Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Seoul, Korea

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Seoul, Korea

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2018, 5:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Thanks for the updates. I've overheard people being assigned lounge seatings at check in during really busy times, but I always was able to just pick the more convenient one on a day by day basis. I've also stayed over holiday periods when the two seatings happen on days other than Saturday. At times, there has been a substitute breakfast buffet for adults only in the lobby level bar/restaurant for those with club lounge access; you have the choice and the variety in location can be nice, although AFAIK the food offerings are supposed to be exactly the same. Families with kids under seven are directed to Aria (Italian bistro buffet casual restaurant one floor below the lobby level) for breakfast, which then has the atmosphere of a kindergarten, but supposedly a bigger buffet to compensate for being banned from the lounge. Personally, I've never dared go near Aria when it's filled with the kids.

No kids under 13 are permitted in the lounge during evening hours, defined as the start of happy hour (5 or 6 pm) to closing (10 pm).
Old Nov 15, 2018, 6:56 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
The past few years I have always been offered my choice of breakfast at Aria or the lounge - I alternate between the 2.
Yes, the evening split shift in the lounge is saturday only.

Thank you all for the info that the same limo bus that services the Chosun also services the Plaza, to be honest
I usually don't pay attention to the other stops, and the routes have varies over the years.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 6:57 am

Originally Posted by Jimgotkp
Have you considered the CY Namdaemun? All three hotels are near each other. I chose the CY Namdaemun over the Plaza due to really great reviews at the CY. It seems like the rooms at the Plaza are small and the lounge/breakfast isn't great due to overcrowding issues. The CY has a nice lounge with a good breakfast spread (including made to order eggs) and a few suites you might be able to get an upgrade to.
Thank you Jimgotkp for your suggestion of the CY. As an SPG guy, I am not familiar with the CY brand - is the quality similar to
the Chosun/Plaza, or a Sheraton, or a 4 Points? And if I go the CY route, it seems that Times Square is better quality?
Old Nov 15, 2018, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by IluvSQ
Thank you Jimgotkp for your suggestion of the CY. As an SPG guy, I am not familiar with the CY brand - is the quality similar to
the Chosun/Plaza, or a Sheraton, or a 4 Points? And if I go the CY route, it seems that Times Square is better quality?
But Times Square has a terrible location.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by Aventine
But Times Square has a terrible location.
Basically the same as D-Cubed, where I have stayed many times, and on the subway, from what I can see.
Actually, about a year ago when I was staying at D-Cubed, my suppliers drove me to Times Square Mall for lunch.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 10:36 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by IluvSQ
The CY brand in Korea is quite nice... quite upscale versus what you might see in the US/Canada/Europe. I would put it along the lines of a Sheraton actually.

I stayed at the Times Square property and the two things I liked about that property were the base rooms being slightly larger with an actual office desk and the breakfast being served at the restaurant instead of the lounge. IMO, the Namdaemun location was better but the base rooms were smaller which meant no office desks were in the room, the breakfast is also only served in the lounge. The breakfast spread was still quite nice in the lounge but you can't beat a breakfast spread at a restaurant.

If you can work with the location of the Times Square property, it's not that bad either. I only stayed there since it was near some family members.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 1:49 pm

I just got back from a stay at the Plaza, my ninth in the last two years. It is one of my favorite hotels. On every stay, I have been upgraded to a suite, so the room size is not too important to me. I do know the regular rooms are small, but oh what a view that more than makes up for it! My daughters stayed in one on a stay. The single rooms actually have the best view as they face city hall. The suites are on the backside and face nothing really, except there is one suite on each end of the north side of the hotel. As far as the airport shuttle, it is the same for all the hotels in the area. The line begins at the Plaza and goes to the Chosun immediately afterward. As far as the lounge service, I have never found it too crowded. They do have a split service on weekends, but it is strictly voluntary and this last weekend, it was not even mentioned and the lounge was quite empty. I only witnessed it crowded once during the summer a year ago, but I still did not have a problem getting a table. It has never been so crowded that I have been offered service in the restaurant.

