Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Questions about travel industry rate [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Questions about travel industry rate [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2011, 11:57 am

Does anybody think this is worth pursuing?

I do find it quite frustrating that the MR T&Cs and rate rules don't specify any exclusions for such rates.

Not sure if it's worth trying to reach Gold now, if this is what it's going to be like...
Old Jul 7, 2011, 12:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
If the T&C & rate rules don't specify exclusions, it's worth fighting to get the points/nights credit. Ask them to provide proof to you in writing that it's exempt if they continue to say it isn't, and remind them both the T&C & rate rules aren't showing any exclusions.

Cheers.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 12:16 pm

I've always found the UK call center to be useless and have had an issue similar to yours.

What I always do now is phone the US number (on Skype) speak to and agent get there name and fax the invoice directly for their attention you will have the points credited to your account in a couple of days.

The US call center is on a different level to the London one who make up the rules as they go.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 10:15 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by 64K
Well, I've spoken to Marriott Rewards and to the hotel who both tell me categorically you never receive points/nights for TVL rates - and if you have, you shouldn't have! Quite surprised, really. Apparently it's because "the rates are so cheap". The rate rules and Marriott Rewards T&Cs, however, do not specify this anywhere...

Just to add, I paid for this rate myself (so not invoiced to a company, for instance) and wasn't told anything either at the time of booking, at check in or departure!
well, thats not true! I travel to Chicago every week as my "airline" has moved to Chicago, so I use the TVL code every week. Rates so cheap is a joke......the Marriot UIC is about $200 without the code, put the code in and its $498!!
Old Jul 13, 2011, 7:28 am

I received a helpful response from Marriott Rewards in the US. Almost all properties honour points for the TVL rates, however it is up to each individual property to decide. The hotel I stayed at does not give points except for any incidentals. Disappointing, but now I know that I need to check when I book!
Old Jul 13, 2011, 2:18 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by 64K
I received a helpful response from Marriott Rewards in the US. Almost all properties honour points for the TVL rates, however it is up to each individual property to decide. The hotel I stayed at does not give points except for any incidentals. Disappointing, but now I know that I need to check when I book!
which one so i know not to book!!
Old Jul 14, 2011, 4:04 am

It was the Marriott Meon Valley Hotel & Country Club, near Southampton, UK.
Old May 17, 2012, 4:17 am

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Titanium Lifetime/UA/JetBlue
Travel Industry Rate Question to Marriott Concierge

I wonder if the lovely MC can help me here.

I am an Airline Employee and often use Marriott Hotels during my time off for holidays and visiting friends overseas. I have been a loyal Marriott customer for 20 years and use combinations of full rates and TVLs when they are available.

Marriott (like most Hotel Groups) sometimes offer discounted rates for Travel Industry employees for which an employee ID is required at Check in.

The rates are sometimes better than others but sometimes (more and more often these days) there is a public discounted rate that is cheaper, such as an Advance Purchase rate or a Weekend Special or other Promotion.

I read recently that Friends and Family rates are no longer eligible for earning points or nights credit, and I wondered if this also applies to other discounts such as the TVL rate. One of my friends recently was told by a hotel employee that the rules have changed and discounts such as these are no longer rewarded with points or nights credit.

This would seem a misguided decision if it is true as I will simply be pushed to Starwood or Hyatt that do allow earning opportunities on these rates and especially as they are often more expensive than the Advance purchase etc (the reason the AP rates are not good for me is because they are no changeable or refundable).

Can anyone help with this?
Old May 17, 2012, 4:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by markzz2
I wonder if the lovely MC can help me here.

I am an Airline Employee and often use Marriott Hotels during my time off for holidays and visiting friends overseas. I have been a loyal Marriott customer for 20 years and use combinations of full rates and TVLs when they are available.

Marriott (like most Hotel Groups) sometimes offer discounted rates for Travel Industry employees for which an employee ID is required at Check in.

The rates are sometimes better than others but sometimes (more and more often these days) there is a public discounted rate that is cheaper, such as an Advance Purchase rate or a Weekend Special or other Promotion.

I read recently that Friends and Family rates are no longer eligible for earning points or nights credit, and I wondered if this also applies to other discounts such as the TVL rate. One of my friends recently was told by a hotel employee that the rules have changed and discounts such as these are no longer rewarded with points or nights credit.

This would seem a misguided decision if it is true as I will simply be pushed to Starwood or Hyatt that do allow earning opportunities on these rates and especially as they are often more expensive than the Advance purchase etc (the reason the AP rates are not good for me is because they are no changeable or refundable).

Can anyone help with this?
as far as I can remember I believe that change only impacted the F&F rate - I dont recall it impacting any other rates
Old May 17, 2012, 5:10 am

Programs: PC Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold,HHonors Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite
I know if I use a travel agent FAM certificate for travel agent rates they earn no points or nights
Old May 17, 2012, 5:20 am

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Titanium Lifetime/UA/JetBlue
Originally Posted by ktremor
I know if I use a travel agent FAM certificate for travel agent rates they earn no points or nights
Never heard oif a FAM certificate, does it entitle you to a free room?

The Travel industry rates bookable on line are not that cheap..... often they are more than public rates for some reason.
Old May 17, 2012, 5:35 am
Suspended

Programs: Hertz Gold / Hilton Diamond / Hyatt Plat / Marriott Gold / IC RA / SPG Plat
fam is familiarisation (allows you to familiarise yourself with the property) and is afaik a freebie, not a reduced rate.

I too am keen to know if the TA rates are 100% eligible for points and elite nights. I have stopped myself using the rate many times in the past for this very reason of uncertainty.
Old May 17, 2012, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ktremor
correct...FAM-Tastic and PLAN-Tastic do not earn credit/points
Old May 17, 2012, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Goonerfish
fam is familiarisation (allows you to familiarise yourself with the property) and is afaik a freebie, not a reduced rate.

I too am keen to know if the TA rates are 100% eligible for points and elite nights. I have stopped myself using the rate many times in the past for this very reason of uncertainty.
Marriott requires the "certified" agent to produce a certificate at check-in, these certificates are automatically mailed out to "certified" agents annually...once they have used their supply they are out until the next year
Old May 17, 2012, 9:19 am

Programs: PC Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold,HHonors Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Goonerfish

I receive 7 certificates each year due to having an IATA travel agent ID. These certficates allow me to get when available rooms from $50-$150 depending on the brand for up to 4 nights.

The site now will not allow you to use to the code for this rate unless you log into the travel agent website.

If you do not have the certificates do not book this rate as they ask for the certificates at check in every time I have used them.

I only use them when the rates are high and I can get the FAM rate as they are not points/night elegible unlike other hotel chains that I can earn points and nights on travel agent rates.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.