Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Seoul, Korea

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Seoul, Korea

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2018, 8:07 pm

Seoul cat 4 or 5 with pool and sauna

Any recommendations for a cat 4 or 5 Seoul property that has a pool and sauna with jacuzzi that is free of charge for guests? Was looking at the J.W. Dongdaemun but reviews appear to say it’s chargeable to use the facilities. Lounge and breakfast and close to transportation and touristy stuff will be a plus. Thanks in advance.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by myperks
Any recommendations for a cat 4 or 5 Seoul property that has a pool and sauna with jacuzzi that is free of charge for guests? Was looking at the J.W. Dongdaemun but reviews appear to say it’s chargeable to use the facilities. Lounge and breakfast and close to transportation and touristy stuff will be a plus. Thanks in advance.
Westin Chosun has everything you're asking for.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 7:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by myperks
Do you have Starriott status? Otherwise you won't get lounge access or breakfast without booking a (higher) rate that includes these privileges and even then, you should read the rules carefully if you're traveling with additional people.

Many hotels in Asia seem to charge for using health clubs and swimming pools, but often these charges are waived for elites.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by Aventine
Westin Chosun has everything you're asking for.
Thanks. Will look into this.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Do you have Starriott status? Otherwise you won't get lounge access or breakfast without booking a (higher) rate that includes these privileges and even then, you should read the rules carefully if you're traveling with additional people.

Many hotels in Asia seem to charge for using health clubs and swimming pools, but often these charges are waived for elites.
Thanks. I’m a PP.

Maybe the pool is enough and we will just go outside for the traditional Korean baths.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 2:01 pm

Programs: WoH Glob, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Any updates on the best property to spend a few days to explore the city? Price point not a concern, coming in as a plat, just would like something that would appeal to a mid 30's couple who would like to do tourist things and experience some nightlife. Have never been to seoul, but there doesn't seem to be an amazing property that is the obvious choice for us. Should we just forego staying at a marriot property and go for the 4 seasons which I hear is great and has a really good location? Thanks!
Old Nov 8, 2018, 6:19 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
You might want to check out the https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...oul-korea.html thread. This one being in the old legacy forum probably won't get the views as one in the new merged forum might get.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by jinrop
Any updates on the best property to spend a few days to explore the city? Price point not a concern, coming in as a plat, just would like something that would appeal to a mid 30's couple who would like to do tourist things and experience some nightlife. Have never been to seoul, but there doesn't seem to be an amazing property that is the obvious choice for us. Should we just forego staying at a marriot property and go for the 4 seasons which I hear is great and has a really good location? Thanks!
It depends how much you want to splurge and what you want from your stay. FS Seoul is the best luxury hotel choice in the city for Executive Lounge, hardware, high end finishes and dining.

the candidates for you:
JW Marriott Dongdaemun - new-ish and near touristy things like a Korean traditional market and Zaha Hadid designed Design Plaza.
newly renovated JW Marriott Seoul
RYSE in Hongdae- great for going out, dining and nightlife.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 3:17 pm

Programs: WoH Glob, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Thanks so much for your input, I hadnt even considered or really looked at Ryse at all but think that it will be perfect for us!
Old Nov 14, 2018, 1:17 pm

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Westin Chosun vs Seoul Plaza

I have stayed at the Westin Chosun over 50 times, and know it well. I see that the Seoul Plaza next door is some 20% cheaper.
In searching the master thread, I see very negative reviews of the Plaza's lounge being too small and overcrowded.
I wonder if anyone could compare the 2 - I am looking for free breakfast as a platinum, possible evening snacks, and suite upgrade
( Chosun is some 90% success).
I will be arriving into Gimpo, so will take the subway, but departing from ICN - is there a limo bus at the Plaza as there is at the Chosun?
Old Nov 14, 2018, 5:09 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Have you considered the CY Namdaemun? All three hotels are near each other. I chose the CY Namdaemun over the Plaza due to really great reviews at the CY. It seems like the rooms at the Plaza are small and the lounge/breakfast isn't great due to overcrowding issues. The CY has a nice lounge with a good breakfast spread (including made to order eggs) and a few suites you might be able to get an upgrade to.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 9:40 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
Originally Posted by IluvSQ
I will be arriving into Gimpo, so will take the subway, but departing from ICN - is there a limo bus at the Plaza as there is at the Chosun?
The bus just dropped me off at the Westin a half hour ago and it stopped at the Plaza immediately prior.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 9:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Yeah. I've been on buses between the WestinChosun and INC that have stopped at the Plaza and a couple more hotels. Still, you should check routes and schedules carefully as IMO one of the advantages of the Westin is tha airport bus service every 20 minutes or so.

People concerned about lounge crowding should be aware that this occurs at the Westin too. If I count the floors, slightly more than half are Executive, meaning lounge access, plus some elites on other floors are guaranteed lounge access, plus IIRC everyone staying in suites (on any floor). I've seen times when lounge access in the evening is divided into shifts and also times when there's a line for breakfast seating. OTOH, at least the Westin bans kids from the lounge, which helps enormously.

Normal suite upgrade at the Westin is to a junior suite, of which there are several categories, with one being listed for SNAs currently. The difference might be only the location (floor) as all of these junior suites seem to be the same size.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 12:25 am

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I've seen times when lounge access in the evening is divided into shifts and also times when there's a line for breakfast seating. .
This is confusing. My benefits p
amphlet says Cocktail Hour 6-8PM. Immediately below that it says "(Sat 1st seating 5:00PM - 7:00PM, 2nd seating 7:00PM - 9:00 PM). "Sat" must mean Saturday.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 1:16 am

The lounge is the busiest on Saturday evenings with Koreans doing staycations. This is why they split it to two two-hour blocks. If you decide to arrive between 5-7, you are expected to leave at 7.
I personally don't bother with the happy hour on Saturdays. It is too much of a zoo.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 3:19 am

Bus schedule:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.