. It was a Le Meridian in New Orleans, and Marriott evidently bought it (which I understand the local Ritz Carltons were not too thrilled about, but a judge just ruled in Marriott's favor - was in the paper yesterday) & converted it into JW.

I've stayed at the regular Marriott New Orleans many times on biz, so thought it would be nice to go to the new one. Might switch to that in the future based on experience.

Edited to add: I'll post a report on the JW NO after my trip if someone hasn't done so by then.

------------------
Sharon

[This message has been edited by SkiAdcock (edited 05-19-2003).]
Old May 19, 2003, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by SkiAdcock:
My friend & I are on the same flight & arriving together. Socrates, thanks for the list. I'll email her the thread so she remembers to bring her i.d., although I'm assuming she travels w/ it.

Actually, I'm looking forward to checking the JW Marriott out. It was a Le Meridian in New Orleans, and Marriott evidently bought it (which I understand the local Ritz Carltons were not too thrilled about, but a judge just ruled in Marriott's favor - was in the paper yesterday) & converted it into JW.

I've stayed at the regular Marriott New Orleans many times on biz, so thought it would be nice to go to the new one. Might switch to that in the future based on experience.

Edited to add: I'll post a report on the JW NO after my trip if someone hasn't done so by then.

</font>
Some people believe Ritz-Carlton should be our only luxury brand but unfortunately this just isn't practical, hense the new Bulgari Hotel brand and the fact that JW's are no longer a brand extention but are now a brand of their own (so that'll make 3 luxury brands in the portfolio)

BTW: Tell your friend to make sure she/he brings their IATAN card-it's the best ID and most travel agents do carry it on them

[This message has been edited by socrates (edited 05-19-2003).]
Old Mar 21, 2008, 9:03 pm

'TVL' Discount code for Marriott hotels?

If you enter 'TVL' in the promo code box when reserving a Marriott property, it reduces the room price by about 15-25% - which can mean a significant discount depending on the property. This code is described as for "those in the travel or travel-related industry."

Can one use this even if he is not in the travel industry?
Old Mar 21, 2008, 9:24 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles, MR, HH, ICH/PC, Avis Pref., Hertz Gold
I think you answered your own question.
Old Mar 21, 2008, 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by keeton
I think you answered your own question.
I ask because the rate description is very vague, i.e. "travel-related" could mean anything.
Old Mar 21, 2008, 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by SkySide
I ask because the rate description is very vague, i.e. "travel-related" could mean anything.
I would assume it would be for travel agents, off duty flight crew, airport employee's just to name a few. Be prepared to show travel industry ID.
Old Mar 21, 2008, 11:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SkySide
Not really. A guy who works at a gas station isn't really in the travel industry even though cars, which can be rented, are used when traveling. A person who works at Target, which happens to sell suitcases, isn't really in the travel industry. At least not in my opinion...I'm thinking imverge's interpretation is correct & this is one of those "if you have to ask, it's probably not for you" kind of situations.
Old Mar 22, 2008, 5:47 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Note that depending on the hotel, the TVL rate can have different requirements. Sometimes it refers to just about anyone with a job in a travel industry based company (hotel, airlines, etc.). Other times, it is usuable on by travel agents with a IATA id card. So even those in the travel industry have to be careful when using this rate.

I have been able to use this rate at times when on contract work for some airlines. This is a rate that I have actually been asked to show my id more times than not. So if you want to use this rate, be prepared to show your id.
Old Dec 12, 2010, 4:57 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC
Are Rooms Booked with Travel Industry Rate (TVL) Entitled to Platinum Benefits?

I'm going to stay at a JW property next weekend and a friend who works in the travel industry booked us several rooms using the TVL rate code. Are I still going to be able to ask for a free room upgrade and get access to the executive lounge?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.