I always have meant to make a stay at the Chosun or one of the other hotels, but the cost difference does not seem worth it. I also would have a hard time not visiting the ladies in the lounge who are always so sweet and greet me by name. I have a colleague on a previous trip who turned his nose up at the Plaza, saying the Chosun was a superior property, but during his (first) stay at the Plaza with me, he came away quite impressed and said he was pleasantly surprised.

Again, I have always received a suite upgrade. The lounge has a fine breakfast, that also include beef bulgogi, which I gorge on. The smoked salmon is especially good there. Dinners can vary. They include three hot dishes to go with the cold. The meal last Friday was one of the best I've had in Seoul, but the one on Saturday was subpar. I'm always treated to a fruit tray and a small bottle of wine in my room when I check in. This is not too important as such is found in the lounge, but it is a nice touch. I suspect the service at the Chosun is quite similar, and the primary difference is price. I would be very happy if you stayed at the Plaza and provided a comparison.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by lucycan
Anyone stayed at the new PLAZA hotel, Autograph Collection?
Yes, many times. It is one of my favorite hotels. I have always been upgraded to a suite. Breakfast and dinner are quite good and it has a fabulous location. It also is usually the cheapest option of the centrally located Seoul hotels.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 3:06 pm

I ended up booking the Plaza, and will report back if I remember after my stay in Jan.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 3:14 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold
I just got back from a three day stay at the Courtyard Times Square. I thought it was a bargain compared to all the other properties in Seoul. The location is a bit challenging compared to the two properties the OP mentioned but I was still happy with it. Metro is around the corner, there are many local restaurants in walking distance and it sits on top of an upscale mall. The hotel was very nice and a full breakfast was served in the restaurant. Saturday happy hour was also split into two different seatings.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 3:50 am

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
1st stay at the Westin Chosun this week. Yesterday (Thursday) I strolled into the lounge around 5:45. Happy Hour had already begun. Food was excellent. Today is rather crowded as I type this from the lounge. I had to hunt for a seat in a back corner area. The staff are fantastic all around.

Room is clean. 2/3 shower door is better than 1/2. AC works great. Two windows I can open to let fresh air in. Towels are plush. Bed is super comfortable (I prefer firm beds with lots of support). There is an outlet near the head of the bed to plug in my CPAP. Minibar is cold. Hot water is hot and cold water is cold. Bathroom lighting fair. Only 3 beers served in the lounge...Stella Artois (5%), Bud & Cass (4.5%). WiFi speed good. Two separte tissue dispensers...one in the bathroom and one on a night stand. Good quality toiletries. Good water pressure. The shower drain worked properly. The bathroom mirror doesn't fog up when taking a shower.

A Plat Premium arrival gift was a coupon for snack plate in the lobby lounge. I wasn't seated promptly and stood around feeling awkward until someone recognized me. The snack TOWER was huge. Some finger sandwiches and lots of different deserts. No way I could finish it.

Access to the lounge and breakfast in Aria is granted by scanning your room key card. I love it! Access to the fitness center is similar, but you have to hand over your card for the attendant to scan.

The fitness center is great with lots of good equipment and views. It was weird having to check in on the 3rd floor then having to walk through a maze of the men's locker room and go down a flight of stairs to get to the actual gym. Opposite upon completion of your workout.

I'd definitely stay here again.

Last edited by CO-PLAT; Nov 16, 2018 at 4:01 pm
Old Nov 16, 2018, 8:38 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
No upgrade at all as a PP, not even to a junior suite or even high floor (club level) room?
Old Nov 16, 2018, 9:41 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
No upgrade at all as a PP, not even to a junior suite or even high floor (club level) room?
Did OP mention no upgrade for PP? I didn't read anything about upgrade or not.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by CIT85
Did OP mention no upgrade for PP? I didn't read anything about upgrade or not.
I'm asking CO-PLAT (not OP) whether or not he/she was upgraded. The post immediately above mine reports on a stay as a PP and suggests that there was no upgrade, but doesn't exactly state this.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 9:52 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'm asking CO-PLAT (not OP) whether or not he/she was upgraded. The post immediately above mine reports on a stay as a PP and suggests that there was no upgrade, but doesn't exactly state this.
That's what I was referring to. CO-PLAT did not mention anything about the room itself or upgrade.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.